• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My DK thread

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If you're being juggled your MO is to not land near them.

Here is a winner's finals set vs a pikachu at a recent tournament. Watch and critique please. I've already got a few things in my head that I need to work on after watching that but I'd like everyone's opinion too. Both sets of grand finals should be up sometime soon as well, so once they are I'll link to them in this thread too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZZR1x_LCA 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpB7ldPRDbQ&feature=response_watch 2+3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MDBX4Bcqc&feature=response_watch 4+5

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
good job on the 1st match, you were having problem with those jolts at first not canceling them out or avoiding them. nice gimp 1st stock and good SDI on his dsmash. i think first match was played pretty well just that he punished you on that getup.

you probably know this but one thing i learned from the pikachu matchup is when your at about 100% and they go for the upsmash, they expect for us do DI with dair. when that happens thats a free thunder for them which kills us, so to avoid that you can FF bair and air dodge in time to get out of the thunder range. in the 2nd match that thunder kill at 2:49 has never happend to me but the same might apply not sure how well you can DI from that.

mindgamed yourself on that first stock =(. nice try on that dtilt lock on match 3 trying to get it back.

man my heart was racing at the end of the 4th match, im yelling out loud "OH NO!!......OMG....WATCH OUT USMASH.......DODGE............PAUNCH!!!!!!!" Lol!

he was reading you pretty bad in match 5 getting you with all those thunders. were you getting frustrated and just falling into stuff? when i get frustrated i end up dying like on 8:14.

i remember you saying that campy/spammy is something you have trouble dealing with against the spacies, this guy sure did figure that out quick. i saw him jolt spam you for like 50% at one point i think? when he was getting ***** he quickly went back to spamming lol. was he banning Japes every single time? IMO japes is good to take pikachu because of the ceiling so he kills you a lot later than usual and i think the jolt spam is less annoying on this stage. i like brinstar too but thats just a personal preference. good stuff though was loving them punches you were landing. always fun watching another DK play and be like "Here comes the punch....wait for it.......yeah there it is."

crifer

Smash Lord
That was a pretty good pika man^^
in Match 4 I thought "Man he needs to try more upB" and yeah few seconds later you did that (although it was not that effective), with a little more luck you could have get a shield break bc he was really shield happy. when you´re close to pikachu, try to spam him with ftilt.
A pika main I played called this "approach" broken. lol.

Overall you did (edit: ****) good, I think he was just the better smasher (and campy lol).
Charge your smashes a little bit more.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
1st match very well played, i noticed that when you were just killed you would rush in there and start to attacking pika, when you are at low percents it should be a spacing game with bairs, and tilts mainly because of the chain grab. I did not see that pika do the down throw cg, i know it works till around 40-50.

Good job punishing the quick attacks, good di out of down smash, but you can also di out of pikas fair and bair, and since they use those attacks to set up combos you need to practice getting out of those attacks.

The spam is what killed you overall in these matches, i saw you ps some jolts, cancel them out with jabs and tilts, jump over some, air dodge some. I think you got hit the most by the jolts when you were setting up an approach, like turining around to start bair wop. To me power shielding the jolt is the best option then from there a tilt, a grab, or anything else usually works.

daisho

Smash Lord
Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but some criticism will do you well.

Those matches saddened me. The reason is that I think you could have won if you knew what to do more.

Canceling out his jolts with tilts or jab is pretty pointless. Jumping over them is not great and air dodging is also bad. Mainly because he is in a better position after. What you should be doing is power shielding. In addition to no lag it also makes that nice sound that psychologically makes him think his attacks are useless. So when he T jolts you, just walk slightly forward till you are in optimal range at which point you can up tilt or f tilt. Or even Bair. Use bair to go through his T jolt (if he jumps) and it will also hit him.

I also saw you do too many up bs. Pretty much every time you ran at him you up bd (iirc, I noticed it after so I didn't look for it.) It got predictable and you were often punished. Also, up Bing from a stationary position usually is not a good idea. You lose most of the hits unless he is right next to you (which would be a good idea, but you were using it when he was just a bit outside your range).

Another thing that I noticed was often when he was above you; you went for up smashes. Usually it is better to just do an up tilt since it is much safer on block or mi**** and is a lot faster so he won't have as much time to shield. I'm not saying abolish up smash since it can get you a lot of early KOs but often up tilt is a better option.

Most of the time you tried to approach with Bairs it failed. Even though they were spaced properly and you rarely got punished Pikachu is just too short to approach with bair against.

Most importantly was the momentum canceling.
You used Dair to cancel anything that was remotely upwards. While it is better than Bair (unless bair is perfectly FFd, then bair is better) it is only by a couple of percents. Chances are you would have lived for almost all of the times you D aired but instead you got hit by a thunder right after. Most characters can't take advantage but Pikachu can with his QAC and thunder. Also I noticed you did it after a d smash even though it kills horizontally first if you have good enough DI.
You also used up b break at least once which was too early.
I also think I recall one time where you daired when you could have baired to up b break and lived.

The thunders in the frigate match at the end were extremely impressive though.

Oh and lastly, learn that thunder lives forever and don't run into it lol. Only time you can really punish it is when he does it under a platform.

Hope this helps Rag, I don't want you losing to Pikachu ever again.

Edit: Also, I noticed one headbutt at 7%. Never do that. Headbutt itself isn't to helpful in the Pika MU because he is so short. Also usually smashes below kill range are bad, not always though.

Edit 2: Your punches were pretty obvious. You need to mix them up more. Also when you were jabbing the T Jolts and charging that was fancy looking but ultimately hurts you. You hit about 1/4 of your punches and took 11% from him when Punch does max 29. So overall wasn't worth it.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Thanks for all the speedy critiques guys. After watching these videos again I realized that I made quite a few mistakes, or at least things that I didn't even expect myself to do while watching these videos. I also realized I struggle in matchups that I'm not familiar with or that down b isn't very effective in(<3 down b).

Any more harsh critiques are extremely welcome. I'd like to hear more people's opinions.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
Did he ban Japes or what? Im still wondering about that lol.

IMO sometimes its good to go for those "predictable" punches just to throw them off. if they shield it oh well it eats up their shield and it pushes them back. Not everyone is brave enough to sidestep a punch but even then doing it at max range is good. lot of times they think you are going to go for the punch and they play differently. It's all a mind games and it works.

Nothing bad about losing to a pikachu, hes a good character. you will do better next time Rag no sweat.

idk if you guys seen this but i got a kick out of it lol. Needs moar paunch and downb. our boy got 3 stocked =(.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_VSNK1LQSk&feature=related

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Oh japes is banned around here, sorry I didn't mention that earlier. I definitely would have gone there.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
lol at the bair that poked on the second hit after you perfect shielded the first hit with basically a full shield. DK's shield blows. While I was watching that I was thinking you should punch more and then you finally landed one for the last stock. If someone ever charges a smash vs DK that's a free punch.

daisho

Smash Lord
IMO sometimes its good to go for those "predictable" punches just to throw them off. if they shield it oh well it eats up their shield and it pushes them back. Not everyone is brave enough to sidestep a punch but even then doing it at max range is good. lot of times they think you are going to go for the punch and they play differently. It's all a mind games and it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_VSNK1LQSk&feature=related
Charging is always at some expense (except after a kill). Either giving up stage control or not pressuring him. Sometimes you even get hurt. If you are not landing your punches or they are so obvious that he can avoid them then it is not worth it to get the charges

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
if you get hurt while charging then you obviously are charging at the wrong time. either way we all have a different opinion on how things should be played so im going to just leave it at that.

lol @ 2:14 stopping his dsmash with a jab. you were staying above him too much and eating those nairs for breakfast. this gdub didnt spam bair since he was getting those nairs but for those bair spammers you can catch them with downb and they will re-think on their bair spam.

Te-Jay

Smash Apprentice
Corner Brook/St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
If you're being juggled your MO is to not land near them.

Here is a winner's finals set vs a pikachu at a recent tournament. Watch and critique please. I've already got a few things in my head that I need to work on after watching that but I'd like everyone's opinion too. Both sets of grand finals should be up sometime soon as well, so once they are I'll link to them in this thread too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZZR1x_LCA 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpB7ldPRDbQ&feature=response_watch 2+3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MDBX4Bcqc&feature=response_watch 4+5
holy crap rag, on that 4th match i was on my feet

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Both grand finals sets vs that pikachu I played have been uploaded. If you guys can critique those too that would be great.

daisho

Smash Lord
I watched all the GFs before but I don't think there is much different to say except don't switch to wario you *******!

Also I guess don't jump under the stage with a fair trying to hit pikachu out of a quick attack.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
During the first match you would always get hit by her down b from the ledge. So wait till she does it then punish it, like you did for the last kill in match 2.

You recovered a bit high in match two which cause you to get spiked, when recovering against zss go for platforms if there are any, if not recover low, save your jump.

Also you get killed the most by her forward b, it is her best spacing move you need to watch out for that when Zss is retreating. Also instead of always going for a bair while in the air try air doding to the ground more often then going from there. Overall I think you did fairly well.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
yeah what was frustrating me was that i would get a stock lead, and i wanted to get at least 50% on his next stock and as soon as he spawned, i'd die.

crifer

Smash Lord
Please, I'd like to have your opinion on some matches I've done two weeks ago.

Akira (Snake) vs Kitsune-kun (DK) (I love the "combo" I've done at 1:39 xD)
Akira (Snake) vs Kitsune-kun (DK) II
Akira (Snake) vs Kitsune-kun (DK) III

Thank you ^^'
great matches, kit!
I really liked your combo in the first match at 1:39, looked really awesome and unique.
actually I would recommend to use more downB, much safer against Snake.
I dont know why but the snake didn´t grab enough. usually snake´s hold a nade and then wait for your approach and grab. And if you try to grab them while that it´s possible that they grab you first, bc they only walk.

In the second matcj you got your sheild broken. bad thing, but you were nearly at 200% so, yeah any other attack should have killed you.
Also the Snake was not too tilt happy, which is weird O.o

I would like to play you at some european tourney in the summer ;-)

Veggi

Smash Champion
These are a whole lot better than the last videos you posted, good job. You have a nice baiting game going on.

The only things I noticed are when you you predicted that he would DAC, you always ppunished him with something weak like a tilt when you had a Giant Punch charged that could have hit him. Other than that, I didn't really notice anything.

D0N

Smash Ace
Have you ever teamed at a tourney with your friend who doesn't play competitivly just because? Well, I did. We came 2nd out of 8. GF was a hard fight and I hadn't played in a month... the other team gave me a handicap lol... How'd I do?

They are all me (DK) Lynx (sonic) vs Famous (mario/luigi) Kadaj (D3, Falco, Pit, MK)

Match 1

Match 2

Match 3 - I win! some luck involved.

Match 4

Morningstar

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom