• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Bowser's dthrow animation is based on his target's weight. Jigglypuff and Game and Watch are so light, the attack doesn't actually hit.
What's more surprising, the fact that I have been playing this game seriously for 4 years and never knew that or the fact that Nintendo would program the game like that?

takieddine

Smash Master
I'll be the first to say this, but we are gonna have to ban controller throwing, or any sort of act of rage. If you are playing bad, just stop playing.

We dont want anyone to get hurt, nor do we want anything to be broken. So hopefully just saying this will prevent future incidents.

Its really dumb, and doesn't look especially good on us using a venue we can get kicked out of.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
I'll be the first to say this, but we are gonna have to ban controller throwing, or any sort of act of rage. If you are playing bad, just stop playing.

We dont want anyone to get hurt, nor do we want anything to be broken. So hopefully just saying this will prevent future incidents.

Its really dumb, and doesn't look especially good on us using a venue we can get kicked out of.
This is real talk.

A-Laon

Smash Master

Or take it outside. Controllers shatter better on pavement anyway. :D

gouda

Smash Journeyman
My apologies to everyone for my rage on Friday, 'twas not a good day for smash. On a positive note, I've fell in love with one of my spare controllers and it's joystick. On a WAY more negative note, I wrecked my mom's car on the way back from butler last evening. From butler to Mt. Lebanon, considering my route includes 28 south, which is a mess, is just waaaay too long at 2 in the morning :'[ my trips there will become limited. Unless I get a stick shift like Naka so I have something to keep me focused.

But Aaron is in his new house ^.^ mission accomplished in my book. (I got a metronome out of it!)

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
How did you wreck it thomas? Thats awful.

And no, i wasnt calling out anyone in particular, a lot of us are guilty of it, myself included 1 time.
I am also.

I overlooked what Thomas said about wrecking his car, I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you were kinda tired while driving? I hope everyone is ok, and the car isn't too bad.

Anonalbe

Smash Cadet
oh wow, didn't know you played as well. i'm thinking of picking the game up again when cata comes out. i'll be a gladiator once again in no time!

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
oh wow, didn't know you played as well. i'm thinking of picking the game up again when cata comes out. i'll be a gladiator once again in no time!
D20, A-laon, CABC, Skyshroud, and I all play on Magtheridon Alliance side. Taki use to play, but he has since resigned. Naka is considering coming back, but he is on horde side on Mag.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
How do you intend to ban an emotion? I can understand the good intentions behind what you're stating, but i don't see how you or anyone else can really enforce a penalty on someone when they do rage or toss their controller. : /

It is a good idea, and i would love to stop breaking my controllers, but i just do not see how this can work.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Why is there so much rage right now anyways. Makes going to weeklies not as fun when everyone's so super serious about it, lol.

I'm not gonna be an ******* and try to tell other people how to act, it just used to not be nearly as bad as it has been recently.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
How do you intend to ban an emotion? I can understand the good intentions behind what you're stating, but i don't see how you or anyone else can really enforce a penalty on someone when they do rage or toss their controller. : /

It is a good idea, and i would love to stop breaking my controllers, but i just do not see how this can work.
I think you may have misunderstood Taki, he isn't saying don't get mad. He's saying don't make a scene. There is no reason to throw a controller or actually rage out, we are all friends and for the most part these games are friendly. Nothing is on the line, none of it actually matters in the grand scheme of things, we are all there to hang out and have fun. Furthermore, we are not the ones enforcing the penalty. We are just merely suggesting that if we would like to continue to enjoy the Duquesne facilities for our video game playing, we should refrain from such outbursts. Realize also that whether we like it or not, Duquesne is a Catholic University, therefore swearing and things of that nature are generally frowned upon, so yeah on a whole we should do our best to keep this to a minimum and not bring as little attention to us as possible. Quite frankly when it all comes down to it, when we (and I say this because I definitely include myself) act in this manner, it typically puts a negative tension in the air that rains on the generally happy and fun mood of the weeklies.
Its like this, if we do our best to remove the rage from the weeklies, will it really impose any ill effect on the typically enjoyable experience it is? (If you think so then you can frankly stop coming)
Rather, if we continue to rage whenever we feel, bringing negative attention to ourselves, we may soon find that we have no place to play because we slowly become unwelcome as a result of the way we act.
Now which seems like a better scenario to you? (philosophical 'you' I am targeting no one here because I include myself, and this post is merely a result of what Chris said expanding on what I inferred from Taki's original post)

Edit: I know part of why I show up is to get better also, and I know that is the case for most of us. Regardless, I know if I get beat by everyone there 1000 times, I shouldn't get mad, I should just push myself to get better and play better. Getting mad doesn't help anyone play better or get better, not even yourself.

Vyke

Smash Champion
I was thinking about getting back into WoW (For like the <NUMBER NOT FOUND> time) for Cata, but I think I can safely sit this expansion out. And the next six after it.

I'm sure I'll hop on the Merry-Go-Round again sometime, though.

takieddine

Smash Master
I just think Melee rage is stupid. The game is broken, accept, deal with it, especially for something we've been playing so long and understand the mechanics. There just isnt a reason to act out on emotions when you can simply work on what you dont think you are doing right (I think self-blame will have to come in handy here, instead of lashing out at the game).

And thusly this case is closed.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Logically that would be sound, but alas we are not creatures of logic. Any competitive environment will lead to anger or something similar... seems pretty silly (read: impossible) to stop. If you don't want to be angry, just take a break.

"If you do not wish to be prone to anger, do not feed the habit; give it nothing which may tend to its increase."

takieddine

Smash Master
Seems like every time i say something it gets taken out of context, again just plain and blunt.

If you are mad and think you are gonna rage out, dont play, simple. Not banning emotions, but banning ACTING out your anger.

I understand how some of us do it jokingly, but it creates an awkward atmosphere when it gets serious, and just makes things less fun. So there is that, no hard feelings towards anyone but I just feel like someone had to say it.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Throwing your controller damages the integrity of it.

Damaging the integrity of your controller will give you less control over your character.

Less control over your character means that you will play worse.

Playing worse makes you lose more.

Losing more will make you throw your controller.

Vicious circle.

tl;dr : Throw Logan instead of your controller.

Two birds.

One arrogant Fox.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Wall-o-text
The way i read it made it sound like he thought we should putting penalties on people when they do rage or throw their controller. Things like "we should ban" and reading it after a long and tiring day kind of give you a one track mind. lol

Things are bound to get salty and serious eventually because we are being competitive. Yea it is dumb, but it is the nature of it.

takieddine

Smash Master
Yeah, the nature of it, but not impossible to control. This is not for the sake of scolding someone, its rather for the benefit of our continued use of the facilities there, as breaking things is a very big issue they don't take kindly to there, and when they are threatened by nerd rage, they will kick us out.

TheLake

Smash Master
How did we get the night spot back anyways?

Gerald is the truth

some times ya need a little salt in your diet

a little rage with ya chilli

and beans to let it out

eat some beans me buccos <3

A-Laon

Smash Master
The rage doesn't need to happen. Even if personal frustrations and tensions may prove to be "the nature of things," as soon as one can make any indication of such things getting to them, it's time to just put the controller down and take a break. Even aside from ensuring we don't lose our privilege of smashing there, the outward hostility and rage puts a depressing atmosphere over the whole event and so can spoil the game for everyone. For the sake of everybody else, we all need to try to put a personal cap on how frustrated we're allowing ourselves to get before doing the responsible thing and cooling off.

I vote we designate Logan as our communal stress-relief punching bag.

gouda

Smash Journeyman
The rage doesn't need to happen. Even if personal frustrations and tensions may prove to be "the nature of things," as soon as one can make any indication of such things getting to them, it's time to just put the controller down and take a break. Even aside from ensuring we don't lose our privilege of smashing there, the outward hostility and rage puts a depressing atmosphere over the whole event and so can spoil the game for everyone. For the sake of everybody else, we all need to try to put a personal cap on how frustrated we're allowing ourselves to get before doing the responsible thing and cooling off.

I vote we designate Logan as our communal stress-relief punching bag.
Nah, I'll volunteer for punching bag duties. TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM.

And I'm fine, the car is repairable. I just side swiped the two orange squares that stick out from a concrete divider on 28 (fing construction) I've got two perfectly parallel gashes/lines down the passenger side of my car that has left the door non-openable.

Top Bottom