• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official South Carolina Thread

budahboi

Smash Apprentice
my 'troller broke. where can a i get a real nintendo controller in a store around cola. anyone know? I don't really wanna splurge for a play-asia, i just want a legit silver one.

sfcfalcon19

Smash Rookie
the scene is not dead in fact there are a lot of us who play, its just scarce i would say tourneys are not organized enough and a lot of those who play don't even know what smash boards is so they cant expand there knowledge and really get into it...

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
So who all in SC is considering going to the tourny in Clemson and/or the next Tipped Off for Melee? Right now due to monetary issues I'm afraid I can only pick one tournament, and as such that most likely means I'll be choosing Tipped Off since it's going to be larger and it will be primarily Melee. Now this doesn't mean I'm going for sure but in the event that I choose a tournament to go to, that one will probably be the one.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
they're on the same date, so...you can only pick one either way.

i'm going to rom this weekend and as such, idk if i'll be going to either of them. money things and school things and gas things and things.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I'm planning on going to Tipped Off. Not playing, but going. This could change though.
Edit- I can't make it. Surprise cincert at 3pm that I can't ask off for due to limited people showing up and the director needing me to sing in the tenor section. (I'm a paid choir section leader and soloist for a church here in greenville). Have fun tho!

Farmboy

Smash Rookie
New here but looking to dive in and get into some tournaments as soon as the time is right. Anybody have information about brawl happening in southern Charleston area such as James Island etc?

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
New here but looking to dive in and get into some tournaments as soon as the time is right. Anybody have information about brawl happening in southern Charleston area such as James Island etc?
Firstly I don't play Brawl very much. Clarifying that I am a Melee player before helping out, so you understand why I don't include myself in "list of people for you to play".

second, there is a big scene (was when I was there anyway) of Brawlers at College of Charleston, look there if you can.

I live on James Island, and I know a couple of people who play Brawl pretty regularly. ALTHOUGH, lately, they have been addicted to November releases (Skyrim, MW3) so I'm not sure how ready they are to play. They don't get on here, though.

As for tournmaments? No. Never. South Carolina is almost what you'd call a dead scene. Faust (on these boards) has been doing some stuff in West Ashley, but you'd have to check with him about the details as I haven't paid attention. I've been meaning to stop by one of those myself, but eh.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Oh my god...it's Farm....

Holy **** holy **** holy **** holy ****

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
I'll be posting a new official thread for more details on power rankings, standings, and the new system tonight. It'll give a good idea how everything will be laid out especially after a string of new tournaments coming up. If you've read the tournament for Orange Concave, you've read my overview of the system already.

Basically, I want SC power rankings range from 1-15th place. It will be a point system. The more points you have, the higher ranking you have.

You get points by beating ranked players, each rank is worth X points and your rankings fluctuate constantly as you play in the tournament for more accurate distribution of points.

Points don't get deducted, so losing matches won't have any negative effects to you. Which is good for people who are unfortunate and get paired up with good players off the gate.

Every year, excluding the end of this year, points get pro-rated to allow new comers to join in the ranks. It's unfair when veterans have an ungodly amount of points, the rankings will never change and it won't be so inviting for new comers.

Come out guys! It'll be fun!

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
If I beat people in NC who are ranked....do I get points?
Nope. SC power ranks are for SC residents and SC tournaments only.

If an experienced NC (or any state, like yourself) player comes to an SC tournament and kills the competition, it doesn't effect our rankings, they just....take our money. lol.

I know, other states aren't limiting their power rankings to their residents, but our state is still dead. Your already ranked in NC and FL, lmfao.

Until SC can revive itself and actually has a scene worth something, it'll do some big changes in this system. It's just unexperienced players don't want to attend when they know they have no chance into getting into ranks or getting any money off of it. That's why I want to keep it, SC players only for rankings. I know there are SEVERAL experienced SC players like EverlastingYay and other I'm not too aware of. Not saying that SC doesn't hold any worth. They aren't excluded, come play and show us a thing or two!

Btw, Eric, I've gotten a little better since we've played. But definitely not enough to beat you, lol. But enough to reduce those stocks...haha.

Niceness

Smash Cadet
yo the tourney in Clemson was hype i just wish more people would have made it out and ill cya at the cola tourney...practice up cuz i only plan on getting better

P.S. who cares about brawl

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
lol SC, just ignore purple mantis, i really don't know what he's doing here since the only brawl player you guys have is ESAM.

what was the results for the clemson tournament?

Sle-R

Smash Rookie
Results are coming soon, with some funny videos as well lol.
This tourney took way longer than expected there was a power outage when they were playing the winner's finals.

sfcfalcon19

Smash Rookie
Results are coming soon, with some funny videos as well lol.
This tourney took way longer than expected there was a power outage when they were playing the winner's finals.
I know it was pretty funny there was so much hype at that moment then the whole block went dark , to bad doubles never started ...

:phone:

CRAXalfie

Smash Cadet
lol SC, just ignore purple mantis, i really don't know what he's doing here since the only brawl player you guys have is ESAM.

what was the results for the clemson tournament?
It was nice hosting this tournament, but very unprepared, bwahahaha. I wish I had a better system for tracking points and rankings, but I did them by hand and it wasn't bad, I just couldn't join in the friendlies and warm ups as I wanted to. I ended up getting knocked out quickly, but that won't happen again. The attendance was good, we ended up with 20 players. The day before we figured it would just end up being our tight knit group we had before, so we ended up staying up all night playing till 5 AM. Then people started knocking on our doors the next morning, not expecting much people to show up, forcing all of us to wake up, haha.

Blackout ended up stopping the tournament at winner's finals. So I paid them out accordingly to the last three that were left. Daniel (niceness) and Butch stuck around till the power came back on and decided to re-do the match, with Daniel taking it home.

We definitely need to do a better system for preliminary match ups. I ended up doing it random, by pulling numbers. Butch ended up making it to finals without playing a ranked player (not saying he's not good, but he didn't play anyone ranked to give him a challenge). It's not perfect, but I'll find a better system for sure. Even though Butch placed 2nd in the tournament, he's only ranked at 14th. Because of the people he played and losing to Daniel, his wins weighed out to nothing. (Chris, I've been told NC does a system with 'pools'? I might have it where first match ups will be unranked players against ranked players.)

Here's an update on power rankings and everyone's standing with points.

Daniel (niceness) #1– 52 points

Luu # 2– 47 points

Spencer (nuts) #3 – 40 points

Franklin # 4 – 32 points

Brandon (bran) #5 – 22 points

Sean (smff) #6 – 16 points

Jr (docj) # 7– 15 points

Alfie (crax) # 8 – 13 points

Alex #9 – 11 points

Sai #9 – 11 points

Stewart #11 – 10 points

Rafael #12 – 8 points

Caston #13 – 7 points

Butch #14 – 6 points

#15 place remained a free spot because 5 people were eligible for the spot and didn't get the chance to see who deserves the spot, so it'll remain blank till the next SC tournament.

I can see where this point system is flawed, I'll keep working on it and I might have their points reset every tournament to avoid some players from having too much points. It'll be near impossible for a lower ranked player to gain enough points to beat the higher ranked folks without fixing it.

Top Bottom