• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

qwervo

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I won a small local tournament (with one other player my level) as fox and now I'm transitioning to be a full pichu main. I even bought a pichu plushie so people don't think I'm trolling. I don't have a lot of time to play but I'm practicing how to dash dance effectively. I've already been able to use it to punish people's laggy moves. If you're in the seattle u-district we have smash club every Thursday!

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
So I noticed this when trying to browse this pretty much barren section: http://smashboards.com/threads/autocancel-aerials-on-shield-frame-advantage.342682/

What exactly does this mean? I'm pretty sure autocancel is when you just throw out a move fast enough and the lag automatically goes poof, but if this can be done consistently, does that mean I could just get away with nairing on people's shields for free? I'm assuming this works for all characters?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
your nair, if you throw it out as late as possible, gives you a +1 frame advantage (you'll be able to act 1 frame before your opponent gets out of shield stun)this means if you throw out a super late nair on shield, you'll be able to jab or grab before your opponent can act.none of your other aerials have any advantage on shield.

qwervo

Smash Rookie
What exactly can Pichu get away with against Fox, or punish fox for?
grab->upthrow->upthrow/upsmash->uair is a nice way to rack up some damage against the fast fallers if you can get the grab in. I like to dashdance/wavedance around them and wait for them to throw out a laggy move like fsmash.

qwervo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I got to try out my pichu at our weekly friendlies! dthrow -> jab reset -> dthrow chaingrab seems to be somewhat effective, and I suspect it's untechable at certain percents with some of the fast fallers. Anyone know more about it?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yeah it's alright against bad people.
better players will just SDI out most of the time.
I usually do it on reaction rather than actively trying to go for it.

usually you're better off going for tech-chases.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm gonna make a video demonstrating and explaining the uses of some of my signature Pichu techniques sometime soon.
I'll cover dash-canceled utilts, Derf jumps (and other doraki techniques), and some UpB things.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Glad to see it's been at least a bit more lively in here!

Hey everyone. I won a small local tournament (with one other player my level) as fox and now I'm transitioning to be a full pichu main. I even bought a pichu plushie so people don't think I'm trolling. I don't have a lot of time to play but I'm practicing how to dash dance effectively. I've already been able to use it to punish people's laggy moves. If you're in the seattle u-district we have smash club every Thursday!
Also, ALRIGHT NEW PICHU MAIN! <3

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
New on the pichu boards just using him for fun but i think pichu has a chaingrab on jigglypuff if they don't di. Downthrow after like 10 or 15 percent seemed to work. Any major tips as i want to bring pichu to a competitive level!

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
is pichu like pikachu in the sense of only being able to sweetspot the ledge with the up special from over the ledge?
yup, but there are little tricks you can do like using your momentum from upB to bounce you onto the ledge and stuff like that, they are really hard to learn though.

New on the pichu boards just using him for fun but i think pichu has a chaingrab on jigglypuff if they don't di. Downthrow after like 10 or 15 percent seemed to work. Any major tips as i want to bring pichu to a competitive level!
Generally a bad idea to go for that regrab, in my opinion, because they can get out of it very easily. And they can rest you out of it, which sucks because rest will kill you if you have any percent at all on most stages.

for general tips, I'd say make sure you can shffl nairs 100% of the time. Really try to develop a good dash dancing game and understand the concept of baiting, because pichu relies on it heavily. The important thing with pichu is to always be moving, you never want to be standing still. working on a strong movement game is essential. other than that, you're pretty much just gonna learn to get people off stage and gimp.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pichu can dthrow chaingrab several characters (like ganon) until pretty reasonable percents.Once the fast fallers get out of uthrow cg percents, you can start dthrow cging them too.
you also have an fthrow->regrab that works on characters like peach or zelda, but it's escapable if they DI away.

Learning to tech-chase effectively needs to be stressed though, it's SO important for pichu, because there are a lot of times where you just can't chaingrab people, but tech-chasing works on almost everyone.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I just took Pichu to tournament level and it...kind of worked well? I almost made it through a round of the losers' bracket after being promptly knocked out by a Marth in winners' bracket.

Is there anything I can do against Marth? I was just trying to bait him to the platforms and come up with up airs and neutral airs, but it wasn't that effective.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Marth is rough. lots of patience. lots of baiting.
it's all about getting in little hits, then getting out.

I really like to try and bait marth into coming into the air then double jumping back and jolting or using agaility to get around his enormous hitboxes.

bair is oddly good in the matchup, the way it twists your hutbox it actually pretty good for getting under marth's fairs.

I'm gonna do my write up of the marth matchuo really soon, so check the mu thread in a couple days

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yeah it's cool. Doesn't do much for you, but it looks sexy.
I like doing moonwalk->sticky walk with pichu because it looks funny, but pichu is one of the hardest characters to multi-moonwalk with. His multi-moonwalk looks really cool though if you pull it off. takes a lot of practice though.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I just took Pichu to tournament level and it...kind of worked well? I almost made it through a round of the losers' bracket after being promptly knocked out by a Marth in winners' bracket.

Is there anything I can do against Marth? I was just trying to bait him to the platforms and come up with up airs and neutral airs, but it wasn't that effective.
Against Marth, if I'm not mistaken, it's a good idea to approach by firing a midair Thunder Shock at him and then punish his method of dealing with the projectile and combo him the best you can. And I'm pretty sure Marth's recovery is actually easy to punish with an off-stage Thunder.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
jhefakjsfhvdlkbl no never approach with jolts. marth can just jab through them.
and if you're too close, he'll just fsmash through it and then you're dead.
jolts have too much end lag for that.

retreating jolts are good in the matchup, but never approaching.

and offstage thunder works.... but I wouldn't make it your primary edgeguard...
usually invincible nair is your best choice.
the marth slayer is just universally a good option
and you can ftilt or use the invincibility on dsmash if you read a missed sweetspot

jolts are pretty good to use to force marth to double jump with he's off stage, once marth loses that, he should be dead if you play correctly and react fast enough.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
jhefakjsfhvdlkbl no never approach with jolts. marth can just jab through them.
and if you're too close, he'll just fsmash through it and then you're dead.
jolts have too much end lag for that.

retreating jolts are good in the matchup, but never approaching.

and offstage thunder works.... but I wouldn't make it your primary edgeguard...
usually invincible nair is your best choice.
the marth slayer is just universally a good option
and you can ftilt or use the invincibility on dsmash if you read a missed sweetspot

jolts are pretty good to use to force marth to double jump with he's off stage, once marth loses that, he should be dead if you play correctly and react fast enough.
Actually, I DID mean to say to use the Nair as the big attack to follow the Thunder jolt. I completely missed that and I thank you for noticing that. The jolt can act as a distraction to Marth as it gives him a bit more to have to manage with coming at him, one of the best examples of this being used precisely is Mew2King vs GIMR at McSmashter 3, even in the match where GIMR new a bit more about Pichu, Mew2King still managed to pull it of successfully. Tunder edge-guarding is best done when you follow it up with the Nair as you said, more damage more knock-back. I'll admit I should've explained my tactics a lot more in depth the first time and thank you for the additional match-up strategies.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I mean, gimmicks aside, you don't want to be using a lot of b moves against marth most of the time. jolts are good but suuuuper situational and it takes a lot of experience to figure out when it's safe to use them.
abusing mobility and invulnerability when possible is the only way to do the matchup.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I mean, gimmicks aside, you don't want to be using a lot of b moves against marth most of the time. jolts are good but suuuuper situational and it takes a lot of experience to figure out when it's safe to use them.
abusing mobility and invulnerability when possible is the only way to do the matchup.
Yeah, I guess using TunderShock too much would give the opponent some reads to use.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
jolts are just slow and laggy. it's really easy to react to and punish, so in order to use them with any success you need to bait something or learn to use them in situations that marth can't punish them (i.e. if he's off stage or if you use retreating jolts when he tries to approach with an aerial)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
like coming down on it from the air?
not many. the moves have to be disjointed to hit him out of uair or utilt.
so like marth's dair or link/y.link's dair come to mind.
Roy could do it too I guess.
I think kirby has a disjointed hitbox too, but I forget.
G&W.
thats like all I can think of at the moment.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yes.
Edge-canceling or platform canceling? people often confuse the two.
but Pichu can use both of them pretty effectively.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
to taunt cancel you literally just hit shield to interrupt the animation.
as for platform canceling, you can really only do it with uair or nair (the timing is pretty specific for pichu)
it's best use is out of a shield drop.
in theory, if you were consistent enough, you could just do them and incorporate that into your combo game, but pichu's range is so tiny, and the timing is so precise for him that it isn't really practical (at least at this point in the metagame)
with uair you have to be able to hit them where your uair hitbox first comes out.

nair is best as a kind of "get the **** off me" move, it's really hard to combo out of it because it hits so low, but if they tech it you can grab them or something.

uair is way better at converting into a combo, but it's also the harder of the two to do (but they are both difficult, so w/e)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
oh yeah that's 64 taunt canceling.
It doesn't work in melee.
they added it to P:M tho.
and I think SD:R, but I could be wrong..
there are hacks to get it in melee. I think you can get a custom version of 20xx with it, but I don't follow that stuff enough.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
We're doing a low-tier tournament at our local weekly this week, so hopefully I'll get some nice videos of my slightly rusty pichu.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Not sure how I'll actually place, VaNz might show up and play zelda, he wins legitimate tournaments with his zelda as is
I'll probably get something like 7th or 5th depending on who shows up/how well I'm playing.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I've been double-posting in this thread like a monster lately, so before I go on, I apologize.

anyway, I've been playing around with teeter cancels lately.
Pichu can do some pretty cool stuff using them, notably, edgecancel upB on platforms and then reverse direction really quickly without leaving the teeter animation. you can also teeter cancel out of run on the stage (or a platform too) and then reverse upB and it will perfect agility pretty much 100% of the time from what I can tell.

I've also been practicing an old tech me and ICG used to mess around with back in 2011, PC edgehog out of agility. the timing is pretty specific, and I'm not consistent enough to use it in real play yet, but it's a very stylish, and also practical (but difficult due to the momentum carrying effect of pichu's upB) fast edgehog maneuver.

I've realized that a lot of things I've been talking about lately have been pretty advanced things a little above the level of most pichu players, so I'm hoping to make a little pichu tech demo/tutorial, with heavy focus on the advanced stuff, especially upB mechanics, because they are pretty cute.

I'll probably stream it or just upload to youtube. or both if I'm not lazy.
I think I'll try to do like a video a week.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
yeah, I don't know what PC means, but it's probably something that escaped my memory

That's great!

I don't think anybody would care if you triple posted here, tbh...

Top Bottom