• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When he was saying Ness/Lucas cut, was he talking about both of them, or just one of them?
Might be cut, it wasn't guaranteed, but yeah, Lucas was in more trouble. If Lucas would be cut, it's essentially Melee again, where Ness beat out Lucas for the spot. History repeating itself isn't too odd. Jigglypuff beat out Mewtwo for the spot in 64 and Brawl, so...

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
I've believed the Gematsu leak since the very beginning and with Shulk's VO recently tweeting that he's working on several confidential unannounced products, I feel pretty confident that Shulk will be in Smash.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
Might be cut, it wasn't guaranteed, but yeah, Lucas was in more trouble. If Lucas would be cut, it's essentially Melee again, where Ness beat out Lucas for the spot. History repeating itself isn't too odd. Jigglypuff beat out Mewtwo for the spot in 64 and Brawl, so...

Lucas wasn't in melee because earthbound 64 never existed, delaying the game to later on the GBA. Jigglypuff, didn't neccesarily beat out Mewtwo, but with time constraints he couldn't make it, so I guess you could say she beat him out but not directly. Plus, I don't think we're going to have mewtwo in the new game because 5 mario characters and 6 pokemon characters wouldn't be right.(that's assuming jiggs is in the new game)

D

Deleted member

Why do Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon have to be equal? They never were equal, and the only time Mario and Pokemon were equal was Smash 64. Zelda and Mario were equal in Melee, but that changed in Brawl. We had 6 Pokemon in Brawl. I wouldn't count him out yet, but Jigglypuff is certain to get in first IMO.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
Why do Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon have to be equal? They never were equal, and the only time Mario and Pokemon were equal was Smash 64. Zelda and Mario were equal in Melee, but that changed in Brawl. We had 6 Pokemon in Brawl. I wouldn't count him out yet, but Jigglypuff is certain to get in first IMO.

I was speaking character slots. I mean having more pokemon than mario characters is dumb, since mario basically IS nintendo.

D

Deleted member 245254

The way he words it makes me feel like he knows he'll be able to come clean about it reasonably soon.

Of course even if smash is one of those games it may not be the main (most currently pressing) reason he tweeted that.
It's important to think about his other potential games.

Are the other alternatives as hush hush as the Smash development is? Most triple A titles tend to be pretty transparent in their development, and certainly it isn't common that VA roles are needed to be kept in downright secrecy.

The only reason he cannot tell us what games he voices is because one of those games has a character he's voicing that the developers do not want us to know about. Similarly, if we knew the games he acted in, we would be able to surmise information they don't want us to know yet.

What the bloody hell else could this be but Shulk in smash? No other game goes through such lengths to ensure the roster OR character cast is revealed on THEIR terms but Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I was speaking character slots. I mean having more pokemon than mario characters is dumb, since mario basically IS nintendo.
Well too bad, it happened in Brawl, unless you're like me and count DK, Yoshi, and Wario as subseries. If you're lenient, Mario has 8 characters already with Wario likely to return. I don't think a 6th Pokemon is entirely out of the question just yet. Plus, 6 generations of Pokemon, 6 Pokemon characters 4 of which represent GENWON, 6 Pokemon max in a team. Perfect.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
Well too bad, it happened in Brawl, unless you're like me and count DK, Yoshi, and Wario as subseries. If you're lenient, Mario has 8 characters already with Wario likely to return. I don't think a 6th Pokemon is entirely out of the question just yet. Plus, 6 generations of Pokemon, 6 Pokemon characters 4 of which represent GENWON, 6 Pokemon max in a team. Perfect.

uh, no it didn't. Like i said character slots. On a technical level, it had 6. but like i said. character slots.

Morbi

Scavenger
@BluePsychic already established why that notion is not only arbitrary, but fallacious. However, I would like to include that even operating under the presumption that Mario was intended to be more thoroughly represented, characters are not the only aspect of Smash. Albeit, they might be the most prominent, they are not the only aspect of the game. Therefore, Sakurai can satisfy the sentiment that Mario needs to be represented more than Pokemon through assist trophies, stages, items, etc.

D

Deleted member

uh, no it didn't. Like i said character slots. On a technical level, it had 6. but like i said. character slots.
CSS Boxes =/= Character Slots.

Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are all character that must be fully modeled and animated just like everything else. Brawl's roster is 39 characters, though there are only 35 boxes on the character select screen. So 6 Pokemon were modeled, animated, and programmed for Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger

Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are all character that must be fully modeled and animated just like everything else. Brawl's roster is 39 characters, though there are only 35 boxes on the character select screen. So 6 Pokemon were modeled, animated, and programmed for Brawl.
Again, piggy-backing off of this notion; even if we were to presume that characters were not to be counted, Pokemon Trainer was not the only character in the CSS box. This means that even if the slots argument was relevant, Smash had 38 characters according to slots. Pokemon had more aesthetic representation in Brawl, so based on precedent, that is likely to happen once more.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
@BluePsychic already established why that notion is not only arbitrary, but fallacious. However, I would like to include that even operating under the presumption that Mario was intended to be more thoroughly represented, characters are not the only aspect of Smash. Albeit, they might be the most prominent, they are not the only aspect of the game. Therefore, Sakurai can satisfy the sentiment that Mario needs to be represented more than Pokemon through assist trophies, stages, items, etc.

I wouldn't say so. Characters are in a league WAY above any other in importance (except maybe stages.) I'm only going off of MY opinions of what I think is going to happen.

I know that. I'm only saying I think that Pokemon Aren't going to have more select boxes than mario.

Again, piggy-backing off of this notion; even if we were to presume that characters were not to be counted, Pokemon Trainer was not the only character in the CSS box. This means that even if the slots argument was relevant, Smash had 38 characters according to slots. Pokemon had more aesthetic representation in Brawl, so based on precedent, that is likely to happen once more.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind there are Mario characters that don't have the mushroom kingdom logo. You can argue that Yoshi is "his own franchise" but seriously he totally counts as a Mario rep. Add in DK, Wario, and etc and Mario will always have the most reps in every smash game.

D

Deleted member

No, 38 is correct going off of the character select, as Zero Suit Samus is not on the character select in any form.

I don't think the character select is of utmost importance to the developers/Sakurai/the people who decide the roster. If they want to have 6 boxes for Pokemon, it will happen. As it currently stands, Mario has 5, and Pokemon has 4. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, though I think 6 Pokemon is a very real possibility. Both Mewtwo and Puff are pretty big but not too big, and I'm pretty sure both were on the minds of the team when the roster was being decided.

Keep in mind there are Mario characters that don't have the mushroom kingdom logo. You can argue that Yoshi is "his own franchise" but seriously he totally counts as a Mario rep. Add in DK, Wario, and etc and Mario will always have the most reps in every smash game.
This. I know some say that they don't count, but I certainly count them. I consider them as spinoffs, but are a part of the greater Mario universe. Yoshi's games feature Baby Mario, and the Final Boss of Yoshi's Island DS is Bowser. Wario only exists because of Mario. You turn that M upside down and you get a W. I've always counted them as part of Mario, which may play a big factor in why I support 6 Pokemon. W have 8 Mario character in Smash 4 at the moment, 9 when Wario is confirmed.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Still waiting for the Ridley leak

You mean the leak that shows off Ridley as a stage hazard? :troll:

I don't see any mods around so I'm just going to say that this thread is for discussing the Gematsu Leak.
Not for discussing who your favorite character is and why you want to see a leak with them in it.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
You mean the leak that shows off Ridley as a stage hazard? :troll:

I don't see any mods around so I'm just going to say that this thread is for discussing the Gematsu Leak.
Not for discussing who your favorite character is and why you want to see a leak with them in it.
Never said anything of the sort in my comment just merely stated I'm waiting for a Ridley Sal/gamastu leak

D

Deleted member

Is there any word on roster size? There are always a few characters that some people can't seem to be in agreement on, and roster size would help.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Is there any word on roster size? There are always a few characters that some people can't seem to be in agreement on, and roster size would help.
Only theory's and conjecture right now no definitive confirmation on a roster size

randomdude123

Smash Rookie
leak is legit.

we'll know the full roster by late august or early september. (since the 3ds version release date for japan is in september 13)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sal said a CHANCE of 4 cut from brawl plus the 11 he leaked and rosalina. that would come out to 47 unless a melee vet is in
I don't remember Sal himself saying that, just Rosalina X. There's thoughts they could be one in the same leak, but... where did Sal say this?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't remember Sal himself saying that, just Rosalina X. There's thoughts they could be one in the same leak, but... where did Sal say this?
He didn't. That's RosalinaX.

However 4 cuts is very likely. Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas. 12 newcomers, Mewtwo, yadda yadda yadda...

48 slots, 50 characters.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

However 4 cuts is very likely. Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas. 12 newcomers, Mewtwo, yadda yadda yadda...

48 slots, 50 characters.
Unless we can prove they're one in the same, I'm not assuming any cuts beyond maybe Lucas, since Sal didn't say any other cuts period. Regardless of the whole likely thing, I'm going to wait to find out.

Just like I'm not assuming a roster size since Sal said nothing about it.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice

48 slots, 50 characters.
Oh i got mixed up. sorry.

Unless we can prove they're one in the same, I'm not assuming any cuts beyond maybe Lucas, since Sal didn't say any other cuts period. Regardless of the whole likely thing, I'm going to wait to find out.

Just like I'm not assuming a roster size since Sal said nothing about it.

I'd say those are the most likely cuts though. Only thing is I don't agree with Mewtwo being in.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Only thing is I don't agree with Mewtwo being in.
Someone hold me back. :mad:

He fits in just fine with the leak. He's a veteran, not a newcomer.
Pokemon has had six characters in the past. Sakurai filled an open slot with Greninja, which probably would have been filled with Mewtwo if he wasn't in the game already. He is the most popular character worldwide and guess what?
Sakurai ignoring Mewtwo would be plain insensitive to Smash Bros fans.
Sound familiar?

Btw, I read everything you say in Courage's voice.

D

Deleted member

So basically, the best conclusion we can come to is the one we've been at, around 50 characters. Can't say I'm surprised, but I guess we really just have to wait and see. That is unless we get another leak.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
Someone hold me back. :mad:

He fits in just fine with the leak. He's a veteran, not a newcomer.
Pokemon has had six characters in the past. Sakurai filled an open slot with Greninja, which probably would have been filled with Mewtwo if he wasn't in the game already. He is the most popular character worldwide and guess what?
Sound familiar?

Btw, I read everything you say in Courage's voice.

Lol that last line. Guess what else is insensitive to fans? Not including Ridely. The way the Gematsu leak has worked, I doubt he's gonna be in. I'm not against Mewtwo, I just don't think he's gonna be in. Believe me, I think he deserves to be in, but probably won't be. same with Riddy.

So basically, the best conclusion we can come to is the one we've been at, around 50 characters. Can't say I'm surprised, but I guess we really just have to wait and see. That is unless we get another leak.

I doubt we will since he only leaks before big events (e3 2013 & smash direct) and we didn't get a character leak before e3 2014 so i think he's dry..

SwagzillaForilla

Smash Apprentice
I'll be a little upset if this is the final roster, and a 3rd Fire Emblem lord got in instead of a much-needed DK newcomer. :urg:

It doesn't matter to me whether it's Dixie Kong, K. Rool or even Cranky. I just think that Donkey Kong deserves 3 reps.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
I'll be a little upset if this is the final roster, and a 3rd Fire Emblem lord got in instead of a much-needed DK newcomer. :urg:

It doesn't matter to me whether it's Dixie Kong, K. Rool or even Cranky. I just think that Donkey Kong deserves 3 reps.

I agree. Fire emblem had 2 reps before DK, Kirby, and Metorid did. (in Melee)

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911

This sounds so much like the Brawl leak days, except with Chrom instead of Wolf or R.O.B. I really wish Sal's source would have said something definitive about roster size and cut veterans. Though with his apparent knowledge of the likelihood of DLC, perhaps he isn't comfortable commenting on either of those since they could change post-release.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That could be said about a few other newcomers too. Sakurai most definitely hasn't outright ignored Mewtwo though, he has most likely been on the priority list regardless of whether or not he makes it on launch, and even if he isn't on the roster on launch he's pretty much a lock for DLC, so you'll get him eventually. Same thing can't be said about Ridley or K. Rool who are newcomers that'd have been present on launch if Sakurai wanted them to ever be in.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
This sounds so much like the Brawl leak days, except with Chrom instead of Wolf or R.O.B. I really wish Sal's source would have said something definitive about roster size and cut veterans. Though with his apparent knowledge of the likelihood of DLC, perhaps he isn't comfortable commenting on either of those since they could change post-release.

Geez was I the only person hyped for wolf? Everyone hated on him during that leak. Probably because they all assumed he was another clone. (He wasn't. People say he is because he has a reflector and a blaster. THAT DOESN'T MAKE HIM A CLONE.) Anyways that's off topic. I don't know why he was really sure about Lucas anyway. I've analyzed the topic of the Gematsu leak to death since I joined Friday. I've literally been doing nothing but sitting on this forum trying to figure out whatever I can for literally the past 2 (and a half) days straight. Every time I find something that gives the gematsu leak more credibility, there's something else that pops up that does the opposite. Believing the leak is real or not at this point basically depends on how easy or not you are to convince.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I agree. Fire emblem had 2 reps before DK, Kirby, and Metorid did. (in Melee)
To be fair Roy was something of a last minute clone addition. Plus I can see why FE Lords are easier to imagine a moveset for than other characters. Not that I like it personally; I would love some more DK presence.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
To be fair Roy was something of a last minute clone addition. Plus I can see why FE Lords are easier to imagine a moveset for than other characters. Not that I like it personally; I would love some more DK presence.

I 100% agree with all that. I was just kinda making a point that character priority isn't a huge factor. And btw 6 of the characters in Melee were last minute clones. lol.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I 100% agree with all that. I was just kinda making a point that character priority isn't a huge factor. And btw 6 of the characters in Melee were last minute clones. lol.
True, I was just realizing that Zelda might, to this day, be a two character franchise if not for that clone batch haha.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Melee just had an awful roster in general, and compared to what it could have realistically been, definitely the worst in the series. The roster part clearly got rushed, and as such, shouldn't be really be used against a character not making it in then.

True, I was just realizing that Zelda might, to this day, be a two character franchise if not for that clone batch haha.
If Ganondorf didn't make it in Melee, he would have certainly made it in Brawl (probably not as any sort of clone too).

Last edited:

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
Zelda needs a newcomer badly. We've kinda had the same roster since melee (toon link basically the next young link) and 2 of the 5 Zelda characters are clones. It needs one more than any franchise that's already represented. (Debatably against DK & Metroid.) also pertaining to do with the gematsu characters, it seems like everyone forgot about that geno article in famitsu where sakurai basically said he was planning a rhythmHeaven character (but he talked about karate joe not marshal/chorus men.) but that was May 2013 before the game was properly announced

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom