• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Remember rosalina was not in this

So ridley and king k rool could easily be in the mix despite not being said (especially ridley from the shadow footage and being likely at this point it was a troll all along.)

(Ps next up on that is it was done in april and even though it was past april fools days a trick to think ridley is a boss.)

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so that was cute.

Let me clarify, Ridley is 99% confirmed to NOT be a playable character in sm4sh.

Sorry for crushing your dreams, I'll give you a 1% chance.
Where was this confirmed? We say a pretty clear shot of his character model's shadow and wing in that direct long ago. You seriously should have thought there was something strange about how they have us a name, history lesson, visual, stage, and etc of Yellow Devil and then they switched to the next scene and vaguely say "there are soooome stages with ceeeertain bosses" instead of just telling us what we're looking at... Namely the way the shadow moves and how it's animations reset when it starts/stops moving, while bosses can have their animations flow into each other since they're scripted to cycle between their actions at a preset time.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Why are people talking about characters who are not mentioned in the potential leak? Get back on topic everyone and or use the Character Discussion Thread.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ridley is 100% in Smash Bros. Regardless of his status, he's in the game, and I think that's what Reality_Ciak meant. (That said I agree with BombKirby, Ridley's shadow animations clearly seem to indicate he's either a badly animated boss or he's a playable character.)

Remember rosalina was not in this

So ridley and king k rool could easily be in the mix despite not being said (especially ridley from the shadow footage and being likely at this point it was a troll all along.)
The general argument about this is that Rosalina was revealed between leaks but the leaker did know about her. There's no way to really confirm or deny this, so its all up in the air. I for one think the leaker just didn't know everything, which was clearly evidenced by the fact that he couldn't name the Pokemon from X/Y even though the Pokemon from X/Y was known to be Greninja from very early on.

All of the info, except Mii Fighter, was outdated, and Mii Fighter was leaked by Nintendo just before the digital event due to their crappy press site username/password combination.

D

Deleted member

All of the info, except Mii Fighter, was outdated, and Mii Fighter was leaked by Nintendo just before the digital event due to their crappy press site username/password combination.
Perfect. I now know how he acquired that information. There. Aside from the press site bad password, I can safely say all of his information is outdated/obtained early on in development.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Rosalina also seems like she was worked on later than other newcomers I've noticed. Even maybe after ones revealed after her.

She was so unfinished in her trailer that she had no voice clips. That might mean more newcomers were decided past Sal's sources information.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Perfect. I now know how he acquired that information. There. Aside from the press site bad password, I can safely say all of his information is outdated/obtained early on in development.

Wasn't that much obvious? That's basically what everyone's arguing.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Rosalina also seems like she was worked on later than other newcomers I've noticed. Even maybe before ones revealed after her.

She was so unfinished in her trailer that she had no voice clips. That might mean more newcomers were decided past Sal's sources information.
They did say they are still looking into characters.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

Except the entire roster was decided on before development even started and, well.. if the guy had access to legitimate roster information he'd have..

* Known Villager's name right off the bat. Instead, he calls him 'Animal Crossing Guy'.
* Known Mii Fighters were Mii Fighters and called them that immediately, instead of just 'Mii' in the first leak.
* Known Rosalina was coming and added her to the first leak.
* Known Greninja/Gekkouga was coming and listed him by name. Instead, he calls him 'Pokemon from X and Y'.
* Not changed his original reveal of Palutena to Goddess Palutena. Why even do that if you got it right the first time? Weird.
* Known Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Charizard were solo characters. Surely they'd have outlined this major development somewhere, right?
* Not shot himself in the foot saying there was internal debate about whether to keep Lucas or Ness, when Sakurai admits they figured out what they wanted to do two years ago.
* Released all his information at once and not in several pieces. That's shifty stuff right there.

Sorry, but considering they delayed Smash 3DS (no surprise there), there's stuff that doesn't quite add up for me. I'm going to have to go out on that comfy limb I've been out on for a while now and say 'He's probably got access to material lined up for E3.'. Then again, considering that press kits were given out for pretty much everything Smash related that pertained to announcements, I'm willing to consider Sal's leaker was actually press that got early access to that information.

Then again, still doesn't explain why he didn't get the names right. It's not a huge cluster**** of information that he has to sift through or anything, organization is pretty key. I also think we can rule out him trying to 'protect himself', because the reveal of Wii Fit Trainer and everything over two E3's was a damaging reveal all on its lonesome.

If they're still looking at characters, guaranteed they're looking at characters for the upcoming DLC, if there is actually any and we're not having our legs pulled.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
That was mainly something taken out of context. The exact quote:

All of the characters you see here and pretty much all of the characters that we’re still looking at have… were all decided right at the very beginning of development."

In the context stated, it seems it was just a way to say the characters they haven't unveiled yet. Additionally, during the Direct, Sakurai said the 3DS version was nearly complete, and that they just had to do a bunch of debugging. Exact quote:

"The game is almost complete, but of course there's an astronomical amount of variables in a game like this. We have to be sure to put enough people on the debug team and test it correctly. Thank you for your patience. We have put all our focus on getting the fighters, items, assist trophies, stages, and enemy characters ready and in the game."

So that should pretty much confirm that they're on the final debugging stage now, and any character still in the game is pretty much complete, so no one should be getting cut at this point (unless they have a ****load of game breaking bugs they can't iron out). Thus if the Ness v Lucas thing is true, it's most definitely outdated and already decided.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Which makes me wonder why the Ness/Lucas things only came out on the last round of the leak.

I have to really wonder why it is that this leak came in steps rather than all at once if the source is looking at outdated information.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Ok, so that was cute.

Let me clarify, Ridley is 99% confirmed to NOT be a playable character in sm4sh.

Sorry for crushing your dreams, I'll give you a 1% chance.
I was correcting a simple error, not making a playable plea.

Anyway, I don't understand why cutting Ness or Lucas would be a decision so late in developement, if they have both done a set roster from the beginning, what's the reason for axing one? Custom moves? Why aren't other semi clones facing similar situations? Or could they be?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In all honesty-- and I'm sure that this has been stated way too much in the thread-- I think the "leak" (I consider it a rumor, not a leak) was a series of good educated guesses that are now being followed as if they're truth. Kinda like religion.

It's possible that this guy has insider information. Definitely. I just choose to believe that he doesn't. And if Chorus Men is seriously taking up a roster spot that would be better served by pretty much any other character Nintendo has the rights to, a little part of me will die inside.

D

Deleted member

Wasn't that much obvious? That's basically what everyone's arguing.
Well obviously. The Mii Fighter thing didn't add up though.

Until now. Everything fits now.

Also, the roster was finalized. Who said the names were final when the information was leaked? *Straw Grasping

I dunno, I just really want these 3 in the game for some reason. Even Chrom. If his taunts are as annoying as I envision them, he'll almost be a good character to sandbag with as Jiggle D' Puff.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
In all honesty-- and I'm sure that this has been stated way too much in the thread-- I think the "leak" (I consider it a rumor, not a leak) was a series of good educated guesses that are now being followed as if they're truth. Kinda like religion.

It's possible that this guy has insider information. Definitely. I just choose to believe that he doesn't. And if Chorus Men is seriously taking up a roster spot that would be better served by pretty much any other character Nintendo has the rights to, a little part of me will die inside.
I honestly agree with the Chorus Men part. When I think about Smash, I think about expanding upon Nintendo's major franchises (maybe minus Kid Icarus due to reasons related to franchise prevalence). We've been getting a lot of Newcomers that don't necessarily do this. That's what I mean when I say I'm currently disappointed with the known roster. I mean, including characters from non-major Nintendo franchises is cool, but when it looks to be the focus, it's just depressing.

EDIT: Although, I have to admit it'd be brilliant (from a marketing perspective) if they're holding out on the major-franchise newcomers for DLC. Which would you be more eager to buy: Pac-Man and Marshal (or Chorus Men), or certain major-franchise newcomers? Be honest.

As for the Gematsu leak, I view it as a possibility (unless proven 100% true).

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
In the case of Chrom, this will be a stretch, but maybe they were going to reveal clone characters that are costume swaps that share a slot with another character. I know he can and likely would have a unique moveset, I'm just grasping for ways to look at this list differently. I won't mind a 3rd blue haired sword lord, I just want to doubt that they would choose Chrom over other FE reps if we have Marth and Ike already.

SwagzillaForilla

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about you two, but predicting the Wii Fit Trainer and (presumably) the Chorus Men seals the deal for me. I was very skeptical before E3, until three Gematsu newcomers and the Rhythm Heaven enemy were revealed. At this point, it's hardly up for debate.

However, the leaker himself is questionable. Where and when did he get his information? Why is some information outdated, whereas some of it is very recent? Why did he reveal his information in pieces rather than all at once? etc.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wouldn't doubt it at all.

I'm sure Sakurai came up with some cool Fire Emblem mechanic for Chrom.

The interesting part is figuring out what it is.

I have a feeling it will be really unique, however.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I honestly agree with the Chorus Men part. When I think about Smash, I think about expanding upon Nintendo's major franchises (maybe minus Kid Icarus due to reasons related to seniority). We've been getting a lot of Newcomers that don't do this. That's what I mean when I say I'm currently disappointing with the known roster. I mean including characters from non-major Nintendo franchises is cool, but when it looks to be the focus, it's just depressing.

As for the Gematsu leak, I view it as a possibility (unless proven 100% true).
Out of curiosity, what constitutes a major franchise for you? Because I think all of the current newcomers qualify.

Animal Crossing has sold over 7 million copies over four critically acclaimed games and has given birth to a vibrant, dedicated community. Wii Fit was part of the reason for the Wii sales boom and sold over 40 million copies. Double goes for Miis and Wii Sports/Play/Music/Resort/etc. Greninja represents the newest entry to the ever successful Pokemon franchise. Rosalina is the only nod to the Super Mario Galaxy series, which had the highest rated game of all time (last I checked, anyway). Little Mac continues Nintendo's track record of trying to make budding franchises more popular through Smash Bros. introductions, and Pac-Man and Mega Man are instantly recognizable gaming icons who called Nintendo consoles home for a long, long time. Still do, as well.

Really, the only character I would claim fails to "expand upon Nintendo's major franchises" would be Palutena since we already have Pit, but I suppose I'm biased because I've never felt interested in Kid Icarus. Still, don't we have as many characters from that series as there are games?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Just gonna throw this out there:

Wii Fit Trainer is from a modern hit Nintendo franchise. Made tons of money for them.
Villager is from a Nintendo favorite. Animal Crossing is a top of the line Nintendo franchise now.
Chrom is from Fire Emblem. A Nintendo favorite and a major franchise.
Rosalina reps Mario. Modern Mario at that. Something that has not been repped quite yet. But still it's Mario.
Greninja is a Pokemon. Enough said.

Don't try to act like this roster is null and void of representing Nintendo's major franchises so far. Because it's not.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just gonna throw this out there:

Wii Fit Trainer is from a modern hit Nintendo franchise. Made tons of money for them.
Villager is from a Nintendo favorite. Animal Crossing is a top of the line Nintendo franchise now.
Chrom is from Fire Emblem. A Nintendo favorite and a major franchise.
Rosalina reps Mario. Modern Mario at that. Something that has not been repped quite yet. But still it's Mario.
Greninja is a Pokemon. Enough said.

Don't try to act like this roster is null and void of representing Nintendo's major franchises so far. Because it's not.
I would not necessarily assert that the roster is null and void of representing Nintendo's major franchises; but realistically, Fire Emblem is not one of those. Wii Fit, Animal Crossing are obviously prominent aspects of Nintendo. Chrom is not really comparable, neither are Chorus Men or Shulk.

Realistically, in terms of representing major franchises, we have another Pokemon and another Mario character (aside from the aforementioned Wii Fit and Animal Crossing). So about 1/3 of the characters whilst we are still missing notable characters that I will not mention as that would be off-topic.

Do not try to act like this roster does a great job of representing Nintendo's major franchises so far. Because it does not.
(This was just your sentence, it sounds very accusatory, so I am just clarifying that these are not my words. It was just the opposite of what you said).

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I would not necessarily assert that the roster is null and void of representing Nintendo's major franchises; but realistically, Fire Emblem is not one of those. Wii Fit, Animal Crossing are obviously prominent aspects of Nintendo. Chrom is not really comparable, neither are Chorus Men or Shulk.

Realistically, in terms of representing major franchises, we have another Pokemon and another Mario character (aside from the aforementioned Wii Fit and Animal Crossing). So about 1/3 of the characters whilst we are still missing notable characters that I will not mention as that would be off-topic.

Do not try to act like this roster does a great job of representing Nintendo's major franchises so far. Because it does not.
(This was just your sentence, it sounds very accusatory, so I am just clarifying that these are not my words. It was just the opposite of what you said).
Purely out of curiosity, who would you rather be represented, instead of the ones you mentioned?

Morbi

Scavenger
Purely out of curiosity, who would you rather be represented, instead of the ones you mentioned?
I suppose we all have our own subjective desires pertaining to the roster; however, I am not one to make demands. I just feel as though Mii Fighters were detrimental in terms of characters selection. I would have preferred no Mii Fighters, or I would want a Default or "effigy" Mii available for online, or I would have adored an all encompassing Mii Fighter with attributes borrowed from each concept (so that we do not have redundant animations like Samus' d-tilt or Link's taunt). So basically, I hate the execution of a character with so much potential. Sakurai could have implemented them in numerous more effective ways, he seemingly chose the worst possible way to represent them.

In fact, that is precisely why I did not believe the Gematsu leak prior to e3. I was certain that the Mii Fighters would introduce odd complications. Alas, Mii Fighters are on the roster.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In fact, that is precisely why I did not believe the Gematsu leak prior to e3. I was certain that the Mii Fighters would introduce odd complications. Alas, Mii Fighters are on the roster.
Funny you should say that. The prediction of Miis carried no weight with me since that was an obvious guess; Sakurai had stated after Brawl's completion that he had wanted customizable Miis to be in the game, but just didn't have the resources. After a statement like that, "predicting" that they'll be in the next game isn't exactly a leap of faith.

Morbi

Scavenger
Funny you should say that. The prediction of Miis carried no weight with me since that was an obvious guess; Sakurai had stated after Brawl's completion that he had wanted customizable Miis to be in the game, but just didn't have the resources. After a statement like that, "predicting" that they'll be in the next game isn't exactly a leap of faith.
It was a leap of faith for me as all of the other characters on the list were blatantly obvious.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, what constitutes a major franchise for you? Because I think all of the current newcomers qualify.

Animal Crossing has sold over 7 million copies over four critically acclaimed games and has given birth to a vibrant, dedicated community. Wii Fit was part of the reason for the Wii sales boom and sold over 40 million copies. Double goes for Miis and Wii Sports/Play/Music/Resort/etc. Greninja represents the newest entry to the ever successful Pokemon franchise. Rosalina is the only nod to the Super Mario Galaxy series, which had the highest rated game of all time (last I checked, anyway). Little Mac continues Nintendo's track record of trying to make budding franchises more popular through Smash Bros. introductions, and Pac-Man and Mega Man are instantly recognizable gaming icons who called Nintendo consoles home for a long, long time. Still do, as well.

Really, the only character I would claim fails to "expand upon Nintendo's major franchises" would be Palutena since we already have Pit, but I suppose I'm biased because I've never felt interested in Kid Icarus. Still, don't we have as many characters from that series as there are games?
Right, poorly worded on my behalf. I was just referring to the franchises that have been able to grow within Smash since its creation, hence the link (this time, minus Kid Icarus).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Wii Fit Trainer isn't really as big a surprise as people think. That game was hella popular.
I don't know, did you guess it? :p

It makes in hindsight but it was by no means an easy guess.

Rhythm Heaven's a pretty popular series. Chorus Kids were obvious!

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice

Fire emblem isn't a major Nintendo franchise?....

Besides Smash, Fire emblem/pokemon are the only reasons I own a wii u and 3ds. Fire emblem has been around forever and is exclusive ip for Nintendo, I'm pretty sure it's a major franchise.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't know, did you guess it? :p

It makes in hindsight but it was by no means an easy guess.

Rhythm Heaven's a pretty popular series. Chorus Kids were obvious!
I did actually. Of course I never mentioned it online so I don't have proof. The only characters I didn't see coming were Greninja(cause I thought gen 6 was too new), Palutena cause I thought the series wasn't big enough for 2 reps, and kinda Rosalina. I thought she was viable but thought Mario would have a different 5th rep.

Morbi

Scavenger
Fire emblem isn't a major Nintendo franchise?....

Besides Smash, Fire emblem/pokemon are the only reasons I own a wii u and 3ds. Fire emblem has been around forever and is exclusive ip for Nintendo, I'm pretty sure it's a major franchise.
I also enjoy Fire Emblem; that does not necessarily make it a major Nintendo franchise. It is a prominent aspect of Smash, certainly. However, I would not say the same for Nintendo. I am mostly basing this notion on sales though (not necessarily the date it was conceived which is not material). I am sure that it is one of the more beloved franchises.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Sal has shot himself in the foot on multiple occasions, and missed all of the obvious characters like Rosalina, Charizard, Sheik and Zamus, etc. I also find it hard to believe that someone could not know the names of ANY characters in their 'leak'. I'm dismissing him and always have personally.

He's a chap that made educated guesses, and has started a falsified tidal wave of support because of it. At this point, I don't count any characters in or out. Sakurai has proved that he is capable of making a move-set out of just about anything. It's just a matter of what characters he feels more attached to at this point.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Mysteltainn Mysteltainn
Charizard, Sheik, and ZSS are not newcomers.

However Rosalina is, but the first leak probably spoke about outdated E3 plans.
Rosalina was never planned for E3.

And Wii Fit Trainer (and Chorus Kids) is a really "educated" guess.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Even when his remaining 3 is revealed.

He will still remain someone who made ''educated" guesses.

Because literally everyone and their mother was expecting that Wii Fit Trainer. Also everyone knows Chorus Men is such an obvious shoo in choice for Smash Brothers!

chronomantic

Smash Ace
And if Chorus Men is seriously taking up a roster spot that would be better served by pretty much any other character Nintendo has the rights to, a little part of me will die inside.
Like Daisy? :rolleyes:
The Rhythm Heaven series has sold more than, say, Fire Emblem. The Chorus Kids would be perfect to represent the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom