• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Vyke

Smash Champion
Smash tomorrow at my place, in the evening. Come any time after 3 PM. Matt, I hope you can get Alan. Someone... who can drive... please come and bring moar peoples. Like... bring Taki. And Rob. And people that aren't busy or people that are busy and want to come anyway.

Google maps or Mapquest, SOONNNN. Bring any set-ups you can, we've got 2.

264 Moorehead Road
Sarver PA, 16055

xyt

Smash Lord
So far only one car seems to be going to The Middle of Ohio III Tournament..
If i'm not mistaken, Rob is taking me, Swift, Taki, and HARM.
THere are actually 3 guys at CMU who want a spot so.....
anybody else driving?
Ben? Matt? Naka? any of the Butler guys?

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Smash tomorrow at my place, in the evening. Come any time after 3 PM. Matt, I hope you can get Alan. Someone... who can drive... please come and bring moar peoples. Like... bring Taki. And Rob. And people that aren't busy or people that are busy and want to come anyway.

Google maps or Mapquest, SOONNNN. Bring any set-ups you can, we've got 2.

264 Moorehead Road
Sarver PA, 16055
I...cant...reach...!

Vyke

Smash Champion
We're probably not going to go to the Ohio Tournament. Well, at least I won't be driving them... 'cus I'm super lame.

I... CAN'T... LOSE!

M@v

Subarashii!
December smash tourney in the works!

Hey guys. Me and several friends are in the process of planning a melee/brawl tourney(We want to make sure everyone is happy). We are very positive we are going through with it. Anyway, we can host on two possible weekends but we are not sure if it will be one or two days(depending how long we can get the venue for). If its two days, melee will be one day brawl will be another, similar to Smashtastrophe II. If only one day is available, melee and brawl will be on the same day. The tourney location will be in Pittsburgh. We are down to 3 possible locations. I will update this when we have confirmed the location. Lastly, as for tourney types, it looks like there will be singles, doubles, and low tier tourneys for both melee and brawl.

The two possible weekends:
Dec.20th-21th
Dec.27th-28th

I know its tough around the holidays, but its the only time that all of us are back from college.
If we can only get it for one day, we will likely use Saturday, so it will be either 21st or the 28th. I'm just asking for input so we know what day would be better for you guys.

The Weekend of Dec. 21st?
or
The Weekend of Dec.27th?

M@v

Subarashii!
If you want to. I sent you a pm with contact info. Call me sometime. This would be our 1st time hosting a (hopefully) big tourney, so any help would be appreciated.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
If you want to. I sent you a pm with contact info. Call me sometime. This would be our 1st time hosting a (hopefully) big tourney, so any help would be appreciated.
may i suggest go ahead and pick a date and start setting stuff up. I rather have the host pic a date and make a solid stand and provide info etc early as possible rather than surveying for dates.

Suggestions:

get a set in stone date for now
take pics of the venue to post up here
notify pplz of the duration (1/2/3 day tourney?)

If it is melee and brawl you are almost guaranteed a decent turnout from the area, so I see no need to hesitate on finalization on the when/where. these are just my suggestions

M@v

Subarashii!
ok sounds good. We will try to have all 3 questions answered soon. We are down to 2 dates, 3 possible venues, duration will be either one or 2 days, pending the time we get the venue for. And ill post the venue with directions once its decided. Basically, when the questions are answered, you will see a thread pop up for it ^_^. Im basically figuring it like this:

I know from smashtastrophe II, people will travel for a major melee tourney, so Im guessing the melee tourney will consist of people from a wider area, and the brawl tourney will likely be more localized along with some of the guys who came for melee, since I havent seen to many people around here travel for JUST a brawl tourney.

D

Deleted member

I will not be holding any tournaments anymore, I have gone to a major tournament and decided that it is not possible for Brawl to be a competitive game no matter how much you tweak the rules.

D

Deleted member

frankly, I see Melee as a dead game. I will take a closer look at the remaining melee community soon.

M@v

Subarashii!
Not dead to us. I mean its probably way less of a fanbase, but its a dedicated fanbase, so you'll get OOS attention hopefully.
This is why Me and my friends have decided to make our tourney both melee and brawl, so EVERYONE can come out, have fun, and compete hard in their favorite game. I know how dedicated melee players are. People came in from as far as jersey for smashtastrophe II(maybe farther, I dont know, I merely attended) In hosting this tourney, we want people to compete hard, but also have fun doing it. I'm hoping we can get enough setups so we can have a couple TVs dedicated to friendlies only.

From the tournies I have been to, I see brawl having competitiveness in it, not as much as melee, but still plenty. I have not seen tripping, the major hinderance in brawl, affect the outcome of a tourney match, AS OF YET(I know its going to happen sooner or later). But other than that, you can definately tell whos good and whos bad in brawl. And no, MK is not ruining brawls metagame. And yes, hes perfectly beatable. If people would just learn the freaking matchup and stop complaining about it, things would be so much calmer around here.

Vyke

Smash Champion
No arguing about a game that wasn't meant for competitive play.

If anything, we argue about Melee. At least arguments about Melee aren't moot from the very beginning.

Oh, and Mow, you don't have to hold tournaments. You could just hold a Smash get-together planned for a certain date and plenty of people in PA would still show up. The game is still fun with people, thus the idea behind the game.

M@v

Subarashii!
No arguing about a game that wasn't meant for competitive play..

they never meant for melee to comptetive either:). And it pwned the competitive scene. But anyway, we will try to get the stuff for this melee/brawl tourney finalized, and the thread will hopefully be ready soon. All we really need to do still is lock down one of the 3 possible venues.

A-Laon

Smash Master

Vyke

Smash Champion
they never meant for melee to comptetive either:). And it pwned the competitive scene.
Right, they didn't. And that was a "Beautiful Mistake".

Brawl was engineered to be a non-competitive game because of that mistake. The difference between the two was Melee's competitiveness was unintended, while Brawl's is forcibly squandered. Intentionally.

I like both games. I just don't take Brawl seriously anymore. Gave it a chance, found Melee to be more fun and gratifying. That's all.

Btw, MGS4 is the best game ever (and I'm only half way through). I only wish I could exaggerate that.

D20

Smash Lord
Guys, the tournament this Saturday is nearly 3.5 hours away. Do we really want to go to it? If everyone wants to go, I'll still drive... it is just farther than I expected.

M@v

Subarashii!
Smash tourney almost finalized

Right, they didn't. And that was a "Beautiful Mistake".

Brawl was engineered to be a non-competitive game because of that mistake. The difference between the two was Melee's competitiveness was unintended, while Brawl's is forcibly squandered. Intentionally.

I like both games. I just don't take Brawl seriously anymore. Gave it a chance, found Melee to be more fun and gratifying. That's all.

Btw, MGS4 is the best game ever (and I'm only half way through). I only wish I could exaggerate that.
I've been trying to play MSG4...just need a ps3 to play it X_X

Anyway, it looks like all the details for the melee/brawl tourney my friends and I got going should be hammered out real soon, including a name for this tourney. We will have plenty of space, each location can comfortably house 60+, its down to: The cafeteria or the gym of my grade school, or the firehall of a local district. Its whoever we can get for the days we want, and better price. BTW,we are shooting for the weekend of dec.27th, dec.28th . Hopefully I can get a thread up by the beginning of next week if all goes smooth.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
fvck dudes melee is DEAD play brawl @ssholes

chump @zz b|tches

i c you waveshining

Top Bottom