• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutter

Smash Champion
Gamefaqs mods trigger-happy? If they were trigger-happy, I wouldn't be seeing so much spam flood the forums all the time.

@ SBR: Could you guys give indepth explanations on why Character X is where they are? I don't want explanations on guys like MK, Snake, and CF because we all know why they are where they are, but it would be nice to hear explanations for DDD, G&W, Olimar, Ike, Link, and Bowser for starters.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
Which is precisely why Tournament Results at this point in time should be significantly less of a factor than pure Matchups, Potential and Metagame. The game is still fairly new. Give it at least a few more months before anything decisive can even begin to be made. I mean, honestly, the game hasn't been out for a year yet!
Speaking of which, has anyone noticed how lagless Luigi is in the air? He's like a monster. I swear, it's annoying. >_> Of course, not as annoying as Lucario or Snake, but still. lol

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
Gamefaqs mods trigger-happy? If they were trigger-happy, I wouldn't be seeing so much spam flood the forums all the time.

@ SBR: Could you guys give indepth explanations on why Character X is where they are? I don't want explanations on guys like MK, Snake, and CF because we all know why they are where they are, but it would be nice to hear explanations for DDD, G&W, Olimar, Ike, Link, and Bowser for starters.
Trigger happy as in they'll Mod everything that's marked regardless of relevance. Also, nobody marks all the crap for some reason. >_>

M.K

Level 55
I thought Game and Watch beat out King Dedede?
Other than that, I agree.

p.s. I think we should watch Pokemon Trainer. He has the most untapped potential, and Low Tier is really just a placeholder until people start to play him more seriously, right?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
How, exactly, is Bowser as high up as he is?

1) First problem: Camping. He can't camp, and he's arguably one of the easiest characters, if not THE easiest character to camp. He's a huge target, has no reflector or anything like that, no long range projectile, very slow movement speed, and poor jumping. At least characters like Captain Falcon can attempt to charge forward with quick movement speed and better jumps.

On the flip side of the coin, he can't camp himself. Fire breath obviously doesn't have the range and he obviously doesn't have the speed to run up and breath down on them with fire.

2) Second problem: Recovery. It sucks. Ike's is better in a lot of circumstances. His fall speed isn't making things easier either.

3) His attacks: Obviously, he is fairly strong. However, attack power means squat if you can't hit anything. While he has more range on his attacks then say Jigglypuff, but he doesn't have any disjointed attacks besides firebreath. The range on his other attacks are around average. As for his attack speed, his strongest moves are slow. As in, barely faster then Ike's smashes slow. His next strongest ones have some speed, but not fast enough that they can't be seen coming and blocked. Attacks with good speed on them don't have much in the way of knockback or good range with the exception of his AA attack.

4) Match ups: They suck. I don't think I really have to explain this one.

5) Stages: Due to his slow speed and poor jumping/recovery, he would be easy to counter pick. Simply pick a stage that is either big, requires a fair bit a jumping, or a combination of the two. And he doesn't really have a stage that puts him at an advantage over anyone. BF and SV are the closest things to a good stage for him, but thats simply so he can use the platforms to avoid camping.

6) Tournament Results: They ain't exactly stellar. >_> E ranked IIRC.

Before anyone asks, yes, I am from GameFAQs. However, I'm not a mindless fadder from there. I simply want to know the logic behind such places. While I do have other issues with the tier list, I'll stick with what I feel is the biggest problem, and see what reasoning I am given.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman

Well funny thing is that they do seem trigger happy with some things, but are completely oblivious or just uncaring to others. Like a person will get a notice in record time for saying a single questionable word, but ten or so seethingly obvious flamebait threads filled with all sorts of vile stuff will go unnoticed. Maybe it has to do with how they find this stuff...?

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
p.s. I think we should watch Pokemon Trainer. He has the most untapped potential, and Low Tier is really just a placeholder until people start to play him more seriously, right?
I'd like to think so, but the fatigue and forced cycling really makes it a pain in the ***. The most effective Pokemon Trainers will be the ones who can master all three characters. That's a very big commitment, considering how with the energies it takes to master PT you could invest on MK, Snake, and KD3. Not to say PT is a waste of time. I agree he can move up later in time.

P.S. How do I become a Smash Debater?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I actually took a look at their list, and it really doesnt look that bad, just some shuffling around of chars. but they have bowser listed as low tier..... I just cant agree with that part.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Yes. PT has all 3 weight classes, so it would probably be the best thing for anyone who could play all three classes. That isn't to say that each Pokemon was perfect. I still sturggle with Ivysaur. But PT is no doubt the most underused character, still with potential.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I also think Pokemon Trainer has a lot of real, untapped potential. He's a close second to my main (which is only just beginning to realize HIS potential), and I think he's actually incredibly versatile. Forced switching and stamina have never been a huge deal to me once I learned to be a little more strategic with how I plotted my matches out.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I don't know why so many people are surprised at Bowser being mid. He doesn't suck as much as some people may think.

pensfan728

Smash Apprentice
Wow. This came out fast. I think the list is decent, I just want to know why characters are where they are.

j.rob

Smash Apprentice
Lucas...........low

Damm

Oh well. that just encourages me to pwn with him even more.

Lucas players pull your socks up!

LUCAS WILL RISE!!!!! HE WILL RISE I TELL YOU!!!!!

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol @ teh tear list. Let's see...

1) Lol at Sonic's spot and how he's placed lower than Yoshi and Samus. Interesting.
2) Marth, solid character, hi on da list, killin it as expected.
3) Luigi gets no love in the character ranks, and yet still pulls out Middle Tier. **** Mario!
4) Lucario kills it as well, as he should. Aura roxxxx.
5) Ike has a nice position on the list. (soon to replace Mk on my starting five)

Overall, it seems pretty accurate. There's a couple of shifts I think should be made, and then there are some characters I know little about, so yeah, I like it. The official list. Cool.

edit: does anyone think this will change in about two or three months?

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Alright! From this day on, I will learn EVERYTHING about Ganon, and one day, will jettison him out of bottom tier! YOU'LL ALL SEE!

goohst

Smash Rookie
As a lurker on Smashboards, I have to say, the GFAQS' points (Bowser, Marth, Link, Luigi) make sense, and I have yet to seen anyone refute them with legit points. Bowser literally has nothing going for him, yet he is way higher than slotted. The only argument I've seen is an easier infinite jump, which has been known since Jesus on a Dinosaur, used in tourneys, and still produced bad results. I'm dissappointed in the dismissals of points because they come from GFAQS when we claim to be smarter, but then don't respond.

Arash

Smash Lord
4. This list might change with time. It is based on how we perceive the game to be and play it competitively NOW. However, if a replacement for l-canceling is discovered or new tactics cause the game to evolve over time, this list could change. So if you main a character that isn't near the top, keep playing and evolving their game. You might be the one, like Chu Dat's Ice Climbers back in Melee, that cause people's opinions to change.

5. That said, don't give up hope! Just because your character isn't ranked at or near the top, doesn't mean you can't do fantastic things with them with enough talent and effort. We do not publish this list to encourage players to change their main tournament character. If anything, it should serve as a challenge to take the game to the next level.
seriously, a bunch of kids in here

EDIT: also, the weekly character discussions have good insight on what the SBR thinks, you should look into it sometime;)

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
inafterwowthiscameoutfasteightthousandtimes

Oh, and the tier list, I think I speak for Emblem Lord when I say WTF.

kr3wman

Smash Master
As a lurker on Smashboards, I have to say, the GFAQS' points (Bowser, Marth, Link, Luigi) make sense, and I have yet to seen anyone refute them with legit points. Bowser literally has nothing going for him, yet he is way higher than slotted. The only argument I've seen is an easier infinite jump, which has been known since Jesus on a Dinosaur, used in tourneys, and still produced bad results. I'm dissappointed in the dismissals of points because they come from GFAQS when we claim to be smarter, but then don't respond.
Bowser has tools he can use to wins, but he is too reliant on them to win consistently. however, His tools are more effective than the tools of those under him.

Marth does badly against those in the top tier, and since those are the majority of the characters you are going to see in tournaments Marth is a little lower than people thought he was.

Link has of the crappiest recovery options, crappy anti-edgeguard options and his kill moves are slow as ****. He does well in the lower percentages where he can chain attacks together, but against quicker characters than him (IE : Tons of other characters) he has trouble killing them.

I find Luigi's place good. Why are you disagreeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom