• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Ive only seen the first match so far, your diddy is pretty nice , tho one thing that i noticed is that you always did the flip kick during every side b you did, even if you didnt really need to. Empty side bs can be used nicely for mixups

tibs7

Smash Champion
wario can pretty much punish anything we do on reaction when coming from the ledge.
but yeah side b was least punishable. i made a ton of mistakes.
and yeah his DI was so lollable, bahaha so good,

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Oh sorry tibs xD; that was to MJG since I only had time then to watch one match, so I opted to watch his (it ended up being a playlist link tho for the whole set) Tho I'll look through your matches and see if I can give any advice or anything :) After my nap :X

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Here's vids from tournament like 2 or 3 weeks ago:

Me Vs 4God: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHg...UCGXQYbcTJ33YhSMquDgYME2J7uXvpWkKJ5ZhGRqkiH7k

Me Vs Micaelis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGgL...UCGXQYbcTJ33YhSMquDgYME2J7uXvpWkKJ5ZhGRqkiH7k

I have a set vs kismet coming too I think, it went to game 5, but it was pretty much the two of us SDing and gimping each other the whole entire set.

Here's a vid of me 4god at the past tournament last weekend. He won, but idk I didn't feel like I was playing the MU how I usually do, I was playing way to unsafe and just got grabbed and took like 50 damage (like for example, end of game 1. I had percent lead with 20 seconds left on the clock and I tried to approach....like wtf was I thinking?) and stuff where as if you watch any vids from me vs 4god (like the one above ^^^) I'm playing more careful I was also messing just small technical things up like usmashing instead of utilting or doing a standing grab instead of a turn around grab, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC14Kw8Rt9g&feature=g-playlist&list=PLABD75782C0C6039B

Game 2 wasn't saved there, but I won you can find it here though (12:15): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20542349

edit: oh yeah, game 3 of me vs micaelis is on RC if anyone is interested in that.
You really changed it up in these matches, like it was the first thing I noticed. You normally play bait/punish with a bit of aggro, but you seemed to try and overwhelm all of the people you played. It's good in MU's like :olimar: because he doesn't handle pressure though, but against :dedede: and :wario: you have to tend to stay back. Maybe you were just trying something different this go round, idk, but you didn't play bad at all; just out of character.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alrighty, so here are the vids from Phoenix Saga 2. I felt like I played pretty well, but my style is still lacking a lot. Critique from my :diddy: brethren would be appreciated ^_^.

Winner's Round 1 - Zinoto :diddy: vs. Red :sheik:
Winner's Round 2 - Zinoto :diddy: vs. Tutu :sheik:
Loser's Round 3 - Zinoto :diddy: vs. Roller :popo:
Loser's Finals - Zinoto :diddy: vs. Coco :olimar: (Match 1 & 2)
Loser's Finals - Zinoto :diddy: vs. Coco :olimar: (Match 3)
Grand Finals - Zinoto :diddy: vs. Mikey Lenetia :peach:

Player 1, I'd really like your opinion on how I played vs. Tutu. I've watched you play against Bill a lot and I really have trouble in that MU.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
its ok. no one ask me for shiek advice :laugh:

im free vs zelda though. seriously dont even ask for help with that one

Edit: also maybe possible some new singles vids from this upcoming weekend. The last good vid I had was against nick riddle, and it never got uploaded

Vega4

Smash Ace
@Zinoto, I just watched your set vs that Peach. You should try using glidetoss backward- nana down to get easier kills vs Peach. Peach mains use to fall a lot in this (and others aerials characters like Wario).

Also, I don't know why you all don't use more the "pivot monkey flip?" I use that name 'cause I don't know which is the name for that: Run the opposite side of your opponent, and almost inmediately do a monkey flip to the side of your opponent. It's a good way to get free monkey flips on your opponents (they use to run after a running away Diddy), it works a lot (but don't be predictable...), and somehow, it looks like it extends monkey flip range (like pivot grab?).

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
@Lzr Because your one or more of the following
1) Free
2) Like to shield a lot
3) Love the monkey wang

@vega Do you mean B reverse/wavebounce (dont know if theres a difference between the two or not) side B? And just going off of what i know of peach I dont think glidetossing the banana down while moving back would be the best idea against peach cause of ground floats, tho I be a scrub so eh

Zinoto

Smash Lord
its ok. no one ask me for shiek advice :laugh:

im free vs zelda though. seriously dont even ask for help with that one

Edit: also maybe possible some new singles vids from this upcoming weekend. The last good vid I had was against nick riddle, and it never got uploaded
I'd appreciate your advice too. I just knew that P1 plays lots of :sheik:. :sheik: seems like a :metaknight: with a bad recovery. I get f-tilted to like 60% each stock.

@Zinoto, I just watched your set vs that Peach. You should try using glidetoss backward- nana down to get easier kills vs Peach. Peach mains use to fall a lot in this (and others aerials characters like Wario).

Also, I don't know why you all don't use more the "pivot monkey flip?" I use that name 'cause I don't know which is the name for that: Run the opposite side of your opponent, and almost inmediately do a monkey flip to the side of your opponent. It's a good way to get free monkey flips on your opponents (they use to run after a running away Diddy), it works a lot (but don't be predictable...), and somehow, it looks like it extends monkey flip range (like pivot grab?).
You mean baiting the falling fair with a glide toss? I'll try that, normally I just shield it. What kill moves do you usually use against peach besides fair and smashes?

@Lzr Because your one or more of the following
1) Free
2) Like to shield a lot
3) Love the monkey wang

@vega Do you mean B reverse/wavebounce (dont know if theres a difference between the two or not) side B? And just going off of what i know of peach I dont think glidetossing the banana down while moving back would be the best idea against peach cause of ground floats, tho I be a scrub so eh
I think he means feigning running away and then immediately using side-b as a surprise tactic. I don't know if :peach: attacks will pick up bananas as she lands or not either.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'm on my phone now so can't really link but I have a vid against ed aka scarylb59 .

In general it really is like mk but with a bad recovery . Shiek has masterfully trolling ways to gimp you. He's also like us in that I personally feel he's very momentum based. If you feel like the shiek hit god mode do the right thing and just run. A few seconds of shiek on fire is very similar damage output to us...and you know how bad that can be lol

Aside from that know the range of dacus. Shiek will dacus you and you will die if you don't watch out. If you do get hit smash DI the first hit straight down . You take more damage but much less knockback as the 2nd hit is the real killing part like our fsmash

Edit: also as you already stated pretty much...play very safe at low percentages due to tilt lock. If you are really good at dual sticking then just watch out for the shield grab followup if they notice it

:phone:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I watched your set against tutu zinoto. Use more side-b, it's really good vs sheik I find. When you're playing you seem to play like the same when you're at low %s or high %s. When you're at high percents you need to camp more because when you get to a certain point in damage it doesn't really matter if you're like at 180% or 220%...pretty much anything will kill you so taking a bit of extra damage is fine as long as it's not a kill move and since your camping and your opponent is trying to hit you with a kill move then you kind of know what moves they'll choose and to be ready for them while you're camping which leads to massive punishment. Tutu used a lot of dacus for kills when you were at high percents so camping back with a banana or two would have really weakened that strategy. You need to mixup your landings more with B reverse popguns you got a good amount of damage. I don't ftilt lock really matters that much in this MU, you'll get hit by a couple, but the only way for them to continue it for a while is if certain conditions are met that are situational like how stale it is and what % you're at. If you get into the ftilt lock just mash up on the c stick and direction pad since you can uair and it comes out frame 3 which is super fast. Sometimes it's best to just midair jump out though if you're high enough. Sheik can get most of the damage by edgeguarding you and juggling you, tutu didn't really rack up a lot of damage by edgeguarding you though, but if you're playing a sheik that does just recover low, it works better usually. You should be more patient with your banana throws, game 1 you weren't really that patient, but games 2 and 3 you were a bit more patient, but it would've been better if you were more patient. That's where side-b can also come in and help you as a mixup. You also need to be more patient when you force your opponent into a situation. I see you dash back a lot which is REALLY good in general it helps with stage control so much especially when you have a banana in your hand, but you also dash back when you trip an opponent and then dash back towards them to punish. That's fine and a legitimate option, but it looks like you kind of use that as a marker...like you could just stand still and have the same result which is what you should do more...just stand still and wait for your opponent to do something, but it seems like you always want to be doing something even if it's just a simple dash back. Again, like if you trip an opponent dashing backwards and then dash forward back at them is fine, it's just a substitution for when you could just be standing still. I saw a couple of times where you forced tutu into some situations and you just immediately spotdodged or rolled or threw a banana when you should have just been patient and waited for tutu to do something and then punish.

The main points: Side-b more, b reverse popguns more, be more patient.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I watched your set against tutu zinoto. Use more side-b, it's really good vs sheik I find. When you're playing you seem to play like the same when you're at low %s or high %s. When you're at high percents you need to camp more because when you get to a certain point in damage it doesn't really matter if you're like at 180% or 220%...pretty much anything will kill you so taking a bit of extra damage is fine as long as it's not a kill move and since your camping and your opponent is trying to hit you with a kill move then you kind of know what moves they'll choose and to be ready for them while you're camping which leads to massive punishment. Tutu used a lot of dacus for kills when you were at high percents so camping back with a banana or two would have really weakened that strategy. You need to mixup your landings more with B reverse popguns you got a good amount of damage. I don't ftilt lock really matters that much in this MU, you'll get hit by a couple, but the only way for them to continue it for a while is if certain conditions are met that are situational like how stale it is and what % you're at. If you get into the ftilt lock just mash up on the c stick and direction pad since you can uair and it comes out frame 3 which is super fast. Sometimes it's best to just midair jump out though if you're high enough. Sheik can get most of the damage by edgeguarding you and juggling you, tutu didn't really rack up a lot of damage by edgeguarding you though, but if you're playing a sheik that does just recover low, it works better usually. You should be more patient with your banana throws, game 1 you weren't really that patient, but games 2 and 3 you were a bit more patient, but it would've been better if you were more patient. That's where side-b can also come in and help you as a mixup. You also need to be more patient when you force your opponent into a situation. I see you dash back a lot which is REALLY good in general it helps with stage control so much especially when you have a banana in your hand, but you also dash back when you trip an opponent and then dash back towards them to punish. That's fine and a legitimate option, but it looks like you kind of use that as a marker...like you could just stand still and have the same result which is what you should do more...just stand still and wait for your opponent to do something, but it seems like you always want to be doing something even if it's just a simple dash back. Again, like if you trip an opponent dashing backwards and then dash forward back at them is fine, it's just a substitution for when you could just be standing still. I saw a couple of times where you forced tutu into some situations and you just immediately spotdodged or rolled or threw a banana when you should have just been patient and waited for tutu to do something and then punish.

The main points: Side-b more, b reverse popguns more, be more patient.
Thanks for this, :sheik: seems to be really hard for me, but this is definitely going to help me at Phoenix Saga 3. I watched the match again and i realized I really do move too much lol. Sitting there never really occurred to me as a legitimate option for some reason. :sheik: is good at punishing mistakes, so I guess I should just camp her and let her make mistakes. If you recover low, can't they just use a falling nair or something to gimp us? Or tether stall until we use our up-b? Also, how do you do the wavebounce popgun cancel (where you're momentum shifts, but you're still facing the same direction)? I see you use it all the time, but I can't get the hang of it.

Player-1

Smash Legend
what? I never wavebounce popguns, it doesn't really help vs a b reverse popgun.

Sheik's tether stall isn't as good as the other tether's (or at least that's like what it seems to me) and if you stall while they're tether stalling then they'll usually just rapidly keep doing it (max 3) so if they're just mindlessly doing it which most people do then you can just time your up-b right and make it back. If they fall nair then you can also just wait until the nair is done. It's a guessing game in your favor since you can still react. Tutu doesn't edgeguard that much as opposed to Bill_ diddy so if you're facing tutu then you can probably just recover level with the stage and be fine for the most part though. When I play Bill_ I usually take a lot of damage when he edgeguards me so usually I'll skip all of that damage and just recover low.

To do wavebounce popguns though...say you're moving backward while looking forward tap back then b reverse forward.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think Georgia would lose to the bottom half of Socal (7th and below) and some of our honorable mentions

User was infracted for this post.

Player-1

Smash Legend
maybe because MK is banned? DRN is a ZSS who got 33rd at Apex and knocked dojo out. DRN shouldn't be #1 really I was 2-0 against him that season (with and without MK) outplaced him at every tournament except for Apex. Kismet was 1-0 against him that season and outplaced him at every tournament except Apex. 4God was 1-0 against him and outplaced him at most tournaments except Apex. Our panelist are dumb tho.

maybe because MK is banned? DRN shouldn't be #1 really I was 2-0 against him that season (with and without MK) outplaced him at every tournament except for Apex. Kismet was 1-0 against him that season and outplaced him at every tournament except Apex. 4God was 1-0 against him and outplaced him at most tournaments except Apex. Our panelist are dumb tho.

DRN would still wreck most of your PR though and so would most of the people on our PR.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
MK isn't banned, he's only banned under the unity rule set. I could bet money that no one in your PR would take out Anuar. Also, if w e were really doing the complete lower half of our PR (6 and below) there is no way in hell you guys would have a chance since DEHF is #6

Player-1

Smash Legend
MK isn't banned, he's only banned under the unity rule set. I could bet money that no one in your PR would take out Anuar. Also, if w e were really doing the complete lower half of our PR (6 and below) there is no way in hell you guys would have a chance since DEHF is #6
All GA/AL uses is unity or at least MK banned now so GG.

BigLou beat Anuar and he isnt even ranked and I already beat your best player in a $1 MM :troll:

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I think Georgia would lose to the bottom half of Socal (7th and below) and some of our honorable mentions
Nobody should ever post anything like this, ever. This is blatant flamebait and nothing else. This was infracted, and any more responses to this topic or posts like this will also be infracted. No warnings.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i swear i called him in guilt like every single time I addressed him at that one georgia tourney i met him. I couldnt help it :laugh:

Zinoto

Smash Lord
what? I never wavebounce popguns, it doesn't really help vs a b reverse popgun.

Sheik's tether stall isn't as good as the other tether's (or at least that's like what it seems to me) and if you stall while they're tether stalling then they'll usually just rapidly keep doing it (max 3) so if they're just mindlessly doing it which most people do then you can just time your up-b right and make it back. If they fall nair then you can also just wait until the nair is done. It's a guessing game in your favor since you can still react. Tutu doesn't edgeguard that much as opposed to Bill_ diddy so if you're facing tutu then you can probably just recover level with the stage and be fine for the most part though. When I play Bill_ I usually take a lot of damage when he edgeguards me so usually I'll skip all of that damage and just recover low.

To do wavebounce popguns though...say you're moving backward while looking forward tap back then b reverse forward.
I appreciate the advice. You're a really insightful player, glad I can probe your mind a bit for some MU advice ^_^.

Ingulit, I was looking around the boards and I noticed a lot of the boards have really good MU discussions, but ours is still incomplete. I'll take over the discussion thread so we can get it finished. I really liked that thread, but it's a shame it's not active anymore.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I appreciate the advice. You're a really insightful player, glad I can probe your mind a bit for some MU advice ^_^.

Ingulit, I was looking around the boards and I noticed a lot of the boards have really good MU discussions, but ours is still incomplete. I'll take over the discussion thread so we can get it finished. I really liked that thread, but it's a shame it's not active anymore.
Go for it! It really does need to get done. I'll give you control of the thread.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
But I beat Biglou and I wasn't even ranked!

Either way. Reflex would probably be like 7th or 8th on our PR and contend with Anuar. And Kismet/4GOD/P-1 would have at chance of being ranked 9th/10th but I think that's it. Vato and Falln are really good, and I'm not too shabby either if I can say so myself.

And ZSS. YES PLEASE I love ZSS!!!

In other news, I am here because I play Diddy. I've been playing Diddy basically since after apex and its really brought a lot of life back into this game for me. I'm having a few technical questions though.

I don't use reverse pivot popgun at all yet. and I know you use it similar to how snake pivots nades in the air to switch up his landings.

2. how do you fight back against a MK that is in your face all the time and puts you in a situation with out being able to get a banana out. Havok is really good at this.

3. I pick up Bananas a lot with Jumping Fair/jump nair. Is it possible to grab them off the ground with jump Bair since it wont leave me vulnerable to something like Dash attack? What's the best way to do this?

4. How do you hold the banana yet still use D tilt? All I can do is Charge F smash. are those the only two options you can do while holding a banana?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
But I beat Biglou and I wasn't even ranked!

Either way. Reflex would probably be like 7th or 8th on our PR and contend with Anuar. And Kismet/4GOD/P-1 would have at chance of being ranked 9th/10th but I think that's it. Vato and Falln are really good, and I'm not too shabby either if I can say so myself.

And ZSS. YES PLEASE I love ZSS!!!

In other news, I am here because I play Diddy. I've been playing Diddy basically since after apex and its really brought a lot of life back into this game for me. I'm having a few technical questions though.

I don't use reverse pivot popgun at all yet. and I know you use it similar to how snake pivots nades in the air to switch up his landings.

2. how do you fight back against a MK that is in your face all the time and puts you in a situation with out being able to get a banana out. Havok is really good at this.

3. I pick up Bananas a lot with Jumping Fair/jump nair. Is it possible to grab them off the ground with jump Bair since it wont leave me vulnerable to something like Dash attack? What's the best way to do this?

4. How do you hold the banana yet still use D tilt? All I can do is Charge F smash. are those the only two options you can do while holding a banana?
3. You can pick up a Banana with any non-Special, non-Jump air action, be that F-Air, N-Air, Airdodge, or, yes, B-Air.

4. You press A while Crawling (forward? I think you can be Crawling backward as well, but I'm suddenly not sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom