• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
About your Norfair question Coyn, heres the characters that I know: MK, Olimar, Wario, G&W, and Snake though hes a little more of a personal choice cause he gives me a lot of trouble on Norfair when has control of the bottom platform.
Other characters that seem like they would be good but Im unsure of are Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Pit.

EDIT: Well I never see people use it and jab>Dtilt just has more follow ups/ is a lot safer.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
no, the AAA combo is a true combo. If people start to catch on by power shielding or spotdodging, then the AAA combo helps a lot, I love doing the AAA combo in the Olimar matchup actually.
QFT

Once you get into his pikmin fortress it's hard to keep pressure on to rack up damage faster than he can. AAA combos help a ton here, as do (in my experience) grabs to throw them off the stage. The Olimar match-up is tricky :\

Unrelated: How did I forget Dribbling and Banana Locking? :psycho: I guess I thought Glide Tossing covered all that :p

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
What is the difference between dribbling and banana locking?
Dribbling = Glide Toss down

Banana Locking = Throw banana 1 => GT banana 2 => Throw banana 1 => GT banana 2 => repeat until near the end of stage => run and have a field day. In essence it's just keeping your opponent in stun with a chain of nannerz.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Oh, okay I got banana locking.

How can dribbling help?
I usually just use that to get in smash attacks since i'm holding a banana.

Count

Smash Champion
Dribbling may seem unimportant, but you will see yourself improve more than at any other point of playing diddy besides when you learned to glide toss.

^That all being when you implement dribbling into your game.

IxxI

Smash Fence
So start mixing everything up early to prevent habits?
I notice I have a habit of retreating backwards to retrieve my banana when an opponent is offstage.
What should I do instead?

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Depends what character you are playing against, you wanna keep them pressured off the ledge to try and gimp them. When you have a character with a predictable recovery off the stage (Snake, CF, Bowser etc.) a banana isn't really needed. Just anticipate and intercept. ^^

On the flip side, characters like MK who have many means of recovery are easier to gimp when you have a banana

ErHmm: (bad example. you don't really wanna follow MK of the ledge. Just throw bananas and shoot peanuts at him)

Anyway, point is if you got the time grab it and keep em guessing.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I dont think we gave you a specific enough definition of dribbling. Dribbling isnt just GTing down. Its glide tossing backwards while throwing down. Then hitting A immediately after wards to pick up the banana again. Its very fast and looks like you just slid backwards. And you can do it at almost any time on the ground (outve shields, running, popguns etc) This makes it very versatile and an awesome mindgame.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I dont think we gave you a specific enough definition of dribbling. Dribbling isnt just GTing down. Its glide tossing backwards while throwing down. Then hitting A immediately after wards to pick up the banana again. Its very fast and looks like you just slid backwards. And you can do it at almost any time on the ground (outve shields, running, popguns etc) This makes it very versatile and an awesome mindgame.
Oh okay, thanks.
That was a better definition. Only backwards though? You can't glide toss forward, throwing down and catching?
You can only catch while going backward?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well Im not sure who it was but someone found a way to Dribble forwards. You glidetoss forwards and throw down. Then hold left and time the A so that you turn around and pick up the banana at the same time. I saw a vid of a Diddy mixing this in with regualr Dribbles and it looked really cool.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Dribbling is last week. Reverse glide toss down to sh rising fair is whats up now. Thanks ADHD lol.
forward down glide toss>pivot dtilt> (possible extra dtilt depending on %'s and DI) > Grab > grab release or dtilt > follow up

oh **** combo xD

um...question:

dealing with catching banana via air. while i know i can still do arials when i full hop my down b catch with arial or ZAC. what are possible follow ups with this besides a single arial attack :\? i find it rather pointless. i need more info :\

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Oh, okay I got banana locking.

How can dribbling help?
I usually just use that to get in smash attacks since i'm holding a banana.
Dribbling does 8 damage. If you didn't know, that's a lot of a banana.
I dribble a lot, i mean...a lot. My favorite position is when I'm right next to someone, a lot of people jump out of shield and throw the banana down. I prefer to dribble instead, a lot of the time when the opponent sees you move, they will sidestep, just charge an FSmash, when the side step animation ends, they'll slip on the banana and your FSmash is open to ****.

Have fun with this.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
well while you guys have all your fancy banana tricks, I'll just be simple and do a regular thrown banana at you.
hey if ur opponent lets u do banana tricks on u then lol it looks good in our combo vids eh :p

IxxI

Smash Fence
dealing with catching banana via air. while i know i can still do arials when i full hop my down b catch with arial or ZAC. what are possible follow ups with this besides a single arial attack :\? i find it rather pointless. i need more info :\
Peanuts, and Diddy hump are what I can think up from the top of my head.
Don't forget about landing. =D

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
is this known?

you can pickup bananas when you land on them and z-catch it
also you can z-drop during when you use your popgun

im just wondering =S

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Dribbling does 8 damage. If you didn't know, that's a lot of a banana.
I dribble a lot, i mean...a lot. My favorite position is when I'm right next to someone, a lot of people jump out of shield and throw the banana down. I prefer to dribble instead, a lot of the time when the opponent sees you move, they will sidestep, just charge an FSmash, when the side step animation ends, they'll slip on the banana and your FSmash is open to ****.

Have fun with this.
Your opponent catches on to this fast, if it even works once; play an Olimar player and you'll break yourself of this habit real quick (you never want to be that close to an Olimar unless he's already tripped). This is a risky move, as I have learned from experience. I used to use this all the time before I learned it was a bad idea :(

yea its known. that discovery lead to the single naner lock
DFEAR you have the devil's post! :O

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Ok, I was doing this against IxxI - and I'm afraid it'll happen to me.

You throw banana at opponent > opponent shields > OoS jump > Z catch

It's a really effective way to grab the bananas, and it can completely change the momentum of the match if the opponent knows how to use bananas.

Any advice as to try and prevent this from happening? (Throw closer and catch the banana yourself perhaps?)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Ok, I was doing this against IxxI - and I'm afraid it'll happen to me.

You throw banana at opponent > opponent shields > OoS jump > Z catch

It's a really effective way to grab the bananas, and it can completely change the momentum of the match if the opponent knows how to use bananas.

Any advice as to try and prevent this from happening? (Throw closer and catch the banana yourself perhaps?)
That's called "Shield Bouncing"; ADHD posted it a while back. If you're close enough, you can full hop and Z-Catch the banana before they do (then throw the banana straight down to shield pressure or trip if they drop their shield), but if they're far away, your best bet would be to Shield Bounce the banana back into your possession or to Barrel Cancel it, since they have it now. Shield Bouncing is one of the best ways to get a banana into your control as any character (including Diddy, of course).

Question: If you Weak Glide Toss, couldn't you get to your opponent even faster, such that it'd be easier to Shield Bounce them instead of them getting your banana?

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
i thought he said he wanted to keep it secret, yet everyone talks about it.. ASDF <_>?

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
so I'm having some trouble keeping bananas away from my opponent and speeding up my overall game play with diddy. when i watch myself play i feel slower than let's say other diddy mains, and my friends that i played with have already learned how to hold their own against bananas.

any advice?
my bad if any of this has been asked before >_<

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
so I'm having some trouble keeping bananas away from my opponent and speeding up my overall game play with diddy. when i watch myself play i feel slower than let's say other diddy mains, and my friends that i played with have already learned how to hold their own against bananas.

any advice?
Can you be more specific?
I mean, I know what you're trying to tell us, but with Diddy, it really does depend on who you're going against.
For generic advice, normally what I like to do is always throw one at them, but keep the other in my hand. After the first one is thrown I run at them getting ready to either throw the second or dodge the first one they're about to throw back.

white peachy

Smash Ace

any advice?
Mixup how you spawn your bananas and control them once they're out. For example, with just one nanner you can jump downB-->flip kick, jump downB-->second jump z-catch, jump downB-->reverse peanut, or just jump downB-->downB. If you mix up enough you should be able to retain your new bananas more easily. Also be cognizent of the angle that a banana flies off of both your sheild and your opponents. Work on instant-throwing and z-catching, as they will help tighten your control after the nanas have been out. And most importantly...just keep practicing, you'll learn a lot about angles and throwing speeds over time.:)

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
Can you be more specific?
I mean, I know what you're trying to tell us, but with Diddy, it really does depend on who you're going against.
For generic advice, normally what I like to do is always throw one at them, but keep the other in my hand. After the first one is thrown I run at them getting ready to either throw the second or dodge the first one they're about to throw back.

i play against my friend's metaknight and a kirby and a wario

i just have trouble spawning them in the heat of battle when they expire from the ground

let's say im being cornered and i have no bananas
what would i do n the situation?

Mixup how you spawn your bananas and control them once they're out. For example, with just one nanner you can jump downB-->flip kick, jump downB-->second jump z-catch, jump downB-->reverse peanut, or just jump downB-->downB. If you mix up enough you should be able to retain your new bananas more easily. Also be cognizent of the angle that a banana flies off of both your sheild and your opponents. Work on instant-throwing and z-catching, as they will help tighten your control after the nanas have been out. And most importantly...just keep practicing, you'll learn a lot about angles and throwing speeds over time.:)
thanks alot i will try thiss:chuckle:

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
What are some good ways of stalling your opponent when you don't have any bananas out? Should you attack, or just try to get more out?

Player-1

Smash Legend
What are some good ways of stalling your opponent when you don't have any bananas out? Should you attack, or just try to get more out?
Look for a grab opening and then throw then just pull out some bananas. Diddy is also pretty fast so against slower characters you can run away and just pull some out.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else do this besides me?

As soon as you start a match on bf, monkey flip kick ----> uair ----> 1-3 u-tilts -----> tech chase usmash -----> banana pluck.

i ALWAYS do this..it works about 75% of the time since most people for some reason start the match by going under their platform =S.

Also i never see anyone squeeze in a uair after a monkeyflip kick...it comes out fast, helps when juggling at times =S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom