• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
For whatever it's worth, I read the whole Twilight series and it deserves pretty much all the hate that it gets. I went in with a mix of morbid curiosity and hope that it wasn't as bad as people said (since my gf at the time liked it), and honestly I couldn't find any redeeming value in them. It's really remarkable how little happened and that I didn't care about a single character after 2000 pages.

D

Deleted member

For whatever it's worth, I read the whole Twilight series and it deserves pretty much all the hate that it gets. I went in with a mix of morbid curiosity and hope that it wasn't as bad as people said (since my gf at the time liked it), and honestly I couldn't find any redeeming value in them. It's really remarkable how little happened and that I didn't care about a single character after 2000 pages.
i mean people bash it, but it's still money as **** so there must be some merit to it. even if it solely preys on the wallets of stupid people, that just makes it a brilliant marketing scheme. i don't think anyone here anyway actually likes the franchise, but "give credit where credit is due" i guess.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
i mean people bash it, but it's still money as **** so there must be some merit to it. even if it solely preys on the wallets of stupid people, that just makes it a brilliant marketing scheme. i don't think anyone here anyway actually likes the franchise, but "give credit where credit is due" i guess.
well, what credit do you think is due here? I mean, no one can argue about sales and it sure as **** made money, so if acknowledging that is giving the credit that is due, then consider it given.

but basically every literary criticism you can imagine applies to the series. the characters are shallow and boring, the plot involves essentially nothing happening, and the writing is lazy and bad (I think it took her 3 books before she found a new way to describe Edward's "crooked smile").

soooo, sure? I guess it's a brilliant marketing scheme, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't expose it as such and object to others treating it like it's anything other than a brilliant marketing scheme.

Vyke

Smash Champion
well, what credit do you think is due here? I mean, no one can argue about sales and it sure as **** made money, so if acknowledging that is giving the credit that is due, then consider it given.

but basically every literary criticism you can imagine applies to the series. the characters are shallow and boring, the plot involves essentially nothing happening, and the writing is lazy and bad (I think it took her 3 books before she found a new way to describe Edward's "crooked smile").

soooo, sure? I guess it's a brilliant marketing scheme, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't expose it as such and object to others treating it like it's anything other than a brilliant marketing scheme.
I think the series is more of a testament to how low standards have sunk and how people bandwagon onto things (both ways, to hate and to love.)

It's technically an awful series. But it isn't as if it's target audience actually cares about books.

http://i.imgur.com/QumgS.jpg

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
I'm ****ing done with this game. Every ****ing time we play smash is always ****ing Naka or Taki or someone who just ****ing run the rotation and nobody besides them get to play. And I just get so ****ing frustrated to the point where I just can't even focus to play one game. It's so stupid. The player who's in control of the rotation is playing every turn against players who can't get in any sort of rhythm because they have to sit out for two turns just to lose again. And it's only me who ever complains or brings it up. So I look like some ****ing scrub who's bad and just wants to play. But in the real. I'm sitting outside on my porch as Naka and stro play because i can't ****ing take it. And their in my room so I can't do anything till they're done.
Literally the worst ****ing feeling when people come over to smash and that what everyone's doing. And you can't play because your frustrated and can't focus because you suck. I may have played like 15 games compared to nakas 100. Must be ****ing nice.

Vyke

Smash Champion
You can always suggest "Swift Stocks" and a different rotation, you know. Instead of fuming you might want to talk about it rather than wait hours later to post about it on the boards. :| Cast aside yo pride to better yourself!

Also, Alan, you've never seen Fight Club?

takieddine

Smash Master
You can always suggest "Swift Stocks" and a different rotation, you know. Instead of fuming you might want to talk about it rather than wait hours later to post about it on the boards. :| Cast aside yo pride to better yourself!
this. also politely asking to play works, no one plays to keep everyone else from playing. you can get more setups or play winner out/3 stocks. but people around here forgot how to have fun with this game in general.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
^^^
YES!!

It's on.

Abate, have you ever tried edge-guarding with get-up attack after wave-landing off a platform into pratfall?

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Triangle rotation is a very good thing. So is open communication and not getting frustrated at friends/the game though :p if the game gets on your nerves, just take a break from it like me. Often that'll make you better at the game, too.

:phone:

takieddine

Smash Master
I'm ****ing done with this game. Every ****ing time we play smash is always ****ing Naka or Taki or someone who just ****ing run the rotation and nobody besides them get to play. And I just get so ****ing frustrated to the point where I just can't even focus to play one game. It's so stupid. The player who's in control of the rotation is playing every turn against players who can't get in any sort of rhythm because they have to sit out for two turns just to lose again. And it's only me who ever complains or brings it up. So I look like some ****ing scrub who's bad and just wants to play. But in the real. I'm sitting outside on my porch as Naka and stro play because i can't ****ing take it. And their in my room so I can't do anything till they're done.
Literally the worst ****ing feeling when people come over to smash and that what everyone's doing. And you can't play because your frustrated and can't focus because you suck. I may have played like 15 games compared to nakas 100. Must be ****ing nice.
You didnt suggest a single thing. You just complained then got offended when we tried to help out, but yeah **** you too.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
someone said something like "why not suggest (3 stocks, winner out, blah blah) when you playing rather then post about it blah blah.." AND I HAVE. But everytime i say something like that, everyone looks at each other like its such a farfetched idea. and then it just doesnt. i wish when i brought it up people were like. "yeah ok sure! thats fair!" but thats not what happens. ask naka zach bill or stro if i suggested winner out and explained why. i did like 4 times. and your right, i have lost the abillity to have fun with this game. but you gotta be actually playing to enjoy it. i think im just take a break. also "get over it" was cute

EDIT: http://www.twitch.tv/thesmashlife/b/312543683
2:10:43

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Winner out would be frustrating because that provides little reward for actually winning. I do agree with you that the whole traditional rotation system kinda sucks, though. It doesn't really seem fair that the better players get more practice, but that's kind of what we've become used to.

I've heard of a different rule set where we can do 2 stocks, and 4 minutes. Very fast-paced, but it might not be for everyone. And, it would make SDs even more frustrating, but it would make the rotation go much quicker. We can collectively decide on a rule set tonight.

Oh, and I didn't get a chance to do my Jazz homework, but the recitation was cancelled today. That's justice.

Yes, I'm coming to Duq.

<3 Smash.

Let me know when you guys are planning on being there. Until then, I'll be cleaning up this thing I call a room.

Edit: Hi, Johny.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
like i havent? and everyone always makes me feel bad for suggesting it. so i just deal with it. im sorry for my post. **** you all.
we are open to your suggestions. It is how you are presenting them that put everyone off. Next time you get mad at the game, take a break to cool off, come back when you're calm, and just ask if we can do (insert different rotation here).

Every time you've suggested we do another rotation you make yourself out to be some victim of things that only happen to you. Everyone would be a lot more responsive to you if you would just calm down and not rage/whine/complain after losing. We as a group just inherently ignore anyone who b*tches and moans. This is probably because we all understand that if anyone were to try and get them to stop/get over it/shut up about it then they would just get more angry and frustrated. If we sympathize with them then we are just justifying their raging and enabling them to keep doing it.

Honestly all of these problems can be solved if you can just find a way to calm yourself down and present your issues to everyone in a mature manner instead of flying off the handle every time.

This isn't a calling out or me trying to rip you to pieces. This honest advice from a friend that would like to help so you don't quit or become bitter over all of this. Unfortunately all we can do is give you advice on what to do.

Sorry you're having such a **** time with the game recently, but as much as you believe you're bad at the game you really aren't. The only thing that is keeping you from playing at your peak and getting even better is this anger and hot headedness of yours. I had the same problem, and once i started to just let things go and get a better mindset i started to get significantly better.

<3 you man. I really mean no disrespect by any of this and genuinely mean to try and help.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
i wish i could take a break. when were at my place and daveys asleep in the living room. theres nothing i can do to take my mind off smash. BUT ANYWAY I DID LIKE 3 TIMES. and came back calmer. got my *** whooped anyway.

try to understand how frustrating it is when then only thing you can do is play smash. and your never gonna get into a groove because you just lose and sit out then 10 minutes later, you lose and sit out again.

and again im sorry. clearly due to the responses its not the rotation thats the problem its me. so yeah... no duq for me. probably no smash for a while too. i cant have fun with it.

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
Dang, sorry to hear about that Carroll :(. But I agree, you should take a break if you aren't enjoying yourself. Melee is supposed to be for fun!

Also, I'm not going to Duq today, but my friend Pepe might be going. Treat him well, he's a good kid.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
A break can be a good idea for perspective. Ask Aaron, I used to rage ALLL THE ****ING TIME, but now I just do it on occasions; usually when I'm in a bad mood before I start playing . Anger isn't something you control; contrarily it's something you let go; not vent, but let go. If you're getting mad frequently then maybe a big break is in order. You'll come back a better player.

Cave Dweller

Smash Apprentice
Word, breaks are definitely a good thing in smash. It can be unbelievably frustrating to really work at it and not get rewarded. But the reward is all more sweet when it finally does arrive. And it definitely will arrive, just try and enjoy the ride until it does!

Also, in regards to the rotation dilemma, I agree that it can suck to have to sit out while some players get to play non-stop. But from the other perspective, learning how to get into a rhythm is really important in smash so I can see why people like it that way.

One possible solution (if there are 3 people playing on a setup) would be to let one player do 5 matches (or more or less, doesn't really matter) in a row regardless of win or loss and rotate his opponents. Then let the next player do 5 in a row and so on. That way everyone plays every other game at minimum but everyone also gets stretches where they get to play every game. Anyway, just my two cents. Stick with it Carroll, you're the ****.

Top Bottom