• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I have a class that ends at 1 on Friday, so I'll be able to get down to Pittsburgh around 2:30. Everyone should do me a favor and all be at Duq for a pickup, so I'm not wasting time in traffic picking up everyone. :D

Naka, how far is your apt. from Duq?

and address?
Apartment is 115 timber ridge court new Stanton PA 15672.

It is about 40mins away. Not sure with traffic. I know turnpike is the fastest way, but 376 may be backed up from rush hour traffic. Tis why the sooner you can leave the better. It doesn't clear up until 7-8pm

:phone:

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Mkay, this'll be much easier. No one has to go to DUQ!!!! Aaron, I'll pick you up at your place. Carrolls, I'll pick you boys up at your place too. You live right next to the Parkway so that works for me.

jbro

Smash Ace
Someone else we have to add to the Pittsburgh Music weeklies / monthlies / quarter-yearlies / bicentennials!

What do you play?
I play bass for a band called Dash City Skyline. Come check us out, yeeeeeah.

EDIT: posting this from Boston yeeeeeeaaaahhh

takieddine

Smash Master
Ambix, if you're willing to spot me, i can drive.

Edit: I think I may be fine, but what i mean is would you spot me if needed? Dont wanna go and get stranded out there.

jbro

Smash Ace
I was inebriated the other night and came up with a bunch of hashtag-toosoonami jokes.

I asked the Japanese businessman what he thought of the disaster, but he said he couldn't talk, he was drowning in paperwork. #toosoonami

Also, if anyone has some free time and wants to see what it feels like to be a new smasher, I wrote a probably-entirely-too-long blog post.

http://www.smashboards.com/news/blogs/192024/4812/chronicle-of-a-noob

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I was inebriated the other night and came up with a bunch of hashtag-toosoonami jokes.

I asked the Japanese businessman what he thought of the disaster, but he said he couldn't talk, he was drowning in paperwork. #toosoonami

Also, if anyone has some free time and wants to see what it feels like to be a new smasher, I wrote a probably-entirely-too-long blog post.

http://www.smashboards.com/news/blogs/192024/4812/chronicle-of-a-noob
That was actually a really cool post. But does this mean your quitting? That's kind of what i got towards the end, and i hope that ain't so.

jbro

Smash Ace
That was actually a really cool post. But does this mean your quitting? That's kind of what i got towards the end, and i hope that ain't so.
No. I've seriously contemplated it a few times.
Not trying to sound super lame right now, but if it wasn't for all of you guys, I would have by now.

I have to keep up my reputation as the greatest winless player of all time.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
lol, i am the same way. I wouldn't play nearly as much or try as hard to get better if Duq weeklies didn't exist. I go because it is fun to hang out with friends, and it isn't tryhard atmosphere where we only care about the game and getting better.

Also don't get too discouraged about accomplishments when it comes to tournaments. Just try and do better than you did last time. Hell i've been playing since 06 and i am still a no-name in the community. And i got horribly ***** the first few tournaments i went to. Like super hard.

It's just everyone is so good now-a-days. Before it was a chance you might do ok or get ***** at your first tournaments. Now it is almost an inevitability until you learn the basics.

jbro

Smash Ace
Which is one of the points I tried to get across with the blog post.
I didn't know what I was getting myself into and have gone through a lot of emotional stress because of it. I know very few people will read that, but if it helps A) any new players or B) anyone trying to being new people into the community, then it's gone beyond its purpose.
I've made a ton of new friends, and I'm thankful to Smash for that reason.
But as a game I still hate it, and I will until I can win games regularly.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Fellow bassist!

Tsunamis aren't funny
unless they hit Japan lolol

I've hated Smash Bros for 5 years

But I've loved my smashin' bros the whole time.

Peace.

Love.

Dignity.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Which is one of the points I tried to get across with the blog post.
I didn't know what I was getting myself into and have gone through a lot of emotional stress because of it. I know very few people will read that, but if it helps A) any new players or B) anyone trying to being new people into the community, then it's gone beyond its purpose.
I've made a ton of new friends, and I'm thankful to Smash for that reason.
But as a game I still hate it, and I will until I can win games regularly.
You should stop by Lothrop and game with us sometime!

Playing at Duq kind of sucks a lot of the time because we don't rotate, we just do winner stays. So if you're on a TV with someone else your skill level and someone like Taki, Naka, Aaron, etc., the chances of the weaker players getting to play each other are pretty low. Also it's really hard to learn the game when you only get to play once each rotation. It gets pretty frustrating which is why I go and hang out but don't really play unless I'm at a TV with only one person lol. Obviously the issue with that is that we're limited on setups, so getting to play 1v1s only happens at the end of the night when almost everyone is gone. Also, four person setups don't work well with a rotation :p

But yeah, you probably aren't as bad as you think you are. I don't know if we've even played (actually, to be honest, I don't even know who this is by your tag. Have we met/played? I'm Logan), but when you play winner stays you only get to go against the best person at the TV. If you played against other people near your skill level you'd probably do a lot better.

And finally... as far as winning goes, just learn your tech skill. Really well. It helps more than anything when you're still learning the game. :)

Edit: Also... if its any consolation, I've been playing this game competitively since 6th~7th grade. I'm now a junior in college, and I've only got a few set wins in non-local tournaments. And they were all in pools, not in bracket. So don't be disappointed by not having won anything at your recent tournaments. If you dedicate yourself to the game, you'll be a great player in what'll feel like no time at all. For me, I couldn't do it, i just don't have the necessary dedication to smash to keep competitive. Instead, I got serious at League of Legends, and I've gotten way better as a result. Just gotta have a passion for the game(s) you choose, and a lot of time :p

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
i agree with Logan about how stupid rotations are when you cant win. but wining should not be your main priority. you got to simply focus on why your losing/ why your getting hit. focusing on winning results in upsets and further more frustration. the meta-game is Turing into " being gay" which is what you need to understand to sort of mock it and follow it. this is much easier said then done. but for now (just starting and all) start looking for repeating situations then learn options for you and your character.
> simple example= you just got hit while you were in shield as sheik with foxes forward smash
simple options are: roll forward, or backwards. shield grab, jump.
harder options ( with "tech skill" ) : wavedash, short hop nair, jump cancel usmash .

there are for sure more options involving that situation, those were some more common ones .
but what im trying to tell you, is that you got to know your options (because they are limited)
as well as that you also need to learn "tech skill", im not telling you to learn some crazy jump cancel shine, short hop stuff, im more directing "tech skill" as the useful tricks in smash. such as wavedashing, l-cancleing and fast falling. there are a lot more, but for now focus on learning these, UNTIL YOUR CONSISTENT. then learn some even trickier tricks, like shield drops and wave landing from ledge.

main thing tho. is to know your options and know what you character's options are. and learn some tech skill

jbro

Smash Ace
You should stop by Lothrop and game with us sometime!
I would love to, but I don't know where that is.

I'm not sure if we've played, or formally met, but I'm sure we've seen each other. A couple people call me Jbro but everyone pretty much calls me Davey. I'm still fairly new but I'm Carroll's roommate so if he's at Duq there's a pretty good chance I'm there as well.

The issue is that there is no learning curve for this game.
It's a learning cliff. The work needed to be competitive (even with just friends) is overwhelming. But it's all good. I'm not trying to whine, I just felt like some people could benefit from seeing my point of view.

Definitely let me know about coming to play with you guys sometime though, that would be awesome.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I would love to, but I don't know where that is.

I'm not sure if we've played, or formally met, but I'm sure we've seen each other. A couple people call me Jbro but everyone pretty much calls me Davey. I'm still fairly new but I'm Carroll's roommate so if he's at Duq there's a pretty good chance I'm there as well.

The issue is that there is no learning curve for this game.
It's a learning cliff. The work needed to be competitive (even with just friends) is overwhelming. But it's all good. I'm not trying to whine, I just felt like some people could benefit from seeing my point of view.

Definitely let me know about coming to play with you guys sometime though, that would be awesome.
It's in Oakland, on Pitt's campus. If you know where towers are (the big battery-looking buildings), that's really close to us.

Are you on facebook? You can find me in Carroll's friends, Logan Baird

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Melee is the greatest game ever!!!! Don't ever give up!!!! YOU MUST RECOVER!!!! AT 400%!!!!!!

As far as being good goes. . . . you gotta get ***** to learn how to **** someone else. The metagame is so evolved nowadays, and this site provides adequate information on how to play this game successfully. The advantage of new players is learning all of the right things from good people and avoiding the development of bad playing habits.

Soak up info like a sponge, go out of your way to play and talk to good players, and most importantly have fun. It'll be a lot easier if you didn't keep a scoreboard on your sig too, unless you like negative motivation.

You can't look at them as losses but rather learning experiences, or your gonna want to quit every time you lose a stock. Saying that you're bad is just an insult to the pros; they're just really ****ing good, and you. . . . . . . well you're just getting started :luigi:

Edit: Oh and I hate not rotating too. If you guys don't like it you should say something LOGAN!!!!!, no one's gonna rip your head off for being fair. Duq smash is less about the smash and more about the bros. Learning outweighs winning, so the winner of a match shouldn't take away from everyone else's learning experience just cause they won.

jbro

Smash Ace
Soak up info like a sponge, go out of your way to play and talk to good players, and most importantly have fun. It'll be a lot easier if you didn't keep a scoreboard on your sig too, unless you like negative motivation.

You can't look at them as losses but rather learning experiences, or your gonna want to quit every time you lose a stock. Saying that you're bad is just an insult to the pros; they're just really ****ing good, and you. . . . . . . well you're just getting started :luigi:
It's strictly for the lulz.

The "best winless player" is just a running joke I have with my bros.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
So Im taking Ambix to New York I think. I heard Taki's driving as well. with Johnny. So is that two people in each of our cars????

Doesn't make sense. I apologize I need to post on here more, but my computer and phone suck.

Im 100% driving to ROM cause I also need to visit my sister so Ill need to be driving throughout the weekend. I'd only want $6.66 each in gas if more people come with me.

But you'd need a place to stay for Friday night (and Saturday night) cause Im driving to the city and staying there with non-smasher friends and I also would be leaving to come home late Sunday night.

Since I prob won't be able to check the boards, call or text (preferably text) at

724-681-2527 full homo

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Although I feel stupid since your right next me (Davey) lol

But if I may I'd like to share my smash upbringing.

I had smash 64 when i was a kid. Liked playing that a lot. But, like I did with all my games, stopped playing as soon as a got a new game. Same with melee. Played it hard when it was new but stopped when I got a new game. It wasn't till I was a freshman is high school when Johny. For what ever reason Johny had the urge to play smash64. And I would play it with him.. Had some fun remembered what a cool game it was. After a while we stopped playing again..

Then one day I was in study hall with my buddy's and it was a drag. It was the last period of the day and noooo one felt like doing anything productive. So the next day I bring in my n64 and we started playing 4foralls every day in study hall. And it was HYPE. It slowly evolved from everyday in study hall into every morning in home room.

We played that for a while. And then moved onto GameCube. More characters better stages (FD Corneria and hyrle temple were the only ones we used. Lol) more items. It was unreal fun. We used to all wear tags and record our KOs to see who had the most at the end of the month.

Then in 10th grade i start distincing myself from the rest of the kids. Always had the most KOs. Able to jump out and meteor smash with falcon. (used to be my favorite thing ever) and this was around the time that brawl was being released. So when brawl came out I playe that at my friends house a lot. Never noticed the big differences since I wasn't really that good. So I played that at home and melee at school. (thank god that wiis were really expensive because of I would have felt comfortable bring that to school. Or else I might be a brawl player... Lol)

But since all my friends played melee at school I stuck with that. Slowly we started moving away from four 4 alls with items to 1v1s with no items. We played 2 stock and winner stayed. I dont wanna say I'm the best. I would still lose sometimes but I knew I was.
Then one day at lunch my friend (Lon, falco player) told me about this guy named PC Chris. So I look him up and watch some of his MLG matches. But since he didn't play falcon I really didn't care to much to pay super close attention. But what I did see was a couple of techniques. Edge hogging was one of them. (I'm pretty sure I always knew how to tech. Idk I just remember alley doing it. Lol) but I remember showing my friends that and we started stealing the edge from each other. I couple of my froends started gettig good with me. My friend Kevin's yoshi/sheik/luigi (black shout caster guy from my tourney) my friend beau (an alright falco) how had their own little things. Dash dancing and stuff. That was about it technique wise until 11th grade.

Then about way thru my junior year me and Lon start playing hard core with each other. We start slowly learning some simple ATs (short hoping, dash dancing) and I remember not being able to do it with falcon so I switched to falco. I starting using short hop dair all day. Although eventually when I started being able to do it with falcon I switched back.

Then in my free time I started lookin t smash stuff in my free time. I was on smash wiki and YouTube all the time. I heard the name ken a lot so I looked him up. And once I saw "the ken combo" I fell in love. It was like a spike that you can set up! Looked awesome! So I started messin with marth. Saw some m2k marth matches and i was in awe.

So as Im watching all these Marths I start learning the more advanced things I saw them doing. (wavedashing and chain grabbing)
And my marth started playing my consistant then my falcon. So I stuck with him. At the same time. Lon was playing samus, ICs and spacies.
We played everyday and and slowly started getting a general feel for the metagame. So I googled "smash tourneys" And found smash boards.
I saw a ohio tourney in the summer and that was me and Lon's first tourney.

So since me, nor Lon had our licences at the time. Lon's dad drove us all the way to columbus for our first tourney.
We get there early and started warming up with each other and feeling alright. Then real players start showing up. COK showed up first. (drephen, watty, big R) we watched them play each other and were amazed. Other players showed also and we got started. Grand total:9 people. So the TO ran 2 pools. Me and Lon in seperate pools. ME AND LON PLAYED ALL OUR MATCHES AND GOT *****... both of us last place in our pool. (look up "Lon focus cancel" to see lons first tourney matches ever.)

So we leave humbled. Knowing that we put in all that work just to be in the bottom again. At this time I think Johny started playing with us more seriously. He used stupid chars like Kirby ness and then picked up sheik after I told him I got ***** by drephen. We still played everyday and went to another tourney. This time it was tourney at cohead and cambrias apartment. We played friendlies all day. And lost about 90% of them. We played a lot of the Ohio guys for the first time. (Minty, immp, dippindots, skyson, ect) long story short. Got super *****.. Again! But before I left I grabed a set vs THE Mew2king. Marth dittos, FD (ninja picked..lol) first game I got 0 to deathed twice to start off.. I didn't get JV5d.. But I only got maybe 24%.. But second game I grabbed him... And I was like omg. But still got *****. But I f throw into daired him (almost died, but he was like "I wasnt at 48%" lol) and I almost ken comboed him buy I missed the dair.. Got 4 stocked again.. But I almost took a stock of m2k. So I went home inspired.

Then came my senior year. We brought back the cube and started playing with the group of guys again. Only this time.. It wasn't even close.. I would get off on them all with any character. 4 stocking most kids. And I started to see real improvement. Me and Lon were so dominating in school that no one wanted to play anymore. Around this time me Lon and Johny went to pound 4. It was crazy!!! Playing and watching every good player I've ever heard of! This is where I actually met Taki. I had a Pittsburgh hat on and Taki came up to me and asked if I was from there. And he starts flipping out laughing. We talk a little about how crazy it is we met at pound and not in Pittsburgh.

But any way. Me and Lon entered singles and doubles.. And although we felt like we came so far. Me and Lin didn't win a single game in our pools..
Lon got ***** by d1, hdl, spawn. An I got ***** by skler, crismis, utto, and alanspectro@gmail.com.. Looooooooool
My marth got so **** on in tourney that didn't use him the rest of the weekend. Used my low tiers. Yoshi an Mario. I still probably lost 90% of my friendlies but it was an awesome tourney and had a blast.

Then came hope 1. It was a Pittsburgh tourney so me Lon and Johny and our friend chad entered. Me and
Lon teamed and first set was vs Hbox/Lake... Lon gets rested while it still says go.. He got owned.. But next we played. Roh and cave dweller and won. OUR FIRST TOURNEY MATCH AND SET WON!!!! It took us till our 3rd touney to win one game. So we were
Rollin!! We won another and ended up getting 4th. Out of 6. Lol

But then came singles. First round.. Lake... **** on me. With marth then zelda.. So of to losers (still never won a singles game or set at this point) so in losers I have to at my friend chad. A guy a played with a lot at my house. I knew I would win but i was closer then I thought it should have. I win 3-2 (Bo5 lol.) although I was my first win in singles it didn't feel legit because it was my friend I knew I was better then. So next I played some game named samsonites. I guy that just moved here from CA to go to CMU. Marth dittos. Idk how but I won. And it was great. Finally after about a year of practice and exp, I won a legit game and set. I was ontop of the world. So next I had to play Alan. Loooooooool marth vs falco. This was and still is my fave MU since I played it with Lon for hours. I lose game one, 3stock him game two :troll: and then I SDd to kill myself game three. Heart breaking but today MY FOURTH TOURNEY. I finally won a game/ match.

And sometime after I graduated high school me Lon and Johny started going to duq. And met all the Pittsburgh smah guys again and the rest is history.. I've been to 20 more tourneys and have been going to duq every friday since.

And just for the record. (I beat Taki the first 2!!!!! Times I played him!!! Marth vs falco)

TL;DR
I know It gets discouraging from time to time but this game is hard.. I played on a causal level for months and played/practiced everyday. And it took me a whole year to win a game.

But if you really want to start taking smash seriously you gotta put on the time. start learning the techniques and applying them. Watching videos and learning from other players. (although thy sounds more like a job, trust me itll be so much fun.) seeing your self slowly get better will drive you to want to reach that next level.

I mean look at Johny. Me and Lon use to take turns 4 stocking him and doing absurd combos. But he stuck with it, learned the game, PRACTICED ALOT, and now is beating really good people. All in less time then me. (also fun fact: Johny won his first ever tourney set. 2-0d john boney. Loooooooooool)

:phone:

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I love how I was a crucial part of that story haha....

As long as you try to have fun when you play and your friends like the game, you can't really quit playing melee...

And as long as your friends are better than you, you will get better at the game faster.

If you become the best of your friends, then comes the time when you either:
1. Find friends that are better than you to play with
2. Start researching and practicing new techniques you see online (dedicated method)
3. Post videos to get critiqued
4. Train your friends to be as good as you (making the community bigger!)

But Carroll I really enjoyed reading that ^ good post

Top Bottom