• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
"All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not wait for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings."

-Sakurai, Q&A

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
We've just received some more subtle confirmation of this leak. Apparently early in development they had a slot reserved for a Pokemon from X and Y, but didn't know which one to add yet.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I love the subtle reference to Gematsu.

This is real guys. Chorus Men, Chrom and Shulk are coming.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not wait for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings."

-Sakurai, Q&A
I told people the outdated information was a realistic scenario. :smirk:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

-Sakurai, Q&A

Interested to see how Gematsu Leakers rationalize this enormous blowout.

EDIT: This pretty much says "We knew we were putting Greninja in long before X and Y. Greninja being popular was entirely a coincidence."

ggs

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: when was Greninja chosen to be added?

8:03
Neal Ronaghan:
Q: When did they decide to include Greninja?

"Pokémon from X & Y"

:colorful:
We've just received some more subtle confirmation of this leak. Apparently early in development they had a slot reserved for a Pokemon from X and Y, but didn't know which one to add yet.
You're still missing something, though.

"We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings."

WELL BEFORE X/Y came out.

I'm still not sure how the hell this guy was able to get this info and leak it, but why did he not know Greninja by the Smash Direct? This is still something that confuses me...

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Q: When did they decide to include Greninja?

A: All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not way for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings.

From the NintendoWorldReport liveblogging stream (Yes, I realize everybody is posting it above me)

Sakurai basically just confirmed Sal's Leak and just put aside any doubt that Sal's source had access to the internal roster document because people wanted to think that "Pokemon from X/Y" made it bogus.

Shroob

Sup?
Regardless, the leaker is only missing three characters at this point: Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Kids.

The first leak is 100% true now, if only because everything came to be.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

EDIT: This pretty much says "We knew we were putting Greninja in long before X and Y. Greninja being popular was entirely a coincidence."

ggs
Well, you can always chalk it up to the leaker deliberately being cryptic. Remember, Sal's only the middleman.

Aaronsxedge

Smash Rookie
Pac-Man is in... Mii is in... So that means Chrom will be in the game. Great, one more blue-haired sword user FE rep.
Gematsu leak's most likely confirmed by this. I'm a bit dubious that the roster is still up in the air with 3 months to go, but even if the source isn't right about that, he's gotten enough characters correct to be considered credible.

I don't necessarily expect Chrom or Chorus Men before the end of E3, as the source typically isn't spot-on with the timing, but they seem very likely to appear on the final roster.

Can't believe that they showed the trailer behind closed doors instead of at the end of the tournament.[/quot
Unless the leaker confused Ike with chrom.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
So much crow to be eaten. So much crow. Would it be petty to quote many a crazy post swearing up and down that Sal was lying/is a liar. God who was that. Smash Brother? SmashChu? Super awkward.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So much crow to be eaten. So much crow. Would it be petty to quote many a crazy post swearing up and down that Sal was lying/is a liar. God who was that. Smash Brother? SmashChu? Super awkward.
Yes.

Yes it would.

Eh, if he comes in and causes trouble, we can report him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ggs
If you're still trying to argue against the leak being real....I feel legitimately sorry for you.

As for how to "rationalize" this, what's there to rationalize? This shows that while Greninja was in fact decided upon before X/Y came out, there was still a placeholder slot prior to the decision.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Surprise character reveal at the end is possible... but very unlikely, since we already got Pac-Man.
I cannot believe that they saved trailers for a closed-door Q&A instead of the end of the tournament. What the hell were they thinking?

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
After today I completely believe Sal's leak. It sounds like he was given some really early info.

IMO it's just a matter of how relevant the info is. I think Shulk is guaranteed, but I'm iffy on Chrom and Chorus Men. Sakurai and co could have had Chrom as an Ike-replacement and later decided to just bring Ike back instead, while Chorus Men might have just been too complicated to implement (the theory was 3 characters right? If they were having issues with Ice Climbers for being two characters then they're definitely going to have issues with Chorus Men being 3 characters).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Can somebody answer if the Retro Studios game was specified to be a Wii U title?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No final reveal, it seems.

If you're still trying to argue against the leak being real....I feel legitimately sorry for you.

As for how to "rationalize" this, what's there to rationalize? This shows that while Greninja was in fact decided upon before X/Y came out, there was still a placeholder slot prior to the decision.
Its just strange how the second leak seemed to imply Pac-Man and Mii were still coming, but didn't know the Pokemon from X/Y was Greninja was he was already decided about 8 months prior. That's really odd I think...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Damn shame. We probably won't get any more character reveals during E3, either, since Sakurai is leaving tomorrow.

3 characters revealed isn't bad, but I was hoping for more. Guess the postponed launch date of 3DS means they're holding a few more in reserve.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Well, you can always chalk it up to the leaker deliberately being cryptic. Remember, Sal's only the middleman.
Sakurai basically just confirmed Sal's Leak and just put aside any doubt that Sal's source had access to the internal roster document because people wanted to think that "Pokemon from X/Y" made it bogus.
I told people the outdated information was a realistic scenario. :smirk:
Man, y'know, here I admit I'm wrong not even an hour ago, and when Gematsu Leakers wind up being wrong they don't admit it. I can't say I'm particularly surprised, seeing as I said that was going to happen.

EDIT: To further elaborate: Game Freak has several internal development teams. They all work on different games. This way, they can have a constant stream of games being released. They admitted quite some time ago that they start the next Pokemon game usually about half-way through the development of the current Pokemon game. Which means they've been drawing up concept art since mid-way through the launch of Black 2/White 2.

Sorry, guys, it seems like legitimate evidence against the leak finally DID crop up.

Since Gen 4, Gamefreak has been dividing their staff when two Pokemon games are in development at once, right after Diamond and Pearl came out Black and White went into development, yet Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver were still good, likewise it was stated by Gamefreak that X and Y was in development since Black and White was released, yet Black 2 and White 2 were also still good.
So Greninja's concept art's been floating around EVEN LONGER! Since as early as 2011. Man.

What a great day to be a Smash fan.

Last edited:

Sebagomez

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai thanks us for coming and he is out. show over. nothing else revealed tonight... but wait, he turns around and said: "Marshal joins the battle ;)"

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Man, I argued in favor of skepticism of this leak for a long time. It's looking pretty legit at the moment. Accept it.

Shroob

Sup?
Damn shame. We probably won't get any more character reveals during E3, either, since Sakurai is leaving tomorrow.

3 characters revealed isn't bad, but I was hoping for more. Guess the postponed launch date of 3DS means they're holding a few more in reserve.
Mr.Game and Watch was apparently there too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You know whats ironic -- I was just about to quote your old posts... but yeah I guess you're right.
Also keep in mind while I doubted the leak at first, I never said I couldn't believe it. I would still love if it was fake, but eh, can't really say all 3 parts are. One is confirmed real. Two parts to go. I might as well call "yeah, they're real", but I shouldn't assume it's definitely the case. Just beyond likely, respectively.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I cannot believe that they saved trailers for a closed-door Q&A instead of the end of the tournament. What the hell were they thinking?
I'm really stunned. I was expecting to see him during the end of the Invitational and hear the crowd roar as Game & Watch and Falcon got revealed alongside him. Hugely missed opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom