• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
.....oh.
apologies for the misunderstanding.

I'd like to be proven wrong about newcomers as well.
Honestly at this point i'm just worried about veterans, though. If Lucas is on the chopping block, i'm wondering who else could be in danger.
That's hard to say. If he only bothered to mention Lucas, he might be the only one in danger, outside of Squirtle and Ivysaur. I'll say it's a bit odd not to bring up Snake if you're a leaker though, he's an assumed cut by many, but you'd think he'd offer some clarification regardless.

the CSS molds to the roster, not the other way around.
Indeed. However, the number of character squares on the selection screen dictates the size and proportion of the character squares, since they'll have to fit together in some kind of aesthetically pleasing way. For those speculating, it's a simple matter of working in reverse; using the proportions of the character squares as a measuring stick to see how many are intended to fit.

It just so happens that 48 squares (one being Random) fits cleanly on both the Wii U and 3DS screens without any weird contrivances. You could do something ridiculous like scale down a character square to a tiny fraction of its size and say, "Look! Four hundred characters can fit!" but that would be pedantic.

Anyway, that's why the idea of a 47-character roster is gaining steam. It also helps that it's easy to reconcile such a roster size with the Sal rumor.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the roster is chosen around the character screen.

And also, do people seriously think Sakurai would leave such a small amount of the roster a mystery, even after he lamented about how he revealed too much stuff for Brawl prerelease?
I find it probable that he would want to formally unveil each character with a bombastic CGI trailer, before low-fidelity screenshots leak out, since he hates the Internet ruining his best laid plans. I don't see why he would try to hold back secrets when, previously, he seemed so resigned to the Internet making secrets impossible.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Indeed. However, the number of character squares on the selection screen dictates the size and proportion of the character squares, since they'll have to fit together in some kind of aesthetically pleasing way. For those speculating, it's a simple matter of working in reverse; using the proportions of the character squares as a measuring stick to see how many are intended to fit.

It just so happens that 48 squares (one being Random) fits cleanly on both the Wii U and 3DS screens without any weird contrivances. You could do something ridiculous like scale down a character square to a tiny fraction of its size and say, "Look! Four hundred characters can fit!" but that would be pedantic.

Anyway, that's why the idea of a 47-character roster is gaining steam. It also helps that it's easy to reconcile such a roster size with the Sal rumor.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the roster is chosen around the character screen.
Then there's that guy who has a 51 roster that looks "nice" and everything, and so on and so forth. So using a CSS to get to 47 doesn't mean anything.

I find it probable that he would want to formally unveil each character with a bombastic CGI trailer, before low-fidelity screenshots leak out, since he hates the Internet ruining his best laid plans. I don't see why he would try to hold back secrets when, previously, he seemed so resigned to the Internet making secrets impossible.
See the thing I said earlier about cutscenes, and why it's a problem when they get posted on the internet, rather than it just being spoilers. In fact, Sakurai's exact quote is:

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

I.e., you don't need to actually buy and play the game to enjoy them. This is not equivalent to spoilers, as even if you spoiled yourself about the roster, you would still need to buy and play the game to actually enjoy it. So as such, people should stop using this as evidence that Sakurai isn't going to keep stuff about game a mystery (he also said at E3 he wasn't going to show us everything and wanted us to find that stuff out for ourselves when we play it).

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
T(he also said at E3 he wasn't going to show us everything and wanted us to find that stuff out for ourselves when we play it)
Is that what he said? I just remember him saying "We may not be able to cover all of the content before the release date comes." I'd look it up myself but I'm busy at the moment. If you're sure, I'll take your word for it.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Brawl had 18 new characters.

Eighteen.

Do you really think we'll have more than this:
:charizard::dedede::diddy::ike::ivysaur::lucario::lucas::metaknight::olimar::pit::rob::snake::sonic::squirtle::toonlink::wario::wolf::zerosuitsamus:
if this game came out next year yes we would but since he is hell bent on releasing it this year he wouldn't have the time to include enough to surpass 18 new fighters

SwagzillaForilla

Smash Apprentice
Is that what he said? I just remember him saying "We may not be able to cover all of the content before the release date comes." I'd look it up myself but I'm busy at the moment. If you're sure, I'll take your word for it.
Thankfully, I have all the time in the world.

Exact quote: "There are many more game elements that we haven't introduced yet, but I don't think we can talk about them all before we release"

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Assuming this leak is true, and these are the only newcomers left, how satisfied are you guys with the newcomer line-up? I suppose I wouldn't be terribly disappointed, but I feel like Sakurai would've added even MORE variety and classic characters to the mix. I don't know how I feel right now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Another delay would be ridiculous considering the state of the Wii U.
That's probably why we're getting DLC characters. The game comes out this year, and additional characters are released later as DLC. :p

Assuming this leak is true, and these are the only newcomers left, how satisfied are you guys with the newcomer line-up? I suppose I wouldn't be terribly disappointed, but I feel like Sakurai would've added even MORE variety and classic characters to the mix. I don't know how I feel right now.
There's a nice variety of franchises represented... but its severely lacking in classic characters. No new DK rep, no "Retro" Nintendo rep (Little Mac had a game recently and Pac-Man/Mega Man, though based on Retro designs, have had games recently), no real handheld-exclusive reps (kinda annoying; Golden Sun and Advance Wars representation would've been cool), and only about 1/3 of the characters are all that interesting.

Yeah, I'd be disappointed. I'll deal with the roster, but this is quite disappointing regardless. Still, if Ganondorf gets a total makeover and no other characters are updated, I'll be perfectly happy with it. If Ganondorf doesn't get an overhaul I'll be really pissed that we got all this effort put into Newcomers but not one of Nintendo's most iconic villains, whom will still be stuck with a clone moveset.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm very satisfied with the newcomers we have, and the remaining three from this leak would be interesting. Is there some I would like more? Yes (Bowser Jr. comes to mind), but you can't get them all.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It'd be better if Ridley, King K, Isaac and Bomberman were in.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I'm glad to see some people here that are pointing out what those who are disappointed seem to be missing. Assuming the leak is true, that means we got these super requested characters:
  • Megaman
  • An Animal Crossing character
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Shulk
If you look at the old rate their chances thread, Palutena, Little Mac, and Shulk are all in the top ten most wanted. Not to mention Megaman was even noted by Sakurai as being the next most wanted character after Sonic for Brawl, who he brought back, by the way!

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Anyone expecting more than Brawl has some issues. There is no way in hell we're getting 18 newcomers. 14 would be max if anything. That's what Melee had.

But haven't you guys noticed? they have been announcing newcomers a lot slower in this game than in previous ones. In Brawl then had 3 newcomers a month roughly. This game is like 1 every 2 months besides E3 which gets 3. The Gematsu newcomers are most likely it for newcomers. Simple as that.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
That's probably why we're getting DLC characters. The game comes out this year, and additional characters are released later as DLC. :p

There's a nice variety of franchises represented... but its severely lacking in classic characters. No new DK rep, no "Retro" Nintendo rep (Little Mac had a game recently and Pac-Man/Mega Man, though based on Retro designs, have had games recently), no real handheld-exclusive reps (kinda annoying; Golden Sun and Advance Wars representation would've been cool), and only about 1/3 of the characters are all that interesting.

Yeah, I'd be disappointed. I'll deal with the roster, but this is quite disappointing regardless. Still, if Ganondorf gets a total makeover and no other characters are updated, I'll be perfectly happy with it. If Ganondorf doesn't get an overhaul I'll be really pissed that we got all this effort put into Newcomers but not one of Nintendo's most iconic villains, whom will still be stuck with a clone moveset.
I agree. Franchises that have previously had reps are not getting a great deal of attention. Out of the nine newcomers so far, only three are reps of a franchise that already has reps: Rosalina, Greninja, and Palutena. No DK newcomer is both surprising and disappointing, and the lack of retro characters is shocking as well, knowing Sakurai.

Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men. I'm not sure if they would build a massive amount of hype. I know many people who aren't very familiar with any of these characters. This just doesn't feel like a Sakurai-ish roster.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Nice change of pace for this topic! Personally I would be just a little disappointed that fan favorites such as Ridley and Mewtwo weren't added, but since I love so many of the veterans and newcomers I'd be OK with it in the long-run. After all, even with just the characters Sal has leaked I believe Sakurai has indeed achieved creating the greatest character game ever, not to mention what might well be the best Smash Bros. so far if in no other way than character choice. I was predicting only like 42 characters before, so I am very happy that I was off by such a significant portion! Besides, there's always the next Smash Bros. (and things like Project M) for characters that the fans feel should have been put in this game.
Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men. I'm not sure if they would build a massive amount of hype. I know many people who aren't very familiar with any of these characters.
I know Shulk and Chrom will in their respective communities, but you're right, compared to characters like Mega Man and Pac-Man, they won't generate nearly as much general buzz. Though I do predict the guy with the huge, awesome sword will become a fan-favorite even among people who have never heard of Xenoblade after people get their hands on the game. He'll be like Roy 2.0, assuming they don't make him more like Brawl Ganondorf 2.0...

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I'm glad to see some people here that are pointing out what those who are disappointed seem to be missing. Assuming the leak is true, that means we got these super requested characters:
  • Megaman
  • An Animal Crossing character
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Shulk
If you look at the old rate their chances thread, Palutena, Little Mac, and Shulk are all in the top ten most wanted. Not to mention Megaman was even noted by Sakurai as being the next most wanted character after Sonic for Brawl, who he brought back, by the way!
I realize we have those characters, and I'm very excited about all of them(except maybe Shulk). But am I wrong to be disappointed? I still feel like this roster is missing something. Most of my most wanted characters have been confirmed already, yet I still feel like there is some hole in this roster, a hole that can only be filled by Ridley more variety and twists.

Don't take me as ungrateful, I still love the roster as is, and I love this game as well. It just feels weird to me. I can't explain it really.

Last edited:

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
So if I'm correct this is the roster we are expecting taking into account all of the gematsu leaks thus far?
From someone who personally doesn't get a single one of my most wanted newcomers, this isn't too shabby.
My only major gripe with this is that Sm4sh is supposed to be about the Console and the Handheld Nintendo worlds.
I'm seeing a lot of console here, but barely any handheld.
My #1 newcomer is any rep from Golden Sun, so I'm a little bummed to see that handheld exclusive series take the backburner to some more lackluster console characters.
But besides that, I have no problems with this roster, it's massive for a smash game and in all honesty has amazing quality and overall variety.
About DLC being present in this game, I don't understand everyone's problem with it.
Not only do I feel Nintendo does DLC right, but they haven't been doing it for very long, and I feel smash is more than deserving of some character DLC to keep the hype going far after the release date.
And hey, maybe we'll get some of those hype inducing characters like K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, etc.

Sebagomez

Smash Journeyman
So if I'm correct this is the roster we are expecting taking into account all of the gematsu leaks thus far?
From someone who personally doesn't get a single one of my most wanted newcomers, this isn't too shabby.
My only major gripe with this is that Sm4sh is supposed to be about the Console and the Handheld Nintendo worlds.
I'm seeing a lot of console here, but barely any handheld.
My #1 newcomer is any rep from Golden Sun, so I'm a little bummed to see that handheld exclusive series take the backburner to some more lackluster console characters.
But besides that, I have no problems with this roster, it's massive for a smash game and in all honesty has amazing quality and overall variety.
About DLC being present in this game, I don't understand everyone's problem with it.
Not only do I feel Nintendo does DLC right, but they haven't been doing it for very long, and I feel smash is more than deserving of some character DLC to keep the hype going far after the release date.
And hey, maybe we'll get some of those hype inducing characters like K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, etc.
Handheld?
- Marshal/Chrous Kids
- Villager
- Pokémon
- Wario (Wario Ware Inc.)
- Mr. G&W
- Pit & Palutena (GBA, 3DS)
- Toon Link (GBA, NDS)

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Nice change of pace for this topic! Personally I would be just a little disappointed that fan favorites such as Ridley and Mewtwo weren't added, but since I love so many of the veterans and newcomers I'd be OK with it in the long-run. After all, even with just the characters Sal has leaked I believe Sakurai has indeed achieved creating the greatest character game ever, not to mention what might well be the best Smash Bros. so far if in no other way than character choice. I was predicting only like 42 characters before, so I am very happy that I was off by such a significant portion! Besides, there's always the next Smash Bros. (and things like Project M) for characters that the fans feel should have been put in this game.

I know Shulk and Chrom will in their respective communities, but you're right, compared to characters like Mega Man and Pac-Man, they won't generate nearly as much general buzz. Though I do predict the guy with the huge, awesome sword will become a fan-favorite even among people who have never heard of Xenoblade after people get their hands on the game. He'll be like Roy 2.0, assuming they don't make him more like Brawl Ganondorf 2.0...
Yeah, Shulk does seem pretty awesome, but I've never had a strong appeal to characters I'm not familiar with. Doesn't mean I'm against them, but it would take a lot for me to warm up to them. Ike is probably a good example of what I'm saying. I wasn't familiar with him before Brawl, so at the time, it took a while for me to like him. I do now though, so maybe the same will happen for Shulk.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
Handheld?
- Marshal/Chrous Kids
- Villager
- Pokémon
- Wario (Wario Ware Inc.)
- Mr. G&W
- Pit & Palutena (GBA, 3DS)
- Toon Link (GBA, NDS)
I wasn't saying there was NO handheld representation.
I was saying sm4sh is LACKING in handheld representation.
Besides the Chorus Kids we have no other handheld exclusive franchises new to the smash series.
That bums me out, seeing as Sakurai seemed to be putting emphasis on making this game highlight the history of both Nintendo's console and handheld markets.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wasn't saying there was NO handheld representation.
I was saying sm4sh is LACKING in handheld representation.
Besides the Chorus Kids we have no other handheld exclusive franchises new to the smash series.
That bums me out, seeing as Sakurai seemed to be putting emphasis on making this game highlight the history of both Nintendo's console and handheld markets.
Rhythm Heaven isn't handheld exclusive. The characters themselves were, though.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
Rhythm Heaven isn't handheld exclusive. The characters themselves were, though.
Didn't know that.
So we have no new handheld exclusive franchises in a smash where Sakurai seemed to be putting emphasis on making this game highlight the history of both Nintendo's console and handheld markets.
Great.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
But haven't you guys noticed? they have been announcing newcomers a lot slower in this game than in previous ones. In Brawl then had 3 newcomers a month roughly. This game is like 1 every 2 months besides E3 which gets 3. The Gematsu newcomers are most likely it for newcomers. Simple as that.
There are two big factors you're discounting. One, "Pic of the day" started much sooner before release than the Brawl Dojo updates did (Brawl Dojo updates started about six months before Japanese release, while Smash 4 pic of the days started 15 months before Japanese release). Two, regardless of if we really only have 12 newcomers, or up to even 20, a much larger portion of the roster are veterans this time (in Brawl, nearly half the cast were newcomers, while this time around veterans take up around two-thirds). That is why we have a seeming lower rate of newcomers being revealed, not necessarily because we have much less of them (additionally, this is completely discounting that Sakurai might want to keep more newcomers secret this time, he has lamented that he revealed too much stuff for Brawl prerelease).

EDIT: Also, if you want to compare to Brawl's prereveal rate, about three months before release, Brawl had 10 newcomers revealed, so if we're gonna assume that the rate of newcomers revealed to actual amount of newcomers is equivalent, with Sakurai keeping as few of them secret as he did in Brawl, we're still on pace for 14/15 overall, so this goes against Gemtasu being all that's left, not supports it.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Didn't know that.
So we have no new handheld exclusive franchises in a smash where Sakurai seemed to be putting emphasis on making this game highlight the history of both Nintendo's console and handheld markets.
Great.
Technically, even if we had an Advance Wars character, it wouldn't be handheld exclusive. In the US it would be, but prior Wars games were on consoles.

Isaac would be a handheld exclusive, though.

Rhythm Heaven Fever was on the Wii. The first two Rhythm Heaven games were GBA then DS. Chorus Men never appeared in Rhythm Heaven Fever, only the DS game, so they're handheld exclusive, but the franchise itself isn't.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Maybe this has been posted before but regarding the common objection about the Ness vs Lucas cut consideration being unlikely at this late stage in development:

''Another interesting note to draw from these comments are that Sakurai mentions that there are still “characters being looked at,” which could mean his team is still hard at work trying to keep additional fighters from being left on the cutting room floor. It could also mean that some characters may have been shifted to DLC as a result of time restraints.''

http://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-roster-greninja-details/

I didn't even catch that at the roundtable, granted the comment is pretty vague but who knows maybe they're really considering it.

Shroob

Sup?
Technically, even if we had an Advance Wars character, it wouldn't be handheld exclusive. In the US it would be, but prior Wars games were on consoles.

Isaac would be a handheld exclusive, though.

Rhythm Heaven Fever was on the Wii. The first two Rhythm Heaven games were GBA then DS. Chorus Men never appeared in Rhythm Heaven Fever, only the DS game, so they're handheld exclusive, but the franchise itself isn't.
Actually, a single Chorus Man was in Fever in Munchy Mok.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Maybe this has been posted before but regarding the common objection about the Ness vs Lucas cut consideration being unlikely at this late stage in development:

''Another interesting note to draw from these comments are that Sakurai mentions that there are still “characters being looked at,” which could mean his team is still hard at work trying to keep additional fighters from being left on the cutting room floor. It could also mean that some characters may have been shifted to DLC as a result of time restraints.''

http://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-roster-greninja-details/

I didn't even catch that at the roundtable, granted the comment is pretty vague but who knows maybe they're really considering it.
The exact quote:

All of the characters you see here and pretty much all of the characters that we’re still looking at have… were all decided right at the very beginning of development."

In the context stated, I think it was just a way to say the characters they haven't unveiled yet. Additionally, during the Direct, Sakurai said the 3DS version was nearly complete, and that they just had to do a bunch of debugging. Exact quote:

"The game is almost complete, but of course there's an astronomical amount of variables in a game like this. We have to be sure to put enough people on the debug team and test it correctly. Thank you for your patience. We have put all our focus on getting the fighters, items, assist trophies, stages, and enemy characters ready and in the game."

So that should pretty much confirm that they're on the final debugging stage now, and any character still in the game is pretty much complete, so no one should be getting cut at this point (unless they have a ****load of game breaking bugs they can't iron out). Thus if the Ness v Lucas thing is true, it's most definitely outdated and already decided.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I agree. Franchises that have previously had reps are not getting a great deal of attention. Out of the nine newcomers so far, only three are reps of a franchise that already has reps: Rosalina, Greninja, and Palutena. No DK newcomer is both surprising and disappointing, and the lack of retro characters is shocking as well, knowing Sakurai.

Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men. I'm not sure if they would build a massive amount of hype. I know many people who aren't very familiar with any of these characters. This just doesn't feel like a Sakurai-ish roster.
Out of the "classic" franchises, it could be argued that there doesn't need to be a whole lot more reps per franchise. You mentioned Mario, Pokemon, and KI getting new reps. Let's look at the others.

DK: Most likely to get one in the future (if not this game), most likely Dixie or Cranky since K. Rool is franchise-dead.
Metroid: Outside of Ridley, this franchise isn't about the characters. It's about Samus, and that's pretty much it.
Zelda: We already have the big 3, PLUS 2 characters (Shiek and Toon Link). Another Zelda rep would be a stretch, which is hard for me to say with Zelda being my fav franchise (though I could see Tingle in the future, because he's recurring and has his own game)
Kirby: We already have the big 3. Bandana Dee would be next, but we got 2 new reps last time, so not really necessary this time.
Star Fox: Really going to add a new one here? Krystal, who is basically irrelevant now (along with most of the franchise)?
Mother: See Star Fox

My point is....the "classic" franchises are starting to run out of characters to pick from, so naturally a lot of the newcomers are going to be from new franchises, 3rd party, or more seemingly "obscure" choices. Hence: PacMan, Little Mac, Mega Man, Chorus Kids/Shulk, etc. Sakurai could add Toad and Dixie and Skull Kid and Ridley and Bandana Dee and Krystal if we wanted...but would that be the best thing to do for THIS Smash game considering what is relevant with Nintendo right now?

Ultimately, Sakurai decides that, but I am really happy with this roster (assuming it is correct). Anything else with DLC is icing on the cake. Plus, he has to save SOMEthing for the next game, right?

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I would be fine with DLC stages or costumes... but DLC characters destroys the appeal of smash bros being a once in a generation game.

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
I would be fine with DLC stages or costumes... but DLC characters destroys the appeal of smash bros being a once in a generation game.
I'd disagree. I think it would vastly improve the game's once per generation lifespan and make it more enjoyable for longer.

One of the more justified fears of DLC, is when a new version comes along, all of your DLC becomes outdated far sooner than you bargained for. I don't think anyone has any reasonable fears that we'll be seeing another Smash game in the very near future, and I think that DLC will help keep the game running while we wait for the next game.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
If I'm interpretting this correctly, if they were to do DLC characters, I'm sure the only plausible "new" characters would be Inklings, Wonder Red, and possibly the guy from Codename STEAM. Other than that we'd get oldie newcomers. If that makes sense

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I'd disagree. I think it would vastly improve the game's once per generation lifespan and make it more enjoyable for longer.

One of the more justified fears of DLC, is when a new version comes along, all of your DLC becomes outdated far sooner than you bargained for. I don't think anyone has any reasonable fears that we'll be seeing another Smash game in the very near future, and I think that DLC will help keep the game running while we wait for the next game.
Yeah, it makes the game last longer for that generation but when the next game rolls around it's almost like a glorified expansion pack. Nintendo only has so many characters to choose from before they start scraping the bottom of the barrel. And my fear with DLC characters is that when the next smash game gets announced, no one will be excited for who's in it..

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Out of the "classic" franchises, it could be argued that there doesn't need to be a whole lot more reps per franchise. You mentioned Mario, Pokemon, and KI getting new reps. Let's look at the others.

DK: Most likely to get one in the future (if not this game), most likely Dixie or Cranky since K. Rool is franchise-dead.
Metroid: Outside of Ridley, this franchise isn't about the characters. It's about Samus, and that's pretty much it.
Zelda: We already have the big 3, PLUS 2 characters (Shiek and Toon Link). Another Zelda rep would be a stretch, which is hard for me to say with Zelda being my fav franchise (though I could see Tingle in the future, because he's recurring and has his own game)
Kirby: We already have the big 3. Bandana Dee would be next, but we got 2 new reps last time, so not really necessary this time.
Star Fox: Really going to add a new one here? Krystal, who is basically irrelevant now (along with most of the franchise)?
Mother: See Star Fox

My point is....the "classic" franchises are starting to run out of characters to pick from, so naturally a lot of the newcomers are going to be from new franchises, 3rd party, or more seemingly "obscure" choices. Hence: PacMan, Little Mac, Mega Man, Chorus Kids/Shulk, etc. Sakurai could add Toad and Dixie and Skull Kid and Ridley and Bandana Dee and Krystal if we wanted...but would that be the best thing to do for THIS Smash game considering what is relevant with Nintendo right now?

Ultimately, Sakurai decides that, but I am really happy with this roster (assuming it is correct). Anything else with DLC is icing on the cake. Plus, he has to save SOMEthing for the next game, right?
K. Rool is hardly franchise-dead. He last appeared around the time of Brawl and there have only been two DK games since then (plus a port). Compared to DK games prior to Returns including spinoffs (solo DK games), K. Rool has appeared in about 90% of them and even appeared in a Mario spinoff.

Agreed on the rest. We have all the main characters except Ridley, K. Rool, and Dixie Kong from the core franchises. Impa could be potentially added later for Zelda, but that's about it. (Tingle has too mixed of a reception to ever be added as playable.)

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it makes the game last longer for that generation but when the next game rolls around it's almost like a glorified expansion pack. Nintendo only has so many characters to choose from before they start scraping the bottom of the barrel. And my fear with DLC characters is that when the next smash game gets announced, no one will be excited for who's in it..
Hell, if we even get another smash, looking at Sakurai's health...
I personally embrace DLC for smash seeing as I doubt it would be more than 6 characters or so.
That still leaves plenty of room for more characters in future installments. (if we get any)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That depends on how long they support it for. Say we have to wait another 6 years for the next Smash, if Smash 4 gets DLC throughout 2015, something like 3-4 packs, but then stops afterwards it wouldn't take away from the next Smash as a 5 year gap is still a lot. Heck, DLC support for 2 years would still not rip the next Smash of that feeling.

No way they're going to add DLC all the way up to the next Smash, I see it going for max 2 years before they stop.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Well then, guess Sakurai confirmed it himself that he's gonna keep secrets still in today's pic of the day, huh? :smirk:

Though seriously, don't expect Sakurai to give up on keeping stuff secret because of the cutscenes being uploaded to the internet thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom