• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My Mario thread

Dory

Smash Journeyman
If anyone has any pointers for this noob ill be glad to here them :]

Matt07

Smash Master
Bump, umm if I decided to update this thread (remove month old videos), I'd have no videos left! Anyways this will most likely be my last bump, if it has no activity we can just leave it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, if it gets no activity for a while, I suggest just leaving it until someone actually has videos to put up, at which point they can bump it. (AKA, I'm going to bumb it regardless whenever I manage to get a match recorded ;) )

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I should be able to link you guys to some matches from my tourney this weekend.

(Apparantly, Ally is showing up in the Midwest, omghax)

Matt07

Smash Master
Updated. Added vato_break's videos, and removed month old videos.

I completely forget about this thread.

topiser

Smash Rookie
Vato it looks like your pretty good and indefinitely much better than me :laugh:

You should use your cape,fludd,and fireballs a bit more.
For example when fighting with D3, you could have thrown in a few fire balls here and there and get an extra 30% to makes your life easier. Fireballs also work when they are approaching as if they are close + get hit by 1,you have an open target stunned for a short amount of time ready to get pounded. Fireballs also give you a great way to space yourself .One last thing,when recovering from the stage while above it,throwing a few fireballs could help you quite a bit.

Also I noticed that you didn't really use fludd much. Try to have if full at most times as you never know when they could mess up or be off stage ready to get harassed by water flying at them:laugh: Also at high percents fludd can save your ***. For example if you have fludd full and you are about to get attacked,use it, run up,and jab for an easy 10-20%. They will probably do a side smash and by the time you get there they will be an open target for a bit. Also when you want to change up your tactics you could purposely charge fludd,wait for them to come,and as your about to get hit,either go left or right,surprising the enemy. After that you can probably hit the opponent with fair,dair, or anything you want. If you use this a lot it will get predictable so only use it on occasion. Lastly, get use to the range fludd pushed you when your in the air. After having it full who the hell would expect a mario to pull out fludd on stage away from the opponent get behind them and whip their *** with a dair or fair? This also cant be used too much but if you learn the range well you can pick where to land and vary it and play mind games. Man what a long paragraph on fludd. I don't know why but its my favourite move mario has :)

Lastly I noticed you lack a tiny bit of cape on stage. For example a few times the peach knew you were going to fair at him/her and easily made you miss/hit you. Instead of that wait a bit,and then cape. The peach would be an open target while unleashing his/her smash and you can be happy :laugh:

Well there's my 2 cents from a rookie using mario:) I just wish D3 didn't have such a good recovery that fludd is hardly useful against :( Im not saying you should incorporate every little thing I said, but take them to mind as once in a while they could become useful and even to your regular tactics.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I use the FLUDD a lot for spacing; helps a lot against characters like G&W, Marth, and Wario. FLUDD and fireballs give Mario incredible spacing abilities. FIHL is also a nice bonus since it gives Mario additional setup and defense options. As far as gimping, I find FLUDD's usefulness to really depend on the character but, generally speaking, it's handy to have it fully-charged just in case. Overall, the FLUDD is about abusing its unique properties to overcome many obstacles.

topiser

Smash Rookie
Yeah. When I first tried mario I thought how the hell would anyone be able to do anything with such simple attacks. Now I'm maining mario and truly seeing i was wrong. :laugh:

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm very impressed Kirin. You played the first match perfectly.

Only thing I would advise is when you're ahead 3 stocks to 1, that's when you start fireball camping. As in just run away and toss some fire. You do make Snakes look easy, lol. You should also bait spotdodges a little more, that Snake from the first match was shielding half the match. And I didn't see a lot of jabs.

I'd say 92% for that first match. A-, you're excused from class.

2nd match, another amazing first stock. Snakes and Dedede's are usually in a shield position for a long time, so just stay out of that grab range and pressure him. You almost broke it. 2nd stock, I was hoping you'd fast fall and shieldgrab when you say that Nair coming. You also have top notch DI, don't change a thing. Last stock was nice predicting of your part, great matches.

Combo video material right thurr.

topiser

Smash Rookie
Kirin you seem to be great already. One thing that I think you may want to try is if you kill someone when your both in the 100's %, start fire ball camping. By the time they kill you you can easily get to like 30-50% then try for a few aerials and before you die they can range anywhere from 50-80%. Other than that great job. Wish I was that good :laugh:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Kirin you seem to be great already. One thing that I think you may want to try is if you kill someone when your both in the 100's %, start fire ball camping. By the time they kill you you can easily get to like 30-50% then try for a few aerials and before you die they can range anywhere from 50-80%. Other than that great job. Wish I was that good :laugh:
Of topic here, but I love your sig. You... eat Marios? :(

topiser

Smash Rookie
Of topic here, but I love your sig. You... eat Marios? :(
Maybeh. Lol i rushed it last night and the size was crap so had to fix it up a bit a few minutes ago. Now I got a lovely matching avatar to go with it :) I just thought of it for some reason last night and well its funny so why not :laugh: And thanks for the compliment by the way. Surprised someone would actually notice that fast :laugh:
And yes, I'm an mario eating mario main. If that makes sense :laugh:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Maybeh. Lol i rushed it last night and the size was crap so had to fix it up a bit a few minutes ago. Now I got a lovely matching avatar to go with it :) I just thought of it for some reason last night and well its funny so why not :laugh: And thanks for the compliment by the way. Surprised someone would actually notice that fast :laugh:
And yes, I'm an mario eating mario main. If that makes sense :laugh:
You can adjust the height and just make it wider. Or take out the extra blank space, lol. No problem, it's pretty clever.

You also lose points for eating plumbers.
Also, let's take this to the general discussion.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Vato Your Mario is very good. Just a few tips.

Don't walk off stage to spike anyone lower than 60% LOL. Mario's spike is very weak. They will meteor cancel and grab the ledge before you do like the Marth did to you.

looks like you handled his spacing better, but you can make Marth cry by punishing mishaps with up B OOS and FIHL.

Thats all. Your Mario Immpresses me.

Matt07

Smash Master
Vato...sorry it took me so long to reply :(.

Against Bo your first stock was kinda lulzy. You missed up B punishment a lot, you got punished for your Fireball camping, you weren't aggresive enough. However by second stock you went more aggresively which threw Bo off completely (wow playstyle switch ftw), and pulled off the win. Two f-air spikes in one game, dayum.

Second match against Dedede Cape ftw! I can't really say much on that match, you played really well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dam you Vato...you're getting more practice than me. I'll never be number one Mario in Socal at this rate. =(

You did liek everything right against that Marth. Everything that I ramble about all day when talking about Mario vs Marth.

SDC

Smash Lord
nice mario vato, any mario that holds its own and wins against a marth gets props in my book. would have liked to see a few more capes in there, if your able to cape marth it leaves him wide open for an f-smash, but forget about that a well played match, and loved the spikes at the end. good accuracy on those fairs!

Matt07

Smash Master
Updated OP. Added colours to font.

Versus DK:
Well no mistakes here, none that I could find. You went ape **** on him (pun intended xD)

Versus GnW 1
:45 - Lol gimp GnW xD.
1:25 - Wow an u-air kill? Living up to 180% on a GnW is like wtf good.
1:50 - Ouch, really bad time to up B. He was too far away.
3:13 - Oh **** you had the match right there! He would've been dead for sure. Ah well I do that from time to time too.
4:16 - I think you had enough time to pull off a usmash in there.
4:28 - Again, I think another opportunity to land an usmash.

Versus GnW 2
:44 - Wow wtf a gimp!? Could this be a reliable gimp against GnW?
There was a part where your d-air beat his fsmash. :O Does this always work, or is it before he pulls the match out?
Also your spacing was a bit bad during your second stock which lead you to getting owned. But you even'd it out again, which is good.
2:57 - How come when I use usmash his d-air always wins :(.
3:08 - Nice use of FIHL!
3:40 Audience is cheering for the wrong character.

For both matches: Also when he uses his dthrow you rolled <-- way, then if he did it again you would tech it in spot. Be less predictable on those because he punished you for that. Also, you should've camped him when he is at high percents. If he buckets it, it's a free kill for you. And your forcing him to approach as well, limiting his options.

Edit: Just because I created this thread doesn't mean I'm the only one that has to critique. Anyone else is open to help out too or maybe you have more advice to give to him, or more experience in that match-up. Help out the community guys!

Veggi

Smash Champion
Vs. DK

You played very well. DK's game against Mario is largely based off of stopping your approaches. It would be a good idea to jump torwards him and cape away from him to try to bait a grab or something and then bair him. When jumping towards DK with bairs try doing a pivot fireball, it can really mess him up and it's easy to follow after a pivot fireball. You also didn't use grab attacks when you got a grab, but that may have been because you wanted to suprise him so he couldn't DI up from your backthrow. A short hop dair is also a good idea against DK's shield because he gets shield poked easily.

Vs. G&W

Not much to say, but try to use Up-b OOS for the things that look too hard to punish. You semed pretty pro at shield grabbing so I don't think you need to at many points. At the start of the match you can just shoot a fireball and then wait for the bucket and punish him, then do it again. After that just don't shoot any more while he's desperate for the third fireball. Also, try to uair when you DI out of his turtle.

2nd vs. G&W

I thought he got his up b back if you caped him, doesn't he?

FIHL grab you got on his turtle was nice. You seemed sort of devoted to doing jab>fsmash he countered it with one of his attacks a couple times. Instead of doing fsmash try running backwards and doing bair to keep yourself out of harms way.

Very good Mario though.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol Veggi, that was the DK i played in friendlies who like totally ***** faster then you **** me XD

Karen (lol) you make Will's DK so mother****ing easy, even though I was hella tired and was friendlies he ***** me in matter of seconds he memorized the matchup in the back of his head O_O You make DK look so easy T.T

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I should have a video of me getting JV 2-stocked by an Oli up sometime today or tommorrow. It's not the best I've done all weekend (actually I was about to get a MM recorded against Hilt, but that didn't happen. I won that MM though :D) but it'll have to do.

Also, I learned a new trick, when Dairing the opponent's shield, you can toadstool Nair and if they drop their shield they get hit, and you fly from harm's way, I haven't been punished after doing it once! (It also works if they don't drop their shield, they just don't get hit.) But of course if they do get hit by the dair then you should just combo with uair or something.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Psh, I could run laps around that DK.

@XeroXen

I never tried doing a nair after I dair>footstool. Usually I just jump away because it looks pro. Does nair really work before you go out of range? I should probably try that.

Top Bottom