• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
except there's a reason why dair isn't used much; it's bad. also i still don't even see pichu getting hit by it anyway
As I said earlier, comboing into the Dair; like from dtilt or Fair (Though on rare occations Fair would do it) as a couple of examples.

On an unrelated note, I see that you saved my "Comet's Pichu 2015" comment there. :3

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Derf I just read Tommy's guide and learned quite a bit. Learned a couple new air-guarding stuff which hopefully will be useful. Thanks for pointing it out

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
If not the options I stated earlier, Roy could just plain shark with a Uair/Fair underneath after the ledge-cancel. And from that point, if I'm not mistaken, Pichu could shield the sharking option off.
I was talking to z-axis about what you described tonight, he said it just straight doesn't work.
Roy's dair is slow, and the meteor hitbox is not positioned in an optimal position for what you're describing.

He said just DD and never leave the ground ever, which was what I was saying.

Derf I just read Tommy's guide and learned quite a bit. Learned a couple new air-guarding stuff which hopefully will be useful. Thanks for pointing it out
Glad it helped. It is outdated though, so if you have any questions, go ahead and ask, I'm happy to answer!

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I was talking to z-axis about what you described tonight, he said it just straight doesn't work.
Roy's dair is slow, and the meteor hitbox is not positioned in an optimal position for what you're describing.

He said just DD and never leave the ground ever, which was what I was saying.
Which scenario did he say Roy's dair was too slow for?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
well he was just saying it's a garbage move to try and intercept someone with and that you shouldn't ever use it unless you're comboing someone because of how laggy and how little stun it has, which I agree with.
I don't think roy should use any aerials in neutral at all, except in specific scenarios.

Like if pichu reads a wd back and tries to overshoot nair or something, but over-commits, sh fair or nair are acceptable to reset to neutral.
shffled uairs are good if I get above you on a platform, or sometimes lead to a grab from a combo with bad DI, but dair is just not meant for neutral at all.

but if it's working for you, keep doing it I guess, I just know how I would deal with it.

Last edited:

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
well he was just saying it's a garbage move to try and intercept someone with and that you shouldn't ever use it unless you're comboing someone because of how laggy and how little stun it has, which I agree with.
I don't think roy should use any aerials in neutral at all, except in specific scenarios.

Like if pichu reads a wd back and tries to overshoot nair or something, but over-commits, sh fair or nair are acceptable to reset to neutral.
shffled uairs are good if I get above you on a platform, or sometimes lead to a grab from a combo with bad DI, but dair is just not meant for neutral at all.

but if it's working for you, keep doing it I guess, I just know how I would deal with it.
Well, I DID mention about the dair being used in a combo, so what did I say wrong? Maybe I'm too blind to see that at the moment because I'm still loopy from surgery, though. ^.^' But about the ledge-cancelling scene earlier, I do recall being able to connect a dair combo from the stage floor to smacking the opponent to the platform and being able to just make a ledge-cancel. Very situation heavy, but if we really aren't sure about it, maybe I'll go check my work with my sister or some other Pichu main at a local tournament. But anyways, all I'm saying is that as long as you know how to deal with creative combos as well as the standard ones from your opponent, I think you're all set.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Well, I DID mention about the dair being used in a combo, so what did I say wrong? Maybe I'm too blind to see that at the moment because I'm still loopy from surgery, though. ^.^' But about the ledge-cancelling scene earlier, I do recall being able to connect a dair combo from the stage floor to smacking the opponent to the platform and being able to just make a ledge-cancel. Very situation heavy, but if we really aren't sure about it, maybe I'll go check my work with my sister or some other Pichu main at a local tournament. But anyways, all I'm saying is that as long as you know how to deal with creative combos as well as the standard ones from your opponent, I think you're all set.
I mean yeah, you can do pretty much whatever you want in this game, I was just explaining the draw-back and what I personally would do in the scenario, since I'm fairly used to the roy/marth-pichu mus.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I mean yeah, you can do pretty much whatever you want in this game, I was just explaining the draw-back and what I personally would do in the scenario, since I'm fairly used to the roy/marth-pichu mus.
It's quite amazing how many things Pichu can do under all these circumstances, like with his fast tech and up-tilt and what not. It's nice learning and discussing this kinda stuff.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
It's quite amazing how many things Pichu can do under all these circumstances, like with his fast tech and up-tilt and what not. It's nice learning and discussing this kinda stuff.
keep in mind that pichu's tech rolls suck, so it's basically tech in place or miss the tech, and then go from there.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yeah, generally, if I can't get away with standing tech as pichu, I try to miss it and wait for a jab reset and SDI that. It's hard though.

btw, new video up tonight (hopefully)

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
yeah, generally, if I can't get away with standing tech as pichu, I try to miss it and wait for a jab reset and SDI that. It's hard though.

btw, new video up tonight (hopefully)
Oh yeah, I forgot you can SDI jab resets! Thanks for reminding me! Also, looking forward to your new video.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Hey @ DerfMidWest DerfMidWest I know u dont have recent tournament footage of yourself but could u record yourself fighting a lvl 9 computer (I believe fox is the best but doesn't matter who). I just wanna see how u convert, air guard, pressure etc. Just to see if I am using pichu the best possible way. would greatly appreciate it. I can play against ok players but with good players I gotta switch to sheik

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
haha just check out the video thread man, there is a lot of stuff in there.
if you have specific questions, I'll answer anything.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Doraki jumps can be difficult to learn, once you have them down they're super easy though and you won't have to think about them.
I'll cover them in my video series too, because Pichu can get a lot out of them.

anyway, samus is hard for pichu.
generally, I like to make them come to me on the top platform, but that can be tricky.
what exactly were you having the most trouble with?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Doraki jumps can be difficult to learn, once you have them down they're super easy though and you won't have to think about them.
I'll cover them in my video series too, because Pichu can get a lot out of them.

anyway, samus is hard for pichu.
generally, I like to make them come to me on the top platform, but that can be tricky.
what exactly were you having the most trouble with?
samus was living to 200% on dreamland. basically, i can't land an up smash on her. i do also have a bad habit of approaching her too, but i'm working on fixing that.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Will up smash OoS hit peach if she does an aerial while floating above you?
depends, peach has a couple different float heights.
Usually, if you're shielding, she's gonna space an fc fair (and fall on you, since she has no landing lag) and then do some combination of jab/grab/dsmash on your shield.

If she tries to poke you out of your shield with dairs over your head, you can probably land it, but it depends on her height.
I would usually opt for nair or uair OoS since they are safer.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
is there anything that characters not named jigglypuff or peach can do to escape an edgeguard setup by means of thunder > nair?
I mean, I don't think it's ever a true combo, so technically, yes. But generally speaking, people tend to not be sure how to react to it.
And of course it depends on the character, their weight, position, percent, etc.

but characters with slower aerial options like DK or Ganon have more trouble dealing with it.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Pichu is my favorite character. Mario's on my main list due to him being who I would use when playing against a level 9 computer (since the only Smash Bros. fan that I know is my cousin, who in New York). Pikachu is pretty similar to Pichu, but to me, he feels weird. Ironically, mained Pikachu (I also used Captain Falcon, but his startup time was too long for me) before I unlocked Pichu, but then I got used to Pichu because I wanted to try him out, and eventually, he stuck. I then had a hard time playing as anyone else. Pikachu felt really weird, because Pikachu's moveset made me think I was using Pichu, and thus I tried playing like Pichu. The differences caused me to want to use someone else, so I picked Samus. However, I had too much trouble with using Super Missiles instead of standard Missiles, so I went with Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario's properties annoyed me (I personally found his side smash to be terrible), so I went with Mario.
I really wish that Pichu wasn't so darn light!

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Pichu is my favorite character. Mario's on my main list due to him being who I would use when playing against a level 9 computer (since the only Smash Bros. fan that I know is my cousin, who in New York). Pikachu is pretty similar to Pichu, but to me, he feels weird. Ironically, mained Pikachu (I also used Captain Falcon, but his startup time was too long for me) before I unlocked Pichu, but then I got used to Pichu because I wanted to try him out, and eventually, he stuck. I then had a hard time playing as anyone else. Pikachu felt really weird, because Pikachu's moveset made me think I was using Pichu, and thus I tried playing like Pichu. The differences caused me to want to use someone else, so I picked Samus. However, I had too much trouble with using Super Missiles instead of standard Missiles, so I went with Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario's properties annoyed me (I personally found his side smash to be terrible), so I went with Mario.
I really wish that Pichu wasn't so darn light!
problems of every pichu main (all 10 of us).

i've also been thinking about stuff. wouldn't yoshi's be a better ban against fox than stadium? i'm thinking this because pichu can chaingrab in the middle and use the transformations to not die or just do stupid things.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
problems of every pichu main (all 10 of us).

i've also been thinking about stuff. wouldn't yoshi's be a better ban against fox than stadium? i'm thinking this because pichu can chaingrab in the middle and use the transformations to not die or just do stupid things.
there's like 3 of you right now lol.
anyway, it's personal preference, I prefer yoshi's. Chaingrabbing doesn't matter too much if you only get 3 throws off it, since it really doesn't do that much damage.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uuuuuuuuuuuugh.
I platform camp mostly. He destroys you on the ground, and can bait/punish your approaches really easily most of the time.
But he's slow as **** in the air.
I don't like shielding unnecessarily, because he has stupid shield pressure and its annoying.
Combos don't exist. You can string nairs together and get a few other basic 2 hit combos, but that's about it.
edgeguarding is hard-ish.
pretty much, jolt to hit him out of his (non-misfire) sideBs and his doublejump (<- that's super important to get rid of) and his rising downB.
The marth slayer works on him if he doesn't sweet spot (which most luigi's don't, I've noticed)
you can also drop offstage and let his upB hit you (the weak hit) and then immediately nair and it will usually hit him if you react quick enough.
Always make sure you knock away his doublejump.

when he's offstage sideBing, just chill on stage for a second and be ready to shield in case he misfires, remember that misfire rises higher and can sweetspot the ledge.
if he downBs off stage, that should be a kill. Drop off and nair as soon as you see the animation start. It has a lot of cooldown.

Bambi_

King of the Forest
I'm not around here often, but are you all aware of how awesome Pichu's dair quake is? If you shuffle a super low dair quake (both hits) -> utilt someone, you can pillar, which I've never seen anyone do. You can get like 60% just with dair utilt dair utilt on some characters (try it on Marth starting at 30), and when they get high enough you can double dair up smash. It's like a heavy damage drill with more hitstun. If they cc you have to grab instead of utilt (what kind of Pichu is complaining about getting grabs), but otherwise you can just have your way with them. Combos into almost all of Pichu's grounded moves, and can be comboed into by a nair sometimes, or more easily a tech chase on a platform.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm not around here often, but are you all aware of how awesome Pichu's dair quake is? If you shuffle a super low dair quake (both hits) -> utilt someone, you can pillar, which I've never seen anyone do. You can get like 60% just with dair utilt dair utilt on some characters (try it on Marth starting at 30), and when they get high enough you can double dair up smash. It's like a heavy damage drill with more hitstun. If they cc you have to grab instead of utilt (what kind of Pichu is complaining about getting grabs), but otherwise you can just have your way with them. Combos into almost all of Pichu's grounded moves, and can be comboed into by a nair sometimes, or more easily a tech chase on a platform.
I am a huge fan of pichu's dair.
dair->grab is op as hell on CC.

as far as the pillars go, it works at real low percent, but they can jump out after awhile. Still good at low percent though, and from the utilt you can basically just start a combo.
also combos to dtilt and dsmash, which is really cool.

offstage, FF dair combos to dj nair on a lot of characters.

Garbage approach though. I use it mostly as a combo extender.

Unknown's pichu used to use an ass load of dair and he did some really cool stuff with dair on platforms, I'd recommend checking out some of his pichu videos if you're a fellow dair fan

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
is there any data on crouch canceling percentages for pichu? i know these generally won't exist after 30% but i'm sure it would still be somewhat useful. i know there's some stuff on the yoshi boards for when everybody can cc (including pichu), but i haven't seen much else.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I don't know much about that.
usually with pichu I just shield/light shield rather than cc.
but generally, if you're under 40%, you're alright.
you can cc certain moves until pretty high percents as well.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
if pichu had shine...

how useful is this? i saw it on the pika boards and the op said pichu could do it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeuPyWsFdIE
yeah pichu can do it too. I used to use these a lot actually, they're cool because you just get a bunch of backwards momentum or w/e. Really easy to do also.
These days I usually just straight moonwalk though. Neither option is particularly useful with pichu though, mostly just for flash.

Top Bottom