• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official SBR tier list: Marth discussion

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I’m going to start this out briefly. I’m just going to copy paste a post I did just recently and delve a bit further.

What is this topic for? Not where MARTH or any other character is currently placed. In my opinion at this level of the metagame Marth is at a reasonably accurate spot. Where he is currently located is nothing to scoff at. We should be discussing on how to improve his position.

Let me start things off.

Here's the 'official' tier list up until Marth.

Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.

High
Marth
Now as the Marth boards we have pretty much discussed all of those 'above' match ups in some space or form. We are definitely under the opinion we are EVEN or SUPERIOR in the match up compared to all those characters bar ONE.

This character is known as Meta Knight. And there's really nothing we can do about it except continually evolving our metagame (and perhaps finding some super awesome technique) that will change this. I think this fact leads us to be below the 'rest' above us due to those characters having BETTER matchups with METAKNIGHT.

But what are we to complain? We're TOP of High Tier. A very respectable place with a lot of time on our hands to grow. I'd say without metaknight, Marth would most likely be in-between D3 and G&W. Just realise that the gap between character potential is not exceedingly large between where Marth is and many of those above him.

--------------------------
(End of previous statement)

Now what is going to make us go higher? Taking those EVEN matchups we have with higher tier characters and pushing it further into our favour. Is it possible? Let’s hope we can work something out before the other side does.

I’m now going to list my subjective opinion of all the characters below Marth that I believe is problematic for us. Marth needs to have his even matchups pushed more into his favour. Here’s the direction we need to move in. I’m listing all those in our same tier bracket and those below who are troublesome for us.

High
Wario
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Zelda
Shiek

Low
Pok駑on Trainer
High:
- Wario is not a huge problem for us. We do have grab release related things to tip us in our favour. The biggest issue with him is his super armour attacks. Marth has issues with these in my opinion.
- Lucario is probably around even with us or below. I don’t see him as a huge threat.
- donkey kong - DK has things that work against us. DK is a problematic character for me on numerous occasions. His many super armour attacks really do give huge issues. This match up I believe is potentially in dk’s favour. I think some or many would agree.
- diddy - diddy as a character is most likely below us. But with the use of bananas is a very large threat. He has the potential to even the match up or beat us. But right now he’s not a major issue.
- pikachu is not discussed. I’m under the opinion we don’t have problems with him as we can di out of his moves and swat his electric attacks. As well as having superior aerial priority.
- ice climbers - potential problems for everyone. But they just don’t have what it takes to beat an experienced Marth, so they should not be a threat to us.
- Kirby is not discussed much either. However, I think the matchup is potentially even or in Marth’s favour.
- Pit is not an issue at this time.
- Wolf shares invincibility frame attacks like we do, except his can’t really be punished with mistakes. Wolf can out camp us and I think is our biggest threat character in our same tier area. He definitely feels anti-Marth and many believe him to be anti-Snake as well. I’d say this is potentially in Wolf’s favour.

Middle;
- Zelda/Sheik - Zelda is not so flashy but can put a bee in our bonnet. I’m not certain of the match up. Sheik is seen to have the advantage in melee; and I have had issues with sheik players before. I think the matchup is around even for both, but I’m very open.

Low - PKMN trainer is three in one and as a whole is not advantageous against us. However Charizard has high damaging attacks with super armour that is comparable with DK, who I can gauge as potentially favourable in the match up, hence why I feel the trainer can also give us issues.

We as a community need to prove we can outclass all of the above to really push ourselves into the top tier. Are you manly enough to do it?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Marth's superior match-ups mean that he SHOULD NOT be below any character with inferior tournament results then he has. Certain characters do fair better in the current environment then Marth does, in spite of his strong overall match-ups (because of MK), and they can be placed above him, e.g. Snake.

But, the fact that he would be the most likely contender for best character with MK gone says something.

Also, why aren't all of the sacred 7 in high tier, barring MK? Snake is the most justifiable, but he isn't shaping the entire competitive scene, MK is. The rest... no just no, none of them have any business being in top tier.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Guys....why so serious?

For the record...there is a bit of Marth bias in the SBR. Simply because of two things.

1) He doesn't outright wreck any characters except the sucky ones.

2) He has no gimmicks like a CG to rely on that could mask his wekanesses

Falco for example has some serious weaknesses but his CG mask those weaknesses to an extent. Marth has no such quality.

Also I don't argue for Marth back there, because I don't really care. lol.

But going by match-ups and tourney results he really can't be lower then 5th. That's just a fact.

So don't sweat the list too much.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Guys....why so serious?
Let’s put a smile on that face!

For the record...there is a bit of Marth bias in the SBR. Simply because of two things.

1) He doesn't outright wreck any characters except the sucky ones.

2) He has no gimmicks like a CG to rely on that could mask his wekanesses

Falco for example has some serious weaknesses but his CG mask those weaknesses to an extent. Marth has no such quality.

Also I don't argue for Marth back there, because I don't really care. lol.

But going by match-ups and tourney results he really can't be lower then 5th. That's just a fact.

So don't sweat the list too much.
Seems to be a bit of a community bias as a whole.

But he does have some nice gimmicks, they're just more character specific then a lot of other characters' gimmicks.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No matter how you look at it.

ROB has no business being above Marth.

Nor Falco either.

Marth is 5th.

SBR tier list is ok. But I have seen much better ones on the whole.

They also overestimate Bowser.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
i agree with emblem lord about Rob and Falco but i still think that G&W should be lower than marth even though its harder to pick up marth than it is G&w... 5th is a good spot but 4th is my wishful thinkin

∫unk

Smash Master
Honestly the character ranking system is the only objective way to look at "tiers".

I don't really see a point in establishing a list in any other way other than solely by tournament results.

D

Deleted member

No matter how you look at it.

ROB has no business being above Marth.

Nor Falco either.
That's kind of debatable at best. ROB dominates everyone without a sword kinda hard, and Falco does amazing vs non-MK top tiers (Snake and DDD especially).

Falco also has good tournament representation from chillindude829.

I'm proud of you guys though. You're way better than the melee marth board, where melee marth is clearly the best character but 90% of the marth mains *****ed about marth not being good enough. Big improvement here.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Max, wtf I'm the same ***** I was back then.

Marth has no hard counters but has very match-ups where he *****.

ROB and Falco DO have hard counters BUT they also have match-ups more where they **** people.

Tournament results aren't debatable though.

Marth is far more consistent then ROB and slightly more consistent then Falco.

D

Deleted member

sorry the 2nd half of that post wasn't @ you but to the board. I always thought the melee marth board was ridiculous and having misc weirdass posts from m2k ken azen didn't help much.

and ya hes def more consistent than falco but you don;t need consistency w/ counterpicks for diff **** matches.

marth is good as **** in brawl but I think he's good @ top of high too.

on the plus side you guys will be able to put him to top next time pretty easy. marth started high tier in melee too.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
sorry the 2nd half of that post wasn't @ you but to the board. I always thought the melee marth board was ridiculous and having misc weirdass posts from m2k ken azen didn't help much.

and ya hes def more consistent than falco but you don;t need consistency w/ counterpicks for diff **** matches.
Then why does marth have better tournament results in general then they do?

Realistically speaking, Marth's match-up spread is the second best in the game, his rankings are quite consistently in the top 5, and having to draw on secondaries is a disadvantage.

marth is good as **** in brawl but I think he's good @ top of high too.

on the plus side you guys will be able to put him to top next time pretty easy. marth started high tier in melee too.
Who said he belongs in top?

I'm just pointing out that he's better off then Falco and ROB.

There's one character that really deserves top tier, MK. Snake too if you stretch it, if only because of his good results. But the gaps in current performance are just too great to justify any other character for top tier.

Within high tier though, Marth is higher then Falco and ROB.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I guess my post was tl;dr.

Pretty much I summised a list of characters that are holding us back from being higher. Our main issues relate to projectile users. But we can take something from being the second highest rated non-projectile character. First if you would consider MK's specials as projectiles :p

I'll also restate I think our current position is fine and dandy. And the reason why we are where we are because we just don't **** characters as much as the higher ones do.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Marth should have made top teir. Marth is better than 3 of those top tier characters at least. Maybe even better than ddd too. But ROB? WTF?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth just doesn't **** people that hard.

He beats everyone that's below him no question.

It's just that he doesn't beat them badly. Mostly it's just 60/40 advantage, with some 65/35's and 70/30's here and there. There are only maybe 2 80/20's vs abysmal characters like Ganondorf.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
EL basically nailed it. Just compare Marths match-up's with Falcos...

Marth has the advantage against Wolf. Falco destroys Wolf
Marth has the advantage against DK. Falco destroys DK
Marth has the advantage against Wario. Falco destroys Wario

...just to name some higher tiered characters (and not counting Bowser, Link or Yoshi)

Top tier would be correct for Marth but Falco > Marth is justified

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think Marth and DK go even.

Anyway, I think that movelist wise Marth is better and I think his match-ups are more solid in that no one owns him while Falco does have a match-up or two where he gets owned.

It really depends on what you put your emphasis on.

Desire

Smash Journeyman
I say falco is better thn marth.
No, RoB is amazing. But I dont think ROB is better thn marth. i also think DK should be on top tier.
Marth should be on 6th

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
I actually don't think Marth's match ups are as good as they're made out to be.

He tends to go even with most. I don't believe he has a clear cut advantage over 70-80% of the cast (mk-like teritory) like people here suggest. Only characters he really ***** are crap ones that you don't see at high level play anyways.

I'd say he has 2 bad match up where he's at a 6:4 disadvantage while going pretty even with the rest.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I actually don't think Marth's match ups are as good as they're made out to be.

He tends to go even with most. I don't believe he has a clear cut advantage over 70-80% of the cast (mk-like teritory) like people here suggest. Only characters he really ***** are crap ones that you don't see at high level play anyways.

I'd say he has 2 bad match up where he's at a 6:4 disadvantage while going pretty even with the rest.
So you're saying all the 6:4 match ups (marth favor) he has should be switched to even? >_>

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
@Steel

No, not all of them. But come on, his match up chart is as good as MK's is. Marth doesn't **** the cast like that, especially other higher tier characters. And I disagree with MK being Marth's only bad match up. He one more IMO, which is DDD.

He does have an advantage against a lot of the lower characters, though.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
@Steel

No, not all of them. But come on, his match up chart is as good as MK's is. Marth doesn't **** the cast like that, especially other higher tier characters. And I disagree with MK being Marth's only bad match up. He one more IMO, which is DDD.

Look at the characters we have done so far in the index. Which characters that are 6:4 should be even do you think? D3 goes even with Marth. And his bad match ups are Meta and Snake. Marth doesn't **** all the characters like we have said, but he certainly has an advantage on a good amount of them, even if it is just a 10 point difference.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
@Steel

He ***** most of the cast?

News to me, Mk's match-ups are basically, "the opponent is lucky if you only have a 6/4 advantage against them", whereas Marth is mainly composed of competitive matches where he has a slight advantage against the opponent.

Actually Marth IS a great deal like MK, except without the flight and a few other differences, MK is just ultimately better at being Marth then Marth is. It makes sense that their match-ups are very similar.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ultimately their basic play styles are the same. They have different nuances about them and Marth has a slightly stronger defense while MK has stronger offense.

Still alot of their basic traps, rushdown tactics and baiting tactics are the same.

And no Marth is still Marth. MK is MK.

They have similar styles, but MK has a more powerful moveset backing him up as well as better attributes.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
MK also has attacks that have almost no lag (Dsmash) that can kill, and some of his moves have great knockback (Up-B as you are making the loop). you can also glide with MK, and his Dtilt has better range and he is a better gimper and has a better recovery.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
MK also has attacks that have almost no lag (Dsmash) that can kill, and some of his moves have great knockback (Up-B as you are making the loop). you can also glide with MK, and his Dtilt has better range and he is a better gimper and has a better recovery.
Yep the list goes on and on....<_< (I hate MK)

At least we have tipperz :laugh:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Copied and pasted from the SBR tier list thread on GameFAQS. I made this post in that thread.

Also allow me to give some insight on what I think about tiers.

The way I see it is like this.

The moment a fighting game is made, there is already a tier list and the match-ups already exist. It's up to us as the players to find out why certain characters are better then others and who has advantage/disadvantage in certain match-ups, but all that stuff already exist within the game.

The match-ups and tier list don't ever change. It's just that as more time goes on and players find out more information perspectives change and the community gets ever closer to the actual tier list and actual match-up list that is already present within the game.

You might say glitches and AT's change tiers..and I would say...

The glitches already exist we merely find them out. What I'm saying is that the true tier list takes all these things into account. Let's say that Snake and MK are the best beyond a shadow of a doubt. Well the moment the game was finished those two were the best. And even though we may see that now, we as the players had to figure out why.

We didn't make them the best. They were ALWAYS the best is what I'm saying. Players don't create tier list or match-ups so to speak. We merely discover the reasons why the tier list is the way it is or why certain match-ups are the way they are.

Also I think there should be two tier list at all times. A theoretical list that is based on match-ups. This would be our attempt at a "perfect list".

And a tier list that represents our current realistic metagame and is based on tournament results.

To that end I think we have already achieved this.

SilverFlashes list seems to be an attempt at a more "all things considered" perfect list that is more match-up based.

The SBR list seems to be purely tournament result based from what I can tell.

The tier list for Street Fighter: Third Strike also uses this two tier system BTW.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I like your idea EL, it's very interesting and I've never thought about anything like that before... Good points.

@ZMT: Yes, at least we have the tipper, lol.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
bahhh...so...Wario?? Super Armor? How about his almighty Wario Waft?

I think Wario is a good fight for Marth in some aspects. If his bike was more predictable, you could counter, but he can control the speed. Obviously you can't gimp him because of the bike also, and his recovery = amazing.

Wario can fart on smart bombs and get out of that sh*t, assuming he's fully powered up. it does like, 50% in one hit, and ALSO works as recovery.

His air game is decent, nothing to be extremely worried about, but his dair and fair are definitely good, i'm not saying they contest Marth's ariel game though.

What was I saying again? Oh yeah, why are we underestimating Wario? we should at least get a character discussion going, get some closure on his attacks and movements.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Get Wario to about 70 something.

Grab release tipper.

That's the match-up.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
if anything i would say wario is overrated alot of the time. alot of people on allisbrawl think he's top 5 -__-

marth beats wario solidly **** his air game with fairs and marths big arcs. sh back and spam aerials and watch out for boostsmash, also if you predict the bike and you hit him out of it he's dead and the fully charged fart is the weak version of the fart in terms of knockback. just stay level with him and he cant touch you. his ground game sucks except fsmash and ftilt and bite is annoying. thats about it

hes really nothing special, good but not amazing

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I find Wario's air movement really unpredictable, even though you can just nair or fair him, its still annoying and can mess up people that arent ready for it.

Also Marth's Up b beats Wario's Fsmash? I faced a Wario yesterday and I used up b on his fsmash and for some reason he took the hit. Maybe I hit him before his super armor activated, maybe I broke through it:)

Ryan-K

Smash Master
um the only thing that breaks through super armor is grabs.

warios fsmash has super armor for like 2 frames right before the hit so he doesnt have it on startup

of course up b beats it YOU'RE INVINCIBLE WHEN USING IT lol

if you aren't ready for warios mobility then you just don't know the matchup. that has nothing to do with it that has to do with bein prepared for obvious threats

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
No, I was asking is dolphin slash a strong enough move to beat Wario's fsmash super armor? Because I dont want to be trying it if it doesnt work. I know I cant be hit during the start of the up b, but Wario was damaged from my move, so Im confused.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
No, I was asking is dolphin slash a strong enough move to beat Wario's fsmash super armor? Because I dont want to be trying it if it doesnt work. I know I cant be hit during the start of the up b, but Wario was damaged from my move, so Im confused.
That's what super armor is, they take damage but don't get any knockback.

Top Bottom