• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player-1

Smash Legend
they both have the same animation so it should be considered the same thing. THe banana trip is just forced.
no you can't trip on a banana scrub...you can slip on one...then you can trip into a slip....then you can slip into a trip, plus slip starts with an 'sl'

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
Just a quick question: How do you pick up a banana off the ground with fair? I keep trying it but I end up just fair-ing above the banana and not picking it up? Is there some trick or do I just need to fair faster?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Just a quick question: How do you pick up a banana off the ground with fair? I keep trying it but I end up just fair-ing above the banana and not picking it up? Is there some trick or do I just need to fair faster?
you probably have to fair faster, it has to be a RISING fair, and make sure you're close enough.

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
First of all- Hi. I'm a new Diddy main.

Second- Is there an easy way to dribble with Wiimote+Chuck?

napZzz

Smash Hero
First of all- Hi. I'm a new Diddy main.

Second- Is there an easy way to dribble with Wiimote+Chuck?
none that I'm sure of
Yeah, I've been doing rising fair but I still can't get it. I'm claiming my wii to be broke because I can't get it for the life of me.
you have to kinda DI towards the banana and fair INSTANTLY. Its not that hard if you try it for a little while

also, I'm sick of fighting falco with snake, I wanna do it with diddy. can someone (who wont theorycraft and isn't dumb) describe the main points of the matchup to me? I've gotten down gimping falco, but onstage I have issues with him

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Hold the direction towards the Banana, press X/Y (I prefer X) and ROLL your thumb over onto A immediately after. You'll do an instant rising F-Air DI'ing towards the Banana, and will pick it up. I highly recommend you try practicing Thunderstorming as Ganondorf without Tap Jump (using Auto-Canceled Short Hop D-Airs one after another, with no landing lag or pauses between jumps); it's kinda like that. You need to F-Air the absolute second you leave the ground, just like when you want to Auto-Cancel a long aerial. It becomes second nature once you get it, so don't fret it too much.

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
also, I'm sick of fighting falco with snake, I wanna do it with diddy. can someone (who wont theorycraft and isn't dumb) describe the main points of the matchup to me? I've gotten down gimping falco, but onstage I have issues with him
Alright, the biggest thing to know when playing falco is to fake him out. He will try to reflect your bananas all night so you gotta bait it and then punish him for it during the frames when the reflector is going back to falco. Good ways to fake him out include a down thrown glide toss backwards out of a full sprint, run > short hop > z drop > fair if he kicks out his reflector, and you can even crawl under his reflector and dtilt with a banana in your hands. As far as punishing when he misses the reflector.....diddy flip.....enough said. Learning how to avoid getting camped by his SHDL is also a necessity. And learn how to punish his phantasm. You have the potential to **** his recovery hard with diddy. You can peanut him out of the phantasm forcing a fire bird which is easy to edgehog, or you could do an OoS glide toss (blocking the phantasm and hitting him with the banana) if he tries to phantasm onto the stage, or you could even pull out your barrells if you want to get fancy and when he phantasms through you it'll knock them off and potentially nail him. Those are the main points so it's pretty straight forward besides that. Just practice against a falco and see what works for you and what doesn't is the big thing. I also find that having good timing to recatch all the bananas he reflects/throws back at you helps a lot too. Whether it be aerials, air dodges, or cartwheels.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Dont Glidetoss OoS to punish things except if they're far away or have a short trip animation, glidetoss takes more frames, and they could shield in time.

everything else is on point.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Alright, the biggest thing to know when playing falco is to fake him out. He will try to reflect your bananas all night so you gotta bait it and then punish him for it during the frames when the reflector is going back to falco. Good ways to fake him out include a down thrown glide toss backwards out of a full sprint, run > short hop > z drop > fair if he kicks out his reflector, and you can even crawl under his reflector and dtilt with a banana in your hands. As far as punishing when he misses the reflector.....diddy flip.....enough said. Learning how to avoid getting camped by his SHDL is also a necessity. And learn how to punish his phantasm. You have the potential to **** his recovery hard with diddy. You can peanut him out of the phantasm forcing a fire bird which is easy to edgehog, or you could do an OoS glide toss (blocking the phantasm and hitting him with the banana) if he tries to phantasm onto the stage, or you could even pull out your barrells if you want to get fancy and when he phantasms through you it'll knock them off and potentially nail him. Those are the main points so it's pretty straight forward besides that. Just practice against a falco and see what works for you and what doesn't is the big thing. I also find that having good timing to recatch all the bananas he reflects/throws back at you helps a lot too. Whether it be aerials, air dodges, or cartwheels.
that helps. The main things I struggle with are finding times to get out a banana and use it on him and not get laser ***** during. REflector is annoying because EVEN FROM ****ING BEHIND and WHILE ITS PULLING BACK the stupid thing still reflects. I'll just stick to the diddy flip I guess. But getting out a banana is tough without taking laser damage because of how rapid his laser game is. Although I usually dont mind it because I know that EVENTUALLY I will hit him with a banana, and he WILL get ***** for it.

any tips on not getting grabbed? The cg-spike is annoying and puts you in a bad spot, and I haven't quite learned how to SDI and tech it -_-

I was almost thinking of just letting the falco get some sort of combo/**** on me so I can avoid it all together if there isn't a way of avoiding it thats very reliable. Problem is some of falcos moves lead to a grab >_< so I dont really know how to get close and let him hit me. Maybe just jump into lasers for awile I guess...

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
How do you instant throw items (bananas, bombs, etc)?
Catch with an air-dodge and immediately throw with the c-stick (any direction). You're essentially catching with an air-dodge, and canceling the animation with a throw. So it has to be very quick.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Are there any recent vids of respectable Diddys vs. respectable Olis? For the longest time, that matchup's been stressing me out the most. I get the theory, but I still have a hard time putting stuff into action (like bouncing the naner off pikmin and then throwing) so I just want to see how pros do it. I've been relying on gimps.:ohwell:

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm actually curious about that match up as well. It seems like it wouldn't be bad, but those Pikmin are a pain in the ***. I find them blocking my bananas a lot.

Esca

Smash Champion
See, here's what you do against Olimar, see.

Olimar has trouble with his recovery, so your main objective of this matchup is getting Olimar off the stage. Wait until he's about to grab the ledge, and grab it jsut immediately before he Up-B's. This is called "Edge Hogging."

Or you can take him to Frigate and camp his ***** ***.

/gnestroll

ADHD

Smash Hero
Just don't play badly and then lose to dabuz..

Like me :) My god that kid is strange, after game 3 and he just got a purple upsmash on me at 70, he got down on his knees and started praying, he did this alot during the set as well LOL.. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Just don't play badly and then lose to dabuz..

Like me :) My god that kid is strange, after game 3 and he just got a purple upsmash on me at 70, he got down on his knees and started praying, he did this alot during the set as well LOL.. I don't think anything else needs to be said.
yeah, i do that because otherwise i get really nervous in a match and start making a lot of mistakes

tibs7

Smash Champion
please help me in the TL MU, i just lost to one yesterday, it was pretty close and i SD'ed a fair bit but still i got kinda *****. everytime i plucked bananas, he would pressure me with projectiles and then he'd get them and glide toss -> zair/neutral air =(i has no exp. in this matchup..please help

Player-3

Smash Hero
please help me in the TL MU, i just lost to one yesterday, it was pretty close and i SD'ed a fair bit but still i got kinda *****. everytime i plucked bananas, he would pressure me with projectiles and then he'd get them and glide toss -> zair/neutral air =(i has no exp. in this matchup..please help
just run straight at him, dont shield at all
it works

ADHD told p1 who told me to do it and it works

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
U heard wrong :(
QFT

You just eat arrow spam all day. Try to space F-Airs well, and remember that bombs go THROUGH Bananas, so you can't, er, "Bomb Bounce" them. Learn to know when they will throw a bomb and when they won't, and punish them accordingly. I find Tinks rediculously easy to spike, but that may just be me.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I feel like the hardest part of the MU for me is knowing where to be.. I feel like an idiot saying that but I really don't know how to put it into words lol

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
that helps. The main things I struggle with are finding times to get out a banana and use it on him and not get laser ***** during. REflector is annoying because EVEN FROM ****ING BEHIND and WHILE ITS PULLING BACK the stupid thing still reflects. I'll just stick to the diddy flip I guess. But getting out a banana is tough without taking laser damage because of how rapid his laser game is. Although I usually dont mind it because I know that EVENTUALLY I will hit him with a banana, and he WILL get ***** for it.

any tips on not getting grabbed? The cg-spike is annoying and puts you in a bad spot, and I haven't quite learned how to SDI and tech it -_-

I was almost thinking of just letting the falco get some sort of combo/**** on me so I can avoid it all together if there isn't a way of avoiding it thats very reliable. Problem is some of falcos moves lead to a grab >_< so I dont really know how to get close and let him hit me. Maybe just jump into lasers for awile I guess...
Sorry, I was away from a computer all weekend. Basically you have to play more defensive than usual and play more of a poking game until you get to 40%. I try to ONLY approach if I hit him with a naner and poke him with aerials here and there. Bair FTW!!! After 40%, let him have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom