• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noa.

Smash Master
The thing about Olimars recovery that makes it so horrible is that if the opponent is grabbing the ledge while Olimar is trying to recover there is no way he can latch onto the edge unless he has a purple pikmin, which still doesn't help much. Otherwise, if your opponent is too far away to ledge hug before you up-b its pretty good.
The thing about Olimar's recovery that doesn't make it so horrible is that Olimar doesn't need to grab the ledge to recover.

You are only looking at Olimar's UpB while judging his recovery. Olimar's UpB does suck for recovery.

But when you want to correctly judge a recovery, you also look at the fall speed of the character, how high their double jump is, and if they have any special tools to help them recover.

These special tools include Peach's float, Fox's faircopter (I don't know the correct term) and *gasp* Olimar's whistle.

Olimar's whistle grants super armor frames. These super armor frames protect him from getting gimped while recovering.

Keep in mind, you don't have to go for the ledge when recovering. Olimar can just land onstage directly.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I don't think anyone else brought this up about Olimar, but...

His weight?

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Weight alone isn't enough to hold a character back, although it certainly doesn't hurt to be heavy. Look at MK (really light), G&W (2nd lightest in the game) and Melee Jiggs (lightest in the game)...they all do fine despite their weight because they are great characters. If you have the tools to not get hit (MK) then weight becomes much less of a factor.

Nestec

Smash Ace

No way lol. Dedede completely cancels out the viability of some characters (DK etc) and that frankly makes him a force of nature in terms of matchup statistics. In addition with his other decent matchups make him have better matchups than Marth. They are in no way equal to me.
And do you know how many high-tier characters give Dedede a run for his money? Characters which make his high-level gameplay much more of a struggle than Marth's? Dedede has those "cancel-out" match-ups in about five spots. And look at who the victims are. Lol, no one cares. Marth can handle those characters, and many others that Dedede quite frankly has more trouble with.

C.box said:
Which ones carry more weight, low-mid tiers ? or high tiers?

High tiers is the obvious answer which is where marth does better then d3.
This, pretty much.

Draconoa44 said:
The thing about Olimar's recovery that doesn't make it so horrible is that Olimar doesn't need to grab the ledge to recover.

You are only looking at Olimar's UpB while judging his recovery. Olimar's UpB does suck for recovery.

But when you want to correctly judge a recovery, you also look at the fall speed of the character, how high their double jump is, and if they have any special tools to help them recover.
If one of the factors holding back Ness is his recovery, then Olimar should be treated in the same regard. I don't see how the heck Olimar is making it back on stage more often than Ness, who is heavier, does not completely rely on the ledge for recovery, has a higher 2nd jump, AND a useful Fair to protect him as he gets back.

Nestec

Smash Ace
He does better against him than Dedede does.

...If that's not where you were headed with that, then my bad. lol

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Only when you're talking about VERY different chart positions. Basically if you're not comparing MK against somebody that's not S tier it's not valid. The reason is that there's enough info to recognize that the averages have a major difference, and even then it tells so little of the story that it's probably better to ignore it anyway.

Bad information is worse then no information at all.
True enough

Well, that's not quite it.

Smokers have a higher chance of getting cardiovascular disease, but more non-smokers get it then smokers, by a large margin.

By smash logic that means that you should become a smoker to avoid it, which awesomely illustrates my point, yay Reductio Ad Absurdum!
So silly, I was agreeing with the point of your example, not agreeing with the example itself.
*smacks with fan*

@avariceX: IIRC, DDD has very poor matchups against Olimar, the IC's, and Falco.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Marth beats Wario. It's not even about superb spacing so much as it is brick-walling appropriately. He has frame traps on Wario sadly that are hard to get around aside from player mistakes.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
You would be correct Shadowlink. However Falco, Oli, and IC's are all not easy characters to play. Falco and IC's are starting to see more play but are still fairly uncommon (especially good ones). I'm not saying Snake is easy to play either, but he's a lot easier to play at a competent enough level that you can win some games, but MK and Snake are just far more common than any of the other top tiers and that isn't going to change for quite some time (if it even does change).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario CAN win on some stages by flat out running away. Stages like Rainbow Cruise, Japes, gay stages.

BUT, Wario has to get the lead first. Which even on those stages is hard to do.

So overall yes, Marth wins even with aircamping.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You would be correct Shadowlink. However Falco, Oli, and IC's are all not easy characters to play. Falco and IC's are starting to see more play but are still fairly uncommon (especially good ones). I'm not saying Snake is easy to play either, but he's a lot easier to play at a competent enough level that you can win some games, but MK and Snake are just far more common than any of the other top tiers and that isn't going to change for quite some time (if it even does change).
That was...confusing.
Falco, IC's and Oli are hard t play which contributes to them not mattering as much? No wait that makes no sense.
The difficulty in using the character is unimportant, e look a the top of the metagame while tkaing into account those characters abilities.

The matchup isnt going to change.

It is understandable because the IC's, Olimar and Falco matchups do not weigh as much sa the Snake and Meta KNight matchups due to those respective characters being high up.
As such it would hit Marth harder.

But the argument of ease of use is hardly allowable.

Noa.

Smash Master
If one of the factors holding back Ness is his recovery, then Olimar should be treated in the same regard. I don't see how the heck Olimar is making it back on stage more often than Ness, who is heavier, does not completely rely on the ledge for recovery, has a higher 2nd jump, AND a useful Fair to protect him as he gets back.
When I mean holding him back, I mean Olimar's recovery doesn't stop him from being top tier. If we gave Olimar's G&W recovery, Then I could imagine him moving up above G&W and Marth but still not breaking into top tier.

But what's holding Olimar back from top tier is his low priority. If he had decent priority, then he would be top tier even with his bad recovery.

And I thought that what was holding Ness back was his problems in dealing with high priority disjointed hitboxes. And a little bit to his grab release issues. I was sure that Ness players learned not to get gimped more than once in a set at least.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Lol, if you know how to space and when to punish Marth, he can't brickwall you very effectively at all. He has to keep you at bay with tippers.

Nestec

Smash Ace
You would be correct Shadowlink. However Falco, Oli, and IC's are all not easy characters to play.
This has nothing to do with anything.

AvariceX said:
Falco and IC's are starting to see more play but are still fairly uncommon (especially good ones). I'm not saying Snake is easy to play either, but he's a lot easier to play at a competent enough level that you can win some games, but MK and Snake are just far more common than any of the other top tiers and that isn't going to change for quite some time (if it even does change).
That still does not change the fact that Dedede is being hurt by higher tiers, and Marth is not.

Draconoa44 said:
When I mean holding him back, I mean Olimar's recovery doesn't stop him from being top tier. If we gave Olimar's G&W recovery, Then I could imagine him moving up above G&W and Marth but still not breaking into top tier.
Aah, okay, I understand what you mean.

draconoa44 said:
And I thought that what was holding Ness back was his problems in dealing with high priority disjointed hitboxes. And a little bit to his grab release issues. I was sure that Ness players learned not to get gimped more than once in a set at least.
No, Ness has a high-priority, disjointed hitbox of his own: Fair.
Yeah, the grab-release business is hurting him, and his tourney representation (but this seems to be improving). People have considered his recovery a major problem, but I say it's no more of a problem than Olimar's recovery.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Tier List 3.0 in this thread is the only real one right now.

You might've seen Ankoku's Ranking List, which is purely tournament results, not a tier list.

EDIT: lol, listen to straked.

Noa.

Smash Master
No, Ness has a high-priority, disjointed hitbox of his own: Fair.
Yeah, the grab-release business is hurting him, and his tourney representation (but this seems to be improving). People have considered his recovery a major problem, but I say it's no more of a problem than Olimar's recovery.
Okay, that was my mistake. Ness has problems dealing with characters who have a lot of high priority long ranged aerials. I think that would be correct. That shuts down his aerial game and his ground game it mediocre at best.

What do you think has contributed DKs fall from grace? He has fallen like 8 spots between the first tier and the current one. Once thought to be high tier is now hanging around the mid tiers.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Regardless of ease/difficulty of use, MK and Snake are far more common (due obviously to being significantly better characters) than Falco, Oli or IC's in the tournament scene. MK and Snake holding Marth back is far more of a hindrance than Falco, Oli and IC's doing the same to Dedede; this is very relevant.

Also in my defense, look at C.Viper in SFIV; everybody acknowledges her as a great character yet she's stuck in mid tier because she's so hard to use that nobody except maybe Combofiend can use her properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom