• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This would be pretty terrible as it'd indicate that Sakurai doesn't view K. Rool as character material, but boss material instead, in which case I'd begin to question his views on the character roster more than I already do. It'd also lop K. Rool in the unfortunate position of not being possible for DLC, it'd make him a lame buff pinata, and it'd give people who aren't DKC fans a skewed view of him, especially in regards to size. There are many DKC bosses they should choose as a stage boss instead of K. Rool, he doesn't fit very well into that role at all.

Mewtwo is not worth that.
Tiki Tong would be better "stage boss" material, K. Rool has tons to work with as a playable character while Tiki Tong is just a floating head with hands. If K. Rool isn't playable, I'd rather him be an Assist Trophy than a stage boss.

D

Deleted member

I hope that's false because Falco? Really? We still haven't seen Icies or Wario (and to a lesser extent, a Mother character or Captain Falcon) and you're giving us Falco? I shouldn't complain, but it would just bother me seeing Falco before Wario.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I hope that's false because Falco? Really? We still haven't seen Icies or Wario (and to a lesser extent, a Mother character or Captain Falcon) and you're giving us Falco? I shouldn't complain, but it would just bother me seeing Falco before Wario.
We have two Fire Emblem characters and two Kid Icarus characters before Ness, Captain Falcon, Wario, or Ice Climbers.

I wouldn't really be surprised.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I haven't been all that confident about Ridley and K. Rool for awhile now just because of how nearly all the newcomers for this game have been so far. Megaman's the only leftover from the Brawl days that's gotten the hallowed promotion to playable so I don't think Sakurai's taking the older requests as seriously as the new ones. Little Mac's fanbase didn't catch on until after Brawl, Villager, Rosalina, and Greninja had tiny fanbases, WFT and Chorusmen are curve balls, Pac-Man and Mii have been controversial for a long time now, Palutena wasn't that big until earlier this year, and Shulk and Chrom have fanbases that are barely two years old. Maybe he's trying to avoid pigeonholing himself for future Smash installments since Brawl put such a big dent in a lot of people's wishlists but, either way, I'm not holding out too much faith for a good number of the characters who've made peoples' wishlists since the Melee days.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We have two Fire Emblem characters and two Kid Icarus characters before Ness, Captain Falcon, Wario, or Ice Climbers.

At least Palutena has an excuse with being a newcomer. I don't expect Falcon or Ness before release, as I think they will be hidden again. (Only Mother character I can see being starter is Lucas, and his problem is that he's Lucas) It would just bother me, because Wario is obviously in the game, and he's probably not a hidden character, and he represents his own series, and we've seen TWO assist trophies from his series yet, with no sign of Wario. So far, all Star Fox content has been returning, and it would just be extremely weird to see Falco before someone as big as Wario. Ice Climbers aren't as big an issue as they are retro. In fact, I bet they will be announced closer to release, or not announced at all, but be starter.

I mean I'll welcome him back with open arms, and join the Falco mains in celebrating, but I dunno, I think it would be really bizarre to see Falco before Wario. It might just be me.

Last edited by a moderator:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
This would be pretty terrible as it'd indicate that Sakurai doesn't view K. Rool as character material, but boss material instead, in which case I'd begin to question his views on the character roster more than I already do. It'd also lop K. Rool in the unfortunate position of not being possible for DLC, it'd make him a lame buff pinata, and it'd give people who aren't DKC fans a skewed view of him, especially in regards to size. There are many DKC bosses they should choose as a stage boss instead of K. Rool, he doesn't fit very well into that role at all.

Mewtwo is not worth that.
K. Rool was a boss in DK and Sakurai sees him as one, shocker isn't it :rolleyes:
I hope that leak is true, it would be nice to 'trade' Mewtwo for Lucas.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Especially as Star Fox is more successful and has more Smash history than both FE and KI.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
K. Rool was a boss in DK and Sakurai sees him as one, shocker isn't it :rolleyes:
I hope that leak is true, it would be nice to 'trade' Mewtwo for Lucas.
By that logic Ganondorf, Bowser, Dedede, Meta Knight, Wolf, Wario, Donkey Kong and Palutena should never have been playable. Arguably Mewtwo should never have been playable either then.

Point is that K. Rool would be super awkward as a Smash boss due to how incredibly immobile they always are. K. Rool's proportions doesn't really translate that well into it either. If they wanted a DKC newcomer they could choose many that would have been better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just curious, is there anything pointing to this thing being legitimate? Or are we just gonna have to wait till next Friday?

chronomantic

Smash Ace
By that logic Ganondorf, Bowser, Dedede, Meta Knight, Wolf, Wario, Donkey Kong and Palutena should never have been playable.

Point is that K. Rool would be super awkward as a Smash boss due to how incredibly immobile they always are. K. Rool's proportions doesn't really translate that well into it either. If they wanted a DKC newcomer they could choose many that would have been better.
Not all of your examples apply and my point was simply that it wouldn't be surprising if K.Rool were a boss in Smash because that's what he is.

kylexv

Smash Master

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Just curious, is there anything pointing to this thing being legitimate? Or are we just gonna have to wait till next Friday?
Forget King K Rool for 5 seconds,(I don't even want this ugly dude) This is where I'm still at. @_@

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nope. We're all just bored. I kind of had a feeling that this was going to be a stally month given how April played out after the Direct but I find it more irksome this month. We now have a whopping 7 characters who are all but confirmed (:falcon::ganondorf::popo::metaknight::gw::ness2::wario:) thanks to stuff shown off in the past two months and I think a lot of us are just ready for some of the more obvious stuff to get knocked out already.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
It would be such a disappointing and "dumb" move if the newcomers we already saw AND the veterans we already know of are secret locked characters in the game. I really hope that the revealed fighters so far are all starters. Seems likely.

D

Deleted member

Nope. We're all just bored. I kind of had a feeling that this was going to be a stally month given how April played out after the Direct but I find it more irksome this month. We now have a whopping 7 characters who are all but confirmed (:falcon::ganondorf::popo::metaknight::gw::ness2::wario:) thanks to stuff shown off in the past two months and I think a lot of us are just ready for some of the more obvious stuff to get knocked out already.
I just wanna see Icies, Wario, Meta Knight, and maybe maybe Lucas soon, because out of all the remaining vets, they are the most likely to be starter. Meta Knight could've been bumped to hidden though I dunno.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Especially as Star Fox is more successful and has more Smash history than both FE and KI.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It would be such a disappointing and "dumb" move if the newcomers we already saw AND the veterans we already know of are secret locked characters in the game. I really hope that the revealed fighters so far are all starters. Seems likely.
This is one thing I don't like about how the roster is shaping up so far. Brawl had 12 newcomers in the starting roster alone, leaving 6 as unlockables with Snake and Sonic revealed beforehand, Lucario being accidentally leaked, Toon Link being a rehashed Young Link, and Wolf being a semiclone, leaving ROB (who just about everyone hated at the time) as the only genuinely new character who wasn't spoiled. With this game, all the newcomers (aside from the third party ones of course) shown so far are once again heavily implied to be available from the get-go and it looks like they're making the same mistake that Brawl did.

I think one thing that killed a lot of hype when Brawl was revealed was how most of the unlockable characters were old characters. With Melee, only two were old characters. In Brawl, this number ballooned to eight. With this game, it's heavily implied by Gematsu that it's going to be at least nine, with Toon Link, Luigi, and Lucario's placement still being questionable. That means that a vast majority of the unlockable characters won't be a surprise at all. It's a trivial thing to gripe about but I really don't have much desire to re-unlock so many characters I knew were coming back since day one. I think part of my problem is how I figure that most of them won't be changed all the much from previous installments, especially those who've been around since the Melee days. I don't see Ganondorf, Falco, or Wolf getting the Bowser treatment, especially not after seeing Toon Link so it's hard to get excited for them.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is one thing I don't like about how the roster is shaping up so far. Brawl had 12 newcomers in the starting roster alone, leaving 6 as unlockables with Snake and Sonic revealed beforehand, Lucario being accidentally leaked, Toon Link being a rehashed Young Link, and Wolf being a semiclone, leaving ROB (who just about everyone hated at the time) as the only genuinely new character who wasn't spoiled. With this game, all the newcomers (aside from the third party ones of course) shown so far are once again heavily implied to be available from the get-go and it looks like they're making the same mistake that Brawl did.

I think one thing that killed a lot of hype when Brawl was revealed was how most of the unlockable characters were old characters. With Melee, only two were old characters. In Brawl, this number ballooned to eight. With this game, it's heavily implied by Gematsu that it's going to be at least nine, with Toon Link, Luigi, and Lucario's placement still being questionable. That means that a vast majority of the unlockable characters won't be a surprise at all. It's a trivial thing to gripe about but I really don't have much desire to re-unlock so many characters I knew were coming back since day one. I think part of my problem is how I figure that most of them won't be changed all the much from previous installments, especially those who've been around since the Melee days. I don't see Ganondorf, Falco, or Wolf getting the Bowser treatment, especially not after seeing Toon Link so it's hard to get excited for them.
I don't know. I think the fact that Toon Link is the only clone we've seen to date helps out. Ganondorf getting revealed before release would probably mean he has a revamped moveset, which he badly needs. If he's not revealed before release, my hype is going to plummet because it probably means Ganondorf isn't getting the revamp he desperately needs.

As far as Wolf, he doesn't need much to make him original, and no one really wants Falco to be more original.

D

Deleted member

So I just bought Xenoblade, and...
Sal Leak confirmed real. First Rhythm Heaven at Smashfest, now this. This cannot be a coincidence. :4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Sal Leak confirmed real. First Rhythm Heaven at Smashfest, now this. This cannot be a coincidence. :4pacman:
...SUPER out of place rhythm heaven.

Warning Shulk is least interesting character after first hour of the game., having a xenoblade rep in smash general would be cool, but literally every other character in this game is 1000x more interesting than him. Even worse he's forced into seeming like he's important to the plot almost at gary stu levels if it weren't for that being normal for anime/JRPG character development. x_X

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
...SUPER out of place rhythm heaven.

Warning Shulk is least interesting character after first hour of the game., having a xenoblade rep in smash general would be cool, but literally every other character in this game is 1000x more interesting than him. Even worse he's forced into seeming like he's important to the plot almost at gary stu levels if it weren't for that being normal for anime/JRPG character development. x_X
I like how people use the term Mary Sue (or any variation there of) to talk about any character that is central to the plot of a work of fiction and has any sort of special abilities.

Good job guys.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So Chrom left, eh?

I agree with your sentiment. Assuming Chrom, Shulk and the Chorus Men are all we have left in terms of newcomers, only two of them would be secret characters not shown pre-release. Remember that there will be one more Direct in August.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Sakurai already broke the rule of revealing secret characters plenty of times before, so Falco being revealed is an open possibility.
The only unlockable characters he revealed before release in the past games were the third parties, it's not a rule he has broken "plenty of times". There's really no basis for assuming he's openly revealing unlockables this time.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
So wait.....what you're saying is it's fine if Pokemon has more playable characters than Mario but if Pokemon has more space given to it on the character select screen that's a big no no?

I feel like your priorities are a bit crossed.
I feel like the developers' priorities are a bit crossed.
The only reason I'd consider this roster better than Melee's is because of the Brawl newcomers, I think that when looking at newcomer pools this will definitely be the worst if this is all there is to it.
You find all of these unique characters to be collectively less pleasing than the half new characters/half clones batch of newcomers in Melee? I understand that most of the new characters in Melee were very popular characters, but it is rather unfair to use that detail to argue that later rosters were nowhere near as good; of course they couldn't keep adding as many popular choices in later installments, they have a finite pool of characters to pull from.
only the Miis are any sort of clone (who are essentially customisable composite characters, so such a design is more sensible for them).
I'm not meaning to say you're wrong or anything, but I'm curious, what makes you consider Miis sort of clone-ish? From what I remember only like two or three of their 36 moves seemed all that reminiscent of other characters'.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
I like how people use the term Mary Sue (or any variation there of) to talk about any character that is central to the plot of a work of fiction and has any sort of special abilities.

Good job guys.
Obviously there's no wish fullfillment or self inserting.

But it's easier than saying generically written character whose uninteresting but every character says his name every 30 seconds in every cutscene and credits every positive action that happens IN the world to him.

When in reality it's- Major plot spoilers:
Fiora, a goddess posessing her, a god brainwashing him and everyone around him and people controlling him like a puppet doing all the work. But ohh nooo we're useless without shulk! anyway.

Awesome game, but seriously not because of shulk. Can't wait for the sequel that'll have nothing to do with him and glad he might be in smash but yeah, ehn. <_>

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I'm not meaning to say you're wrong or anything, but I'm curious, what makes you consider Miis sort of clone-ish? From what I remember only like two or three of their 36 moves seemed all that reminiscent of other characters'.
Not only specials count; the majority of the Miis' moves are blatantly taken from other characters. With that said, I approve of it, since they're pretty much a customisable composite character, and this would have significantly reduce the development drain they could have been.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Obviously there's no wish fullfillment or self inserting.

But it's easier than saying generically written character whose uninteresting but every character says his name every 30 seconds in every cutscene and credits every positive action that happens IN the world to him.

When in reality it's- Major plot spoilers:
Fiora, a goddess posessing her, a god brainwashing him and everyone around him and people controlling him like a puppet doing all the work. But ohh nooo we're useless without shulk! anyway.

Awesome game, but seriously not because of shulk. Can't wait for the sequel that'll have nothing to do with him and glad he might be in smash but yeah, ehn. <_>
He's really no more of a Gary Stu then Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker. He is a regular person that is thrust into accepting a destiny and power he didn't know he had. He's made to be normal so that the audience can relate to him, he doesn't start out as a soldier or a mage or anything more then a bookish kid. He also has his fair share or bad breaks, and the game goes out of it's way a few times to show that he CAN'T always fix everything.

He's not my favorite character or anything, but I'm kind of tired of people slapping that label on anyone that's, you know, a main character in a sci-fi or fantasy piece.

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
He's really no more of a Gary Stu then Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker. He is a regular person that is thrust into accepting a destiny and power he didn't know he had. He's made to be normal so that the audience can relate to him, he doesn't start out as a soldier or a mage or anything more then a bookish kid. He also has his fair share or bad breaks, and the game goes out of it's way a few times to show that he CAN'T always fix everything.

He's not my favorite character or anything, but I'm kind of tired of people slapping that label on anyone that's, you know, a main character in a sci-fi or fantasy piece.
Like I said, mary sue is just easier to say(and amusingly more insulting at the cost of how unintelligent it might sound to throw the word around but I don't care about things like that.) For a story that comes off as mature as this one, him being treated extra important like your typical shounen protagonist(and I LIKE Shounen.) kind of throws things off.

Er, more major plot ranting bull****:
Also this includes AFTER it's revealed that every move he's ever made was done because he was manipulated by plot twist villains and all the characters is and everyone, whom might I add are better written characters and are stronger/more fun to play as party member wise are all "oh no we're useless without shulk now that he's in a character development rut!" but then they think "wait maybe not, we can't rely on him!" Then they get their asses kicked instantly effortlessly like bleach side characters, then the game just tells you "nah you all suck without shulk" and he slides in and saves them all, even without his major plot weapon that they've been using the whole game to lampshade how he's TOTALLY not that great and invincible it's all just the sword! and all of a sudden nothing changes because sholkshulksholk-LIKE WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE REYN TIME

Sadly that's normal for JRPGs and I don't completely look down on the game for it, just saying I don't have much love for Shulk as a character.

It's also kind of annoying when they force you to use him on certain boss fights until you get certain gear later on but I digress.

A Fiora, Metalface or Dunban assist trophy would be nice as well.

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Shulk kinda confirmed ?
I can't post link so : Look IMDB Adam Howden.

It list Smash bros as a worked title...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Shulk kinda confirmed ?
I can't post link so : Look IMDB Adam Howden.

It list Smash bros as a worked title...
IMDB is user-edited. Don't take anything on it for granted, spam is added to entries ALL the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom