• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tides

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoichx
Honestly I think I'm most excited over Chorus Men out of everybody on this list. There just so adorable! :grin:
Can't wait to see their move-set if they're announced.

Also DLC sounds sweet. Hopefully we could get any characters who are cut as DLC options.

Only thing I don't really like is the fact Lucas might be cut. :(

Overall I'm okay with this leak, but I do still hope we get more newcomers. :)

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
So I heard tomorrow Twitch has a Smash Bros thing planned at 5:10pm EST, can anyone confirm this? Maybe we aren't done with the reveals yet
There's streaming from the Treehouse for the next 2 days so somethings bound to show up. Atleast I hope, they can't play Splatoon for the entire thing, can they?

D

Deleted member

I kind of wish this leak never surfaced. I felt incredibly underwhelmed with the newcomers presented.

"Ah, Miis, knew it!"
"Ah, Palutena, not who i was expecting right now, but I'll take it"
"Where's Pac-Man, oop, here he is, right on time!"

I mean not to be a Debby-Downer but I hope I'm not the only one like this? Maybe that's the price you pay when you speculate Smash.
I kinda felt a bit sad knowing that in hindsight that these characters were coming as well.
However, they still somehow managed to surprise me. Especially Pac-Man, but that's probably only because he was kind of an out of the blue reveal.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I give up. Fight's just not worth it anymore.

You guys win. Good game.

Go Gematsu Leak. Yay.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A lot of these comments are bordering on flaming/trolling (several are also off-topic BTW). Please don't turn this thread into something along the lines of: "shun the non-believers."

This potential leak is still active so please show respect towards both those who believe it to be true and those who remain skeptical.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I kind of wish this leak never surfaced. I felt incredibly underwhelmed with the newcomers presented.

"Ah, Miis, knew it!"

I mean not to be a Debby-Downer but I hope I'm not the only one like this? Maybe that's the price you pay when you speculate Smash.
Same here originally, but once it sinks in a little bit, you realize you're getting some pretty unique/nifty characters.

As far as those saying "at least we may get G&W still," that unphases me. I fully expect original characters to come back, and will be extremely disappointed if any of the super originals are gone. Lucas or Wolf I can live with (sorry), but the originals need not go.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

"Ah, Miis, knew it!"

I'm actually happy it did. I can't imagine anything worse than pulling up the final roster on some forum before release and finding nothing but those characters there. This is a way of tearing the bandage off early.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
I look forward to playing the Chorus Men.

PRAISE BASED SAL ROMANO.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
Is this post for real? lol (not trying to be mean just thought you were going to fight until the very end)
Honestly I'm going to get flamed and called an idiot for this but even though I'm pretty sure Sal's leak is right now I still have my doubts. I'm a ready to admit I'm wrong, but for that, Chorus Men will have to be confirmed.

I did not believe in this leak at all before this E3, but I was pretty sure Palutena and Pac-Man were going to be in.

Now, bring on the hate but I'm just going to say it:

They're the safe guesses we were talking about, nothing has changed

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Same here originally, but once it sinks in a little bit, you realize you're getting some pretty unique/nifty characters.

As far as those saying "at least we may get G&W still," that unphases me. I fully expect original characters to come back, and will be extremely disappointed if any of the super originals are gone. Lucas or Wolf I can live with (sorry), but the originals need not go.
Uh, good for you I guess. I just saying it was interesting to see how it was a brief history when the two came out. Seriously, everyone has to make an argument for everything.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'm actually happy it did. I can't imagine anything worse than pulling up the final roster on some forum before release and finding nothing but those characters there. This is a way of tearing the bandage off early.
Very true I guess, I guess I'm speaking in more of a fan state then in an actual speculator state. But hey I suppose your right.

NOW I know we're all caught up in hype and stuff, but can one unbiased member go over all of our facts and materials and give the many MANY users walking to a summary of the Sal leak? I know there's a OP but this is current and people are coming here. Is the leak sealed for true? What cracks still need to be filled? Is there a chance at it being false? I should also note I didn't believe it until today (because I'm a skeptic) so I'm dropping pride for a sec to analyse this.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Is this post for real? lol (not trying to be mean just thought you were going to fight until the very end)
Well, I thought about it for a while. First real, undeniable piece of evidence shows up right from the horse's mouth and pretty much gets completely ignored. So I decided, y'know, it's just really not worth it anymore. Not worth the trouble, not worth the hassle, not worth people calling me delusional and desperate because I have a differing opinion and I'm seeing things they refuse to.

Since it's just a leak, it's not really worth getting worked up over. Accurate or not, at the end of the day, it's not worth it to bother.

I guess it was my moment of zen. An epiphany, if you will.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I just made it back from E3. Did Sal add more to the leak? I keep seeing little bits here and there but not the whole thing.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Very true I guess, I guess I'm speaking in more of a fan state then in an actual speculator state. But hey I suppose your right.

NOW I know we're all caught up in hype and stuff, but can one unbiased member go over all of our facts and materials and give the many MANY users walking to a summary of the Sal leak? I know there's a OP but this is current and people are coming here. Is the leak sealed for true? What cracks still need to be filled? Is there a chance at it being false? I should also note I didn't believe it until today (because I'm a skeptic) so I'm dropping pride for a sec to analyse this.
So to recap

*On June 10th, 2013, Sal Romano was tipped by email about Mega Man, Animal Crossing Guy, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man.
*On April 8th, 2014 (approximately 4 hours before the Smash Direct) new info was made to Sal by the same person containing five characters: Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, Chorus Men and a Pokémon from X & Y
*Then on June 10th, 2014 fourty minutes before the Digital Event (Sal actually received the email the night before) we got this bit of info (paraphrased by Sal):
''Basically, I was told that:
- Last E3 before game's launch (obviously)
- Participating characters: Pac-Man, Mii Fighter, Goddess Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (none of these are new, obv, so I take he means these are the participating characters for E3?)
- There has been internal debate about keeping Lucas versus Ness, apparently Lucas is likely to get the cut
- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy''

This would mean that Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Kids are the ones remaining to be revealed for this to be fully confirmed.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Pretty much the only hope is for the leak to not cover characters who aren't widely revealed (as in, the information is from the presentations and not the game itself).

Otherwise, it's time for another "35-Roster-Sit-in-the-Corner-and-Cry-Fest".

Dairz

Smash Ace
So to recap

*On June 10th, 2013, Sal Romano was tipped by email about Mega Man, Animal Crossing Guy, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man.
*Gematsu then posted another leak on April 8th, 2014 (approximately 4 hours before the Smash Direct) by the same person containing five characters; Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, Chorus Men and a Pokémon from X & Y
*Then today roughly 40 minutes before the Digital Event we got this bit of info (paraphrased by Sal):
''Basically, I was told that:
- Last E3 before game's launch (obviously)
- Participating characters: Pac-Man, Mii Fighter, Goddess Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (none of these are new, obv, so I take he means these are the participating characters for E3?)
- There has been internal debate about keeping Lucas versus Ness, apparently Lucas is likely to get the cut
- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy''

That would mean that Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Kids are the ones remaining to be revealed for this to be fully confirmed.
Ah, so does that mean the remaining three are to appear at E3..? Would it mean anything if they weren't shown?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Pretty much the only hope is for the leak to not cover characters who aren't widely revealed (as in, the information is from the presentations and not the game itself).

Otherwise, it's time for another "35-Roster-Sit-in-the-Corner-and-Cry-Fest".
The leaker didn't make any mention of Rosalina. He quite possibly could have missed others.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to post my thoughts from another thread I posted in... note that I was pretty neutral on this leak until now. I now believe it's real.

What I posted:

Turns out that the roster was decided before the game was even in development (including Greninja, which was only basic concept art at the time since X and Y were barely starting up.)

Learning that they were working with Greninja when he was just concept art makes me believe the Sal leak even more, actually. Got to wonder if Greninja already had a name, or if Sal's leaker had gotten the information before a Pokemon was chosen or if they even had names.

My next soon-to-be-published novel is almost done being written... and I still haven't come up with a name for it yet. I hate coming up with names sometimes. Also, the concept art could explain why it wasn't more descriptive. Concept art can change appearance by quite a bit, by the time they reach the final product. (Frog-like Ninja. Who knows what the original concept art was like.)

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
It is ironic: The original 7 characters leaked for before E3 2013 are revealed @ E3 all except for Little Mac. 3 @ 2013. 3 @ 2014. I've believed in this leak since the day they got 3 right. Even more when Little Mac and Greninja were announced.

Truly exciting and leaves me wondering if there are a newcomer or two that the insider doesn't know or are witholding information. Rosalina so far is the only announced newcomer that wasn't part of any leaks.

Greninja... That's a given.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
The leaker didn't make any mention of Rosalina. He quite possibly could have missed others.
True, but Rosalina popped up before the second round of leaks.

Honestly still not sure about this whole thing but it's amazing to see that the leak has survived. And it's not really that hard to see why.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to post my thoughts from another thread I posted in... note that I was pretty neutral on this leak until now. I now believe it's real.

What I posted:

Turns out that the roster was decided before the game was even in development (including Greninja, which was only basic concept art at the time since X and Y were barely starting up.)

Learning that they were working with Greninja when he was just concept art makes me believe the Sal leak even more, actually. Got to wonder if Greninja already had a name, or if Sal's leaker had gotten the information before a Pokemon was chosen or if they even had names.

My next soon-to-be-published novel is almost done being written... and I still haven't come up with a name for it yet. I hate coming up with names sometimes. Also, the concept art could explain why it wasn't more descriptive. Concept art can change appearance by quite a bit, by the time they reach the final product. (Frog-like Ninja. Who knows what the original concept art was like.)
Exactly what I was saying man before E3 about the Sal leak, Glad to see I was correct. I knew all along the facts pointed to that :D Time to circle jerk!

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Ah, so does that mean the remaining three are to appear at E3..? Would it mean anything if they weren't shown?
Sal's leaker said today 'participating characters' so yes. If they don't, well who knows, there are people who are going to support and deny the leak anyway. That would probably mean another 50 pages of this back and forth til October :dizzy:

Last edited:

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping all the characters from this leak get revealed within the next few days. That will leave a lot of room for heavy-hitting newcomers between now to October and post-release.

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
So, I guess I really can't deny this leak anymore.

It just really bugs me about Lucas getting cut. And the fact that it appears that the information was given during the development stages, it seems even more disrespectful to the character. The team knew they were going to cut one of the Mother Boys from. Even though Sakurai stated he didn't want to cut anyone, one of them was going to be gone no matter what. It doesn't even appear to be a time constraint thing. If the Mother series could have two characters in the last game, there is no reason it can't have two characters in this one. (Especially with the re-emergence of Earthbound on the Wii U).

If there only four cuts (Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake, and Lucas) Lucas stands out. Snake was a 3rd party guest, and Ivy + Squirt (while fun to use and original characters) were part of a three character concept that is not being brought back in this game. If there had to be cuts, the first three, (although still disappointing) would make sense. I know I am speculating a lot, but I'm kind of ticked.

And then the jab at Mother 3 fans during the digital event didn't heal the wounds either.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Eh, Brawl only had 6 unlockable newcomers. Chrom, Shulk, Chorus Men and the announced 3rd party's would make the same. I'm holding out hope for a few surprises still.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, I guess I really can't deny this leak anymore.

It just really bugs me about Lucas getting cut. And the fact that it appears that the information was given during the development stages, it seems even more disrespectful to the character. The team knew they were going to cut one of the Mother Boys from. Even though Sakurai stated he didn't want to cut anyone, one of them was going to be gone no matter what. It doesn't even appear to be a time constraint thing. If the Mother series could have two characters in the last game, there is no reason it can't have two characters in this one. (Especially with the re-emergence of Earthbound on the Wii U).

If there only four cuts (Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake, and Lucas) Lucas stands out. Snake was a 3rd party guest, and Ivy + Squirt (while fun to use and original characters) were part of a three character concept that is not being brought back in this game. If there had to be cuts, the first three, (although still disappointing) would make sense. I know I am speculating a lot, but I'm kind of ticked.

And then the jab at Mother 3 fans during the digital event didn't heal the wounds either.
He didn't say Lucas "will" get cut, he said Ness or Lucas might leave. Both could stay too.

Both are actually in danger, though.

TheLightningGamer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-7316-4338
Wow! I just went into My Subscriptions on YouTube, and saw a Pac-Man trailer under GameXplain, and I was like, "Did I miss something?"

My reaction:

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
He didn't say Lucas "will" get cut, he said Ness or Lucas might leave. Both could stay too.

Both are actually in danger, though.
It did say Lucas was likely to get cut. Put in the fact that we have nothing to show for in the game from the Mother franchise, except two returning items, things aren't looking great. I said during the direct that both Mother Boys probably wouldn't be unlockable. So one should have shown up by now. Again, I know I am doing a lot of speculating, but this just looks like the cast.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It did say Lucas was likely to get cut. Put in the fact that we have nothing to show for in the game from the Mother franchise, except two returning items, things aren't looking great. I said during the direct that both Mother Boys probably wouldn't be unlockable. So one should have shown up by now. Again, I know I am doing a lot of speculating, but this just looks like the cast.
Perhaps I misread your message then. Lucas isn't a guarantee cut. I though that's what you meant.

I don't want him gone either, but we'll have to see. DLC is likely for him, at least? Might be free. >_>

Shroob

Sup?
As one of the biggest Lucas fans, I'm going to be very bummed if he's not back, but, you have to think about the possibilities of DLC.

D

Deleted member

Man, y'know, here I admit I'm wrong not even an hour ago, and when Gematsu Leakers wind up being wrong they don't admit it. I can't say I'm particularly surprised, seeing as I said that was going to happen.
....What exactly are we wrong about? Oh, that Greninja was actually decided upon prior to X/Y's release (which I did mention) instead of the popularity from post-X/Y being the reason he was included?
Big effing deal.
It doesn't change the fact that Sakurai (or rather, the translator) confirmed that Geninja wasn't initially decided upon, the main point we've been making about the "Pokémon from X/Y" thing being a possible placeholder.

EDIT: To further elaborate: Game Freak has several internal development teams. They all work on different games. This way, they can have a constant stream of games being released. They admitted quite some time ago that they start the next Pokemon game usually about half-way through the development of the current Pokemon game. Which means they've been drawing up concept art since mid-way through the launch of Black 2/White 2.

Sorry, guys, it seems like legitimate evidence against the leak finally DID crop up.

So Greninja's concept art's been floating around EVEN LONGER! Since as early as 2011. Man.
So....where's the proof that Greninja's design existed since 2011? All you are able to prove is that X/Y were in development stages prior to Black/White 2's release. Whoop de freakin' doo.
Also, where's the proof that the development team of Smash was made aware of the design drafts for Greninja immediately after they were made?

Aside from that.....even if Greninja's concept art existed back in 2011...(which may not even be reflective of the final outcome, or need I remind you of "Latiken"?)

.....how does it discredit the leak?

What a great day to be a Smash fan.
Any day can be a great day if you go through it blissfully in denial.
I mean really, when it's all said and done, you're just desperately looking for an excuse as to why the leak is fake.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
"Likely to get cut" still means that he's only making a prediction. I don't think Lucas mains need to worry just yet.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I read the leak from someone on a different thread since everyone is so hesitant to post links.

Anyway, I'm on board that this leak is real now. However a few things to note.

Should we be expecting Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Men to be announce tomorrow? That seems crazy, but what else could "Participating" characters mean?

Also I'm happy with post launch DLC. Hopefully that means we will get characters that we won't be able to get at launch. Which is everyone that I wish would be in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom