• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
lmao I just practiced that edgehog for like...30 minutes and didn't get any sort of consistency. Also, I've got a question on something much less technical- When do I use jolt? I like to pretend that I'm a pretty decent Pichu player, but I really only ever pull him out in friendlies and I'd like to get to a point where I can feel comfortable using him in tournament play. I feel like effective use of jolt would be a big help because...well, it's a projectile. And projectiles are good. But it seems like such a slow move that I either get punished for it or I'm so far away and the cooldown is so long, that I can't really force them to a platform or something like you can with other projectiles in the game. It's worked out for me in edgeguarding situations here and there (destroys Samus's bomb-jumping shenanigans offstage) but I'd like to know if anyone more experienced with the character has any advice.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I'm still new to Pichu, but I also use Pikachu in project m, and they seem to be pretty similar with their jolts...

I just use it to force the opponent to do stuff that puts him in a weird position or to do combos. If you jolt, the opponent has to either take the jolt, roll, sidestep, jump, or shield. You force the opponent to do one of these and get them into a bad position and go from there. Using them for combos kind of works if you can get obe out soon enough, since it'll reac the opponent before you do and will keep them in stun long enough for you to do something else.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Jolts are really weird.But I am also really weird.
My pichu is super jolt happy.
You can throw them out in neutral if you are dash dancing around and then full hop retreating jolt. It's pretty safe.

grounded jolts are a nono.
I find myself approaching with jolt a lot... sometimes I get away with it, but it shouldn't really work.
Obviously, they are amazing for edgeguards.
normally, you just like full hop or shorthop jolt depending on the angle they are coming from.sometimes you get the chance to just do a standing jolt and let it wrap around underneath the stage when people recover from bellow. I really only ever find myself using that kind of jolt on falcon or ganon though.

A cool little frame trap I like to do is full hopping at someone standing under a platform and conditioning them to shield and using a jolt at an angle that the jolt will wrap around the platform and I am underneath it. the jolt comes around a prevents any punish of my endlag, and it has enough stun that I get a free grab out of it.those are hard to do though, and super situational.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Kirby's downthrow ****s pichu up.
you're pretty much one of the only characters kirby can legitimately tech-chase.
your standard tech rolls are absolute trash, don't use them in this scenario.
you might be able to get away with doing a standing tech and buffering a spotdodge or roll a couple of times (pichu and pika have the fastest standing tech in the game, so it can be hard to deal with for some players who aren't as experienced with it)

generally, missing your tech is actually the best way to deal with it.
if they are a little slow, you can get up roll out.
your get up attack gives kirby a lot of trouble, if you do it quickly, because he's real bad and it takes him awhile to act out of dthrow.

another, more difficult, option is to miss your tech, and bait the jab reset, then SDI it and nair. it's pretty much the best option, since kirby is slow and can't double jab like sheik, but it's actually pretty difficult with kirby's jab (at least, I personally have more trouble with it)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
[Pichu board update:]

I got permissions to the matchup thread, the video thread, and the pichu player finder thread

I'm pretty busy today, but this week I'll update the matchup thread and the player finder thread, then I'm going to totally reformat the video thread.

If there are any videos you'd like to add to the video thread, let me know.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Ooh, a useful guide is pinned now.

So, Kirby's down throw does have enough hitsun to force you on the ground? I wasn't asking about techchasing earlier. I had just heard that Marth at least could escape feom it (a few cpus also did when I was messing around). I'll probably have to ask in the Kirby boards.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pichu can't jump out of it, if that's what your asking.
you'll hit the ground.

I think you might be able to at higher percents, but you should be dead by then anyway.
I'll check though.

oh also grim tuesday's agility guide is stickied, I think it's pretty good at breaking agility stuff down for beginners lol.
every other stickied guide is questionable though.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
my pichu got 3rd in a low-tier bracket today.
actually a little salty about it.
I straight wrecked, then in winners finals game 5 my usmash traded with a roy's fsmash sweetspot and it didn't look pretty.

Then losers finals I played a roy that I beat in winners semi's and proceeded to kill myself repeatedly 3 of 4 games we played (one of which I 3 stocked him on dreamland, losing a stock to a suicide dair).

W/e, I ****ed **** up.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
my pichu got 3rd in a low-tier bracket today.
actually a little salty about it.
I straight wrecked, then in winners finals game 5 my usmash traded with a roy's fsmash sweetspot and it didn't look pretty.

Then losers finals I played a roy that I beat in winners semi's and proceeded to kill myself repeatedly 3 of 4 games we played (one of which I 3 stocked him on dreamland, losing a stock to a suicide dair).

W/e, I ****ed **** up.
Not to mention Roy w0n cuz h3 h4z T3H PH1R3!!!!!111!11one1!11 In all seriousness though, getting 3rd with Pichu is still pretty sweet.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Not to mention Roy w0n cuz h3 h4z T3H PH1R3!!!!!111!11one1!11 In all seriousness though, getting 3rd with Pichu is still pretty sweet.
It's an oddly brutal matchup for both characters.
Roy's DD game is so good, but then he just can't do anything out of his DD stuff, especially if you can DI his stuff correctly.
I haven't been killed by a reverse blazer in like 2 years.
His sh fair will also stop standard aerial approaches or w/e if you get lazy about it, but once you bait that, he's boned.
At the same time though, once I get in, because pichu has to be so close to people, if I make a mistake, I eat roy's sweetspot, which sucks some ****, since pichu and like kirby are the only character's he's actually gonna be landing that kinda thing on.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
It's an oddly brutal matchup for both characters.
Roy's DD game is so good, but then he just can't do anything out of his DD stuff, especially if you can DI his stuff correctly.
I haven't been killed by a reverse blazer in like 2 years.
His sh fair will also stop standard aerial approaches or w/e if you get lazy about it, but once you bait that, he's boned.
At the same time though, once I get in, because pichu has to be so close to people, if I make a mistake, I eat roy's sweetspot, which sucks some ****, since pichu and like kirby are the only character's he's actually gonna be landing that kinda thing on.
You seem to know a lot of things about the match-up, but be on the look out for my Roy because I live to perfect the Blazer metagame! >:3 Huehuehuehuehue!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
man, I wish the blazer was legit, but it's a total gimmick.
Doesn't mean it won't work sometimes, but with proper DI/SDI, that thing should not kill.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
man, I wish the blazer was legit, but it's a total gimmick.
Doesn't mean it won't work sometimes, but with proper DI/SDI, that thing should not kill.
Actually, as long as it's properly spaced right at the borderline of the sourspot at the tip and the sweetspot and angled horizontally enough, pretty sure it's guaranteed to work.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
it would be guaranteed if smash DI wasn't a thing. That doesn't mean it won't work on most people.
But it's never guaranteed.

Regardless, it usually puts people in a really bad position.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
it would be guaranteed if smash DI wasn't a thing. That doesn't mean it won't work on most people.
But it's never guaranteed.

Regardless, it usually puts people in a really bad position.
Yeah, SDIing out of something as instantaneous as that would be really hard to pull off.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I mean, yeah it is, in theory, but you should always know when roy is going to go for it.
Roy's always position themselves in a specific way to do it, almost always out of a dtilt or OoS, so you can kind of just get a feel for when they are going to go for it, and input the SDI accordingly.

The only roy who can get away with reverse blazers against my pichu is Z-Axis, and even then I still get the SDI almost every time, so he usually just goes for guaranteed things anyway.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I mean, yeah it is, in theory, but you should always know when roy is going to go for it.
Roy's always position themselves in a specific way to do it, almost always out of a dtilt or OoS, so you can kind of just get a feel for when they are going to go for it, and input the SDI accordingly.

The only roy who can get away with reverse blazers against my pichu is Z-Axis, and even then I still get the SDI almost every time, so he usually just goes for guaranteed things anyway.
As for my approaches, I almost never go for the dtilt way because that doesn't have enough hitstun for Roy to use it as a consecutive combo, since that's the case I'm always afraid of being punished with say a Nair or something fast like that. And when I do use the Blazer, there's actually a little trick I sometimes try where if you line the sweetspot with doing a vertical angle, your opponent has a chance of hitting one of the hitboxes near the end of the attack that's actually slightly more effective than a regular old sweetspotted hit at the bottom (In fact, I displayed this discovery in my Roy tech skill video Light A Candle). So be careful where you SDI if you get hit with a sweetspot of a more vertically aimed Blazer.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
I have decided to make Pichu my main in Melee, though I mostly play PM. Anybody got a link to best guides/videos for instruction and stuff?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
As for my approaches, I almost never go for the dtilt way because that doesn't have enough hitstun for Roy to use it as a consecutive combo, since that's the case I'm always afraid of being punished with say a Nair or something fast like that. And when I do use the Blazer, there's actually a little trick I sometimes try where if you line the sweetspot with doing a vertical angle, your opponent has a chance of hitting one of the hitboxes near the end of the attack that's actually slightly more effective than a regular old sweetspotted hit at the bottom (In fact, I displayed this discovery in my Roy tech skill video Light A Candle). So be careful where you SDI if you get hit with a sweetspot of a more vertically aimed Blazer.
Roy should never approach. period. Generally, roy's only way to set up a blazer on pichu is through a whiffed move or by dash dancing then doing a pivot dtilt. Like I'm not saying that reverse blazer doesn't work, but it's never unescapable. No matter what angle or spacing or w/e, you can SDI into the other bottom hits then SDI out before you reach the end of the move.

I have decided to make Pichu my main in Melee, though I mostly play PM. Anybody got a link to best guides/videos for instruction and stuff?
Welcome!
For right now, I'd suggest reading T0MMY's pichu guide, although it is a bit outdated, he covers the basics of how to use the character.
I also recently started a video series demonstrating all of Pichu's advanced techniques and all that fun stuff. There are only like two videos so far, but more will come in the near future.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to post here and I will be happy to answer!

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Roy should never approach. period. Generally, roy's only way to set up a blazer on pichu is through a whiffed move or by dash dancing then doing a pivot dtilt. Like I'm not saying that reverse blazer doesn't work, but it's never unescapable. No matter what angle or spacing or w/e, you can SDI into the other bottom hits then SDI out before you reach the end of the move.

Welcome!
For right now, I'd suggest reading T0MMY's pichu guide, although it is a bit outdated, he covers the basics of how to use the character.
I also recently started a video series demonstrating all of Pichu's advanced techniques and all that fun stuff. There are only like two videos so far, but more will come in the near future.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to post here and I will be happy to answer!
Thank you man. I will check it out later :)

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Roy should never approach. period. Generally, roy's only way to set up a blazer on pichu is through a whiffed move or by dash dancing then doing a pivot dtilt. Like I'm not saying that reverse blazer doesn't work, but it's never unescapable. No matter what angle or spacing or w/e, you can SDI into the other bottom hits then SDI out before you reach the end of the move.!
When it comes to approaches, Roy's SHFFL is still a force to be reckoned, especially in the likes of SHFFL Nairs/Fairs. Being sweetspotted with either of those can mean a lot of trouble as Roy can quickly send out another move after the SHFFL.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
well roy has 10 frames of landing lag after SHFFL fair and SHFFLs aren't hard to see coming anyway, i'm not seeing how it's particularly threatening compared to other characters. i guess roy could grab as a mixup but wavedash back also covers that option.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
When it comes to approaches, Roy's SHFFL is still a force to be reckoned, especially in the likes of SHFFL Nairs/Fairs. Being sweetspotted with either of those can mean a lot of trouble as Roy can quickly send out another move after the SHFFL.
Roy should never approach with an aerial. You'll have a bad time.
His aerials have no shield stun, and are suuuuper CC able (like all his moves)
they are also slow and laggy.

the only moves roy should use in neutral are grab and dtilt (or pivot sideBs as a mixup are ok)

I know when I play the matchup, the only thing that is hard to deal with is roy's dashdance.
If roy tries to approach, he's boned. And Pichu's CC is terrible.
But Pichu can DD too, and if you whiff an aerial, it's bad news.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Oh the life of a pichu main. "I hate the Puff, ICs, Falcon, and wait...almost every other matchup in the game." But then I remember Pichu's anime eyes and it is worth it.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Thank you man. I will check it out later :)
lol basically same for me. I play PM, and want to make Pichu my second main. Good luck figuring out the character, and hopefully coming up with some new stuff.

Edit: btw played some matches on netplay on anthr's ladder, won some matches with Pichu but talk about needing really good spacing and trying to cover 2-3 options at once. and you gotta take advantage everytime they are off stage.

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Roy should never approach with an aerial. You'll have a bad time.
His aerials have no shield stun, and are suuuuper CC able (like all his moves)
they are also slow and laggy.

the only moves roy should use in neutral are grab and dtilt (or pivot sideBs as a mixup are ok)

I know when I play the matchup, the only thing that is hard to deal with is roy's dashdance.
If roy tries to approach, he's boned. And Pichu's CC is terrible.
But Pichu can DD too, and if you whiff an aerial, it's bad news.
You're right about the CCing, but as long as you are off the ground is where the SHFFL can work better as the CC won't really work well there. Not to mention in the air he can use the meteor of the Dair, not likely he'll be going for that, but it's still a good idea to look out for little things like that to be as safe as you can.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
You're right about the CCing, but as long as you are off the ground is where the SHFFL can work better as the CC won't really work well there. Not to mention in the air he can use the meteor of the Dair, not likely he'll be going for that, but it's still a good idea to look out for little things like that to be as safe as you can.
I mean yeah, roy's shffl'd fair and nair are decent at stuffing Pichu's generic shffl nair approaches, but pichu doesn't have to approach roy.
Roy also has the same problem punishing rolls that marth does, but he has less shield stun/frame advantage, which makes it hard for him to punish anyone that approaches with shield in general.
Usually you can bait the aerials with dj back jolts or double jump then upB around him as a mix up.

crisis averted if roy just DDs correctly.
Pichu has no problem dealing with aggro roy.

EDIT: dair meteor also won't break CC, just btw.

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I mean yeah, roy's shffl'd fair and nair are decent at stuffing Pichu's generic shffl nair approaches, but pichu doesn't have to approach roy.
Roy also has the same problem punishing rolls that marth does, but he has less shield stun/frame advantage, which makes it hard for him to punish anyone that approaches with shield in general.
Usually you can bait the aerials with dj back jolts or double jump then upB around him as a mix up.

crisis averted if roy just DDs correctly.
Pichu has no problem dealing with aggro roy.

EDIT: dair meteor also won't break CC, just btw.
Yeah, Roy does have problems with sheilds, and the jolts can sure hurt both swordsmen. And what I meant with the meteor Dair was when Pichu's midair, because if that lands on you by surprise (Especially after 40% damage), prepare for the Fsmash or whichever move Roy uses next. But either way, it seems you have quite the knowledge of what Pichu can do to Roy.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
pichu's nair actually has more range than roy's meteor hitbox, so you must have some garb spacing if you're getting hit by it lol.
but if you tech in place from the dair into grab, there isn't anything roy can do, so it's pretty risky for him to go for it
if roy just stays on the ground its a lot harder

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
pichu's nair actually has more range than roy's meteor hitbox, so you must have some garb spacing if you're getting hit by it lol.
but if you tech in place from the dair into grab, there isn't anything roy can do, so it's pretty risky for him to go for it
if roy just stays on the ground its a lot harder
Yes, as long as you can foresee the Dair and tech accordingly, Roy would definately be in trouble. I think for Roy to get a good chance of landing a Dair like that in the first place would be after Dtilt or Uair (And if Pichu's at the right percent and position, Fair, believe it or not). So yeah, it's good to look out for those unorthodox Roy combos and options. Now, lets say we're dealing with a platform, what are Pichu's options if he gets meteor Daired, techs it, but Roy ledge-cancels his Dair off the platform? I think Roy could possibly go for things like another arial, Flare Blade, Double-Edge Dance, Counter, and possibly Blazer depending on where Pichu was hit onto the platform.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I would just utilt you.
Pichu has the fastest standing tech in the game.
Utilt is also super disjointed and spaced correctly, roy's counter won't hit pichu out of it.
Roy's dair is just bad lol. It has situations when it's alright if you meteor with it, but it's so easy to react to.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Yes, as long as you can foresee the Dair and tech accordingly, Roy would definately be in trouble. I think for Roy to get a good chance of landing a Dair like that in the first place would be after Dtilt or Uair (And if Pichu's at the right percent and position, Fair, believe it or not). So yeah, it's good to look out for those unorthodox Roy combos and options. Now, lets say we're dealing with a platform, what are Pichu's options if he gets meteor Daired, techs it, but Roy ledge-cancels his Dair off the platform? I think Roy could possibly go for things like another arial, Flare Blade, Double-Edge Dance, Counter, and possibly Blazer depending on where Pichu was hit onto the platform.
if by unorthodox, you mean bad, then yeah, he can do it. he'll also die really fast in the meantime. also haven't tested this, but nair would probably come out before roy's dair, so RIP roy

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
if by unorthodox, you mean bad, then yeah, he can do it. he'll also die really fast in the meantime. also haven't tested this, but nair would probably come out before roy's dair, so RIP roy
Unorthodox as in the less common to see ones, you know, like surprises. And you do know I'm talking hypothetically with the Dair IF Pichu were to get hit by it, right?

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I would just utilt you.
Pichu has the fastest standing tech in the game.
Utilt is also super disjointed and spaced correctly, roy's counter won't hit pichu out of it.
Roy's dair is just bad lol. It has situations when it's alright if you meteor with it, but it's so easy to react to.
If not the options I stated earlier, Roy could just plain shark with a Uair/Fair underneath after the ledge-cancel. And from that point, if I'm not mistaken, Pichu could shield the sharking option off.

Top Bottom