• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Plumber's Crack - Mario General

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Don't mind gimpy. :V

Everyone makes mistakes.

As long as you know.

Speaking of down B.

that move has kinda sorta almost good properties.

but man when it hits. you almost dont regret it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Don't mind gimpy. :V

Everyone makes mistakes.

As long as you know.

Speaking of down B.

that move has kinda sorta almost good properties.

but man when it hits. you almost dont regret it.
Needs the 64 Spike. And it's by far prettier in melee.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's ok for an amazing character to have a useless move.

I second Mario btw, and main him in teams.

:phone:

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
I dont think its useless
there are certain situations which it works well
ex: you can dair>downb>utilt chain or go to uair to fsmash
depends on the percent you hit em at of course

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, interesting...
I never really use the Down B outside of recovering-- never heard of people comboing with it.
I love Project M :D

(Also, SHBAWDing for the win)

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
(SHBAWD)
Man I still havent mastered it yet
timing got me looking stupid.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
nvm i got the timing down
yes it is awesome

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
also & my fav

Mario fair(on stage) -> Mario fair(off stage)

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Bair would be the best option for safe edge guarding. My other favorite is when someone is going to recover is to Run>Pivot>Short Hop>Nair>Jump>Bair. You want to make an effort to hit your opponent with the last frames of the Nair so you can Bair almost immediately.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
why not just bair after the first short hop
so you bair jump bair

edit:you can also just short hop
bair bair jump bair

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
why not just bair after the first short hop
so you bair jump bair

edit:you can also just short hop
bair bair jump bair
^ yup

I need to get Mario's jab reset down. I wonder if there is a Dtilt>jab reset. Gotta get a video together sometime soon.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
I'd say the only use for dtilt is around 80%
so they actually pop off the ground
so u can fsmash or fair
I think we talked about the earlier in the thread

Dr.Yogi

Smash Rookie
Yoooo Mario Main here! Honestly... I still dont like the down B. I like that its better than melee Down B, but when i look at the options the other characters have received as far as move list changes I personally would maybe like a better version of it (luigi's down B <-- praying for something like this) or maybe rework the actual animation.

Like the FLUDD was a nice idea in brawl but i imagine if you used it like a jetpack from the actual supermario sunshine game. You could idk go for a charge thing like diddy or make it a short burst animation you have to charge up on stage and fires you off to the side like wolfs side B maybe you can even rip the wolf side B animation for it. Throw on a semi spike type priority or something idk.

I know I sound greedy for wanting more since mario is already doing so much in PM already. I just see the down B as a super off beat move(maybe too off beat) that even when there is a situation to use it combo wise ud be better off with something else or recovery wise can help you horizontally but vertically lets you go up 2 inches and drop 1 inch. net gain is close to nothing and god forbid some one hits you while spinning. Im going to keep playing around with it. Maybe i can ledge guard tether using characters with it if or something but i see Link and Lucario reworks/tweaks and look at Mario and say why cant his whole kit be useful?

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Mario's downb is fine as it is
though it is harder to use combo wise
its not needed combo
it is an amazing recovery move
if you have mastered getting it to its highest length
recovery is all it is used for
Mario has much better combo options

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Oh yes, he can, but he only gets one.

Actually, it's easier to UpB cancel with Mario here, and I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone mention that Mario can't do it more than once if you do it near perfect like you had to do in Melee(but this is just assumption on my part). Personally I haven't played Melee since I learned about UpB Cancel, so I don't know how difficult it is.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
What, like where you land on the edge of a platform and the edge animation overrides the cooldown animation? 'Cause I've not been informed of anything other than that.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
No, doc (and maybe regular mario idk) in melee had this trick where you could use grounded up-b and put out the first hitbox, but never leave the ground and go into the landing animation right away. Supposed to be really difficult, like Samus's SWD. No idea how it was performed though.

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
No, doc (and maybe regular mario idk) in melee had this trick where you could use grounded up-b and put out the first hitbox, but never leave the ground and go into the landing animation right away. Supposed to be really difficult, like Samus's SWD. No idea how it was performed though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWMDcnbPgy0 it shows how to do the up-b cancel

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I was minutely disappointed that this board doesn't see a whole lot of discussion on a daily basis...

Then I realized the Brawl Mario board was just as slow, and that's for the main game. So I guess that should be more depressing, but it's meh.

Mario for God Tier.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
So you can only do it once per match in Project Melee? I am at work, but want to try this after. If there is success I will upload a vid and post it here.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Nono, he was talking about Doc Mario's UpB cancel, which you cannot do in Project M, not the Walljump out of UpB cancel I was talking about before. I didn't know the UpB Cancel even existed in Melee until today, not being a Doc/Mario player in Melee.

I'm not even sure if Mario could do it in Melee, might be Doc specific.

Top Bottom