• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Meta's toughest matchups, from hardest to easiest:

Meta Knight
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Mr. Game & Watch
Snake
Falco
Donkey Kong

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't know why ppl always think, that Diddy is among MKs worst match-up...it's actually the other way round

Umby

Smash Master
You only say this because you are a Sonic main. It's a common truth that the character you main is should be higher tier in your eyes. I am the same way with Kirby.
This is false. I actually don't care where Sonic is right now, as it's still pretty low, as I expected. I'm actually one of the only Sonic mains on these boards that actually isn't complaining about his position on this list. However, for you to say that speed is the only thing Sonic has going for him is incorrect and I will call it out as such.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
So how do you guys feel about Robotic Operating Buddy's placing on the tier list?

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
You only say this because you are a Sonic main. It's a common truth that the character you main is should be higher tier in your eyes. I am the same way with Kirby.
You'd be surprised. I actually think Wolf should be lower.

So how do you guys feel about Robotic Operating Buddy's placing on the tier list?
I feel it's well justified. Though, if I had my way with it, I'd switch him around with Marth, not because ROB is worse, but because Marth is better.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Nobody. Sonic deserves to be lower than Falcon IMO. He's just bad. No kill moves, no priority, light, and no projectiles. The only thing he has going for him is speed, and speed alone a high-tier character does not make.
I expect posts like this from random scrubs, not people who most of the time act with intelligence such as yourself.
Sonic has no kill moves. Granted, kinda. Fsmash will kill mid weight characters (like Marth) from the centre of Final Destination at 110%, 135% with full DI. Dsmash will kill at 140% with full DI, and bair at 150% I think, though it star KO's at a lower percent if they DI upwards in mid air. I've star KO'd characters like Ganon and Dedede at under 100% with uair. None of these are particularly hard to land. Killing is not an issue for anybody good.
No priority. Only a few of Sonic's moves have really bad priority, the rest have pretty decent priority. Sonic has 3 attacks that give him useful invincibility frames too. Priority's not as bad as people make it out to be, have you even played as Sonic, ever?
The light thing just made me disregard that you had any knowledge of Sonic at all, aside the bullshit that parrots still randomly spout often without any justification or actual information. There are 20 characters lighter than Sonic. TWENTY. If Sonic's light, that makes everyone else paperweight, right? He's an upper middle weight along with Mario, actually.
And he has one projectile, which REALLY messes with some characters offstage.

Know what you're talking about next time, or don't post.

:011:

Barge

I expect posts like this from random scrubs, not people who most of the time act with intelligence such as yourself.
Sonic has no kill moves. Granted, kinda. Fsmash will kill mid weight characters (like Marth) from the centre of Final Destination at 110%, 135% with full DI. Dsmash will kill at 140% with full DI, and bair at 150% I think, though it star KO's at a lower percent if they DI upwards in mid air. None of these are particularly hard to land.
No priority. Only a few of Sonic's moves have really bad priority, the rest have pretty decent priority. Sonic has 3 attacks that give him useful invincibility frames too. Priority's not as bad as people make it out to be, have you even played as Sonic, ever?
The light thing just made me disregard that you had any knowledge of Sonic at all, aside the bullshit that parrots still randomly spout often without any justification or actual information. There are 20 characters lighter than Sonic. TWENTY. If Sonic's light, that makes everyone else paperweight, right? He's an upper middle weight along with Mario, actually.
And he has one projectile, which REALLY messes with some characters offstage.

Know what you're talking about next time, or don't post.

:011:
His combos are extremely predictable though, and he doesnt have much power =/

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You'd be surprised. I actually think Wolf should be lower.
Someone who agrees with me! Yey!

I personally think Wolf should be somewhere around Upper Mid (that is, anywhere above Fox. Wolf is a better character in many regards than he is). I'm not so sure how Olimar and Toon Link stack up against him. I'm curious to see what you guys (re: the Olimar mains, the Wolf mains, and the all around more experienced people) think.

And as far as Brawl mains are concerned, I'm happy with the SBR's placement of Fox. I'm not going to sit here and spout off this nonsense that he should be cruising along somewhere higher in the tier list. I'm well aware of what he can and can't do.

Smooth Criminal

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sonic isn't predictable. The person you're playing is.
Find some Sonic main who doesn't repeat the same routine over and over again like a mindless robot.
And I don't get where people get the notion that he has bad power. In what area, exactly?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, it's OK. However, I don't understand how he can be an enitre tier above Marth...

and Wolfs place is 100% spot on

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Meta's toughest matchups, from hardest to easiest:

Meta Knight
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Mr. Game & Watch
Snake
Falco
Donkey Kong
I'd move GaW down a bit, but otherwise I'd say that's pretty accurate.

I don't know why ppl always think, that Diddy is among MKs worst match-up...it's actually the other way round
You fail. It's an approximately even (slight advantage for MK at best) match-up, so it's certainly not his hardest when Diddy has match-ups more than slight disadvantages for him (like Falco).

I haven't seen anyone argue against where he is. O_o

Edit: Gheb just did. :O

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Sonic doesn't have that much trouble killing. Forward and down smash are good from anywhere and back air is good at edge guarding. Sheik and Diddy Kong are far worse but Diddy's bananas make up for it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You fail. It's an approximately even (slight advantage for MK at best) match-up, so it's certainly not his hardest when Diddy has match-ups more than slight disadvantages for him (like Falco).
It's 60:40 for MK. Diddy has no worse match-up than that afaik. Maybe falco but that doesn't change the fact, that MK is one of Diddys harder match-up.

Besides, saying that Diddy is MKs 2nd hardest match-up is a joke

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Sonic doesn't have that much trouble killing. Forward and down smash are good from anywhere and back air is good at edge guarding. Sheik and Diddy Kong are far worse but Diddy's bananas make up for it.
See, I understand what you're trying to say, but that's inaccurate. Sonic's difficulty killing is a disadvantage for him. Unless he gets a good gimp off the side, he needs to get characters much higher than most would to kill.

However, most people seem to be confusing difficulty killing with an inability to kill...

It's 60:40 for MK. Diddy has no worse match-up than that afaik. Maybe falco but that doesn't change the fact, that MK is one of Diddys harder match-up.

Besides, saying that Diddy is MKs 2nd hardest match-up is a joke
I'd say 55-45.

Either way, who would you say is more difficult for MK?

And yes, I suppose he is one of MK's hardest, thoug I wouldn't say he is THE hardest.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Someone who agrees with me! Yey!

I personally think Wolf should be somewhere around Upper Mid (that is, anywhere above Fox. Wolf is a better character in many regards than he is). I'm not so sure how Olimar and Toon Link stack up against him. I'm curious to see what you guys (re: the Olimar mains, the Wolf mains, and the all around more experienced people) think.
My thoughts exactly (even down to the characters who I think rival his placing...perhaps I have a criminal mind?). I'm no Wolf expert, but I suppose I can give my opinions on the matter...

The problem with Wolf is he's very two dimensional, and there are not many styles that can be used effectively, thus, he becomes predicatable. You're either a campy Wolf or an offensive Wolf, there isn't much difference in playstyle. As time goes on, people will begin to develop strategies around his own strategies, and Wolf will become much less of a threat.

He has some problems killing, surprisingly. :/ His best, easiest to land moves are often both his best damage rackers and one of his kill moves (read: Fsmash). The only way he can get kills is by knocking his opponent completely off the map. If they survive, there's a very good chance they'll make it back (unless they have crappy recovery...Link) since Wolf's off-the-ledge/edgeguard came is pretty **** bad. This really limits the use of his dsmash (his best kill move) since if the dsmash doesn't outright kill the opponent, they're coming back.

I shouldn't have to say that his recovery is balls, as it's been said countless times before, but really, it is. I might even go as far as to say it's even worse than Olimar's, considering how fast Wolf falls and how easy it is for him to be gimped (by both humans and himself). His Up-B REALLY hates the edge, and its really effing annoying when you're within breathing distance of the ledge and Wolf doesn't grab it.

Match-up wise, Wolf doesn't have too much. He has a few good match-ups against a some of the higher tiered characters (i.e. DK), and can be a good pick if you want to outcamp someone, but he doesn't really hard counter anyone, and it REALLY doesn't help that he's at a disadvantage against practically the entire Top Tier (with maybe the exception of Snake).

Probably said something wrong in there (feel free to correct me), but that's pretty much Wolf's bad side in a nutshell. And Olimar and T.Link (T.Link especially) just have more good attributes (and less bad ones) that put them above Wolf. :/

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sir Bedever, you really need to take a closer look at Wolf. Wolf is far from being "two-dimensional". He's on of the most versatile characters in the game, alongside Toon Link...

D

Deleted member

I think Marth and ROB need to switch, and have Kirby moved down (High tier, are you serious?) But, other than that It looks great.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Kirby is High Tier no doubts about that but Marth and ROB belong in the same tier as GaW, Falco and DDD

Barge

He's used more often than Pit or the ICs, who are both higher...
I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk being flamed.
I find Pit very easy to win with, even if you dont spam with him, especially in Free for alls, I dont even like playing as pit/am good with him, and I usually win with him, Hes so easy to use ><

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I think Pit sucks.
I'm going to be honest and say I can't think of a single good aspect of his game.
Any character who can space and pressure against him absolutely **** him.
And he can't kill, and this is coming from a Sonic main.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
@Barge

So what? That has no influence on the tier list

@Roy

Pit has a good recovery and Edgeguarding game not ti mention great projectiles.

Barge

@Barge

So what? That has no influence on the tier list

@Roy

Pit has a good recovery and Edgeguarding game not ti mention great projectiles.
It might, Metaknight is easy to play, which is one of the reasons everyone uses him, and since pit is high tier, that may prove that it does as well, ability to play a character can affect their tier placement.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
He has a VERY interceptable/gimpable recovery.
His edgeguarding game isn't great. It's not going to gimp anybody with a half decent recovery, but it racks up a bit of damage I guess.
And last time I checked he had one projectile, lol.
They're not a nuisance though. Then again, I use Sonic against Pit, and you can't arrow spam him.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I think Pit sucks.
I'm going to be honest and say I can't think of a single good aspect of his game.
Any character who can space and pressure against him absolutely **** him.
And he can't kill, and this is coming from a Sonic main.
He's got a spammy projectile, a regular A spam, a reflector shield, wings, what DOESN'T he have? [/brawltaunts]

And I do agree that Pit is bad. He gets completely pwned by anyone with a projectile or floaty-hops.

Percon

Smash Lord
My thoughts exactly (even down to the characters who I think rival his placing...perhaps I have a criminal mind?). I'm no Wolf expert, but I suppose I can give my opinions on the matter...

The problem with Wolf is he's very two dimensional, and there are not many styles that can be used effectively, thus, he becomes predicatable. You're either a campy Wolf or an offensive Wolf, there isn't much difference in playstyle. As time goes on, people will begin to develop strategies around his own strategies, and Wolf will become much less of a threat.

He has some problems killing, surprisingly. :/ His best, easiest to land moves are often both his best damage rackers and one of his kill moves (read: Fsmash). The only way he can get kills is by knocking his opponent completely off the map. If they survive, there's a very good chance they'll make it back (unless they have crappy recovery...Link) since Wolf's off-the-ledge/edgeguard came is pretty **** bad. This really limits the use of his dsmash (his best kill move) since if the dsmash doesn't outright kill the opponent, they're coming back.

I shouldn't have to say that his recovery is balls, as it's been said countless times before, but really, it is. I might even go as far as to say it's even worse than Olimar's, considering how fast Wolf falls and how easy it is for him to be gimped (by both humans and himself). His Up-B REALLY hates the edge, and its really effing annoying when you're within breathing distance of the ledge and Wolf doesn't grab it.

Match-up wise, Wolf doesn't have too much. He has a few good match-ups against a some of the higher tiered characters (i.e. DK), and can be a good pick if you want to outcamp someone, but he doesn't really hard counter anyone, and it REALLY doesn't help that he's at a disadvantage against practically the entire Top Tier (with maybe the exception of Snake).

Probably said something wrong in there (feel free to correct me), but that's pretty much Wolf's bad side in a nutshell. And Olimar and T.Link (T.Link especially) just have more good attributes (and less bad ones) that put them above Wolf. :/
I'd disagree with you about the two-dimensional thing. You said wolf is either very campy or offensive... why can't he be a blend of both? Wolf has the luxury of being able to be both offensive and defensive, which not too many characters have. He's also got tools for dealing with a lot of things - a reflector that doubles as a counter, a fantastic projectile, great air movement, and a touch of unpredictability... I think if the right mixups are employed, a wolf player could overwhelm opponents easily. He often has more options than many characters.

Now, I'm making wolf sound better than he is, to be sure. But there's potential there.

HOWEVER, Wolf gets owned by a lot of stuff. Two two fiercest and most dreaded chaingrabs in the game (DDD + Falco) both work super well on Wolf. Not to mention Sheik and Pika cause tons of problems... even some low tiers have stuff they can do to wolf that just ****s his recovery. Not only that, but I find Wolf's grab game to be terrible. Aside from fthrow occasionally, I can find hardly anything to do out of his throws (except maybe dthrow for 12%... YAY). His bthrow sends them UP for goodness sakes. At least his grab attack is fast (though I'm pretty sure it doesn't count towards stale moves)

I personally feel that grabs are going to become more and more important as time goes on... and Wolf will be left in the dust. So yeah, Wolf will drop a bit unless some player does extremely well with him using an unheard of playstyle (it'll probably revolve around the reflector if it happens).

Oli and TL will both rise above him in time. Even though olimar's recovery is horrendous, he's not as "screwed" against too many characters. Both have great versatility and good grabs (great in Oli's case)

Just my two cents

Barge

He's got a spammy projectile, a regular A spam, a reflector shield, wings, what DOESN'T he have? [/brawltaunts]

And I do agree that Pit is bad. He gets completely pwned by anyone with a projectile or floaty-hops.
well, his balls havent dropped.

And no, his side B is a reflector, his shield is a reflector, why would he get completely pwned by anyone with a projectile?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Characters like Marth **** him hard because he zones Pit so easily because of Pit's bad range.
He's not much better in the air, either.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
well, his balls havent dropped.

And no, his side B is a reflector, his shield is a reflector, why would he get completely pwned by anyone with a projectile?
Recovery. If he gets hit, he can't use his Up B again, and projectiles are a very low-risk way to gimp his recovery.

Barge

Recovery. If he gets hit, he can't use his Up B again, and projectiles are a very low-risk way to gimp his recovery.
Oh, I thought you meant on land, Yeah, his recovery is easily gimpable. Try to travel to the other side then.

........ yeah right

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Bias anyone? Who do you think doesn't deserve to be above Sonic (inb4Bowser)
Yoshi, Samus, and Pokemon Trainer.

Nobody. Sonic deserves to be lower than Falcon IMO. He's just bad. No kill moves, no priority, light, and no projectiles. The only thing he has going for him is speed, and speed alone a high-tier character does not make.
Sonic's kill moves: Bair, F-smash, D-smash, Uair (off the top). But Sonic focuses on edgeguarding and easy gimps. The best moves for this are up B, dair, bair, fair homming attack, and nair.

Side B is invincible for the initial hop, and thus goes through every attack in the game that's not invincible as well. Sonic's uair outranges G&Ws key! Bair and Fair have rediculous range as well (bair, moreso than Fair). ASC has great priority, and f-smash is extremely disjointed and great for beating attacks. This "Sonic has no priority" thing is complete bull****.

Sonic is actually a medium weight, with one of the best recoveries in the game to boot.

Not lower then Falcon but possibly lower then characters like link.
Sonic has nothing but speed, which alone isn't very good.
No priority, no kill moves , no weight and no projectiles are a reason he belongs below link.
Link has all of those, just not sonics speed.

-:bowser:Bowser King
Up B spring is actually a great projectile for gimping. Not to mention that Sonic can get out of pretty much every bad situation by simply up Bing.

Also, Link's recovery and fall speed makes him die a lot quicker than Sonic. His lack of speed also makes it harder to land hits with him. Not to mention that Link's projectiles aren't very good (neither is Sonic's, but at least Sonic's is great for gimping).
Barge said:
ASC->fair does 27ish damage, has great priority, and is a true combo (no airdodge for you!)
In fact, SC, SD, and ASC all link into Sonic's aerials. And even without that, Sonic still has amazing juggling with fairs and uairs to rack damage quickly, and a great d-throw tech chase. Sonic's approaches are far from predictable, considering he can basically cancel his approach anytime he wants. ASC, and SD are shield cancellable (you can jump and airdodge out of either one as well), you can simply airdodge/up B after a spin shot, ect.
Commander Blitzkrieg said:
I say this because I know the character well enough to realize that the stereotypes about him are untrue and simply scrubbish remarks made after brawl's release. Having a high learning curve does not make a character bad (points at Fox in melee). Sonic is and always will be a low tier character. But 33rd is completely unreasonable, especially considering his tournament results put him as 26th

edit: I wouldn't go so far to say that Pit is "bad." It's just that he doesn't really seem to shine...anywhere. His camping is great, his recovery is great, but everywhere else he just falls short. He doesn't rack damage quickly, he doesn't kill quickly, he's got sub-par range, his aerials aren't particularly quick, his edgeguarding is far from lethal, ect.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Oli and TL will both rise above him in time. Even though olimar's recovery is horrendous, he's not as "screwed" against too many characters. Both have great versatility and good grabs (great in Oli's case)
QFT my friend :) Especially Olimar, considering I always see him being used in tournies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Uh, no. Captain Falcon has no chance of beating MK. The tier list is based on the highest level of play, maximum potential. MK played at highest level, knowing the matchups, doesn't lose to garbage characters.
You see, your problem is your wrong. Heck, it says it in the first post
2. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment. So yes, maybe Yoshi is a beast in teams or Ganon is REALLY good with items turned on... but this list measures something different than those things.
Potential. See, Better Capt. Falcon can beat Meta-Knight. The Captain Falcon is the better player. The definition of tier are a ranking of the characters that when skill is equal the higher tier character should win. You can see many other competative fighters from other games beat high tier characters with low ones. It doesn't mean that 100% of the time Meta-Knight will beat anyone lower. That's just plain stupid.

Again, it's you believing the tier list is the holy bible and it must be right (despite the fact itt will change a heck of a lot). The tier list is a guideline. The chances two players will meet up and be of the exact same skill level and have non conflicting styles of play is almost impossible. Remember this

1)Finding two people with the exact same skill level where their styles don't conflict and the stage give no advantage to a character pretty much aint going to happen. Even if you are a lower tier, you can win

2)Tier list are a vicious cycle. The characters who are the most popular end up on top, and the top characters become more popular. In a few years, the bottom will get bigger and bigger and the top small and smaller. Most of the time metagame will have nothing to do with it. It's becuase the low guys will be ignored.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
1.What your saying is not new by any means. Of course a low tier character can beat a high tier character if the player is significantly better than their opponent. But many times with bottom tier characters like Falcon, the skill gap required is simply not feasible in high level play (as the Metaknights would actually be...good).

2. Yes people will flock to the good characters because they are playing to win. But others will also be desperately looking for counters to said character, as mastering a counter for the most popular character in the competitive scene would greatly improve your chances of winning. The only problem is...Metaknight has no counters (so far, but I doubt much will change. He may just get a few more even matchups). Using any character other than Metaknight will just be putting yourself at a matchup disadvantage. Though some people will do it anyway, because Metaknight simply doesn't fit them and they really do preform better with a different character, most can simply practice with Metaknight and preform better than they would with any other character.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
1.What your saying is not new by any means. Of course a low tier character can beat a high tier character if the player is significantly better than their opponent. But many times with bottom tier characters like Falcon, the skill gap required is simply not feasible in high level play (as the Metaknights would actually be...good).
Knowledge of the character is something that will go a long way. A captain Falcon that knows Meta-Knight's should be their greatest fear, not DK. You know DK, but in a game like Brawl (one without game defining techniques) that knowing what the opponent will do means all the difference.

Trust me. I played Melee how Brawl is played now. No AT or anything. And the greatest factor was I was able to read the characters. I knew what they would do and what will come next. The weakness was when I fought a character I normally didn't fight. So throw Snake and Meta-Knight for a loop and play Pokemon Trainer ;)

2. Yes people will flock to the good characters because they are playing to win. But others will also be desperately looking for counters to said character, as mastering a counter for the most popular character in the competitive scene would greatly improve your chances of winning. The only problem is...Metaknight has no counters (so far, but I doubt much will change. He may just get a few more even matchups). Using any character other than Metaknight will just be putting yourself at a matchup disadvantage. Though some people will do it anyway, because Metaknight simply doesn't fit them and they really do preform better with a different character, most can simply practice with Metaknight and preform better than they would with any other character.
Well, for one, a lot of the higher characters are counters. So this greatly influences the tier list (a major reason why it is inaccurate).

The truth may be that a low character is a counter. But, again, only 5 characters will be known. The rest will be considered to suck like the person I quoted earlier. Again, this is why the bottom grows so fast. If you see a bottom develop without any new techniques discovered, this is the reason. The low characters may be a counter.

"But Smashchu. The top players tested the match ups. They can't be wrong". Oh, but they probably are. You see, when you first started up Brawl, you probably found a character you liked. So you played him and ignored most of the cast. This is what many people will do in a game with numerous characters. They find out who they like and use them. So, even if you test the match ups, you are going to be better or worse with some characters. And if you have a set play style, this will skew the results even more. The only way they can be accurate is if you have some people who are good with the entire cast and have them play. But then you may have questions like the skill levels of the players, and the play styles of those players. The only 100% accurate way would be have someone who is good with all the characters and knows them play himself.

You may claim that more people make these accurate, but if everyone did them incorrectly, then they will just be more incorrect. The truth is that a tier list is a guideline. There kis going to be some constancy with how strong the cast is, but since popularity greatly skews all results, it can never be perfect.

What this means is what OP said. Don't be discouraged that your favorite character is low. Instead, see this as a challenge. Even in Melee, many players broke the rules and won with lower characters. In many other fighting games, low characters beat out higher ones. Smash has the problem that everyone sees the tier list as fact. So rather then trying to defy it (and doing so) they fallow it. Meta-Knight will be see as better then he actually is (becuase everyone uses him and he naturally wins tournaments becuase of this) and every other character as see as weak. Thus, the bottom tier gets bigger and bigger, with many of the characters being seen as worse then they are.

In conclusion, go out and play with your favorite character, even if they are lower. You may find you'll win simply becuase of ignorance of your characters, or how good it really was.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Preaching to the choir man.:laugh:

I'm well aware that character knowledge is important. What I'm saying is that, the opponent is expected to be knowledgable of your character as well. It's not a one way thing.

Also, not a single character has an advantage over Metaknight. Many are even still arguing about his neutral matchups being neutral at all.

And lower tier characters beating higher tier characters...does not mean that the higher tier characters aren't still better. They could have a matchup disadvantage against that one low tier, or the other player may just be that much better than them. A Metaknight being beaten by a Captain Falcon, does not mean that Metaknight is not still the best character in the game and Falcon not still the worst.

Tier lists are a ranking of characters from best to worst. Nothing more, but nothing less either. Metaknight is the best character, Falcon is the worst, and no amount of player skill is going to change that. The Falcon player will always have to work harder than the Metaknight player, because he is simply playing as a worse character.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm well aware that character knowledge is important. What I'm saying is that, the opponent is expected to be knowledgable of your character as well. It's not a one way thing.
It is.

The thing is if you've never played a Link, or a Pokemon Trainer, you wont have an idea how to fight them. Now, you'll know how to fight a R.O.B. or a Wolf; you fight them all the time. If you've never, or rarely, fought a character, you have no way to anticipate or counter their attacks.

The low guys will mainly play the high guys (becuase that is what is popular) so they will know what to anticipate and counter their attacks. Basically, if they are good enough, it can be very one sided.
Also, not a single character has an advantage over Metaknight. Many are even still arguing about his neutral matchups being neutral at all.
I know that. This is exactly what you said in the last post.

I suggest you look over my post again, and read every single word. If your just saying the ame thing then it proves that you hoped in with a predetermine response, and ignored anything I said.
And lower tier characters beating higher tier characters...does not mean that the higher tier characters aren't still better. They could have a matchup disadvantage against that one low tier, or the other player may just be that much better than them. A Metaknight being beaten by a Captain Falcon, does not mean that Metaknight is not still the best character in the game and Falcon not still the worst.
Again, read my post. Never did I imply that Meta-Knight was not top, nor that a low their characters beating a high tier moves them up in the tier list.

What I said was this "A low their character may have a match-up advantage against a higher character. Because popularity is a strong determining factor to who is 'the best' that the match ups are never going to be 100% accurate. Like wise, becuase the low tiers are virtually ignored it will remain unknown if they have potential against higher characters".

Again, read my earlier post (yeah, I know, it's long). If I were to type responses, I would have just repeated everything I've said before.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Knowledge of the character is something that will go a long way. A captain Falcon that knows Meta-Knight's should be their greatest fear, not DK. You know DK, but in a game like Brawl (one without game defining techniques) that knowing what the opponent will do means all the difference.

It is.

The thing is if you've never played a Link, or a Pokemon Trainer, you wont have an idea how to fight them. Now, you'll know how to fight a R.O.B. or a Wolf; you fight them all the time. If you've never, or rarely, fought a character, you have no way to anticipate or counter their attacks.
Top level players will know how to fight them, or at least have the ability to come up with a suitable strategy after a match against said player. And the top tier characters have more than enough tools to simply create devestating traps and brickwalls while the player figures out how to fight against said low tier.

The low guys will mainly play the high guys (becuase that is what is popular) so they will know what to anticipate and counter their attacks. Basically, if they are good enough, it can be very one sided.
Yeah, for like a match or two. But typically the low tier characters already have a disadvantage against the high tier character, so the lack of knowledge of the high tier player mearly evens the matchup or tips it slightly in the more knowledgable player's favor (temporarily).

Well, for one, a lot of the higher characters are counters. So this greatly influences the tier list (a major reason why it is inaccurate).
I'm not exactly sure what you meant by this, please elaborate.
The truth may be that a low character is a counter. But, again, only 5 characters will be known. The rest will be considered to suck like the person I quoted earlier. Again, this is why the bottom grows so fast. If you see a bottom develop without any new techniques discovered, this is the reason. The low characters may be a counter.
Once again, this is a little confusing. Do you mean that the low tier might have an advantage over the top tier, but it's overlooked because the low tier character is unpopular? Or do you mean that the top tier player may not know how to fight the low tier character, and thus the low tier character would have an advantage as a result?
"But Smashchu. The top players tested the match ups. They can't be wrong". Oh, but they probably are. You see, when you first started up Brawl, you probably found a character you liked. So you played him and ignored most of the cast. This is what many people will do in a game with numerous characters. They find out who they like and use them. So, even if you test the match ups, you are going to be better or worse with some characters. And if you have a set play style, this will skew the results even more. The only way they can be accurate is if you have some people who are good with the entire cast and have them play. But then you may have questions like the skill levels of the players, and the play styles of those players. The only 100% accurate way would be have someone who is good with all the characters and knows them play himself.

You may claim that more people make these accurate, but if everyone did them incorrectly, then they will just be more incorrect. The truth is that a tier list is a guideline. There kis going to be some constancy with how strong the cast is, but since popularity greatly skews all results, it can never be perfect.
Of course the matchups can't be 100% accurate. But hopefully they will become accurate enough to base opinions off them and predict outcomes of matches consistantly (if they don't the the matchups need to be changed).

What I said was this "A low their character may have a match-up advantage against a higher character. Because popularity is a strong determining factor to who is 'the best' that the match ups are never going to be 100% accurate. Like wise, becuase the low tiers are virtually ignored it will remain unknown if they have potential against higher characters".
I disagree that the low tiers would be virtually ignored. We are looking for characters that may have an advantage against Metaknight, specifically because he is the most popular character. That's how we found that Link has an even matchup with Marth, and that Young Link has a slight advantage on Peach in melee.

And while popularity is indeed a factor, I would never consider it to be a strong determining factor like you claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom