• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Phantom Mafia - So This Is How Liberty Dies

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
And sure I question your alignment when checked. But my stance has been and will continue to be that your or alpha are the last mafia. I’ve formed these conclusions based on this games events and from the fact that I’ve come to know how pretty much everyone in this group plays.

And there can certainly not be a Godfather but that doesnt mean there can’t be. Like I said it can go either way. Godfather is just what makes sense to me given the remaining claims and what I’ve learned from previous games, setups and how everyone is this group runs games.

There’s enough to believe a Godfather is possible. But the problem is we can’t definitively prove it. That doesn’t mean I should be heckled over the fact I believe one is in the game.
That's all well and good, I suppose. But the problem isn't even that you think there could be a godfather, it's that you went for a supposed godfather (me) over Koops. If you were operating on process of elimination, that decision makes less sense, not more.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That's all well and good, I suppose. But the problem isn't even that you think there could be a godfather, it's that you went for a supposed godfather (me) over Koops. If you were operating on process of elimination, that decision makes less sense, not more.
I didn’t believe in a Godfather till koops does.

Because I was shocked there was still another mafia when we had a traitor. That means the mafia could have had five members if they accepted the request by kon. And with a 5 member mafia against 15 people I couldn’t not see there be some type of leader role.

That’s why I bought that theory up, because I honestly didn’t really think one could be in play till after koops death

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Elaborate please
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And I have one Night Ability. Just one - "Hello There."

Once per night, I am able to spy on another player, and receive details during dawn on who they targeted that night. Powered up, I can see anyone my target was targeted by as well.

Didn't use this ability on nights one and two because I genuinely forgot to do so. Once I realized I had missed the duel with Kon, which resulted in Maven's death, I became a lot more weary.

So, night three I used my ability to spy on Z25, who I knew was telling the truth when they claimed to have targeted Moydow. And since it appears that only our last remaining Sith is capable of using the factional duel night ability, then Z25 couldn't have killed Golden.

Last night, I used my ability to spy on you, Shish. Only this time, powered up. So I can verify that you targeted Nabe last night, likely through that redirect, as well as the fact that you were targeted by Fire Emblemier. Only Fire Emblemier.

Which means that this claim isn't valid:
  • Moydow targeted Shishœ.
Vote: Moydow

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Excuse me? This is absolutely untrue. Something is wrong with your information, because I definitely used my check on Shish last night. Why would I claim something like parity cop if I was mafia? All I'd be doing is narrowing down the list of people I could mislynch.

I mean, you can lynch me if you want and see that I'm telling the truth, since we've got the numbers to survive a mislynch, but something is definitely wrong here.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Once per night, I am able to spy on another player, and receive details during dawn on who they targeted that night. Powered up, I can see anyone my target was targeted by as well.

Didn't use this ability on nights one and two because I genuinely forgot to do so. Once I realized I had missed the duel with Kon, which resulted in Maven's death, I became a lot more weary.

So, night three I used my ability to spy on Z25, who I knew was telling the truth when they claimed to have targeted Moydow. And since it appears that only our last remaining Sith is capable of using the factional duel night ability, then Z25 couldn't have killed Golden.

Last night, I used my ability to spy on you, Shish. Only this time, powered up. So I can verify that you targeted Nabe last night, likely through that redirect, as well as the fact that you were targeted by Fire Emblemier. Only Fire Emblemier.

Thank you, it's good to have another ability to take into account.

So we had anakin, obi, and mace windu. Again I'm not familiar with Stars, but Palpatine is in the prequels right? He would make a lot of sense given the presence of these other characters if my knowledge is right.

Thank you for helping clear the air.

#HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe sorry if my accusations were harsh or upset you. But it looks like its gotten us to facts that should be taken more into account. So I'm glad we've at least gotten to this. Like I said before I base my statements off of what's happened, like with third. So let's hope Alpha has helped us catch the last mafia.

Now let's see if Alpha is right.

unvote

Moy being scum also explains why my disarm may not have done anything. Moy knew the plan and could have easily chose not to kill.

D

Deleted member

I'm still wary of Z25 but this is hard evidence

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Vote: AlphaSSB

I'm not taking this lying down. This is complete bull****. I definitely used my check on Shish, and I have no reason to lie about it. And if I was mafia and trying to clear myself, parity cop is the last role I'd claim to do so.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Excuse me? This is absolutely untrue. Something is wrong with your information, because I definitely used my check on Shish last night.
There's always a chance for error. But I know my ability, and I know Shish was only targeted by Emblemier.

Why would I claim something like parity cop if I was mafia? All I'd be doing is narrowing down the list of people I could mislynch.
I was hoping you'd ask that. Normally, you'd be absolutely right. It wouldn't make sense for Mafia to have an Alignment Checker, right?

But it makes a lot of sense then you take the traitor into account. Kon was the only non-Mafia to have their alignment as "Dark", meaning that the Mafia would have a method to verify that the traitor's alignment was equal to their own.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I actually need to check something with vaan. I need to know something about my disarm.

Depending on vaan's response I may be able to discern if the mafia put out a kill at all last night.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
But it makes a lot of sense then you take the traitor into account. Kon was the only non-Mafia to have their alignment as "Dark", meaning that the Mafia would have a method to verify that the traitor's alignment was equal to their own.
But if I'm mafia, I'd still need to look for mislynches at this point. So why would I be here claiming that a bunch of people are the same alignment, and therefore in the clear? If I'm claiming Shish, Nabe, and Z25 are in the clear, then I'd have to be pushing to lynch either you or FE, and before this I haven't done so.

#HBC | Nabe

That's... unexpected.

AlphaSSB AlphaSSB You're sure that the way your role interacts would make this a legit catch?

Z25 makes much more sense than Moydow... I mean, it's easy to fake a parity cop as mafia, but I don't know why she would go out of her way to claim a role that eliminates mislynch opportunities.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Just one ability? Do you have any passives?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As in, if Alpha is lying about being dueled?
I was thinking it would more or less confirm that a duel happened or didn't happen.

I asked vaan if I would be notified when my thing goes through. Because that would allow me to see if my think worked. But I realized it wouldn't matter if someone else did the duel. At the very least it would help me prove that you aren't mafia which would back up the facts alpha presented because it would allow moy to fit the idea of mafia.

I hope that makes sense, I was trying to put my thoughts better into words.

But vaan said that I don't get notified if it went through or not unfortunately.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
But if I'm mafia, I'd still need to look for mislynches at this point. So why would I be here claiming that a bunch of people are the same alignment, and therefore in the clear? If I'm claiming Shish, Nabe, and Z25 are in the clear, then I'd have to be pushing to lynch either you or FE, and before this I haven't done so.
Because not all Jedi are of the 'Light' alignment, and Golden's death notice proves this, seeing as they were of the 'Grey' alignment. If you found someone other than 'Light', you would be told that there was a difference in alignment. You could then use this as a starting point.

That's... unexpected.

AlphaSSB AlphaSSB You're sure that the way your role interacts would make this a legit catch?

Z25 makes much more sense than Moydow... I mean, it's easy to fake a parity cop as mafia, but I don't know why she would go out of her way to claim a role that eliminates mislynch opportunities.
As previously stated, I think its due to the traitor. The Sith would need a method to verify that someone was of their alignment. Use a Sith as a reference point, then target the supposed traitor. If their alignment is the same, then they're able to verify that the person is in fact a traitor. This ability would also give the supposed Godfather credibility.

Plus, wouldn't want to mislynch someone who could potentially join your faction, right?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Because not all Jedi are of the 'Light' alignment, and Golden's death notice proves this, seeing as they were of the 'Grey' alignment. If you found someone other than 'Light', you would be told that there was a difference in alignment. You could then use this as a starting point.

As previously stated, I think its due to the traitor. The Sith would need a method to verify that someone was of their alignment. Use a Sith as a reference point, then target the supposed traitor. If their alignment is the same, then they're able to verify that the person is in fact a traitor. This ability would also give the supposed Godfather credibility.

Plus, wouldn't want to mislynch someone who could potentially join your faction, right?
That actually would make a lot of sense for the alignment check reasoning.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Okay, now that I've had a chance to step away from the computer for a bit and simmer down:

Unvote

Alpha must surely be aware of the numbers at this stage (5 town vs. 1 mafia), so he must surely realise that aiming for a mislynch based on a blatant lie at this stage will only get him lynched in return tomorrow. So I can only assume that, as far as he is aware, his result is true. But I know I'm not lying (and if I must be lynched to prove this, then so be it), so therefore it must follow that someone is capable of tampering with his result. Or that he received an incomplete result for some reason; I'd rather not speculate on any potential host errors at this stage, though I still think Vaan ought to double check this, or that Alpha should request a recheck.

The only problem is that, assuming it's true that the mafia can't use their own ability in addition to their duel in the same night, and that Alpha's result was tampered with, then something doesn't add up. How could Alpha have been duelled, and receive an inaccurate result in the same night? Either he's lying (which like I said, I think is unlikely), there was a host error, or the mafia can actually use their own abilities in addition to the night duel.

In any case, I accept that it's probably necessary for me to flip town to prove my claim. So lynch me if you want, you won't find the last mafioso here but at least it'll prove my honesty.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Moydow Moydow Z25 Z25 Fire Emblemier Fire Emblemier @Shishœ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe

So, I'm not sure how to explain this, but I just got a message from Vaan. There was apparently an error, where I should've been able to see Moydow targeting Shish. If this is the case, then any evidence I presented towards Moydow being the last of the Mafia needs to be thrown out.

I don't know what to make of this.

Unvote: Moydow

vaanrose vaanrose - Can you verify publicly that there was an error?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
We have no proof of Z25's lightsaber disable, but we do have proof of Shish being able to give out lightsabers.

#HBC | Nabe

Yo, hold up.

We had assumed that Maven died because he protected Alpha from a duel. But that was before Chu's death by Golden.

EETH KOTH

Once a loyal Jedi Knight, Eeth Koth has grown disillusioned with the Jedi Order and now has a
secret alias: DARTH MAUL, the Sith Rogue

Your Allegiance is to the SITH
Alignment Checks come up as DARK
Your Lightsaber is RED and DOUBLE SIDED

"Twice the Pride, Double the Fall"
PASSIVE ACTION
You are the most skilled Sith deulist in the galaxy, capable of handling multiple Jedi
in a battle at once. You are the only Sith capable of killing two Jedi in a battle, should
you target a Jedi who is protecting or being protected by another Jedi.

"At Last We Will Reveal Ourselves to the Jedi."
DAY ACTION
Once per game, you can challenge another player to a duel during the day. This replaces
the day's lynch. You will each submit wagers anonymously, and unlike other duels, this one
will kill you if you lose.

However, if you lose, your flop will always reveal you as a Sith, but this will boost your entire
team's skills for the remainder of the game. All mafia skills will require half their listed
amount of Force Points to use, rounded down.

"At Last We Will Have Revenge."
PASSIVE ACTION
Every time a player votes for you to be lynched, you gain 3 Force Points specifically for
use in wagering in duels against that player. These remain even if the player unvotes you
(but you do not gain more if they re-vote you).

You have 25 FORCE POINTS at your disposal.

WIN CONDITION: More Sith Exist in the Galaxy than Jedi
Chu's first passive ability says that in a duel, he could kill protective roles and the player they were protecting. Say that Maven decided to protect Opo that Night, and Chu killed both of them. If scum wanted to come up with an explanation for Maven's death after Maven flipped, to hide the existence of Chu's ability to hit through protection, then having scum claim that Maven's ability saved them is a perfect fit. Not only does it hide the existence of Chu's ability, but it "clears" the player who claimed, because Maven's powered-up protection only informs him if Jedi are targeted with Duels.

So Alpha isn't necessarily a clear. Kon claimed to have shot Alpha that Night, but he's a traitor.

That would also explain something that I was planning to ask Maven about in postgame. If Maven used his powered-up protect that Night and Alpha is town, then Maven would have been informed of two duels that he could step into, Opo and Alpha. Opo had already claimed lie detector in-thread, and Alpha hadn't claimed anything at all. So it's confusing that Maven would choose to help Alpha, of the two. Unless Maven was never presented that choice to begin with, because he chose to protect Opo that Night, and both were killed by Chu.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Moydow Moydow Z25 Z25 Fire Emblemier Fire Emblemier @Shishœ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe

So, I'm not sure how to explain this, but I just got a message from Vaan. There was apparently an error, where I should've been able to see Moydow targeting Shish. If this is the case, then any evidence I presented towards Moydow being the last of the Mafia needs to be thrown out.

Oh that is unfortunate.

unvote
So from my understanding it's either Shish or Z25...

Vote Z25
Except it has? Alpha himself said that my actions were used.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yo, hold up.

We had assumed that Maven died because he protected Alpha from a duel. But that was before Chu's death by Golden.

Chu's first passive ability says that in a duel, he could kill protective roles and the player they were protecting. Say that Maven decided to protect Opo that Night, and Chu killed both of them. If scum wanted to come up with an explanation for Maven's death after Maven flipped, to hide the existence of Chu's ability to hit through protection, then having scum claim that Maven's ability saved them is a perfect fit. Not only does it hide the existence of Chu's ability, but it "clears" the player who claimed, because Maven's powered-up protection only informs him if Jedi are targeted with Duels.

So Alpha isn't necessarily a clear. Kon claimed to have shot Alpha that Night, but he's a traitor.

That would also explain something that I was planning to ask Maven about in postgame. If Maven used his powered-up protect that Night and Alpha is town, then Maven would have been informed of two duels that he could step into, Opo and Alpha. Opo had already claimed lie detector in-thread, and Alpha hadn't claimed anything at all. So it's confusing that Maven would choose to help Alpha, of the two. Unless Maven was never presented that choice to begin with, because he chose to protect Opo that Night, and both were killed by Chu.
This is a pretty good observation.

Actually to add to this. Alpha himself did give us a reason as to why the mafia could have a cop check.

What if that's a slip up?

The mafia being fully aware of a traitor and having a way to find him makes a lot of sense. But if Alpha can check actions. Perhaps he had a way to check things so that the mafia could discover who the traitor was. but that wouldn't explain why they didn't kon's acceptance.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Moydow Moydow Hope there's no hard feelings. Had a strong lead and ran with it, but with the correction made, I am able to verify that you did indeed target Shish last night. Which means the following claims are verified:
  • Fire Emblemier targeted Shishœ.
  • Shishœ targeted Z25, but was redirected to Nabe.
Whereas the following claims aren't:
  • Nabe meditated.
  • Z25 targeted Nabe.

I think Kon admitting to have dueled me combined with Maven's death, as well as the verified error confirming that I used my ability last night, confirms that I'm not scum. Not to mention I went completely open with my role.

I'm not sure why Maven chose me, though. Didn't have much reason to suspect that I'd be in danger, so he had to have used the powered up version of the ability. Both myself and Opo were dueled that night. Maybe Kon input the duel towards me before Mafia input a duel towards Opo, and so he may have gotten the option to aide me before the option to aide Opo even occured?

D

Deleted member

Vote: Z25

#HBC | Nabe

Alpha himself said that my actions were used.
But he said he didn't know what your action was. It's common sense as scum to say that your action went where it did, even if you're claiming a different action than you really have, because trackers or watchers could always exist.

And since it appears that only our last remaining Sith is capable of using the factional duel night ability, then Z25 couldn't have killed Golden.
I disagree with this (bolded) line of reasoning. Koops could pass points to "a teammate", which implies any teammate, and the existence of Chu's ability suggests that he could choose to not be the one to duel. And if only one Sith could be the duelist for the group, that player would have to have started with an obscene number of Force points to cover all of the duels they would need to make.

It does seem likely that Z25 didn't kill Golden, but that just means that if Z25 is mafia, then it was Koops who made the duel.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
But he said he didn't know what your action was. It's common sense as scum to say that your action went where it did, even if you're claiming a different action than you really have, because trackers or watchers could always exist.

I disagree with this (bolded) line of reasoning. Koops could pass points to "a teammate", which implies any teammate, and the existence of Chu's ability suggests that he could choose to not be the one to duel. And if only one Sith could be the duelist for the group, that player would have to have started with an obscene number of Force points to cover all of the duels they would need to make.

It does seem likely that Z25 didn't kill Golden, but that just means that if Z25 is mafia, then it was Koops who made the duel.

I may be missing something, but I thought Alpha was also aware of the night actions last night, or has he just been repeating what's said?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Anyway, this at least basically clears Alpha, right? And it verifies that Shish, FE, and I all at least targeted the people we said we did, and since Alpha was the one duelled, then that should clear us too. So it comes down to either Nabe or Z25.

On night 3 I didn't receive any duel challenge, so whatever Z25 targeted me with that night wasn't a duel, at least. It doesn't necessarily confirm that his ability is actually a lightsaber blocker, just that he targeted me with something.

So I'm not sure which of the two to go for here. Guess I'll go and re-read the thread a bit again.

#HBC | Nabe

I think Kon admitting to have dueled me combined with Maven's death, as well as the verified error confirming that I used my ability last night, confirms that I'm not scum. Not to mention I went completely open with my role.

I'm not sure why Maven chose me, though. Didn't have much reason to suspect that I'd be in danger, so he had to have used the powered up version of the ability. Both myself and Opo were dueled that night. Maybe Kon input the duel towards me before Mafia input a duel towards Opo, and so he may have gotten the option to aide me before the option to aide Opo even occured?
To the latter, wouldn't it make the most sense for Maven's ability to activate during Dawn Phase? If Maven was informed in order of when duels came in to Vaan, then Maven could make a guess as to who sent in the duel if he were to activity creep on the player list. More realistically, Vaan would think of that and stop that from happening, but the best way to do that would be to have Maven hear about his options in Dawn Phase.

Kon was a traitor. Chu told people about Kon claiming traitor to him, so the mafia must not have been on ideal terms with Kon. He wouldn't go out of his way to be truthful to the town, though. In fact, I know he didn't, because he was telling Bard that I was scum up until his lynch. And I don't think he ever outed Koops.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Anyway, this at least basically clears Alpha, right? And it verifies that Shish, FE, and I all at least targeted the people we said we did, and since Alpha was the one duelled, then that should clear us too. So it comes down to either Nabe or Z25.

On night 3 I didn't receive any duel challenge, so whatever Z25 targeted me with that night wasn't a duel, at least. It doesn't necessarily confirm that his ability is actually a lightsaber blocker, just that he targeted me with something.

So I'm not sure which of the two to go for here. Guess I'll go and re-read the thread a bit again.
I don't send duels. I prevent whoever I use it on from using their lightsaber. Leaving them defenseless if challenged to a duel, or preventing said player from starting duels.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
current vote count:
Z25: 3 (Nabe, Shish, FE)

Not voting: me, Alpha, Z25

I don't send duels. I prevent whoever I use it on from using their lightsaber. Leaving them defenseless if challenged to a duel, or preventing said player from starting duels.
That's what I said. :p Alpha's confirmed that you targeted me on night 3, and I'm saying it wasn't a duel. As far as I can see, nothing at all happened to me on night 3.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
current vote count:
Z25: 3 (Nabe, Shish, FE)

Not voting: me, Alpha, Z25

That's what I said. :p Alpha's confirmed that you targeted me on night 3, and I'm saying it wasn't a duel. As far as I can see, nothing at all happened to me on night 3.
ah, I wasn't sure by the wording so I just wanted to reiterate it just in case.

Top Bottom