• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Plumber's Crack - Mario General

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
I hold down "down" on the joystick when I do it. I know it might not do anything, but it is a N64 habit for Mario. Also, I tend to to hit the B button about 8 times while he is spinning and then HOLDING B down when he stops spinning and raises in the air with his arms and legs extended. I get full boost from it 95% of the time.

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
I hold down "down" on the joystick when I do it. I know it might not do anything, but it is a N64 habit for Mario. Also, I tend to to hit the B button about 8 times while he is spinning and then HOLDING B down when he stops spinning and raises in the air with his arms and legs extended. I get full boost from it 95% of the time.
i tend to hold down also as a force of habit lol

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Down B spikes (as I have mentioned earlier) I have not been able to recreate it at all since the first time I have done it. Not sure if it was a fluke, or I am just being bad. Anyone else ever done one?

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Speaking of Down B spikes (as I have mentioned earlier) I have not been able to recreate it at all since the first time I have done it. Not sure if it was a fluke, or I am just being bad. Anyone else ever done one?
I have a couple of times but, like you, it's only happened once in a blue moon and I can't recreate it. Can somebody find the hitbox responsible?

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I am glad someone else has been able to pull it off.

In 64 you have to hit the top of your opponent with the very bottom of your hitbox on the last hit of Mario's tornado. It is a lot easier to pull off in 64.

Here is a terribly drawn image of this situation:

Orange: Mario's hitbox
Red: Opponent's hitbox
White: Overlapping hitboxes

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
so it is possible to spike with tornado in pm?
this is news to me

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I really should have mentioned this earlier. I was playing on a Wii U at the time, therefore my set up was a nunchuk combination. I'm not quite sure, but that may be why I got lift from the A button while holding B. The way to get full recovery potential with this set up seems to be( DownB->DownB while A mashing), implying that you press b twice.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Does anyone know the difference in landing lag between his up b in this game and his up b in melee? It seems like he has a lot less in pm.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Fox I usually just forward throw > tech chase, or U-Throw to Down B (If there is a platform for me to land on). If he is low percent bait for Crouch cancel d-smash or his tornado. Any other suggestions guys?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I plan on going a lot of Mario at our upcoming Gameclucks tournament, so expect some videos from that tournament to be up soon after.

Or just watch us live on Saturday on my stream at www.twitch.tv/62bitgaming

Dunno when the project m singles is gonna start, but I'll try to get myself on stream as much as I can (which shouldn't be too terribly difficult because I'm running the stream myself)

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
I plan on going a lot of Mario at our upcoming Gameclucks tournament, so expect some videos from that tournament to be up soon after.

Or just watch us live on Saturday on my stream at www.twitch.tv/62bitgaming

Dunno when the project m singles is gonna start, but I'll try to get myself on stream as much as I can (which shouldn't be too terribly difficult because I'm running the stream myself)
I will watch you live. Should be awesome! Good luck!

dash attack/downsmash>grab>bthrow(on a ledge)>cape trolling
Yes, Great stuff. #1 goal against Fox is GET HIM OFF THE STAGE at all costs. Cape is too good against him.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i actually think that cape is a lot more situational of an edgeguard than most players think - top level foxes aren't just holding diagonal up forward to recovery and a ledgedrop bair is sometimes better or any number of other moves might be better. cape is high reward medium/high risk, a lot of the time you can get equal reward for lower risk. a missed cape puts you in a horrible position the vast majority of the time.

i actually think that short hopping off the stage with a down air is one of the best edgeguards in the game, myself.

mario's down air is boss.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
His down air is indeed amazing.
I will experiment more with down air edge guarding today.

Rising down air sets you up so well for another aerial, grab, cape, or groud attack (tilts, smashes, jab>anything).

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
so i totally forgot to post my thoughts in this thread a while back T-T my bad

and today i'm super duper busy so i won't be able to do that until late tonight if at all

oh well

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Been working on breaking my SSB64 habits in Project Melee. One of the hardest things to stop doing was approaching so damn much from the air. Shield stun is a lot smaller in this game. Every time I approach with a falling Dair I was hoping they would draw their shield and I could L Cancel to grab. It works about 5% of the time. If anyone is approaching in the air hoping for a shield make sure you are doing a cross upaup and landing out of their range. I am starting to get more comfortable with Mario's ground game. What are everyone's thoughts on approach methods in general?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
my thoughts are that unless you are one of very few characters (all of which are very very toppest of tiers) you should not be approaching because approaching is worse than defense in smash and always has been haha

mario is not one of those few exceptions, so make them come to you if at all possible.

otherwise, cross them up and keep yourself safe.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Good point. I was reflecting on previous matches and I did notice that when I didn't approach I usually was able to get the first hit. I have a couple of hours to try this out at Smash Lab tonight.

Also, how did Mario and your Dair edge guarding go at the past tournament?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i didn't get to play nearly as much as i was hoping, so i didn't get enough of a chance to mess around as mario T-T

next tournament for sure, as well as hopefully a smashfest soon i'll be playing some project m mario so that i can upload some matches for y'all.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
SmashLab was tonight. Things went a lot better. I realized how epic Mario's Bair is. You can spam that thing and keep anyone at bay, especially if you have platforms to work with. Which Mario should we be watching for? I don't see anyone big playing him lately.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
I main Mario in PM because there is no doc :( but he is an amazing character in this game. Honestly, I think he has potential to become a top tier character. I have actually been doing really well using only Mario in PM tourneys. If used correctly he can be a very powerful character. I feel like only good aspects of Mario/Dr.Mario's move sets from Melee were put into this PM Mario.

His cape is totally over powered, I successfully approached with it during a match lol.
His recovery is the best it has ever been...seriously.
His F.smash is over powered with a massive hitbox and knock back.
His d.air, u.air, u.smash, d.throw, u.throw, and u.tilt are ideal for comboing.
His wavedash is still great

I really can't find much wrong with him. I feel like I can finally approach with him now, rather than waiting for an opening. I wish I new more about who he can chaingrab in this game and at what percent. Does anyone know if it's the same or similar to Melee?

Too bad he can't Up+B cancel :(

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Just found these boards, but wanted to say sup guys. I'll be frequenting these boards and think I'm gonna start getting into P:M seriously. Just wanted to say hi :)

Th3bman

Smash Rookie
Has anybody found any massive combos with Mario they'd like to share? Although I'll admit I spam sometimes, I find it very easy to fireball>dashattack>usmash>usmash>uair>uair>onejab>dsmash most characters. Mario's upsmash has incredibly high combo potential at low percents where you can easily chain 3. Does anyone know if this move is crouch cancellable?​

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Does anyone know who mario can chain grab and at what percents?
The list of characters Mario can CG is massive. Besides the lightest of the light characters, he can probably CG just about any character in the game at the appropriate %'s. That doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get a very long CG though, some characters it may only be 20-30% or less, but yes Mario gets around town.

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Falcon
Bowser
DK
Sheik
Marth
Link
Ike
Pika
Lucas
Diddy
ZSS
etc

I'd recommend looking at the Melee Mario boards, see if Magus has a post covering CG %'s. They probably will not be exactly the same for PM, but it should give you a decent idea.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
Anybody else feel like they made Mario's AI a little better than the other characters? I know it's not the case, but when I fight him as the CPU it's the only CPU that pisses me off. He's such a little prick! lol Too bad I don't know anyone that mains him. I'd like to see how annoying he can really be.

bryu_1337

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody found any massive combos with Mario they'd like to share? Although I'll admit I spam sometimes, I find it very easy to fireball>dashattack>usmash>usmash>uair>uair>onejab>dsmash most characters. Mario's upsmash has incredibly high combo potential at low percents where you can easily chain 3. Does anyone know if this move is crouch cancellable?​

fair-fair works really well. dair-dsmash or dair-usmash also work quite well, especially at kill percents. other than that, melee combos really carry over pretty well

Top Bottom