• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

IndianapolisCentralGaming

Banned via Warnings
Sounds cool

But thank You for no silly pichu dittos i honestly think he could nearly just stall for the win against himself because he's so small and hard to hit. Dumbest oos besides fox's up-smash

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I'm about to get melee, and am going to pick up Pichu. I already know how to do my l cancels, wavedashing, and other basic stuff from Project M. Any recommendations on what I should learn to do with Pichu first?

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Dash dancing is super duper important. Make sure you can approach and retreat with it, using the full length of Pichu's initial dash.
Then learn the chain grab the fast fallers.
Upsmash out of shield.
Edge-canceling upB
pivot ftilts and dtilts.
dash canceled utilts.

and wavelands on platforms and ledgedashing

Last edited:

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Hey gaise, is there a nice list of which chain throws Pichu has? Don't say u-throw on spacies I already know that.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Another question: Is there any information here about Pichu strategy in doubles? Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but I haven't found anything.

well right when i ask this question i see the "pichu in doubles" section in pichu paradigm >_<

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hey gaise, is there a nice list of which chain throws Pichu has? Don't say u-throw on spacies I already know that.
uh a short list is pretty much uthrow on ffers, as you know. Then dthrow on people like ganon, bowser, dk, and a few others pretty much to kill percents.
On everyone else it's percent or DI dependent (like you can regrab sheik at low-mid percent if she DIs in or stupid stuff like that)
You can also fthrow cg characters like peach or samus (or a lot of people, honestly) as long as they don't DI away or buffer roll.

Another question: Is there any information here about Pichu strategy in doubles? Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but I haven't found anything.

well right when i ask this question i see the "pichu in doubles" section in pichu paradigm >_<
the pichu paradigm sucks and is super outdated.
I used to use a LOT of pichu in dubs, so I'll pretty much break it down for you real quick:

you're a support character. Your moves set up hella combos, but you don't do a lot of percent. You are, however, great at positioning your opponents with usmash, utilt, uair, dtilt, ftilt, and nair.
You want to be playing on the platforms a lot and you want to be moving constantly.
Jolts are clutch as hell. They force people into shield or into the air, which is amazing.
They also have hella hitstun, so your partner can capitalize very well.

basically your whole game revolves around wracking on a little percent, then throwing your opponents off stage and gimping them to hell, which is pretty free in dubskis.

your stages for dubs are Dreamland, battlefield, and FD. Yoshis is too small, and stadium is too jank (plus low ceiling is bad for you in most MUs)

your best partners are people like fox, falcon, falco, ganon, or sheik.

if you have more specific questions, please ask. I could answer a lot more if you clarify exactly what you want to know more about.

Cold Fusion

uh a short list is pretty much uthrow on ffers, as you know. Then dthrow on people like ganon, bowser, dk, and a few others pretty much to kill percents.
On everyone else it's percent or DI dependent (like you can regrab sheik at low-mid percent if she DIs in or stupid stuff like that)
You can also fthrow cg characters like peach or samus (or a lot of people, honestly) as long as they don't DI away or buffer roll.
So then, the only chain throw that really matters is the one against the fast-fallers? And that bowser chain throw seems very useful, so many bowser mains.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
pretty much. In most other matchups you're going to spend more time techchasing or just trying to get positional advantage.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uh pretty much anything you can set up out of uair, usmash, or utilt.
pretty much all of your throws set stuff up in the right situations.

Cold Fusion

Another question, how about a variation of down throw to u-tilt chainthrow? I noticed that it works on a Mario who is not DI'ing properly. Does it work on any characters that matter and is it a legit combo?

Annnndddd..... is pummeling worth it as Pichu?

Last edited:

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
I never pummel as pichu, the percentage taken isn't worth it IMO. And I'm not too sure about dthrow to utilt cg, I don't like trusting peoples do to land a combo

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
dthrow utilt regrab should not work after low percents. They can flat out DI out of it, and even if they don't, they can shake out and double jump. It's not all that reliable.
You can dthrow then follow their DI and uair to set stuff up, and that will get you a regrab off of a read, but even then, I don't recommend relying on that too heavily.

D

Deleted member 189823

Hi I want to use Pichu. He's sparking an interest for me, to get on Melee. I like Pichu because he is adorablez and has a big head.
What are the best/better players of this character, so I can learn from videos?

D

Deleted member 189823

Yah, I will learn how to play Pichu and be the beast. :halfsheep:

D

Deleted member 189823

Can you tell me about our possible chaingrabs or grab combos at low/er pecercents? :GCCU::GCCR::GCCN::GCCD:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Well, on falcon, fox, and falco, you can uthrow->regrab from 0-death. It's a lot harder when they are under about 30% or so though.
on many of the mid weight characters you can dthrow->regrab at lower percents
fthrow -> regrab is also a jank shenanigan similar to marth's fthrow cg.
for awhile I was playing around with bthrow->perfect agility->regrab, but it isn't reliable enough to be practical.

a big thing people don't give a lot of credit anymore is pichu's dthrow techchase. it's fantastic and, especially by utilizing his upB, you can cover all of most characters options on reaction.

D

Deleted member 189823

I'll take a look on those, as soon as I get my game back.

What is Dash Cancelled U-Tilt for?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Dash Cancelled utilts are incredible with pichu.
basically, they set up just about everything, they combo into grab at low percent on most characters, and it's disjointed which allows you to challenge many characters in the air.It's shifts momentum and helps you keep combos going a lot longer if you can do them consistently.
If you can dash cancel pivot utilt it is even better, but those are really hard to learn to do consistently.
I also like to teeter cancel into them by the edge.
but for now, just learn to do a regular dash canceled utilt on reaction. break it down into dash->crouch->utilt. It helps to not hold up or down all the way. it's a similar motion to dash canceled usmash (which is also incredible, but serves a slightly different purpose).As you get the motion down, you'll be able to start doing them more quickly and applying them to your play.Before you are consistent with them, you can wd->utilt or upB->utilt, but it is a lot slower.They all serve their own purposes though.

Cold Fusion

Excuse the n00b question, but how are dash cancelled u-tilts performed do I lrn2 read?

EDIT: I'M A NOOB WHO CAN'T READ

break it down into dash->crouch->utilt

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Excuse the n00b question, but how are dash cancelled u-tilts performed?
HE SAID SO HIMSELF, UP THERE
You have to press Down in the middle of the Dash so you cancel your Dash into a Crouch. Then, you can do pretty much anything out of that Dash Cancel. In this case, an U-Tilt.

On topic:

WHY IF I CAN'T DO IT

Cold Fusion

HE SAID SO HIMSELF, UP THERE
You have to press Down in the middle of the Dash so you cancel your Dash into a Crouch. Then, you can do pretty much anything out of that Dash Cancel. In this case, an U-Tilt.

On topic:

WHY IF I CAN'T DO IT
And I thought my reading comprehension was good. How in the world did I miss that?

D

Deleted member 189823

General Maylay question.

What makes ICs good, in this gaem? I've heard of this, "wobbling" thing. But do they have CGs like in Brawl? They're dastards in Brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
They have chaingrabs, but not like in brawl.
I could rant about why they are good for quite awhile, but this isn't really the place for that.
Pretty much, they are fast as hell, they control space effectively, and they have a great combo game that easily converts into a kill.
They are easily the level of captain falcon.

D

Deleted member 189823

ICs? FAST? GOOD COMBO GAME!? DENTAL PLAN!?!?!?

Awright, I'm going to have to look good, into this. ;/
I suppose it could be easier to actually not-get-grabbed, in this gaem? You know, thanks to DD & WD in-and-out tactics and stuff...

Where is the MU Chart for Maylay?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Yes, IC's wavedash (similar to luigi) makes them one of the fastest characters on the ground in this game. Their uair, utilt, and usmash as well as incredible grab combos and tech chase game (not even counting chaingrabs and wobbling) pretty much give them one of the most efficient juggle and combo setups in the game.

the MU chart is mad out-dated.
If you want specific answers in regard to pichu's MUs or anything I can answer those.

basically, the matchups you really want to avoid at all costs are:
sheik, marth, ICs, and Fox (who plays correctly)

but you have things you can do against all of them.
ICs is basically 100-0 though, but you can still do stuff.
Sheik is definitely the worst after that. It's a lot easier for sheik to play the matchup correctly than it is for ICs.

D

Deleted member 189823

I think I just want to avoid ICs. I just don'tknowhowtoapproachthat.
Sheik and Marth can CG us from 0-40%?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
sheik can CG you to death.
marth's CG on you can be DI'd out of if you hold away.

For ICs you really can't approach them. just shoot a lot of jolts and look for an opening.

D

Deleted member 189823

What can I do about Sheik & ICs, I don't want to be helpless so new to the game...!
What if I secondary Yoshi and/or Jiggaly for those MUs. Do they do well. I heard Yoshi goes even against ICs.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
he does, but this early in the game, you should not be worrying about secondaries.
You want to just stick to one character and learn as much as you can.
remember, you'll never be able to out-counterpick someone, counterpick wars are a losing battle.
Sheik and ICs are both doable, I'm pretty good at both matchups, but I still wouldn't use my pichu against either in tournament anymore.

honestly, if you aren't confident enough in your pichu alone for tournament play, I'd recommend finding a new main that you would be confident in.

D

Deleted member 189823

NOOOOOOOO

ok...I'll do it. I'll take the path of The Mighty.

D

Deleted member 189823

How does one deal against Falco's lasers, in this gaem.
In Brawl, we just run in and PS.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
same concept pretty much, powershielding just takes more precision in melee.
it's a lot more beneficial in melee though because it reflects.

but yeah lasers are good, falco's use lasers in a lot of different ways.
A lot of times you have to just power through em and make progress slowly

most falcos will use lasers to interrupt your movement and provide an opening for them to approach, so I like to play around on platforms a lot using upB gimmicks and ledgecancels, pichu has the ability to move around the stage pretty damn quick, so if you really get your technical game down you'll be able to handle them.
on top of that, you're small as hell.
it's also good to note that you can kinda just jump over them, just make sure you aren't jumping into falco's aerials or something.

shielding isn't bad.... per se.... whenever you put your shield up, you're forcing yourself to be stationary and you lose a lot of your options. if you're quick enough, shielding the laser and then uairing out of shield will work to catch falco's out of lazy laser->aerial approaches, but you want to be careful because a lot of falcos will start laser->grabbing you if you sit in your shield too much.

D

Deleted member 189823

Could you explain a bit of those Up-B and ledgecancel gimmicks? Also, what's a ledgecancel. May sound n00ish, but I need to make sure I'm spot-on, on the concepts.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Could you explain a bit of those Up-B and ledgecancel gimmicks? Also, what's a ledgecancel. May sound n00ish, but I need to make sure I'm spot-on, on the concepts.
you just land on the very edge of a platform when you still have some momentum and you just slide right off. if you were in the helpless state, you aren't anymore

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
sort of. Basically, if you hit an edge while using a move, it will cancel with no end lag.
If you watch Axe play Pika, he uses them a lot, same concept applies to pichu, but because Pichu's upB is shorter, it becomes a lot more practical/easy to use on stage as a movement technique.

I'll record some videos at some point demonstrating it.

Top Bottom