• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Please Read

I'll be gone all next week for seven days at the beach beginning tomorrow. I'll update the OP with the next character as soon as y'all decide who we're doing next.

Edit: since no-one came. I'll decide the next character. NEXT week's character is going to be an easier one than what we've been doing.(for a break) Say hello to Pit everyone. Pit, this is the ruthless Olimar boards I've been telling you about. Have fun you two!!! I chose pit b/c I don't have a lot to talk about with him.

I'd like someone to go into the Pit threads on monday and invite them to come and help us out. thanks them as well please.

My pit experience: I've played some pit mains.
-They use arrows too much.
-Pit's jab will screw you if you don't space well.
-Jump off the stage to spike them if they try and use WoI.
-I think it's 50:50 b/c of some priority issues Olimar has in this match. Pit also edgeguards really well. This is likely to change through y'alls input though.

Be good while I'm gone. DON'T FLAME IN MY THREAD OR I'LL GET MY PIKMIN TO EAT A WHOLE THROUGH YOUR HELMET.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Haha Ooh this is too god. The fact that I only play Pit players(two extremely good ones at that) this is just gonna be me for this week.
I think I have a Pit friend that could help us out.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Ah, it looks like my business with the Olimar sub-forum is done for now. I will be sure to look at the character summary for Kirby, of course. It was great to collaborate and learn with all of you.

Ciao.

Awex

Smash Lord
Pit's annoying as hell but not really a BAD matchup.

Be smart with your pikmin toss cause he has 2 methods to reflect it.

Be weary of his range and priority, but keep the battle mid ranged so you don't get spammed with arrows.

Idk what else to say on it really. It's pretty much in Olimar's favor. Just play smart and keep the pressure on, cause he's a better camper than you, but has a good close range game as well.

Also, you can downtilt under the arrows. They can always angle the arrows down, but doing the worm under them is pretty funny. ;p

asob4

Smash Champion
hmm well the arrows aren't really that effective at camping oli because every time to start they arrow and you get the invincible frames from neutral b and the arrow goes by, then they try to shoot another and you just jump over and get them with the lag and get maybe two pikmin on them.

the infinite jab thing is annoying as hell. always go for spikes against him, it's really easy. they don't have reliable killing moves so just avoid those and stay on stage and you're set. not hard really

Puddin

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure the Pit sub-forum had an "How to fight Olimar" thread, so maybe we should just post the opposite of what they said? lol :O oh wait, I posted there.

Be weary of throwing Pikmin, as Pit has two means of reflecting them, and neither have very long ending lag making it hard to try and use one or two Pikmin as "bait" to try and catch them during the end lag, which is little to none.

The Mirror Shield can stop Fsmashes from Olimar too so don't expect much of a result if running in for an Fsmash, your best bet (if there is time) is to try and grab him.

Actually I just tested this and it's an odd little glitch but throwing Yellow Pikmin while standing roughly the distance of the Diamond on FD will make them go over the shield, land on Pit, and start hitting him as though they were latched onto him but Pit takes no damage unless he stops using the shield.

With the angle at which Yellow Pikmin are thrown through the air, they can be thrown while Pit has his Mirror Shield out to land on an area of his back that is not protected by the Mirror Shield and will do damage to him while the shield is out. It's basically like being behind him while the shield is out and still managing to hit him with a projectile.

Snail

Smash Lord
Well, I'm back from Berlin now, so I can contribute some more... Well, I could, but I've never played a decent Pit. xDD I'll try and comment, though.

That's interesting, Puddin o.o Even though the pikmin won't do damage, most Pits probably won't even notice that and they'll try to shake it off, thus removing their shield. Which results in actual damage by the latched yellow and a chance to run in and upsmash or simply grab him. :D Mindgames ftw. Pit's spam is annoying as hell though.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Well, I'm back from Berlin now, so I can contribute some more... Well, I could, but I've never played a decent Pit. xDD I'll try and comment, though.

That's interesting, Puddin o.o Even though the pikmin won't do damage, most Pits probably won't even notice that and they'll try to shake it off, thus removing their shield. Which results in actual damage by the latched yellow and a chance to run in and upsmash or simply grab him. :D Mindgames ftw. Pit's spam is annoying as hell though.
Yeah but it's a lot more effective to angle a throw onto their back which actually does damage while the shield is up, but throwing it onto the area that latches but does no damage is a good mind game.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
First off a thank you Shout out to Tomato Kirby for coming and talking about Olimar's match up against Kirby! *CLAPS*
Business:
here's what I posted as far as latching on Pit
Pit

Latch Areas: Head, Front, Back, Legs

If latch to ______ the attack will remove the pikmin.

Head: Jab, Glide, Dash, Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Forward B, Nair, Fair, Bair, Dair, Uair, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash

Front: Jab, Glide, Dash, Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Forward B, Nair, Fair, Dair, Uair, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash

Back: Jab, Glide, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Forward B, Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Smash

Legs: Up Tilt, Nair, Forward Smash, Up Smash

My Recommendation:
Okay one latch area should stand out, his legs. Getting a white latched on there means he has to do one of those four moves to get it off. That's well and good but you would need to be mid range to be able to make use of this fact, and I'll tell you how to do it.
At the beginning of the match pit will start using his arrows. Throw a pikmin and pluck a pikmin, don't start the match off just plucking all of them. This will force him to stop the arrows to attack or to try and knock it off, this is where you get mid range.

BEST Color for the match: White
White on the legs forces your Pit opponent to be on the move or die and you can latch it easily on the legs too from a mid to far distance. Latching a white makes the Pit player come to you and if they want to use Forward B, let them, just back up and watch their damage rack up.

*Sigh* If you are getting Jabbed by the infinite jab SDI away. Olimar has ***tty DI by the way, but that's a different rant altogether.

How to get OVER and PAST Pit's F+B if you are stuck jumping.
Whistle as you are rising, just before the move hits. You'll take some damage but land behind Pit. There you go a chance you use a Purple or any smash for a KO.

How to get past the F+B: Grab.

Pit's are only dangerous when they don't play a camping game. If Pit only fires Arrow when he's not attacking you then you are fighting a decent Pit, not camping but when you are knocked away and he has no reliable follow up.

Honestly. It's Pit. I won't knock him, Glide Cancel, Arrows, he can be good. Don't let him juggle you.

asob4

Smash Champion
you can grab through both his reflectors and his >B does have some ending lag. i love when they use it

kupo15

Smash Hero
Idk what help you guys need and I might as well help since protoman helped us in the pit forums.

You all know that Pit dies if you knock him out of his up b. But if you fight a good pit this will rarely if ever happen. Keep in mind that if you knock a pit out of his up b at the start up, then it will count the move as not happening thus he gains nothing and losses nothing. He can up b again.

Good Pits dont spam but against olimar, this may not be a bad idea. Since there is a haze in front of you, idk what the heck is going on so I would want to keep my distance and wait for you to approach.

Idk what else to say so if you have any other questions, then ask!

Puddin

Smash Lord
Has anybody asked the Pit boards to come help... Because it's been pretty dead lately.

kupo15

Smash Hero
ummm HEY... ummm yea....ummm check the thread above....er...Pit player here :)

lol sry just playing. its ok! ^_^

Dotcom

Smash Lord
*cracks fingers* beware of the wall of text.
BTW I don't play the average pit (you know the guy who spam arrows until you approach, or spam arrows just because)
Ok where to start.

1) Behavior: There are some Pit's who like to spam arrow. Some do it to get you to approach, while some do it to spam arrows. You know that, I know that, Pit's know that, everyone knows that. While yes it is quite annoying it's quite easy to dodge. This should not fluster you. The pit's who do this to just make you approach are the dangerous ones. You approach and they have quite a few tricks to perform. If you do approach expect a Nair, Uair, Fair, or Dair all up in your grill. You won't ever ...ever ledge grab them...EVER Their recovery is ridiculous, four jumps, a glide, and WoI is just crazy. They will and I mean most definitely will edge hog, their main way of killing Olimar and no matter what we say it works :(.

Scaring moves: Most of Pit's moves are only to be feared once you reach higher percents, and a lot of those depend on where you are on the stage.

Arrows: Pit's arrow game when put in the right hands can be ridiculous, Arrow Looping, Arrow Swarming, arrow Curving and so many more variations make this one of THE most versatile projectiles in the game. They will use this to their advantage and I if you don't watch out they can knock you off the stage and arrow KO you in more than one way. If you’re in the bubble off the stage a guided arrow can simply KO you. Also if your trying to ^B Arrows can screw you over.

Bair: Kills' around 120 near the edge or around the middle of the stage and is one of the moves they will mainly try to Wing- Cancel.

WoI: This move has so many uses it's crazy. The wind that blows you away at the start of the animation, the dash they can combine with it, and the fact they can cancel it into ANY aerial this is quite dangerous especially at higher percents.

F Smash: Their main killing move. But it's only scary around 140% or so. A trick though is that it's not the first part of the Smash that kills you it's the second. If you have fast reflexes or you know it's coming Smash DI away during the first one and WAC the second one.

Glide attack: It has priority over everything! Best thing to do is try to predict it and ^B. It works. But something to watch out for is glide canceling. When close to the ground Pit can cancel his glade with no lag and can immediately perform any move out of it. It's Dangerous! Lawl.

How To Win:
Grab. It's simple and effective but Do Not get super mcgrab happy. That will quite easily lead to your demise. But grabs are key, you always have options for a follow up after a grab or you can just throw for space and give yourself some time. Pivot grabbing is awesome so you might want to keep those things in minds. Shield grabbing is also essential a lot of his aerials have easily enough time to grab out of them after a shield so if you see a short hopped Nair coming at you shield and grab.

Over B: Oh gawd this is awesome as just spam. This move when used constantly gets a Pit quite flustered and makes him want to do things he normally wouldn't and shouldn't do. Keep this as a reserve move especially when you’re on the defensive to get some time to compose yourself.

Short Hopped Aerials: keeps Pit on his toes and forces him to change strategies no matter what he's in the process of doing. Keeping pit on the defensive is probably the best strategy because he only has about 3 or 4 options, seeing as how he's a more offensively geared character.

Important: Try your best to keep track or your purples in this match up. It can lead to mass devastation. You seen when Pit does his WoI it has a big flaw, if he's hit out of it and doesn't have anymore jumps... he's dead. You see our over B with say a blue or red during his up B wouldn't count as him getting hit out of the Wings. But hitting with a purple during WoI is just like spiking because they have no way of returning.

Keep that in mind and you should have an easy match up.
Match - Up: 6/4 Advantage: Us. :)

Good Stages:

Yoshi Story: Shy guys screw up their arrow game, and the ghosts help our recovery even if not intentionally.

Battlefield: Short hopping aerials becomes much easier to do with the ledges, and also reduces their ability to spam arrows due to the size of the stage.

Pokemon Stadium 1: The bottom screws up their recovery because pit's like to glide under the stage to the other ledge when we edge guard. This can lead to them needing to use a WoI which can be there demise. Also when the scenery changes it's mostly to our benefit and helps us out. All of them knock off arrow looping and swarming, so it's a tremendous advantage.

Stages to stay away from (or just down right ban)

Rainbow Cruise: Pit + Olimar + Rainbow Cruise = Olimar's demise. Like seriously ban this. It’s horrible. No explanation needed.

Delfino Plaza: Ban this too. When we ride on the moving platforms that take us everywhere, Pit can come under the stage and use Uair like no one else. Seriously this is bad.

Final D: You would think this is neutral but their arrow game is taken to new heights on this stage and that can severely screw you over. Don't ban just don't pick it.

I think this should help. :) Wall of text complete.

kupo15

Smash Hero
two things. One, Shield grab the glide attack if they dont know how to use it or Up B like he said works.

Second: GOOD Pits dont get gimped. Plain and simple so dont bank on hitting us out of our Up B. Its never going to happen unless they are stupid or trying something new. Even if you manage to force an Up B, you have no Vertical projectiles so we can fly up and around to safety.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
two things. One, Shield grab the glide attack if they dont know how to use it or Up B like he said works.

Second: GOOD Pits dont get gimped. Plain and simple so dont bank on hitting us out of our Up B. Its never going to happen unless they are stupid or trying something new. Even if you manage to force an Up B, you have no Vertical projectiles so we can fly up and around to safety.
... what about running off the stage and reverse UP+B?
That's worked about three times for me. I remember only three times because that's how often I get to play Pits. Not much but I know that works and it's laughable.

kupo15

Smash Hero
what do you mean? If you play a good pit, they wont give you a chance to gimp them. look at my vid thread and you will see what i mean. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168600

The only times I get knocked out of my up b is if i decided to try something that doesn't work out. I would say that Yoshi's island is a good counter pick since we cant go under the stage. That would be the easiest stage to gimp us but then again, we can just glide on the stage and still have jumps and up b left

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Hang on. Do yellow Pikmin outprioritize any of Pit's scary moves? Because if they do, then it would help to keep a yellow Pikmin near the front so that Pit will have to worry about being outprioritized for a change.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I've gimped a Pit about 3 times(yeah Skip). 1 Time I threw a purple, and the other two times the immidiate ledge grab with up B. THe only thing about the Up B is that the timinf is tricky as fawk. So your either going to grab the ledge before them and they just go over you, or it will be too late and you just Up B in the air, and give them time to hit you during your decent, if you don't get the timing right.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I just got back home tonight. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning to a tourney. It looks like y'all have made some progress on Pit. Especially protoman. It seems like y'all have behaved while I was gone. >_> I'd edit the OP, but I'm really tired. >_<

edit: next week's character anyone?

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Well, I just got back home tonight. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning to a tourney. It looks like y'all have made some progress on Pit. Especially protoman. It seems like y'all have behaved while I was gone. >_> I'd edit the OP, but I'm really tired. >_<

edit: next week's character anyone?
Yoshi? :D

asob4

Smash Champion
might as well do ZSS since we have a thread on that already, or you can just summarize that to save the hassle

uhmmm dunno who else...
peach?
dunno if you guys have played a good peach yet
it's ****.

i usually go GnW though ^^

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, I like ZSS. I'll edit the OP.

I've been really busy guys. I'm falling behind in editting the OP with info on the matchups.

What would y'all give the Pit matchup numbers wise? 6:4 5:5?

Puddin

Smash Lord
Hey guise, I know I havn't been active lately but I'm away from my house and have little time to post on the boards. Unfortunately it seems DanGR seems to know every character I have little expereince with, so he continues to choose them for the Character of the Week =\ Hehe, just kidding but the thing is that I'm away from my house, meaning no Brawl (and my specialty here seems to be testing priority and range) so I can't even be useful enough to tell you which color Pikmin is best against her Lazor Whip, but my guess is Yellow.

All Pikmin stop her Lazor Gun but I'm assuming only Yellow can be unaffected by it.

I got a few questions you guys can go ahead and answer to help the thread, since I can't answer them myself :(

Does her grab outrange ours?
Do her Lazor Whip related attacks out range ours?
And does it really matter if they do because she isn't even that powerful :ohwell: /Sarcasm
Also can we duck under any of her attacks? Like and Uncharged Neutral B
And what ways can we GIMP her? Because she has a Tether too, but a variety of other ways to recover.

Puddin

Smash Lord
just quote my stuff from the other thread pl0x
lol, link?

/Sarcasm

I wanted to feel special :( hehe. I never knew ZSS was even that much trouble for Olimar, and if she is she obviously isn't as much of a problem as other characters such as Marth otherwise we would have threads liek "OMG ZSS IS CHEAP HOW DOES I KILL HUR?!"

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
1)Does her grab outrange ours?
2)Do her Lazor Whip related attacks out range ours?
3)And does it really matter if they do because she isn't even that powerful :ohwell: /Sarcasm
4)Also can we duck under any of her attacks? Like and Uncharged Neutral B
5)And what ways can we GIMP her? Because she has a Tether too, but a variety of other ways to recover.
1)only those that aren't blue and white. The range is about the same so it depends on who grabs first wins in those cases with blue and white

2) Nothing outranges the UP+B of Oli. But yeah never be with it a yellow pikmin toss in the air.
Her F+B will hit.

3) ??? IDKWTFUsaid

4) nope, feel free to attack instead of ducking wi a down tilt though. You'll probably get hit out of it.

5) If you can get her to about 35%-50% and Fair of the edge and do it again you can UP+B to the stage and kill her assuming she wasted a jump.

lastly didn't we do marth?

Puddin

Smash Lord
3) ??? IDKWTFUsaid

lastly didn't we do marth?
Hehe, it doesn't matter what I said because it is made irrelavent with the /Sarcasm at the end :laugh:

We did already cover Marth, but I was just using him as an example of one of Olimars harder match ups opposed to covering ZSS who as far as I know is not that hard of a match up for Olimar. But what do I know really?

Sorry I can't be much help, the lack of a Wii and Brawl makes it a little hard to test things :(

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I've got a few tips for fighting Zamus:

Zamus has one combo that is truly dangerous: Dsmash x2, double jump, uB. Racks up a ton of damage (40% sounds right) and can spike you off the stage if done on the edge.

When Zamus is spaming dsmash, throwing pikmin is ineffective. If you do, her dsmash will catch the pikmin and launch them rediculously high into the air without killing them. Unless you whistle, you wont see any pikmin you've thrown for a long time, but will be incapable of picking any more.

Zamus is very difficult and dangerous to spike. Not only does her tether gimp you easily, but she also has a frightening spike of her own.

Once you reach a high enough percent (i'm thinking around 120%), she'll begin to use her arials, which are quick and will kill if Zamus has saved them. She'll also start to spam fB (I think it's fB... the long one that makes the whip into a wavelength instead of a normal curve). This move is another major scaring move that Zamus will use alot more if she gets desperate. It has very high knockback if you get hit by the ball that travels along the tip of the attack.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wario \ Olimar is NOT 5\5.

It's more like 6\4 at best....
you think it's 6/4 Olimar? or for wario. I think it's fine where it is. Wario has some approaching options against Olimar's defense, wario is a fantastic edgeguarder to gimp Olimar. There isn't really anything to push it into the advantageous postition for either character. You care to explain?

asob4

Smash Champion
ZSS isn't a difficult match up to say, but it's an unknown one due to the lack of players playing with ZSS.

but i can assure you that it's 55-45 either way
fadedimage is a GREAT ZSS and i managed to beat him both times we played. they were both EXTREMELY close, coming down to who got the first hit would win

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Wario's superarmour forward smash RRAAPPEESS olimar when he's coming from the air...

Most of wario's moves kill olimar's pikmin before they get to him (which they do), and olimar can't approach wario from the air.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Wario's superarmour forward smash RRAAPPEESS olimar when he's coming from the air...

Most of wario's moves kill olimar's pikmin before they get to him (which they do), and olimar can't approach wario from the air.
But there is no need to approach Wario. Just throw Pikmin at him and force him to approach.

Puddin

Smash Lord
That's really interesting and all but the current match up is ZSS so lets stay on topic?

Knowledge is Power Asob!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom