• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I was addressing the "tiers are for queers" guy. Obviously that's WHY M2K 3 stocked Azens Ike. Because Ike has NO CHANCE against Metaknight at the pro level.
I know you were. I'm just stating my thoughts on Ike.

I think that all has more to do with NOBODY PLAYING Yoshi. So people aren't use to fighting him, therefore making it a difficult matchup. If you don't know what to expect, it's going to be harder.

I will say that Yoshi does have quit a few nice tricks on MK, and saying he isn't one of the better Matchups vs. MK would probably be wrong. But saying he's the Hardest non ditto matchup is not even close. >_>
True, but I recall Pride and M2K used to play regularly (I think, might be someone else) before Pride quit brawl, and they usually had close sets. Plus I think anyone who is professional should know by know what Yoshi can and will do, no matter how underplayed he is.

Plus the general conclusion of the MetaKnight boards say that Yoshi and/or Diddy are his worsts.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I thought Zelda was well known to be disadvantaged though, even Zelda mains say so.

A bit of a divide there.

Edit: I didn't see the High Level part, but aren't all matchup threads based on the highest level of play?
Yes.

But for for practical purposes, match-ups like this tend to screw over a character's rankings.

Source plox? I've never heard this.

I think MK's hardest matchups go something like this.

1.Metaknight
2. Snake
3. Wario
4. Diddy
5. Falco
6. Lucario

I might move around Wario, Diddy or Falco depending on the player, but these are the character that seem to have beaten PRO metaknights in finals at tourneys (SK92, Ninjalink, Futile/Reflex, Azen).
*bolding added

Phail, Snake is a 60-40 disadvantage to MK... no way he's MK's hardest non-mirror match-up especially when MK has neutrals.

I think that all has more to do with NOBODY PLAYING Yoshi. So people aren't use to fighting him, therefore making it a difficult matchup. If you don't know what to expect, it's going to be harder.

I will say that Yoshi does have quit a few nice tricks on MK, and saying he isn't one of the better Matchups vs. MK would probably be wrong. But saying he's the Hardest non ditto matchup is not even close. >_>
How do you figure, this was debated on a purely technical level by the boards, it wasn't something that tournaments were consistently showing (cause Yoshi is so underplayed...). They might be wrong, but it would be an issue of technical specifics, not an underplayed character having the surprise factor.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ihate to repeat myself but the only character, who has a truly neutral match-up vs MK is MK himself

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Ihate to repeat myself but the only character, who has a truly neutral match-up vs MK is MK himself
Quoted for truth.

By the way, does anyone beleive all of the characters down to Olimar are viable even with Meta Knight around?

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Well, I thought they could have used more tiers. 4 tiers seems pretty weak given the cast is much bigger than Melee's. I think there are some gaps in characters they could have used multiple tiers for(like Top Tier: MK only). We all know no one else fits in the same tier as MK.

OverLade

Smash Hero
*bolding added

Phail, Snake is a 60-40 disadvantage to MK... no way he's MK's hardest non-mirror match-up especially when MK has neutrals.
Meh, I agree with you for the most part. IN GENERAL Snake has the advantage, definetly, I won't deny that. But at the pro level Metaknight always wins (M2K and DSF have developed playstyles that **** snake players). As far as potentialwise, if both players were as absolutely pro as possible, Metaknight would win every single time.

But in general, Snake counters Mk the best, don't get me wrong. But I personally dont have trouble with snakes in general unless they're some of the best.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
I completely disagree with link being second to last. I say he should at least be middle tier, donkey kong shouldn't be so high and ike should be top tier but everything else seems acurate

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I completely disagree with link being second to last. I say he should at least be middle tier, donkey kong shouldn't be so high and ike should be top tier but everything else seems acurate
Donkey Kong should be that high, know why? All of his smashes come out fast, they can KO at really low percents, He's a heavy weight, all of his specials are extremely useful, and he does well in tournaments, Ike should stay where he is, Hes slow, has poor-ish? recovery, and is easily juggled around. Link does deserve to be higher up, His dair has extreme versatility, and his bombs are deadly, but his recovery is not that good.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Meh, I agree with you for the most part. IN GENERAL Snake has the advantage, definetly, I won't deny that. But at the pro level Metaknight always wins (M2K and DSF have developed playstyles that **** snake players). As far as potentialwise, if both players were as absolutely pro as possible, Metaknight would win every single time.

But in general, Snake counters Mk the best, don't get me wrong. But I personally dont have trouble with snakes in general unless they're some of the best.
In low levels of play (aka where MKs jump into the ****) Snakes can easily eliminate MKs, it's the same for DK. But match-ups are in terms of the top levels of play, and at the top levels of play Snake is certainly NOT MK's toughest match-up by far.

Basically, Snakes eliminate weak MKs easily, but falls to good ones with relative ease.

Surprised? Everyone knew metaknight was gonna be at the top from the first month.
Nah, it was Snake that everyone thought, then people started pointed out that MK was what was causing Snake to win, then people starting pointing out MK has the advantage in the match-up, and suddenly it was obvious MK was the one and only top tier.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Actually the first few weeks, the hype was all about characters like...Pit lol. Most people thought Snake was too slow and had too poor an air game to really excel, (well, he still has a poor air game). This was before people started discovering ways to abuse his insane ground game.

Wafles

Smash Lord
A year from the launch would've been more appropriate to make a tier list, there are simply too many arguments right now as for the characters to be accurately displayed in a order list.

Like it's been said, the metagame is still evolving.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
most metagames have become stagnant. there are a few nice tricks here and there maybe some gimmicky AT's now and then. but most metagames have already come to a slow. stagnation.

anyway...

adumbrodeus you're saying its up to the player. Tier list is based on character potential not player potential. people who keep bringing up LEVEL OF PLAY is BASED ON THE ACTUAL PLAYER THEREFORE is IRRELEVANT.

a tier list shows potential.

to someones point. you can't use tournament rankings to define the list. It helps slightly, but it is the least important factors. I say this, because if the entree % of characters such as snake and MK are high therefore the CHARACTER has a higher % chance of placing? am I wrong?

The tier list is based on the metagames of each character and how their match ups correspond.

THAT IS WHY...

I disagree with few points in this tier list.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
A year from the launch would've been more appropriate to make a tier list, there are simply too many arguments right now as for the characters to be accurately displayed in a order list.

Other fighting game communities do their tier lists in similar time frames. A Brawl tier list in 7 months is fine. Tier lists are supposed to evolve with the meta game. A tier list that reflects the current meta game is a good start.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman

The metagame is still evolving. This is the metagame in its current state.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
adumbrodeus you're saying its up to the player. Tier list is based on character potential not player potential. people who keep bringing up LEVEL OF PLAY is BASED ON THE ACTUAL PLAYER THEREFORE is IRRELEVANT.

a tier list shows potential.
Which was my point...

I was not suggesting that we use anything below the top level of play to judge the tier list or match-ups, I am merely explaining tournament results.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Bias anyone? Who do you think doesn't deserve to be above Sonic (inb4Bowser)
Nobody. Sonic deserves to be lower than Falcon IMO. He's just bad. No kill moves, no priority, light, and no projectiles. The only thing he has going for him is speed, and speed alone a high-tier character does not make.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
Nobody. Sonic deserves to be lower than Falcon IMO. He's just bad. No kill moves, no priority, light, and no projectiles. The only thing he has going for him is speed, and speed alone a high-tier character does not make.
Wow. Lower than Falcon? Falcon have totally no combo ability while Sonic seems to have some. And even if he lacks killing power, Sonic deserves very well to be higher than Falcon. He is the trash character of brawl.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Wow. Lower than Falcon? Falcon have totally no combo ability while Sonic seems to have some. And even if he lacks killing power, Sonic deserves very well to be higher than Falcon. He is the trash character of brawl.
Sonic is horrible. And maybe I DID overstretch a bit by saying Falcon, I still think Sonic is utter garbage.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Not lower then Falcon but possibly lower then characters like link.
Sonic has nothing but speed, which alone isn't very good.
No priority, no kill moves , no weight and no projectiles are a reason he belongs below link.
Link has all of those, just not sonics speed.

-:bowser:Bowser King

-__-

Smash Ace
Brawl isn't about tiers.

Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.

Those aren't top tiers. Those are the most used characters. This game isn't about how good a character is. It's about how smart the player is. If your telling me King Dedede is top tier but gets ***** by Jiggz, Peach, Yoshi, kirby, and maad low tiers then a tier list is BS... thats rite ITS A BASIC SAUSAGE. Seriously just take this thread down. theres no point in having a list of the most played characters....

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
He's primarily a gimper, but he has downsmash, upsmash, fsmash, dair, and (I believe) bair.

He doesn't have no priority at all, sure he's doesn't have infinite priority, but he far outstrips Falcon in that department, and he has a number of moves which can outprioritize other characters moves.

And he does have a projectile, what do you call the spring from upb? Granted, it isn't utilized in the same way as most projectiles... but it certainly has it's uses.

And you forgot that he has a nearly ungimpable recovery.

So... no, just no, this is just an incredibly biased statement.

Also, check the icon, I'm a marth main and sonic isn't even one of my secondaries.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
After a full spring and summer of competition, the SBR felt as though it was time to take the first stab at a tier list for Brawl. Before I post it, let me remind you all of a few important things:

1. DanGR is the sexiest man on earth. This is fact. Don't refute it. We don't care if you disagree.

2. Tier placement doesn't necessarily reflect your ability to beat your friends with a specific character. You might beat your friend's Metaknight with Sonic, but that doesn't mean Sonic is top tier. It means you win that matchup against your friend. Tiers are not absolute measurements of match outcomes.

3. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment. So yes, maybe Yoshi is a beast in teams or Ganon is REALLY good with items turned on... but this list measures somethingd different than those things.
The tier list is a "measurment of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment," which factors in tourney results too?

Sbr, what's your definition of potential? Merriam-Webster defines it as...

"1: existing in possibility : capable of development into actuality <potential benefits>
2: expressing possibility ; specifically : of, relating to, or constituting a verb phrase expressing possibility, liberty, or power by the use of an auxiliary with the infinitive of the verb (as in “it may rain”)"

So the potential of a character is what the character is capable of developing into? So... basically we're talking about how good they should be in the future?

Well, here's some things that no Olimar player has yet to come close to mastering.
-pikmin lineup tactics
-pikmin specific kill percentages
-pikmin specific combos and strings
-pikmn specific juggle traps
-pikmin specific priority and endurance
-his recovery options
-whistle usage
-pivotgrab usage
-tilt usage (which is largely ignored)
-pikmin throw aiming
-spacing on defense and offense
-and outcamping the characters that many Olimars
give up on trying to outcamp even though they can! (Snake, Falco, and Rob are the notables)

Is the sbr saying that even when all of these are mastered, Olimar should still be in mid tier? I think the sbr needs to take out the part about potential in the OP. Realistically speaking, potential is too hard to measure, even by the sbr- if that's what they're trying to do of course.
10blue letters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom