• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Spirst

Well, fellow Greninja mains, it's been a fun two weeks since I unlocked everything on the 3DS version. However, the Wii U version is now upon us, and I am obligated to finish everything on that as well. As you may expect, this task will take quite a bit of time, so it's unlikely you'll see me very often these next few weeks, but I will be back and ready to talk with you guys about match-ups, techniques, and everything else relating to Greninja.

But for now, see you all later!
Lot of content on the Wii U so we will see you again next year!

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
that nerf did almost nothing. this char is still good and you can still destroy people with hydro pump lol.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Oof, I completely forgot about the 3DS conquest as soon as the WiiU version came out. My apologies, frog army.
Haha. It's alright. We've got a chance to redeem ourselves because this new Conquest has the ninja frog in it as well! ^w^

Does the Wii U version have conquests too? Probably, right? Are they the same as the 3DS version?

Sneak Frog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scrappert
Haha. It's alright. We've got a chance to redeem ourselves because this new Conquest has the ninja frog in it as well! ^w^

Does the Wii U version have conquests too? Probably, right? Are they the same as the 3DS version?
It does, actually. They're different, though the current one also has Greninja in it! I've been lending my support there, but I should also remember to support in the 3DS version.

Spirst

I'll be pretty surprised if team Alpha Sapphire (Greninja and Lucario) lose to team Omega Ruby (Charizard and Pikachu). The former two are more heavily used online and well...it's Greninja.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Well, Greninja and Lucario won at least. So far Greninja had an equal amount of losses and wins in Conquest. Though one of those was before Conquest was patched.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
So, in case anyone is having trouble with the Master Fortress: Dsmash will send the turret enemies into Cannonball effect right away, Greninja's Dair can take out Plasma enemies and Geemers with one hit, and you can Dair bounce the 3rd core three times to kill it. Definitely kill all the turrets ASAP, too. Don't think you can get away with skipping them.

Just finished Classic 9.0 without equipment, and I'm happy to say that Greninja can handle the fortress quite well, once you figure it out.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
You sneaky, sneaky frogs. Just when I think I have all your tricks figured out...

(also featured: me underestimating Substitute's counter frames)

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I never understood why you couldn't pick up the doll or the log, would give Substitute more of a purpose I think. First time I see someone use the doll for defense though, nice one =P

D

Deleted member

This thread is awesome. Would anyone like to add me and teach me a couple of Greninja things once I get my Wii U? I'm down to play with anyone.

Also, for any pokemon players that may be in here... Greninja now gets Gunk Shot via move tutor. Fairies aren't a switch in anymore, the monster just got scarier.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
So how is Greninja doing after the patch? Has any players been placing with him lately or did Greninja usage die down?

Despite the changes, I still bust out Greninja every now and then :3.

Spirst

So how is Greninja doing after the patch? Has any players been placing with him lately or did Greninja usage die down?

Despite the changes, I still bust out Greninja every now and then :3.
His options have been reduced a bit so it takes some getting used to. Overall, he's still a solid character despite the nerfs but I do think usage has died down some. Haven't seen as many Greninjas as I did pre 1.0.4. We're better off for it too I think since it's always annoyed me how people use characters just because they're good rather than actually liking the character.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
His options have been reduced a bit so it takes some getting used to. Overall, he's still a solid character despite the nerfs but I do think usage has died a bit. Haven't seen as many Greninjas as I did pre 1.0.4. We're better off for it too I think since it's always annoyed me how people use characters just because they're good rather than actually liking the character.
This, so much. If there's one thing that the patch made a bit better is that people who play Greninja now are probably going to be actually interested in the character, instead of just playing him because he's top tier (or seem to be, in Little Mac's case).

Also your avatar is awesome, like, oh my god it's beautiful.

Spirst

This, so much. If there's one thing that the patch made a bit better is that people who play Greninja now are probably going to be actually interested in the character, instead of just playing him because he's top tier (or seem to be, in Little Mac's case).

Also your avatar is awesome, like, oh my god it's beautiful.
Thanks. I have this one and another I'll use soon. These are snapshots I took in the Wii U version.

D

Deleted member

Hello Greninja mains!

I am trying to main Greninja myself since his combo ability is extremely appealing to me. I was doing OK-ish with him before, but now I outright suck as him. I am trying to set up combos with his dash attack and up tilt, but I can't seem to execute them for whatever reason. I am also struggling in applying Hydro Pump against people who are trying to recover.
I've noticed that I've gotten worse with my performance with him in For Glory, where I have lost as him many times.

Anyways, do you have any general tips that could improve my gameplay with Greninja? What do you usually do with Greninja?
Thanks in advance.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
His options have been reduced a bit so it takes some getting used to. Overall, he's still a solid character despite the nerfs but I do think usage has died down some. Haven't seen as many Greninjas as I did pre 1.0.4. We're better off for it too I think since it's always annoyed me how people use characters just because they're good rather than actually liking the character.
I see. Yeah, that annoys me sometimes too. (Btw, I legit like Greninja. Didn't do all that breeding for 6IVs for nothing lol.) It's hard for me to stand out as a Sonic player sometimes since there's so many now in my experience.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Oooh my~ Greninja on Wii U feels great. Glad to have the sliding usmash now that I've got a C-stick again.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Jesus Christ! BNF on Greninja is still in effect on the Wii U. I can perform Yoshi's egg proper without going into Egg Roll but my "Up-B" still register as a Side B. Sigh.. Pikachu and Lucario do not have this problem. Why is it with my ninja?

-Rant

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
but...its not. i don't think i've sd'd with shadow sneak once on wii u...

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I don't know man. Myself and a several others have messed up on our Up B. So if you do diagonal direction and B, does it yield a diagonal Up B or a Pure Side B?

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
I don't know man. Myself and a several others have messed up on our Up B. So if you do diagonal direction and B, does it yield a diagonal Up B or a Pure Side B?
The best way to avoid accidentally using Shadow Sneak is to use it on purpose. Each time you get launched off stage, use it to get close to the stage, then just Up B straight up to reach the stage. I`ve never messed up my recovery after I started recovering this way.

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
Something I've always done is input up b straight up then input the direction. Greninja pauses for like half a second while prepping his up B so you have time. I rarely SD with him like that anymore.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Thanks. I have this one and another I'll use soon. These are snapshots I took in the Wii U version.

Am I allowed to do artistic things to that second one?

Also, for any pokemon players that may be in here... Greninja now gets Gunk Shot via move tutor. Fairies aren't a switch in anymore, the monster just got scarier banned.
ftfy

:<

:186:

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Wait, they actually banned Greninja from OU? Haven't been paying much attention to the pokemon meta because of Smash. hehe.
Not yet, but the chance of Greninja getting banned after Mega Salamence is gone is pretty high. So yeah, if you want to have fun with Greninja in OU, you better do it while you can.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Not yet, but the chance of Greninja getting banned after Mega Salamence is gone is pretty high. So yeah, if you want to have fun with Greninja in OU, you better do it while you can.
:C Greninja is the staple pokemon of my teams. That sucks.
I never thought Greninja of all things was broken.
Greninja has great coverage and speed. That's why he's so goood in pokemon.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
The only things that could wall Greninja in X/Y were Fairies and now they're completely destroyed by Gunk Shot. Now whether you can beat Greninja depends on what set it's running and by the time you find out, it already made a big hole in your team.

Plus, Protean with a Life Orb is the same thing as giving Greninja one of the -ate abilities like Pixilate and Aerilate, only that it works on every single move while also changing his type. Considering what a boom Aerilate was for Pinsir and Salamence... Yeah.

Last edited:

CoNgL3

Smash Rookie
Hey guys how do you perform the downwards shadow sneak?

I remember reading it somewhere before but havt been able to find it

- Cong

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
The only things that could wall Greninja in X/Y were Fairies and now they're completely destroyed by Gunk Shot. Now whether you can beat Greninja depends on what set it's running and by the time you find out, it already made a big hole in your team.

Plus, Protean with a Life Orb is the same thing as giving Greninja one of the -ate abilities like Pixilate and Aerilate, only that it works on every single move while also changing his type. Considering what a boom Aerilate was for Pinsir and Salamence... Yeah.
Tenta is coming back as a solid answer because it doesn't really run extrasensory anymore. For the same reason, mega venu is also a check again. Empoleon is finding its way into our teams as a greninja check. They exist, and hopefully the time it takes for greninja's suspect test to come up, more are found, but I don't it stars. This is everything infernape wished it could be

D

Deleted member

Happy Thanksgiving guys. Also, it's great to see that there are actually competitive pokemon battlers here. :]

But yeah, there aren't anymore safe switch ins to Greninja since it also gets Low Kick to deal with Empoleon and Extrasensory isn't that rare, either. I'll personally be joining the OU suspect test if there is one (which is very likely) and vote against banning our lovely ninja.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I have the Wii U version now! Is it just me or is Shadow Sneak slower in it? I feel like the shadow travels slower.
i think its actually the same speed.

on that same topic, shadow sneak in the air is a great killing tool off stage.

Top Bottom