• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
A Tier List Atm isn't much more than a popularity poll. Many characters are simply easier to master than others and require much less in-depth practice. MK for example has blantatly obvious strengths that are discovered in a relatively short amount of time. People skim over characters and it's a first impression type thing. MK gives the best first impression to players. It's why he's so popular. It's why he gets top-tier. Not because he is broken.

However, other characters are like hidden gems, who need serious studying to be competetive. Don't get me wrong though, I do believe in bad match-ups and some characters may genuinely be better overall, but balance gaps between characters are generally over-rated imo. By now, I'm suprised many haven't caught on to how the characters were balanced to begin with.

I hate to say it but Sakurai partially based the character balance on Final Smashes and items. For example, Sonic has mediocre b-specials that don't show variety. Low priority. Lack-luster aerials. Low atk power and he is relatively light-weight. However, running speed allows him to get to items quickly and he has the best FS in the game.

Meta-Knight on the other hand gets one of the weakest Final Smashes in the game. Hmmmn, I wonder why?
We're talking competitively, Items and Fs are banned for a reason, anyone can win with items. A tier list isnt a popularity contest, this is based on tournament results, the characters matchups against other characters, and how "good" the character is all around

AnimeSnoopy

Smash Cadet
Snake, Falco, ROB, Peach, Captain Falcon, Marth, Wolf, and about everyone you didn't mention all say hi.

It's just not a balanced game, like almost every single other fighter...
I neither said nor suggested that the game was completely balanced down to every character. What I suggested was that Sakurai gave out final smashes based on the character's standard combat effectiveness and vice-versa. No. He didn't balance everything out perfectly, but final smashes were part of the pro's and con's when these characters were designed. It's common sense.

Imagine MK with an FS like super sonic. It wasn't random. MK got a weak FS on purpose. Vice-versa with sonic.

Btw, Link and Mario are too low on that list. And I mean without Items.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
I neither said nor suggested that the game was completely balanced down to every character. What I suggested was that Sakurai gave out final smashes based on the character's standard combat effectiveness and vice-versa. No. He didn't balance everything out perfectly, but final smashes were part of the pro's and con's when these characters were designed. It's common sense.

Imagine MK with an FS like super sonic. It wasn't random. MK got a weaker FS on purpose. Vice-versa with sonic.

Btw, Link and Mario are too low on that list. And I mean without Items.
Yet for every bad character with a good final smash there are two top/high tier characters with a good one. You cited two examples, but that does not make a case. The tier list would be equally unbalanced even with FSs on.

This is kind of off-topic, though. This is a tier list for competitive play. Whether or not Sakurai decided to stick out his middle finger at competitive players by balancing things according to items on play (and I doubt he did), that doesn't influence this tier list in the slightest.

Also, if you're going to make claims about Mario or Link, at least give some reason. I (and obviously the majority of the SBR) think they belong right where they are.

AnimeSnoopy

Smash Cadet
Yet for every bad character with a good final smash there are two top/high tier characters with a good one. You cited two examples, but that does not make a case. The tier list would be equally unbalanced even with FSs on.

This is kind of off-topic, though. This is a tier list for competitive play. Whether or not Sakurai decided to stick out his middle finger at competitive players by balancing things according to items on play (and I doubt he did), that doesn't influence this tier list in the slightest.

Also, if you're going to make claims about Mario or Link, at least give some reason. I (and obviously the majority of the SBR) think they belong right where they are.
"Brawl Tier list v1.0" = "Unaccurate first guess at Tiers"

We all know changes to this list are bound to occur. It's an early tier list "prototype" if you will. Anyway, lets see:

Final Smashes (Top):
Meta Knight: Weak
Snake: Good
DDD: Weak
GnW: Mediocre
Falco: Good
R.O.B: Mediocre

Only 2 good final smashes in top-tier and i'm having 2nd thoughts on Snake's FS atm.

Mario should be higher because of his dair and bair. Plus he's heavy yet still relatively quick.

Link can do the short-hop grapple hook attack that samus can do (Though not as effective.) His bair is good and his dair is deadly. His smash attacks have near DK/Bowser damage.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
"Brawl Tier list v1.0" = "Unaccurate first guess at Tiers"
It's inaccurate. Sorry, my OCD won't let you get away with that.

We all know changes to this list are bound to occur. It's an early tier list "prototype" if you will. Anyway, lets see:

Final Smashes (Top):
Meta Knight: Weak
Snake: Good
DDD: Weak
GnW: Mediocre
Falco: Good
R.O.B: Mediocre

Only 2 good final smashes in top-tier and i'm having 2nd thoughts on Snake's FS atm.
You underestimate ROBs.
Do you think there's a significant quality increase in the low tier FSs? There really isn't.

Link can do the short-hop grapple hook attack that samus can do (Though not as effective.) His bair is good and his dair is deadly. His smash attacks have near DK/Bowser damage.
Link has some good characteristics, but he's got more significant weaknesses. Most notably his recovery...

Don't just point out a characters strenghts. You need to weight them against their own weaknesses and the (often greater) strengths of other characters.

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
hmm when will this be updated... cause as far as i know meta cant kill snake as easy and i believe there are more snakes then metas winning tournies. also why the hell is diddy not high tier... he is BROKEN his recovery isnt horrible as some of the others i mean this is brawl where u can FLOAT back to the stage lol. foward b and if u dont make it up b under to the ledge. and besides how man characters up b is a SPIKE!!!! lol diddy is **** sauce with his naners see ninjalink haha

AnimeSnoopy

Smash Cadet
How is ROB's FS mediocre?

And that's your only reasons for moving up Mario and Link? Horrible argument.
I'm typing from a wii. I'd go into more detail but i'm not at an actual keyboard. Oh and look at how Ken ate two back to back R.O.B final smashes at evo without dieing.

R.O.B FS = Mediocre.

**EDIT**

@cjocker

Go to Youtube.

Watch Sk92 vs. Darwin match 3

cjrocker

Smash Ace
I'm typing from a wii. I'd go into more detail but i'm not at an actual keyboard. Oh and look at how Ken ate two back to back R.O.B final smashes at evo without dieing.

R.O.B FS = Mediocre.

**EDIT**

@cjocker

Go to Youtube.

Did you really use evo as part of your argument?
And I'm pretty sure the user 'cjocker' doesn't exist.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it bothers me that the sbr voting process overrode the tourney results thus far, and not vice versa. you can't assume everyone in the sbr knows a lot about each character's abilities right now. at that point people have to start generalizing, and that's when you run into problems. for the most part, those generalizations produced a fairly accurate tier list at this point in time, at least.

Superlocke

Smash Rookie
As I said above, placing Ness and Lucas side by side (and Lucas above Ness) suggests a lack of familiarity with both characters. It would be like placing Mario and Luigi side by side with Mario above Luigi.
LOL.
Ness better than Lucas? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Superlocke

Smash Rookie
yes.....ness is better than lucas, it seems only the backroom and you don't see that.
Uh.. I guess we're the enlightened few? Lucas demolishes Ness in pretty much every aspect, I can't believe you actually think Ness comes close to him.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Uh.. I guess we're the enlightened few? Lucas demolishes Ness in pretty much every aspect, I can't believe you actually think Ness comes close to him.
oh really? how many safe approaches does lucas have? how many reliable spikes? at least ness's yoyo can actually kill and can surprise opponents and not leave him wide open for 3 seconds after a Dsmash or an Usmash if he misses. trust me, i main both of them, and the only thing lucas has goin for him over ness is his Ftilt and his recovery, but that isnt saying much, seeing as both of them are easily gimped anyways.

metaXzero

Smash Champion

R.O.B FS = Mediocre.

**EDIT**

@cjocker

Go to Youtube.

You are using EVO as an argument? You might as well use it to say Falco's FS isn't that great....

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Mario and PT are def not lower tier. They are middle to high imo. I gave up on using Samus, and have tried kirby and toon link, and I feel toon link is higher then kirby at least in my experience. Nice job on the list though. Nice to finally have one. I haven't decided on a main yet since they nerfed my samus, it has been rough trying to find a new character. Maybe this will help.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
I think this list still need a lot of work, but it seems to be on the right track.

(a day will come when Metaknight falls down the list)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I do admit link should be higher. If all of you people would do better with these characters and place better. you will see them rise in rank.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Na...Link pretty muich blows, he's right where he is.

I still think Wario is too low. That guy wins lots of tourneys - more than Marth, DDD, Falco, GaW and ROB

M@v

Subarashii!
I hope you guys realize magnitude of how bad links recovery is? I dare to say its the worst recovery ever seen in a smash game, from 64 to now. Its THAT bad, and it ruins the character. If he has a decent recovery, say mario caliber, I dare say he could make middle tier.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Na...Link pretty muich blows, he's right where he is.

I still think Wario is too low. That guy wins lots of tourneys - more than Marth, DDD, Falco, GaW and ROB
Unfortunately half the cast has infinite release grabs on him, and a good portion of the rest has good guarenteed options off release (sweet-spotted lightning kick ftw).

Basically, he really SHOULDN'T be getting as good results as he does, and over time he'll fall off. But currently he's popular enough and enough people don't know how to fight him to merit high rankings.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
link just lacks speed imo

he's manageable but he doesn't have really dominating factors

he's one of those characters that just doesn't have any "wow" material

imo if more people played him and he was discussed more popularly, he could get better. he has potential IMO, just as falcon and sonic do

it's super limited characters like ganon and jigglypuff that i can see not getting any higher

edit: adumbrodeus - just because wario can get gayed easily doesn't mean he is not an amazing character. his great aerial movement is a huge asset that overpowers many characters in the metagame. he is an unpredictable character, i don't think the release grabs will tear him down too much (until later when people start actually using them against good warios like futile...)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Link has one of the best projectile games IN the game... and is quite powerful/heavy..... it's just his awful recovery limiting him so much... and it IS awful... trust me it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom