• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Republic...the MMO

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, as far as I checked I haven't seen any forum on this upcoming MMO.

I always enjoyed the Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic games when I was younger.

I was introduced by receiving the game for Christmas one year from a neighbor girl. I kinda wish I could have thanked her better, but at the time I wasn't too into Star Wars games...I don't even think I got her anything that year, mostly because I didn't actually expect her to get me anything. Dang, I was horrible when I was younger...Especially since she was actually the...eh, too late now.

Well anyway, The Old Republic is a new MMO based on the Star Wars universe, created by the same people who MADE KOTOR!

It's suppose to be the greatest step a game has made to actually giving the characters their own story, which all MMO's lack.

I don't know much information at this time, so I shall look more up, but feel free to discuss.

First Picture. For those that bought the Collector's Edition, here is one of the VIP stores

Some Companion customization options, something called "Moddable Armor" which probably is like Heirlooms in WoW or something, and a pet. There is apparently another store called a "VIP Lounge"

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
very interesting...hopefully it winds up being a uniquely good game and isn't just a knockoff of other MMOs that are out already.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Poor Bessie. She was doomed from the start. How long has this been in the works already? In my opinion, far too much room for screw ups.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm wishing they had just made another RPG, but in the least I'm going to give it a chance.

I don't like MMO's though.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
If they have half a brain then they won't screw this up. Pretty much every MMO out there is the same **** thing. Hell, with Star Wars thrown in there this pretty much can't fail. They'd have to really screw up the combat or have terrible servers for this not to work.

Don't get me wrong, I love innovation but MMO's are a dead end in that department as of now. It's all grind, and I can't see any feasible way to really remove that element from MMO's or making them feel close to a unique and dynamic world.

Christ I hate the way this market is going...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm bringing this back as the main SWTOR thread, mostly because it's the only one I can find and I'm STILL sure I was the first to make it.

TBH, who is a little disappointed at the game? It's a little too generic. I hope it succeeds, I bought the collector's edition.

I only played the first, 6 levels in Beta so I don't know what end game looks like. Anyone try the later levels?

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
this game is being developed by Bioware, who r (IMO) gods of Story... so at least we kno that that aspect of hte game is going to be great... anybody here decided on wat class they r going to play when the game comes out?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to revamp this entire thread when the game comes out.

I get to play it in a couple of days! Early access.

TBH, I like the Trooper and Agent the best so far. My Inquisitor and consular though are pretty awesome looking

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I could have actually tested this MMO if i wasn't busy with finals, but alas, I just decided to play a different MMO now

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, Bioware let some people in the game 2 days early and there is a rage war exploding on the forum

Not because people didn't get in, but from the people that are in complaining about how few people are currently playing the game.

Wow, let in 2 days and expecting the game to be filled with people in every area

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So I'm confused. I might check this game out, but I've always been more into light saber duels and such compared to space battles. Is it a 50/50 split for this game?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So I'm confused. I might check this game out, but I've always been more into light saber duels and such compared to space battles. Is it a 50/50 split for this game?
It's Wow with a shiny Star Wars skin

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, we'll find out in 6 days

I get to play early since I preordered, but how early is seemingly random

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I am in early.

I'm a consular at the moment for some reason. Just got into the storyline. Probably going to be a healer.

I should work on my sith, just can't get a character I like at the moment. Maybe I'm trying TOO hard to make them look evil.

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
cmon... the best evil characters, the the evil ones that look completely innocent... then they have this dark feeling about htem like "How is that possible?"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I switched to a Sith Sorceror after I posted that.

I'm already level 12. It's a lot funner picking the darkside options. I wonder if I should try creating a dark jedi

Server is down for maintenance right now...

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Having a blast in early release so far.
Level 17 Sith Sorcerer right now.
The big thing that I am liking over any mmo I've played is that you do have your own story to follow. The questing is actually enjoyable, because I'm doing things to further my own goals. In WoW I felt like just an errand boy to the entire world. I actually feel like I'm accomplishing something when I finish a quest arc. Deciding who gets to live or die is a great feeling.
I tried Assassin in beta, but Sorcerer is so much more fun for my style of play. Stand really far back, and nuke/stun the **** out of you ;)
And another big prop is that you can manage to look really badass in low level gear. Not like you just threw a bunch of rags on yourself and called it a day, like WoW was half the time low level.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My main as of now is a sith sorceror or human gunslinger...

I named my gunslinger "Holiday" after Doc Holiday...Though he looks closer to Wyatt.

I am actually enjoying this game. Compared to Wow, I'm not sure if it's better or worse yet. But it by itself is quite good

Edit: West Coast server's have been invaded by Aussies, so there is pretty bad lag and full servers

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I'm already in early. I made a Jedi Sentinel. (Dark jedi of course, because I love being an *******)

I like the game but as with every game, there are some glaring flaws that irritate the piss out of me. (SETTINGS Y U NO SAVE)

The way the story/quest arcs are executed is far better than WoW (IMO, which is saying a lot...I always wanted to tell certain NPCs to **** off in WoW....I love how BioWare does their dialog options.)
I totally agree with whoever said it's awesome to decide who lives or dies in certain quests. Some people really rub me the wrong way so it's nice to be able to cut them down. Or extort money from them. Or kill them.

The combat system forces you to pay a little bit of attention as there is no auto attack. I think this is a plus. I also think it kind of sucks sometimes because suddenly I will have a puppy headbutting me and I'll die for sure if I disengage the computer.

THERE ARE HEROIC QUESTS THAT DON'T NEED FIVE FARKING PEOPLE. Hooray! Although with my class I'm able to solo about 90% of them. They're hard, but they're not impossible. So far flash points are kind of easy too. (I'm level 19)

The graphics are nice but the lack of AA ruins the whole damn thing. Even if I force it in nVidia control panel it still looks like ****. It's also still a bit too 'glowy.'

There are a lot of bugs/oversights they need to fix still - Your 'social' options don't remain how you'd like them even after hitting apply, and some other menu options for that matter. There's a lot of them but only a handful are annoying enough that I remember them right now.
It also doesn't notify you that you've made changes to your controls/options etc when you go to close the window and just lets you close it. I'm used to certain things auto-saving, so this threw me off the first few times.

The lag is atrocious in certain areas of certain zones which leads me to believe it is something in that area and not the population; it was nearly abandoned yesterday and I was starting to panic thinking I was going to get DC'ed.
And speaking of DC....there is no grace period right now for when you log out or DC. You are just simply gone from the game.
Which means if there is a 30 minute queue and you get disconnected, you get to wait 30 minutes to get back into wherever you were booted from. Pray you were not booted from a flashpoint with a group of four. I really hope they fix this because the queues can be terrible and the damn game isn't even out yet. It's ridiculous.

With the client I have, you have to completely close the client in order to switch accounts, which is stupid. Robert told me it was some sort of 'security' issue (I'm pretty sure he was making it up though, he does that) but I'm pretty sure the annoying security questions they're already pestering you with and an authenticator should be enough. Having to close client to switch accounts is ********. It makes me angry.

Imo, the space missions need some help. They are a pain in the *** due to the buttons you have to rapid fire being on the mouse. (After about three minutes of clicking both mouse buttons constantly, my wrist is in agony.)
I dunno about anyone else but I wish I could bind the keys elsewhere but there is no option to. If there was a way we could do that, that would be awesome.
For me, they're difficult and a bit frustrating because I don't have any patience and once my wrist is set aflame with pain that's it. lol

anyway,
I've already got my ship (it's so damn small! WTF I WANT A BIGGER SHIP) and traveling to other planets is easy enough. I'm currently on Taris doing missions.

Taking care of gear or getting new gear is easy enough. Making money (I have 25k from leveling and crafting) and leveling professions is also pretty easy considering you can get your companions to do it for you...which means I may actually level a profession. I never did in WoW.

All in all I like the game. It is generic in some ways and unique in others, both good and bad. Some of the bugs/oversights I've mentioned they'll undoubtedly fix so I'm not really too worried about it. The good thing about this game is if something pisses me off, I don't have to do it. There are a lot of quests, flashpoints, and heroic areas/instances, and I don't have to be stuck to a particular chain of quests to level quickly. I think I've only played it 10 hours...most of which were 'GRAPHICS SETTINGS Y U NO SAVE'

I plan on playing this and Warcraft. It'll be nice to have another MMO to go to when I'm either bored or angry at the first one.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I picked the WRONG server...

The only one packed 24/7.

I think it's because it's filled with Aussies.

Maybe it was a bad idea to pick a server based on it's name.

I love the trooper class, but I don't like being the good guy. I'm going to try making a bounty hunter, but I just can't get into any of the ones I've made so far.

I had the perfect idea for a trooper. He's a generic meathead grunt with type 3 body type (Giant Muscular) Zabrak with burns and bruises all over his face.

Wanted to be a Twilek Bounty Hunter, but that option is not available

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
You don't have to be a 'good guy.' You can be on Republic side and still be a total *******. That's what I do.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh I've got no problem with being evil on the republic side. It's actually more fun because on the Sith side when you are evil everyone just treats it like you picked the right answer anyway.

They actually make a deal of it on the republic side when you kill or extort someone.

My smuggler is 100% darkside. In everything just for the money. I want to play differently with all my characters though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WTF? I have to pay to get my 30 days free game time?

EA you suck

I was going to wait the 30 days to see if I liked playing before paying for three months. I have to pay that 3 months ahead of time just to get those 30 days

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Doing world questing is so damn hard when there is class questing I could be doing...
Too bad the world questing is like a means to an end for class questing, eh?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is a severe lack of republic players in the game. Not jut on my server, but all servers.

This is leading to some pretty bad PvP

My character, of course, is Empire. Sith Pureblood Sorcerer.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I would play this game except I don't have a gaming pc unfortunately. I'm also waiting for it to go free to play. I would have preferred they had made a Kotor 3 honestly.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: I never got very far into the game. THB a lot of things feel lackluster in it compared to even a game as old as WoW.

However, it may ...eventually come into it's own light.

I wonder if it will become FTP anytime soon though.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Edit: I never got very far into the game. THB a lot of things feel lackluster in it compared to even a game as old as WoW.

However, it may ...eventually come into it's own light.

I wonder if it will become FTP anytime soon though.
I made a prediction that after release it would go F2P in six months. I'll admit I was wrong in that regard.
It'll be DEAD six months after release, clearly.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
SWTOR is asking people what planet they want to see in a future update.

The obvious popular answer is going to be Kashyyyk

Top Bottom