• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
^ Read Rule #8 of the Smashboards Global Rules. ;) (Same thing applies with single posts.)

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
This is a bit of a stretch but could we have a smash backroom commentary to go with this? I'd love to see why the smash backroom placed certain characters over others and what they think of the 17 characters that haven't been covered yet.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
M3D said:
Metaknight
Snake
King DDD
Mr G&W
Falco
ROB

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
DK
Diddy
Pikachu
IC
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zamus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Shiek

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Cptn. Falcon
I'm completely satisfied with Diddy's placement.
Especially in relation to other characters in the list.

Props to the SBR.
I really agree with this list.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Mario should NOT be low tier. Middle at least.

I didn't know Falco was perceived so high already. I though it would take more time.

RupeeClock

Smash Ace
Let's see...

Lucario: High
Pikachu: High
Luigi: Middle
Toon Link: Middle

My mains did pretty well, listed in order of usage.

It's a shame to see Falcon suddenly go from Upper-high in melee to bottom.

AfroThunder396

Smash Cadet
Personally I think Diddy and Pit are a bit high while Toon Link and Mario are lower than they should be.

What in particular made you rank Marth outside the rest of the big 7?

Foxy

Smash Master
I'm confused as to why people respond with an emotion related to a character's position. It's just an observation of the character's viability, it doesn't mean anything... there's nothing to be happy or sad about. It's just weird.

Discussing what you think of the actual placement though is fine.

Yamer

Smash Journeyman

2. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment. So yes, maybe Yoshi is a beast in teams or Ganon is REALLY good with items turned on... but this list measures somethingd different than those things.

4. This list might change with time. It is based on how we perceive the game to be and play it competitively NOW. However, if a replacement for l-canceling is discovered or new tactics cause the game to evolve over time, this list could change. So if you main a character that isn't near the top, keep playing and evolving their game. You might be the one, like Chu Dat's Ice Climbers back in Melee, that cause people's opinions to change.

Hrmm ICs have the potential to kill you off of one grab... okay they are below pikachu makes total sense. ^_^

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hrmm ICs have the potential to kill you off of one grab... okay they are below pikachu makes total sense. ^_^
You also have to consider the other aspects of Pikachu's metagame---QACs, awesome camping game (yes, I said it; Pikachu can camp like a pro), and many of his other beefed up attributes (down b can kill and it has shaved-off lag? DAYUM). The ICs really don't have that much going for them aside from the CGs. De-synching isn't as readily available as it was in Melee and is actually a teensy bit more difficult to pull off.

Smooth Criminal

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
its mainly because of his **** chain grabs, among other things.

I think many seem to underestimate Dedede as an overall character too beyond his grab. It's not like he'd suddenly suck without it, he's a pretty good character. He certainly wouldn't have been as high without it but I think he still would have done pretty decently by himself.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
this list is pretty accurate. some pple might debate DDD but im sure hes that good.

i thought u guys would wait at least 8 months into the game. some high tiers are debatlebale in the order but epic stuff here

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers also have a pretty lousy approach, mediocre grab range, and can only chain grab when they are near enough to eachother. Pika on the other hand has excellent approaching tools (Quick attack cancel and some good aerials) good defensive skills, good edgeguards, and a few chaingrabs of his own (mostly on the heavier characters). Overall he's better than climbers.

Does the BR have any intention of letting us know why the tier list is arranged like this? I think that if the tier list is to be useful we need that information. Particularly I'm curious as to the placements of Sheik, Luigi, and Bowser who seem way higher than tournament results would place them. (I know tournament results are not the only thing that go into the tier list. I want to know what exactly the positive things they have going for them are to counteract the awful (especially luigi) results.)

I'm also curious as to PT's placement. I think the rankings for the individual pokemon are significant. You do have to use all three Pokemon but its relatively easy to make the switch. But anyway my point is this. As a PT main I try to spend as much time as Charizard as possible as I feel he's the best. Someone else may choose to focus mainly on Ivysaur. So I feel that a PT mainer who specializes in Charizard would be higher tier than a PT mainer who uses mainly Ivy. (assuming Charizard is better than Ivy.)

I'm not sure that made sense so I'll phrase it another way. If you already got my point you can stop reading.

Because you have a degree of control over how much you use each character individual tier placement for each pokemon is relevant perhaps along with an overall rating.

Yamer

Smash Journeyman
You also have to consider the other aspects of Pikachu's metagame---QACs, awesome camping game (yes, I said it; Pikachu can camp like a pro), and many of his other beefed up attributes (down b can kill and it has shaved-off lag? DAYUM). The ICs really don't have that much going for them aside from the CGs. De-synching isn't as readily available as it was in Melee and is actually a teensy bit more difficult to pull off.

Smooth Criminal
You're right the ICs don't have a super priority ice cloud to approach with or a fast moving forward B that pops characters up for an easy usmash/air. They can pretty much only play pattycakes. :laugh:

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
I have to say, I never expected the SBR to release a tier list this early. Nonetheless, the list seems okay; I can live with it. Bowser & Link suprised me a little though. One thing I would suggest is to put MK & Snake (with DDD possibly) in their own god tier. Likewise, there needs to be a bottom tier too. This list implies that Brawl is more balanced than it really is.

btw I loved the responses in the gamefaqs thread.

majora_787

Smash Hero
20 pages in one day? Wow.

I mained top tier the second time already. Amazing, I have superluck.
But I do think that Fox could rise up to the top with D3, MK, Snake, and ROB possibly. Depends on if he beats Falco.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You're right the ICs don't have a super priority ice cloud to approach with or a fast moving forward B that pops characters up for an easy usmash/air. They can pretty much only play pattycakes. :laugh:
Wait for it...

Ice Climbers also have a pretty lousy approach, mediocre grab range, and can only chain grab when they are near enough to eachother. Pika on the other hand has excellent approaching tools (Quick attack cancel and some good aerials) good defensive skills, good edgeguards, and a few chaingrabs of his own (mostly on the heavier characters). Overall he's better than climbers.
This. Tien explained it better.

Smooth Criminal

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Why are so many people questioning why there is no "bottom tier". The bottom tier is the same as low tier! I mean do you want them to just change the name or what?

The last people on the tier list are on the bottom, makes perfect sense to me..

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
afro im pretty sure it's partly because although Marth is good, many guides/intelligent posters said: he has nothing broken. I totally agree with that. he's good in pretty much every aspect, but he has nothing broken. I guess thats why. well his range is long but that doesn't exactly count. disjointed hitboxes doesn't really count for what im talking about. He has only 1 AT so far too and such.

But he does have many good matchups and that should make him a bit higher. If i recall correctly, one of the reasons, and i think it was a big reason, why Shiek in Melee was High Tier above Marth was because of her abillity to dominate the low/bot tiers (idk if she dominated mid too or not), although she really isn't to good against high tiers or top tiers like Marth. And thats also why if you didnt realize/notice/know you almost never see a Shiek in a tourny in the finals.

what you mean gamefaqs thread? theres a thread here on SWF or on gamefaqs (i guess this is a dumb question). ill check out what they r saying/thinking over at GameFaqs sometime soon :)

and may be CF is bottom now cus sakurai nerfed him on purpose because if you do enough epicness like Knee of JUSTICE or Falcon PAWNCH then it will scare your opponent and you will be able to deliver JUSTICE PAWNCHES freely and so you can dominate your opponent. So Sakurai might have been scared that he'd be too imbalanced in his EPIC proportions and had to nerf him as much as possible. Obviously his plan didnt exactly work since he's still EPIC. :)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
afro im pretty sure it's partly because although Marth is good, many guides/intelligent posters said: he has nothing broken. I totally agree with that. he's good in pretty much every aspect, but he has nothing broken. I guess thats why. well his range is long but that doesn't exactly count. disjointed hitboxes doesn't really count for what im talking about. He has only 1 AT so far too and such.

But he does have many good matchups and that should make him a bit higher. If i recall correctly, one of the reasons, and i think it was a big reason, why Shiek in Melee was High Tier above Marth was because of her abillity to dominate the low/bot tiers (idk if she dominated mid too or not), although she really isn't to good against high tiers or top tiers like Marth. And thats also why if you didnt realize/notice/know you almost never see a Shiek in a tourny in the finals.

what you mean gamefaqs thread? theres a thread here on SWF or on gamefaqs (i guess this is a dumb question). ill check out what they r saying/thinking over at GameFaqs sometime soon :)

and may be CF is bottom now cus sakurai nerfed him on purpose because if you do enough epicness like Knee of JUSTICE or Falcon PAWNCH then it will scare your opponent and you will be able to deliver JUSTICE PAWNCHES freely and so you can dominate your opponent. So Sakurai might have been scared that he'd be too imbalanced in his EPIC proportions and had to nerf him as much as possible. Obviously his plan didnt exactly work since he's still EPIC. :)

edit: i also actually like how theres no Bottom Tier. It makes the bottom chars not look as sucky, which is sort of important to some of those ppl who will look at Tier lists and say: UGH bot tiers, i will never play them. ooh top tiers I will master them! Also its nice since Brawl is still young and therefore there isn't as much suckiness/pwningness and so it doesn't really need another Tier yet. And also this is their first Tier List so it may have helped them in grouping the chars by not having so many categories to sort them in.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yamer calm down. yes ic's have a decent way to approach and control the map, however they are still far too slow to establish any dominance. i can see them doing well against mk, gw, or marth because they lack projetiles... but a character like snake can doom ic's and never be grabbed with his stage domination.

AfroThunder396

Smash Cadet

That makes sense, I was just a little confused because there's a significant gap between 'the big 7' and the next best character Wario. It seemed like they should all be grouped together.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Wow, this came out pretty fast. I didn't realize Falco was regarded so highly in the SBR o_O

I thought he would be right below Marth in high tier. Also, I gotta say Link is much lower than I expected. The list looks good to me, though.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
darn it double post oops! and i agree with choknater, they have sweet Infinite Chain Grabs and such but there are many ways to avoid it. And also to do the CGs, or at least most of them, you will need Nana to be close to you at all times, which is usually easy for the opponent to separate the two of you.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
20 pages in one day? Wow.

I mained top tier the second time already. Amazing, I have superluck.
But I do think that Fox could rise up to the top with D3, MK, Snake, and ROB possibly. Depends on if he beats Falco.
I don't think Fox can rise to match falco

Life After Death

Smash Champion
That makes sense, I was just a little confused because there's a significant gap between 'the big 7' and the next best character Wario. It seemed like they should all be grouped together.
LOl the best player in FL is AFROTHUNDA why is there another. he lives up to his name the question is do you? i wanna see pics of that afro now ****er

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
In my whole hearted opinion....You guys hit the nail on the head. But...I have some remarks.

1. Captain falcon should be AT LEAST switched with Link. I'm not being biased because i'm trying to main him, I just think that Falcon is the better character.

2. I don't think Falco should be that high. Granted, he is good, but I don't think he's THAT good.

3. I really think you guys underrated Lucas and Ganondorf. Lucas has amazing potential and hopefully he'll rise up to at least high mid/low high. In regards to Ganon, again same thing, but he probably won't move up as far.

Great starting tier list guys!

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
LOL @ you ******* makeing a list for, not only a game that wasn't made to be competive and had game elements put in it to make it a non competeive PARTY game, but also because the game has been out for less than a year.

Tier lists are made so theres as little debate as possible(as well as to cut back on spam).

The only sure shot chance at a good list is to make a top 5 and leave the rest alone.

The Brawl SBR fails worse than the Melee SBR.

I'm not trolling/flaming/ect.

It's the truth, you guys are morons.

Also, LOL @ Brawl.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
This is actually a pretty accurate list. The only things i would say are wrong are pit is too low, and.....well that's basically it. GJ on this list SBR, way better than the stage list you made.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Life After Death i loled at your post :D

and lol smashbot226. I AGREE.

But here's what you should type instead.

"You're too 'low!"

:)

(cus he's saying 'low instead of slow)

anyways...

agentJGV, about Lucas having potential, just don't forget that this Tier List was made for what they are now, not how much potential they have.

@StripesOrBars: ...WTF... DONT FLAME. You're saying u lol at them, well i bet all the people who read your post will lol at you. Ok you said you're not flaming but its at LEAST similar to a flaming post.

smashbot226

Smash Master
LOL @ you ******* makeing a list for, not only a game that wasn't made to be competive and had game elements put in it to make it a non competeive PARTY game, but also because the game has been out for less than a year.

Tier lists are made so theres as little debate as possible(as well as to cut back on spam).

The only sure shot chance at a good list is to make a top 5 and leave the rest alone.

The Brawl SBR fails worse than the Melee SBR.

I'm not trolling/flaming/ect.

It's the truth, you guys are morons.

Also, LOL @ Brawl.
I can't read Internet sarcasm that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom