• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Well if there is nothing else, maybe we could get a list of KO percents for Pikachu yah know? wouldn't be too hard if we were just trying it on one character, and would be really helpful for Olimar users to know the lowest percent at which they can KO this certain character. Of course they'd have to take the Decay Effect into account something Training Mode is immune to.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DanGR I'll put my "how to win" against Wario here. I'll also go over a bit about Pikachu.

Scaring Moves- you forgot to mention his Waft. He basically gets a juggernaut move every minute. Be wary of it.

How to Win- Stay on the ground... A lot. Olimar just cannot keep up with Wario in the air and Wario eats light, floaty characters for breakfast in his territory. If you get caught up in the air, focus on getting safely on the ground instead of trying to take him on. Olimar has a lot of range over Wario, use it to prevent him from getting too close. Pikmin toss can keep him occupied and on his toes while you plan a strategy to counter whatever he does. Shield Grab or Smash him whenever he messes up on spacing or timing. Also, be wary of being too close to the edge, as all it takes is a solid move to knock you off a bit and he will edgeguard you to death.

Try not to take him to levels with platforms or really long horizontal boundaries. He will make you sorry for that.

Now for Pikachu- Yellow Pikmin are sexy little beasts in this fight, abuse them as necessary. Use good DI for Dsmash, try to be careful about taking him on in very close range, and just overall play smart. You don't need to be aggressive or follow Pikachu closely, you should be thinking about landing solid hits one at a time and just finishing him off with something a bit more powerful. He can edgeguard pretty well, but recovery has never been a strong point of Olimar's, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
thanks for the comments. I'll quote you in the OP. thanks!

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
In one mathematical formula, this is what I think of Pikachu:

Pikachu=Annoying Electric Mouse

Tips against Pikachu:

Side-B a lot. I would play safe here, and keep my distance and let those Pikoes fly.

Stick to Olimar's ground game. Your moves completely outrange Pikachu. F-Smash, retreat, Side-B. F-Smash, retreat, Side-B. F-Smash, retreat, Side-B. I know it's stale, but the main objective is to keep your distance.

Grabs? I would think twice about using them. Maybe occassionaly, after shielding.

Olimar in the air? You don't have that range advantage now, and Pikachu's aerials are pretty nasty.

Note: Pikachu's recovery ultimately relies on speed and unpredictablity. When Pikachu is knocked off the stage (I'm thinking Battlefield or Final Destination), try spooking him by Piko spamming, then take your chance and 'guess' where Pikachu is going to land.

Conclusion: Dr.mario guy is correct. If you play smart and keep your distance, you'll have no issues.

Puddin

Smash Lord
So who are we doing next week? I'd like to know a little in advance so I can go ahead into training mode with them, maybe one of Olimars harder match ups? I vote ROB or Marth/Ike (although Ike isn't a tough match up for Olimar I'm generally more concerned with their counter)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was thinking Marth too, but it's been randomly selected so far. We can do him next though if y'all want cuz he's one of Olimar's harder matchups. (though it's about even)

Puddin

Smash Lord
I think the Olimar community would appreciate MetaKnight never being in Brawl to begin with XD but it happened so we unfortunately have to live with him in the same roster as our poor Olimar. Yeah MetaKnight would be good, but like I said I'm more concerned with the fact that Marth can simply use his counter to avoid latch, which makes it impossible for use to approach his counter with a grab if we have Pikmin latched.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
We've already got like 4 threads about MK. I can go into those later and add pertinent info on the matchup, that is, unless it warrants a whole new discussion...

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
We've got a lot of threads on Snake too... how about Wolf or Rob? Those are matchups I haven't entirely figured out.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
So we have two for Rob, and one for marth. I think rob, so that's the next matchup! go ahead and get your friends to use rob or somethin. I'll edit the pikachu section when I have the time.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
ROB's dsmash is the single hardest move to overcome as olimar IMO...ROB can spam spot dodges and dsmashes forever, unless you jab repetitively...
so, in conclusion, if the dsmash is coming, jab your brains out

Puddin

Smash Lord
Considering all the priority advice I gave with Pika I might as well go ahead and check ROB, I do know that Olimars Nair has priority over ROBs, which with some timing can do some serious damage, not to mention it's massive knock back. Also, a good ROB will do their best to try and avoid Dair'ing you while you are on the ground Pikmin out range it by miles (lol)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Best strategy I've found against Rob is to take it slow, and camp the **** out of him.

1. If he uses the top, which most Robs do, catch it midair, and keep holding onto it. You're going to camp him anyway, why not reduce his camping ability by half? You can use any B move that you want while holding onto the top, including the ever so annoying side b without letting go of it. But as long as you're holding it, he can't make another one. If for whatever reason you want to get rid of the top (so you can kill him, for example), you can press Z in the air at any time to drop, A + direction to throw in that direction, Cstick to smash throw, or glide toss it in any direction. Don't do the same thing every time you get rid of it. Best way if you have time is to throw it up, or off of the stage, to delay the time it takes for him to make another one, or directly at him.

2. Ledge stalling is useful in this matchup, but be careful when doing so not to kill yourself or to be an easy target.

3. Red and yellow pikmin seem to be especially good in this matchup.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
I agree about the camping. The problem for me though has been his aerials. Bair, dair, and uair, are all problems. I seem to never be able to anticipate that laser coming. Grabs go over well. I don't know if this is common, but the Rob I play either mis-times a dair when falling or does it to slow the fall, but after that move there is always an easy opening for an up air.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
i vote wolf next

I played a ROB named SDM at the last tourney I was at (beat his once but lost the second time I faced him in the semifinals)

The reality with ROB is that he has two moves that are vicious to all olly players. These are the dsmash and the nair. I think that its important to not allow ROB to nair during attacks...it has more priority than almost anything that you attempt to do. I think the grab game is vital in this matchup. I disagree with earlier posts that latch is effective. ROB has too many quick moves that can kill pikmin...he will simply kill them with no damage added on and force you to pluck more...

3 Ways to Win -

1) Avoid the edge game - being an olly that relies on spikes...I know that spikes DO NOT WORK in this matchup at all. Really anything on the edge should be limited to up air and up b.

2) Live under ROB - rob only has two attacks that aim below him...timing up air, up b, and up smash will allow you to win this game. If possible - save the upsmash and watch for purple pikmin to get quick kills.

3) Live on your grab game - very important to live grabbing without missing. Missing a grab will give Rob wayyy too many options.

P.S. - Listen to Rapid's comments about the top - he's 100% correct.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Another thing: if you don't already do so, ban FD. That's his best stage. Plus platforms make camping vs. him easier.

In tournaments that allow you to ban 1 neutral and 1 counterpick, ban FD and any annoying stage you want out of the counterpicks.

Feel free to counterpick anything small or with platforms. Pictochat, Brinstar, Lylat, Battlefield...

Puddin

Smash Lord
Do you think Luigi's mansion is a good counter pick stage? the floors are low enough to hit your Usmash through, but so are ROBs, but the low ceiling makes down throws more effective because they'll be on the ground and open to a Dsmash. I was just wondering because I fought my friend who uses ROB at Luigi's Mansion and did a lot better against him then anywhere else. Maybe because of the low ceiling, and two story building which I guess helped me avoid his Lazor and Spinny Top moar but I don't know.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Do you think Luigi's mansion is a good counter pick stage? the floors are low enough to hit your Usmash through, but so are ROBs, but the low ceiling makes down throws more effective because they'll be on the ground and open to a Dsmash. I was just wondering because I fought my friend who uses ROB at Luigi's Mansion and did a lot better against him then anywhere else. Maybe because of the low ceiling, and two story building which I guess helped me avoid his Lazor and Spinny Top moar but I don't know.
Sigh I'm a personal fan, more or less, of Luigi's Mansion for Olimar as his best stage.

Your pikmin go through the pillars, where as lasers and normal projectiles don't. You can constantly spam a up smash attack on the bottom on an opponent til death or DI.

Olimar's best stage period.

I can't add much for the R.O.B. match aside from latch tricks and what I know from 0%.

At 0%: D-Throw, Latch, D-Throw, Latch, Grab, grab attack twice, D-Throw and Up Smash = 56ish%

This combo, becomes a near inescapable combo in Luigi's thanks to the ceiling and them having to do an aerial and DI away, which means camping room.

As for a Down Smasher, latching a pikmin on his head, forces R.O.B. to do an Aerial, jab, Forward smash or Up tilt to get it off. I never did a R.O.B. latch guide because he has the most latch areas of any character, 8 count them I dare YOU!

But doing so should let you get a ton of damage and a free shot at R.O.B. with a readily recharged up Smash.

That's all I know and listen to everyone who plays this match up more, and watch Echo's vid of him and his bro.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Considering the topic is ROB I'd have to say, his Eye Laser DOES go through the pillars of the mansion so thats something to remember if you use it as a counter pick for ROB although the low ceilings and such are convenient to avoid the LAZOR

Puddin

Smash Lord
Yeah, it says his LAZOR has infinite range so why would a wooden pole stop it lol. Actually when I played my friend there he seemed to try and stay outside of the mansion because if he went inside Olimar would just **** him, sure he would still go in but most of the time I could grab him and hit him up on the ceiling being a big character in the mansion is bad :psycho: Anyway I better head off to training mode to test some priorities Mkay?

Edit: Ok been doing some priority tests, and it's kind of hard to tell, I THINK R.O.Bs Nair has priority over Olimars, because it's an explosion, but considering the start up lag it should generally be easy for Olimar to stop/avoid it. Olimars has priority over ROBs Dsmash, but I think thats it, of course Fsmash outranges it but if your in it's range it's useless to try Fsmash to stop it. Same thing with Dsmash, ROBs has priority over Olimars but can outrange it (barely) which isn't very useful if your roll dodging around one another. As for his Utilt, which generally has the same priority as Nair, I think has equal priority with his Dsmash? is that right? because when used at the same time they both just stop, like a Pikmin hitting a projectile.

Considering both ROB and Olimars Fmash are ranged, and ROB can move his up or down, I think it's just a matter of who's in range because Pikmin go right through his Fsmash explosion type thing so could that really be called "priority"? I think thats all the testing I'll do for now lol

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
thanks for attention this thread is getting everyone! I hope this can be a reliable source for Olimar's matchups in the future.

Question: when we get to PT, should we do them all together or one at a time, and them combine them? How should the weeks go? I need to think ahead about it.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I guess we should cover them all at once, but Olimar should be most worried about Squirtle, fast and great air game. Ivysuar is a bit of a threat too, but Charizard is slow which is generally in Olimars favor.

Not to mention the match wont be completely reliant on Red Pikmin, like Pikachu with Yellow, because Charizards only fire based move is obviously his Nspecial, and his Fair but I dont see him risking getting up in the air, randomly throwing out and attack, and leaving himself open to Olimar just for one red Pikmin. Though I dont know if his Nspecial can kill Pikmin

Edit: nvm just tested, Nspecial and Fair cant kill Pikmin on top of his head, but if they are on his neck Nspecial can but not Fair, so really this fight won't single your pikmin down to four red, and two other colors like a Pikachu fight does to yellow.

...not even done with ROB and I'm already testing PT Priority XD

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know that bowser's nspecial kills pikmin, so I'm pretty sure it'd carry over to charizard.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Yeah it does, but only on certain areas of his body (his neck) which you have either be right next to him, or latch onto him while he is jumping, to get them on his neck so like I said this match isn't going to be as dramatic as a Pikachu match, leaving you with mostly Yellow.

nevershootme

Smash Master
thanks for attention this thread is getting everyone! I hope this can be a reliable source for Olimar's matchups in the future.

Question: when we get to PT, should we do them all together or one at a time, and them combine them? How should the weeks go? I need to think ahead about it.
I say combined, its just wasting 3 weeks to cover each pokemon and it's better to cover everything in 1 week.

as for R.O.B. your worse nightmare is a d-tilt trip to grab and a possible wall of pain... and the d-smash blender.

i'll type more when i have time >_>

edit: But seriously, for next week... do Snake...

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
Just thought I would drop in and say Olimar is a tough fight for me. I'm considering making him a secondary. With that in mind thanks for making a thread like this so I can learn.

Puddin

Smash Lord
And you main Peach? I dont know about Olimar vs Peach really, nobody I know mains Peach.

Anyway I was fighting a friend that uses ROB and held on to his Gyro most of the match XD basically what I did was use it to get him off the edge, then continue to bounce it off him to keep him there, while at the same time latching Pikmin onto him. This seemed to work very well because it racked his damage up high, kept him off the edge and unable to attack me while raising his damage.

Also Don't worry about ROBs Side B, which is basically his Dsmash but it moves like Luigis cyclone, Olimars Jab (the headbutt) has priority over this, along with most of his attacks.

One thing that should be a given to Olimar players is to latch Pikmin onto ROB while he is charging his Gyro, and to NEVER try and approach him while it's charging. If you continue to jump and latch Pikmin ROB will be forced to stop, and either throw the Gyro or destroy the Pikmin. When I fought my friend I would latch Pikmin, he would throw the Gyro as I came down, and use an attack to kill Pikmin so while he killed my Pikmin I grabbed his Gyro, this can be and effective technique to get a hold of the Gyro and keep it from ROB unless of course they save it for later and just kill the Pikmin but it still usually isn't that hard to get it. Holding onto the Gyro can GREATLY put Olimar at an advantage. And don't forget Olimar can duck to avoid ROBs LAZOR so with little prediction and timing you can avoid it, so by avoiding the laser and holding onto the Gyro basically forces ROB to approach you, which is probably not in ROBs favor.

^This can be howz to winz maybe?

I'm actually starting to think with some practice, and some Gyro stealing ROB can become one of Olimars easier match ups, but still a challange, maybe equal. IMO, lol.

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
Puddin,

Yes I do. My areal game and up/forward tilts along with turnip throwing are my best bets. They are effective but the problems are... he can throw pikman almost as far as I can throw my turnips and of course approaching with a dash attack is impossible. His air attacks are also way to strong for her lightweight. If it weren't for edgegrabbing I might be toast. Not to mention the grabs. If I could tell which was which I would whip out my toad for some damage but as it is its not very easy. Any advice you can think of is appreciated.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Yeah, a dash attack probably isn't the best way to try and approach Olimar with Peach.

I don't know to much about Olimar vs. Peach but I tested some stuff in training mode and if you use your Nspecial, bringing out toad, just before a pikmin hits you the Pikmin will go right through you, and if you bring out toad while a Pikmin is hurting you he will instantly spray is gas stuff so that could be useful to just leave the Pikmin on you, run up to Olimar and just bring out toad to gas him.

Uhm, you could try and approach with her Fspecial, the hip thing, but I think it can be stopped with all of Olimars attacks... but it can catch a player off guard if they are going to grab you, thinking you are coming in for a dash attack or something, but then again he can grab you out of it... but it is fast :D Peach's Jab is probably faster then a lot of Olimars moves so maybe use that if you can get close to him. This just seems like an all around bad match up for Peach.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I used to main Peach well back in Melee at least but I still have some experience in this matchup because I like to try out my Peach sometimes.

To what Puddin said about leaving the Pikmin on to try and run up... DO NOT DO THIS. The Pikmin especially if a white is latched on will **** you, and trying to run in to toad is just as bad as doing a Dash attack. The Olimar WILL Grab You and you will suffer because of it. Olimar's range out reaches yours especially on the grab and unlike a lot of other characters; depending on your damage say you are around like 128%, Olimar can and will try to kill you. If you have a pikmin on you try Auto Float a Nair. This will do the trick of not only getting the Pikmin off but keeping Olimar at bay.

Keep a turnip with you whenever you can. This is important in this matchup no. This is VERY important in this matchup. With a turnip you can stop an Olimar from doing a lot of moves. For example if you hit Olimar with a turnip while he's grabbing, this will stop him from grabbing and he will have lag. Preferably you want to be close to the ground BUT in the air when doing this so you can punish effectively with something like a Bair (I don't think there's enough lag to pull of a Fair but if you want to try messing with it be my guess, because this can only help you out in the long run.) Try some turnip mind games too. The are a lot of Olimar players who do exactly what you hear people talking about on videos on Youtube, and C sticking the whole match. Playing around with turnips makes them second guess spamming C stick, and mess up their game completely.

If you have trouble with anything else let me know or just post it here.

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
Interesting ideas guys. I agree that this match probably is not in Peach's favor due to the very restricted options I can take but thats alright. I will give that turnip thing a try and see what happens. I have noticed that her crown attack which is a fair seems to beat any attack in the game with proper timing that I have tried to counter so maybe a turnip crown attack combo could get me in. Once I am I can use some tilts and go from there. Thanks!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Yeah, a dash attack probably isn't the best way to try and approach Olimar with Peach.

I don't know to much about Olimar vs. Peach but I tested some stuff in training mode and if you use your Nspecial, bringing out toad, just before a pikmin hits you the Pikmin will go right through you, and if you bring out toad while a Pikmin is hurting you he will instantly spray is gas stuff so that could be useful to just leave the Pikmin on you, run up to Olimar and just bring out toad to gas him.

Uhm, you could try and approach with her Fspecial, the hip thing, but I think it can be stopped with all of Olimars attacks... but it can catch a player off guard if they are going to grab you, thinking you are coming in for a dash attack or something, but then again he can grab you out of it... but it is fast :D Peach's Jab is probably faster then a lot of Olimars moves so maybe use that if you can get close to him. This just seems like an all around bad match up for Peach.
I play Peach also, and I'm going to say the matchup is pretty even. Peach is good at staying in the air to mess up Olimar's grab game, approaching diagonally so the only attack he can hit with is up b, and edgeguarding. Your best bet to approach Olimar with Peach is float and d-air.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess we can skip rob for now and make this week peach if y'all want. good idea?

Puddin

Smash Lord
NUUU. We should keep with ROB, you can just use this as info for Peach. But DanGR, did you see my suggestion in the counter pick stage thread? Actually it was Protomans suggestion, but we should start adding "best stage to bring ____" you know insert character name here, like for ROB you can put Luigi's Mansion since most people (Protoman and I? lol) think thats the best stage to bring him as a counter pick.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, I read it. I think I have a section in the OP called Best stages or something.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
I agree about the whole dtilt of robs, it is a great move of his, it has surprising range, its very very quick, and trips you. If you trip he can dash attack into multiple fairs. Outcamping rob is hard, esp with his gyro and laser. Also don't try to spot dodge dsmash its not a good idea lol, i did that for a whole match against a rob like a dummy, only good thing about his dsmash is you have to have really high dmg to die from it, other than that, people tend to roll dsmash a whole lot with rob.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
How about everyone stops talking about Peach and talks about R.O.B? Peach is bottom tier garbage and R.O.B you'll see at high level play so it is good to know how to play him.

Unfortunately when I fight R.O.B I just use Wolf so I don't know how to do this match up very well.

Puddin

Smash Lord
KMay, thats why we said to hold onto the Gyro, latch Pikmin while he charges the Gyro (thats a no-brainer) as to pressure him to either stop charging it or throw it, and grab the Gyro when he throws it. Also, I just did some testing and I don't know if this is known, but if you shield when the Gyro hits you it disappears.. which is weird.

Anyway, really the only way to get the Gyro while it's still spinning is to pick it up with a Dash Attack because otherwise it will just hit you away which is useful if the R.O.B. is running in to get the Gyro too. You could also latch Pikmin onto ROB so he is forced to stop and kill the Pikmin which gives you time to go get the Gyro. That's all for now :ohwell:

Edit: wait no it isn't I need to find a way around ROBs Dtilt, which has priority over Olimars. Well Olimar's FSmash obviously has a better range then ROBs Dtilt, so if you have a ROB spamming it hoping for you to accidentally run into it and tripping (what? who would do that) just walk up and Fsmash, Olimars grab (all but Purple) Outrange ROBs Dtilt, but if you do have a purple I suggest short hopping and throwing it at ROB to break his spam, if you are on the ground and throw it the Dtilt will just hit the Purple and wont do crap.

ROBs Dtilt has prority over Olimars Jabs so don't try that =\ Actually ROBs Dtilt has amazing priority, like Olimars Nair and the only thing going for Olimar is his range, which is better then ROBs Dtilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom