• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thank you
and the person who said my point of view is they made it omnipotent (forgot the name sorry
:))
basically that's what they did but they let others be more diverse so there are advantages and disadvantageous otherwise the game would be horrible.
this guy actually believes that the creators knew everything that was going to go into the competitive metagame adn designed it intentionally that way...

...just...

just no

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Howcome when I said this on the SAME PAGE in a huge, thread-winning type post, no one even mentioned it, and when Praxis says it, a bunch of people are like "Oh my god, I get it now, it's so simple when he says it, Old Sagat is Metaknight!"?
Haha, I was just skimming the topic, and I know praxis IRL so I read his post. I didn't even know you posted on the matter. Sorry :(

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
IMO further discussion on this gets us nowhere. However, it's nice to keep the debates a'firin :p

As of right now the only thing we can do is react to the MK-less tournaments that are coming up within these next few weeks.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I understand that.

So... Meta doesn't approach. >_> Yoshi still can't do anything vs Meta's dtilt and overall zoning.

In super-theory Marth could up b everything, and in super-theory Yoshi can pivot grab all aerial approaches by Meta. But we aren't super humans, and Meta doesn't have to rely on approaches that will get him grabbed.
Again, I agree, Which is why it's a slight advantage in Marth board terms, a 45-55.

Also, I think the dtilt is included in that, even though it's a poke, not an approach.

Also, the biggest point is, MK never has to approach, so why should he?

From there, his better zoning puts Yoshi in an inherently slight worse position.

PND

Smash Champion
man you guys are too worked up over this
my opinion= no "johns"
and if metaknight were unbeatable if the guy using it was pro
i dont think they'd make it on purpose
and metaknight is actually eaisily countered by some people
for instance lucario (projectile, strong, and powerful)
or captain falcon with his speed and power
normally i pick ike to deal with him or pikachu since down b gets a lot of MK's since MK needs to be close to attack
to beat MK its just common sense, which is "dont get hit"
which is hard i admit but its still common sense
post of the year. Someone give this guy an award.
:chuckle:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I really, REALLY hope youre joking,
I still cant believe this guy says captain falcon has speed and power...
p.s. sarcasm STILL does not transfer over teh intarwebs

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Melee Marth+ Melee Fox= Meta Knight.

Mewtwo-Speed+Tripping-Priority= Everyone else.

We all know the answer here.
Ban every character except Meta Knight. They all suck too much and skew the metagame when we should all actually be playing Meta Knight.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I really, REALLY hope youre joking,
I still cant believe this guy says captain falcon has speed and power...
p.s. sarcasm STILL does not transfer over teh intarwebs
Hey, Falcon DOES have speed and power.

He hurts.
He runs fast.
His jab is fast and sets up for stuff.

But...speed and power aren't exactly his problem though lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hey, Falcon DOES have speed and power.

He hurts. he gets hurt 10x more than he hurts anybody else
He runs fast. and...? his kill moves still suck and are slow
His jab is fast and sets up for stuff. so does everybodys, snakes sets up for like a 5 frame kill move, falcon gets a grab with no garanteed followups

But...speed and power aren't exactly his problem though lol.
exactly
Yes, I'm joking. :rolleyes:

The only award that post should receive is a Darwin award.
^^TRUFAX!!^^

@ankoku, yes i want to play a banned character, i want to play 5 as a matter of fact, and i dont think that that should be taken away from me, just because theres only one legal character

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Would R.O.B. be a good choice against Meta?

It seems like projectile-based characters would have the edge on MK--why don't they?

^Sorry if I sound ignorant--it's cuz I am. I haven't played many MK's.. skilled or not.

none of my friends have smash bros. brawl but one, who can never play, and I dnt get online much.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Would R.O.B. be a good choice against Meta?

It seems like projectile-based characters would have the edge on MK--why don't they?

^Sorry if I sound ignorant--it's cuz I am. I haven't played many MK's.. skilled or not.

none of my friends have smash bros. brawl but one, who can never play, and I dnt get online much.
If you said this to me in real life I'd break your neck. >:[

MK is why I switched from ROB. ROB always has to use his up+b to recover in an intelligent fashion, and once MK hears the jets... he up+bs because ROB can't air dodge.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Hey uhhh.. I was just uh kidding about that, no need to get feisty :l

But I see what you mean..

So are any projectile users even half-way decent against MK?

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
he up+bs because ROB can't air dodge.
One of my favorite moves with R.O.B is his upB. As for not being able to air dodge, after you initiate upB you can attack, after you attack you can air dodge. What i catch alot of people off guard with (edgeguarders, roller, and spot dodgers) is the bair. After i upB i usually either fair or bair. Bair propels you forward, which is how i use it 95% of the time. Adding this with your upB can/may hit said edgeguarder (a.k.a MK) as well as give you some horizontal distance.

And IF they ban mk, will you switch to johnny5 again?

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
i love ankoku

overswarm is cute

da kid is my secret biffle

tenki gives me wet dreams

teh umby is my secret secret biffle

and ankoku is hawt

Overswarm

is laughing at you
One of my favorite moves with R.O.B is his upB. As for not being able to air dodge, after you initiate upB you can attack, after you attack you can air dodge. What i catch alot of people off guard with (edgeguarders, roller, and spot dodgers) is the bair. After i upB i usually either fair or bair. Bair propels you forward, which is how i use it 95% of the time. Adding this with your upB can/may hit said edgeguarder (a.k.a MK) as well as give you some horizontal distance.

Did you seriously just try to inform me that you can do an attack out of ROB's up+B?

DRaGZ

Smash Champion

Do you think we don't know this? MK's options off-stage >>>>> R.O.B.'s options off-stage.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
In a nutshell, i know you know (you wrote that guide thing) but still you say it like your HELPLESS after an upB, and you're really not.
Yes. Yes you are.

This isn't me using up+b from far off and then being hunky dory.

This is me using up+b anywhere, and the moment the jet sound starts MK just uses his up+b to knock me out. He then floats back to teh stage to repeat.

I can up+b early, but then MK just waits for the aerial, then up+bs out of the lag. They all have lag.

I could up+b really really high and recovery like Snake does... except that uses all my fuel so I only get one shot. ROB falls slower than Snake and has a huge blind spot below and behind him. Regardless, even Snake doesn't generally recovery successfully this way... he normally just takes hits until MK screws up.

About the only thing you can do is jump, up+b, rising bair, repeat until you can drift to teh stage... but if MK hits you once after you are doing this, you're dead. This situation occurs every time MK knocks you off the stage.

You are helpless.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I KNOW there's a way around it, we're just not thinking hard enough. And it doesn't help that OS, who seems to be a big part in bringing down mk, is maining mk.

BTW are you winning more since your conversion?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hey uhhh.. I was just uh kidding about that, no need to get feisty :l

But I see what you mean..

So are any projectile users even half-way decent against MK?
since you admit that you dont know all that much ill be nice ot you, since a certain purple named somebody wont.

Projectile users dont fare well against MK because of a few reasons
1. hes small and therefore hard to hit with said projectiles.
2. hes, im pretty sure, the 4th fastest character in the game, below sonic, CF, and fox. so if he is getting hit from a distance he can close the gap very quickly.
2a. his dash attack and dash grab also propel him faster than his actual dash, and that helps when you need speed to get into your best range.
3. he can avoid linear, more laggy projectiles, like waddle dees, by gliding.
4. his tornado is uneffected by many projectiles

and I do believe that OS is winning more these days.

and for the record, basically in order to beat MK theres only 2 things we can do now
1. play every character that has a slight chance against him and hope that the player doesnt know the matchup, or
2. play Mk

guess which one is easier

bigman40

Smash Master
lol wow...Ever since I left this thread, it's become an argument on whther Yoshi is trash while getting everyone to agree to ban metaknight...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I KNOW there's a way around it, we're just not thinking hard enough. And it doesn't help that OS, who seems to be a big part in bringing down mk, is maining mk.

Had a smashfest today. I lost a grand total of one set... and maybe 5 games total. We played from 4 to almost 11.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

There is a way around it:

Ban MK.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
(I wish I could play OS's MK...)
Come to the tournament in MI on Nov. 8th or the circuit event after that.

If MK isn't banned by January, I'm just not going to play Brawl anymore, so you won't get that chance again!

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
since you admit that you dont know all that much ill be nice ot you, since a certain purple named somebody wont.

Projectile users dont fare well against MK because of a few reasons
1. hes small and therefore hard to hit with said projectiles.
2. hes, im pretty sure, the 4th fastest character in the game, below sonic, CF, and fox. so if he is getting hit from a distance he can close the gap very quickly.
2a. his dash attack and dash grab also propel him faster than his actual dash, and that helps when you need speed to get into your best range.
3. he can avoid linear, more laggy projectiles, like waddle dees, by gliding.
4. his tornado is uneffected by many projectiles

and I do believe that OS is winning more these days.

and for the record, basically in order to beat MK theres only 2 things we can do now
1. play every character that has a slight chance against him and hope that the player doesnt know the matchup, or
2. play Mk

guess which one is easier

thankyah for the kindness

:p Stupid masked blue Kirby....

His regular smashes--do they have priority over most projectiles as well?
I'm guessing they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom