• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
Honestly though, basically Toon Link just needs more tourney points right? All I see he's missing is easy finishers. He's a jack-of-all-trades. I don't understand why he isn't seeing more tourney use. He's a G&W counter, isn't he? Use Toon Link more people. He's so cool.

I'm glad to see Pika is high up. :D

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Didn't expect Lucas or PT this low. Oh well, nice to know Pika and Kirby are high up.

This'll be a helluva weapon at tournies. Use some low tier guys, then switch to a high tier guy. Now I just need to FIND a bloody tourney to go to and I'm good.

Also, like the fact that Lucas, Kirby, PT, and Pika generally have very different playing styles.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This list fails. I don't care who made it. DDD has too many weaknesses to be that high, Sheik/Zelda isn't listed, and wtf at Ike in mid tier.

Bombco101

Smash Journeyman
Oh God there's so many n00bs at GameFAQs getting all pissy. It's good to know the Smash Back Room decided to release the tier list early. However, I have to ask about some things. Toon Link is mostly Middle because there's not a lot of tourney data with him, right? The only real problems I see with him is that he has a hard time finishing sometimes and his spacing isn't as good as Marth's.

What exactly is the formula for calculating the tier list anyway?

Once again, thanks SBR for releasing the tier list early.
85%+ of the people complaining are under 16.

Roller

Smash Legend
honestly, I don't have nearly as many complaints with this as I thought I would, though I woulda added an additional tier at the top for snake and MK.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
Send a message via AIM to DanGR

This list fails. I don't care who made it. DDD has too many weaknesses to be that high, Sheik/Zelda isn't listed, and wtf at Ike in mid tier.
XD, I'm guessing you're coming from GameFAQs? Sure they are a few weak points in the tier list, it's just a first draft. However, it's an effective and pretty solid overall picture of where characters fall. King DeDeDe doesn't even have that many weaknesses, and you failed to provide any. Also, you didn't take into regard his strengths. As for you Ike comment, I can't tell if you want him higher or lower, but all I'm going to say is that the only place for him to go from here is pretty much down.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
tires dun exit

I would place Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard seperately.

Also a bottom tier is in order...ya know, for the few that deserve it :(

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The lack of a bottom tier, and larger top and high seems that Brawl may be more balanced. Hopefully it will be like many other fighters where low tiers can beat high ones.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I would've thought that Wolf would be ranked higher than what he was given. Also, I would've thought that Lucario would be ranked middle at best since its only at its top potential when it's about to get KO'd and is behind.

Mario being ranked low doesn't make too much sense since he is the most balanced fighter in Brawl. Lucas deserves way better than low.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
The lack of a bottom tier, and larger top and high seems that Brawl may be more balanced. Hopefully it will be like many other fighters where low tiers can beat high ones.
Actually the bottom tier hasn't been formed yet because the lower you go on a tier list the more tricky it gets to sort. The top tier is probably going to be divided up eventually. Also, Brawl is much more imbalanced than Melee, so not to be a pessimist, but don't expect much much more.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Hmm... It's good for the most part, though, I feel that a few characters are not placed well at all. Or rather, it's more along the lines that I know they arn't placed well, but no one ever listens to me so I might as well not bother making any points.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Hooray for Kirby!

After all these years of oppression, he can finally have happiness!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I think a lot of the people from there are raising very valid complaints (and yes, I also go to GameFAQs) that should be addressed. For instance:

Gemini77752 said:
D3 and Falco are both above Marth as far as tournament results, suggesting these are the main basis of the list.

Wario is above D3 and Falco, R.O.B. is below Marth, suggesting Tournament results aren't as influential. Also, Luigi has FAIL tournament results, but still places in mid tier?

Then we take a look at matchups.

Marth has two poor matchups, against Metaknight (But then, who doesn't have a bad matchups against MK?) and R.O.B.

D3 has many, MANY poor matchups (Including one against Ike of all people), R.O.B. has three poor matchups (Still worse than Marth), and Falco has four poor matchups (Albeit having multiple Largely Adventageous matchups.)

At the very least, R.O.B. has no reason to be above Marth, D3 is equal to Marth at best and Falco... may or may not be above Marth.

The logic behind the list doesn't make sense. So, no, I'm not simply biased toward Silverflash, his lists simply seem to include more factors on a fair basis than this list. (If it's mostly matchups, Marth should be Top, D3, Falco and R.O.B. should be High. If it's tourny results, Luigi should be Low, R.O.B. should be High again. Last, if it's pure Metagame, Link, Bowser, Etc. All have horrible placements.)
And another would be...

KakashiXSensei said:
Marth for example has better everything than Falco. Bowser on the other hand, has a worse everything than some people below him. (Moveset/Tourny Result/Matchup). And to make it worse, unlike the other non-official list, they don't show how the come to the conclusions, which makes it almost a certainty that they have personal preference being used.
Just as a couple of examples. I think they should be addressed, because in spite of how well (relatively) Yoshi did this time out, there are still a lot of valid questions as to how these conclusions came about. Whether they come from here, GameFAQs, DDRFreak, or anywhere else is irrelevant.

Bombco101

Smash Journeyman
Bowser's placement is the biggest shock about this tier list. LOL.
I actually juts tried bowser recently, I was honesly surprised at his skills.

I'm saying it's fitting actually, but a lot of tier lists placed him low so that may just have influenced everyone.

and it's not like it's impossible to change the list.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
At the end of the day though, what dictates a lot of this is how well a character does at tournaments.

If you truly think a character should be higher, you're just gonna have to go to a tourney and try it for yourself.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
I would be complaining about Link's placement but now i have all the more reason to whoop high tier tushy ^_^. Aww well, hopefully Link will evolve into a scary force. If nobody shows Link's worth, then i'll be the one- <remember izaw>.....never mind

LINK FTW!

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I must say, traveling over to gamefaqs, I haven't seen that much hate in a long time. It's pretty funny to read, actually. Obviously I could nitpick a placement or two, but when it comes down to it, it's a solid list.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
At the end of the day though, what dictates a lot of this is how well a character does at tournaments.

If you truly think a character should be higher, you're just gonna have to go to a tourney and try it for yourself.
Luigi proves that this isn't the case. His tournament results SUCK ***, and yet that doesn't seem to have effected his placement.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Nice list. I agreed with pretty much everything, except toon link of course who I think should be high, but he hasn't won many tournaments so I understand where you are coming from.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
It's a fairly decent list. And it's reflective at least of what we've been seeing in the competitive field and such.

But wow, are the masses going to complain.

Amide

Smash Lord
Two problems: Ike middle tier? Come ON. There were characters in low that are better than Ike, (PT, Jiggs, Lucas etc.) Ike isn't bad though. He's bad at a high level of play. Also, MK deserves his own tier. Rob is NOT in the same league as Meta Knight.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Luigi proves that this isn't the case. His tournament results SUCK ***, and yet that doesn't seem to have effected his placement.
Well I guess he's either not doing as bad as you think, or that's something legit to ask about.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I must say, traveling over to gamefaqs, I haven't seen that much hate in a long time. It's pretty funny to read, actually. Obviously I could nitpick a placement or two, but when it comes down to it, it's a solid list.
It's NOT just blind hate. Very valid points have been raised about how these conclusions were reached.

If they're primarily based on tournament results, Luigi is WAY too high.

If they're based on match-ups, then DeDeDe is way too high.

If it's based on character metagame, then Link is way too low.

If it's a combination of those things, just what is the ratio you're factoring in?

Just because the "masses" are "hating" on this list doesn't mean they aren't raising incredibly good points. Since we're all watching anyway, why don't you put these worries to rest and explain these factors?

kr3wman

Smash Master
It's NOT just blind hate. Very valid points have been raised about how these conclusions were reached.

If they're primarily based on tournament results, Luigi is WAY too high.

If they're based on match-ups, then DeDeDe is way too high.

If it's based on character metagame, then Link is way too low.

If it's a combination of those things, just what is the ratio you're factoring in?

Just because the "masses" are "hating" on this list doesn't mean they aren't raising incredibly good points. Since we're all watching anyway, why don't you put these worries to rest and explain these factors?
Of course it's based on a combination of the factors. The SBR know their stuff. Same thing for all the other fighting games.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey man chill, all I said was hate in general. And the list is based off a group of elements, not just one.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, these aren't reflective of any of those levels. But to be honest-- did you really think they would be?

This list isn't even close to final. It's pretty much a projection at this point. I take it with a grain of salt. So should you.

And please don't try and defend GameFAQs.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
This list is pretty much accurate excpet Yoshi isn't low tier (but his placement is to be expected, we'll learn about him in the future), Neither is Ness, Link is better than Sonic, Jiggs, and Samus, and I'd also consider Fox for high tier. Other than that, good list.

I'm impressed that the BR realized that Peach wasn't low tier.

Dahlaine

Smash Cadet
Why would you complain about your main not being higher? Being the underdog rocks!

So I'm kinda sad I play Lucario, wolf and toon link. I agree with their placements though, wolf and toon link could be higher but not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom