• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

A-Laon

Smash Master
If you want me to explain my confidence, I played Big_R in about 7 matches at Pound -- all of which I won, most of which were by 2 or 3 stocks. Rob's YL also beat the crap out of him at Pound, let alone Matt's ICs were destroying him on Fountain in their tourney set yesterday. I've learned a bit from last time. This time I know my opponent, and I know he's going to lose.

pockyD

Smash Legend
no, i legitimately envy your confidence

i've talked this over with tim and wes more than a few times that i think i'd be better if i were more confident in my game and took losses harder instead of always shrugging them off and not caring that i lost a game that i shouldn't have

CaptainFalco30

Smash Cadet
Hey, is there any plan to play at Duquesne this coming Friday? Ill try to make it if there is going to be something going on. I may not even be a total n00b.

TSK

Smash Apprentice
>_> I had said I can get to duq early in the afternoon on fridays now.... I should be able to be there as early as around 2, I just need to know when everyone else will be there. Also who's bringing the cubes and I forget is there any free parking during the summer?

xyt

Smash Lord
no, i legitimately envy your confidence

i've talked this over with tim and wes more than a few times that i think i'd be better if i were more confident in my game and took losses harder instead of always shrugging them off and not caring that i lost a game that i shouldn't have
i agree with the part that you would become a better player if you cared more
i could be selling myself short but anytime i ever beat your ICs
it doesn't feel like a win at all.. (like.. all 2 times i've accomplished this feat)
cause it either feels like you weren't trying or you were holding back on
chain grabbing gayness (and a little bit of sds off the ledge hop wave land)
and since i do hold you on a higher platform than myself in skill level
it irks me sometimes (i don't know why) when you don't do well in tournaments or you
don't get the credit (i think) you deserve as a player (like at Mow Fest).
just fyi, my win/lost ratio against you is the worst one i have out of ANYONE
i've ever played. (this is speaking of main char. VS main char. btw)

so.... the point of this very extremely Sheik-ish post..
ehrm... i lost that a while ago..
but yea you'd def. be better if you (FOR AN EXTREME LACK OF BETTER WORDS)
"cared more"

takieddine

Smash Master
TSK, the reason i said from 4-5 is because I still have work at 4-5, Alan can make it earlier, I'm sure evan can too (he has a car and no job?).

I like how XYT feels like sharing advice with everyone nowadays :). How can I be gay, XYT?

props to none of these (@_@) on the last post. @_@)

A-Laon

Smash Master
Hey look at me (A-Laon) because I am posting
(like on Smashboards) just
like... sheik (@_@) (@_@) (@_@)
COme PLAY ME >_>

On Friday, I can get to Duquesne at 2 or 3ish most likely.

TSK - If you can get there around then, bring a set-up and the two of us can play until Taki's free and/or anybody else comes.

Pocky - Well I apologize for having taken that the wrong way. One of my driving inspirations for my improvement is in securing consistent victories over anyone within my reach, because if I play well enough, I will, and achieving that level of play is improvement. If somebody is around my skill level, I should be capable of beating them if I play it right. If I lose to them, then I have something to learn from them about my playstyle. Due to this, I like to get more matches with those who beat me consistently, in tournaments, or both, because there's something I need to improve on if I'm losing to them, and playing them is the only way to find it and fix it to better myself as a player. Things like my MM with DoYoung aren't "revenge" but challenges to myself to improve on what I failed to do right. As far as I see it, dedication to finding your every flaw that leads to your losses is the gateway to becoming a better player, so I take every serious loss as an indicator to get back to work.

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
If I may quote a section from the Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee:

"The state of the athlete's mind as he faces his event determines the degree of excess tension he will carry into the event. The athlete free from excess tension as he awaits his performance is typically self-confident. He has what is commonly known as a 'winning attitude.' He sees himself as master of the athletic situation confronting him. To many athletes, beng a champion is a matter of 'psychological necessity.' Fed by previous successes and having completely rationalized previous failure, he feels himself a triton ammong minnows."

And so, carrying a self-confident attitude is just as important as developing technical skill.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
If I may quote a section from the Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee:

"If emotional control is not well-learned, critical moments in the fight when the emotional tension is highest will result in loss of skill by the fighter. His muscles suddenly must work against his own over-tense antagonistic muscles. He becomes stiff and clumsy in his movements. Expose yourself to various conditions and learn."

I like to think about it as being physically relaxed in the muscles, while being mentally aware and alert at all times.
this whole game is mental. Now that its been around for a while ppl generally know what to do in most situations and can easily think about it when watching vids on youtube etc. but that ability to adapt and think in such ways mid-game/when its on the line is what defines ppl in this game.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Pocky - Well I apologize for having taken that the wrong way. One of my driving inspirations for my improvement is in securing consistent victories over anyone within my reach, because if I play well enough, I will, and achieving that level of play is improvement. If somebody is around my skill level, I should be capable of beating them if I play it right. If I lose to them, then I have something to learn from them about my playstyle. Due to this, I like to get more matches with those who beat me consistently, in tournaments, or both, because there's something I need to improve on if I'm losing to them, and playing them is the only way to find it and fix it to better myself as a player. Things like my MM with DoYoung aren't "revenge" but challenges to myself to improve on what I failed to do right. As far as I see it, dedication to finding your every flaw that leads to your losses is the gateway to becoming a better player, so I take every serious loss as an indicator to get back to work.
yes, and i wish i took losses that hard

A-Laon

Smash Master
I don't know what's restricting you but try your best to bring that cube. I would but such an event would be quite unlikely seeing as I don't even own one.

CaptainFalco30

Smash Cadet
I got a cube, I'll know probably by Wednesday whether I'll be able to go or not so I'll confirm then and bring my system if I can make it.

__HARM__

Smash Journeyman
yea i am officially having a smashfest at my place today, i have work until 2 so it would happen around 3. me or rob could pick up people from duquesne. having another settup woould be crucial.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
I would like to make note we are playing at my house today not Evan's and if either alan or takieddine need a ride I think Rob is calling you right now to offer you one so jump on it.

Pittsburgh Sucks.

Peace.

xyt

Smash Lord
because being korean and playing DDR are basically the same thing.
yes yes indeed @_@)..
i mean.. it's not like i randomly msg'd the guy
to see if he's gonna be in korea over the summer @_@)..
and it's most definitely not becuase his tag has "KOREAN" in it!
yup.. that's it..

Top Bottom