• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Wow Tim that is really unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess I will come play you tomorrow if you come to the Nitespot.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I got my Halo 3 copy after getting home afterschool today, though I spent the whole day wearing my "Master Chief dies in the end" shirt and ruining everybody's day.

Gamertag is Moaw91 for those interested.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Nvm, now I know who Moaw91 is on my buddy list without asking an awkward "Who are you?"

xyt

Smash Lord
I got my Halo 3 copy after getting home afterschool today, though I spent the whole day wearing my "Master Chief dies in the end" shirt and ruining everybody's day.

.........................................I hate you....

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace

.........................................I hate you....

And you didn't see this coming how?

Anyway since when is the storyline the reason people play Halo? I personally thought the storyline was garbage...

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Go **** yourselves.

Time for Halo.
Isn't this slightly hypocritical?

Anyway I agree with Alan, PC shooters are way hotter than console shooters. The best case in point recently was F.E.A.R.. I played it for PC months before it came out on 360 and it was amazing. I played it a little bit on 360 and it wasn't nearly as good, for multiple reasons (graphics, AI, particularly controls). PC does the 1st person shooter the best, but consoles own 3rd person shooters (Gears, RE4, Socom, ect.).

Edit: I won't be at the Nitespot at all today, I have to much to do. From what I gather no one is playing today that I know of. Unless Taki and Rob are for a little.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
i played halo last night. omg that games cheats soooo hard. it has my approval of "cheatin a$$ game".......that blue EMP **** keeps f**kin gettin me...... its bull****. and the hammer is ***, but ive always liked Halos engine and everyone in their mother here got it so im definietly sur ei'll be playing more of it. I'll just apply my smash strategies.

A-Laon

Smash Master
i played halo last night. omg that games cheats soooo hard. it has my approval of "cheatin a$$ game".......that blue EMP **** keeps f**kin gettin me...... its bull****. and the hammer is ***, but ive always liked Halos engine and everyone in their mother here got it so im definietly sur ei'll be playing more of it.
That's a bold deathwish.

A-Laon

Smash Master
The balancing of gameplay elements in any competitive game is crucial to its success, and, of course, Melee is no different. As a matter of fact, Melee's unique gameplay purpose -- that of keeping the opponent off stage as opposed to depleting health -- adds new twists and additions to the typical chore of game balance. One such addition is that of recovery moves, a critical aspect of any character’s defensive game. Unfortunately, there was a severe flaw in development of this department. Due to a generally poor reach, fundamentally limited options, and a deadly physical characteristic of the character, Falco’s recovery was made far too poor.

Without even tapping on the subjects of mental play and variety, a good recovery move requires a suitable reach for covering the potential distance to the stage, something that Falco’s recovery horribly lacks. His firebird covers an abysmally short distance, made even shorter with any necessary angling of its direction. Due to this, any even remotely significant hit puts Falco in a veritably hopeless position to recover from. To make matters worse, any blow taken off the stage – a great possibility with the horrid charge time on the firebird – veritably guarantees Falco will be put far out of recovery range. With the pathetic lack of potential for the firebird to ever allow Falco to reach the stage, one must typically turn to the illusion which, quite insultingly, creates its own lengthy list of problems.

Perhaps a recovery with little distance-coverage could be compensated for with variability and unpredictability, allowing Falco to sneak past edgeguards and recover anyway; naturally, though, such is not the case. Falco’s illusion, the second blunt sword in his arsenal of worthless recovery moves, is nothing but a mindless straight zip towards the stage. The only reasonable option with this move is to aim for the ledge, being susceptible to effortless edgeguards from even the least vigilant of opponents. As if in an attempt to make Falco’s time airborne even more inevitably disastrous, the move is programmed with a distinct, high-pitched start-up sound, providing a convenient tool for edgeguarders to time even their trickiest finishers with in order to put this bird to death. Falco’s recovery can’t even measure up in the mindgame department.

As it would seem, Falco’s recovery couldn’t possibly be any worse; however, the developers didn’t hesitate to add one more charge in order to secure his death sentence: the attribute of fast-falling. Even with tragically terrible moves to recover with, a typical character could survive by being sent high enough that they can cover significant recovery distance while falling towards the stage. Falco doesn’t enjoy this luxury seeing as every hit he takes makes him drop like a tank full of lead bricks. Even with optimal directional influence on most moves, Falco’s stage clearance will be minimal, if even existent, forcing him to utilize his laughable duo of recovery moves while level with or below his edgeguarder, pretty much promising him a pitiful downfall. Yes, even the worst recoveries can be made even more horrible, and fast-falling is how it’s done.

It truly is a shame to see such a proud and powerful character as Falco perpetually fall to his demise with such humility, yet his horrid excuse for a recovery makes that sad story a constant, tragic reality. With greater reach, Falco could conquer great distances with ease. If gifted with greater variability, the blue bird could outwit and out-maneuver his foes with rewarding grace. If not plagued by such an intimate relationship with gravity, our avian hero could proudly soar high above his prey, scoffing at their lack of aerial prowess. Sadly though, all those shall remain deep wishes, realized only in the imagination of the blue bird and all his fans, for Falco’s recovery sucks ****ing balls.

takieddine

Smash Master
Well i see you didnt forget your promise on an essay about falco's recover...I would sig it but it wont show all of it, nor will people read it...

I need you to state that Falco's recovery sucks ballz, so i can sig it.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Im not gonna come this weekend to pittsburgh (especially with all this halo buisness), but Im gonna try and make it down in the next few weeks to play with you guys.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
samus's recovery is so bad probally worse than falcos.
Almost as bad as Mewtwo or Jigg's recoveries.

Can I be the first to say that Halo 3's multi player did not impress me, maybe because it was way to over hyped and fell way short of the hype or maybe its because arena shooters aren't my style. I don't know, either way when I was playing/watching it I was like "Is this Halo 3, (isai) I'm not impressed."

Super Smash and Gears 4 evar.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Halo 3 multiplayer is insanely fun, you just need to find a good group. Personally, I pretty much only play with my friends and their friends, and it's always a good time.

But regardless, when it comes to the fast-paced action of shooters:

Gears -- 4 miles per hour
Halo -- 40 miles per hour
Unreal -- 400 miles per hour

Top Bottom