• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

D20

Smash Lord
Anyone riding in -9Volt+'s car, my phone number is 412-327-9199. Call if you get lost. I've been there several times, so I have a good idea of where it is.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
@King Beef-Thanks, u too. It was too close.
@Swift-I figured out ur jiggs problem. Just main pika. And I figured out the DVD burning problem too. You know how in XP, you drag the files over to the DVD drive, then click "Burn this DVD?" Well in vista, when you drag them over, it just burns it automatically. So ur DVD was burned the whole time XD.

Sorry about that red light guys, I swear i've never done that. Pittsburgh is the only city where its perfectly ok for a big *** truck to park in the middle of a 2 lane street, right in front of a red light. /sigh

Shwas good fun.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about that red light guys, I swear i've never done that. Pittsburgh is the only city where its perfectly ok for a big *** truck to park in the middle of a 2 lane street, right in front of a red light. /sigh
O **** joe!

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Happy birthday Alan and Taki.

Good **** Joe(Tim).

M2k, So Nice.

Anyway we should run a friendly smasher of the day tournament this Friday, I will bring Tio and it can be a grand time.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
those guys rly dont look like they care enough to even be bothered. i mean its not like poker where money and chips are on the table all of the time, we can make a pot, then put it away (like most pots are) then distribute @ the end in like evelops or whatever.

First of all the above statement is a posisbility and im not saving that i want it or not, but I would like to say that counting out DUQ for holding small money tourneys(DUQ fridays) shouldnt be out of the question IMO. I dont wanna sound bias or anything but i guess I have no choice seeing as i'll probly win majority of them >_>

plus some of us arent comfortable with money on the line with hd's and component cables....so i actually would be for and suggest if ppl want money in it for the tourney exp, is to get one TV and run a mini RR pool. while others play friends on the other TV and/or TV's

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I dont think id put money on em. I liked the idea we had at IHOP. For friendlies, everyone play a 3 game set, but only if we have 3 or 4 TVs, kuz it could make waiting annoying.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I don't exactly see the point in taking hours away from friendly play in order to accommodate what are fundamentally meaningless tournies comprising of the same 11 people every week.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
I was thinking just a friendly tournament, just to get organized sets in, its just a way to get everyone to play their best and in a tournament scenario. Can't everyone at least try to play serious when money isn't on the line, I mean wouldn't you want to get quality tournament practice in without wasting money, lets get serious, Tim is just being modest saying he would probably win most of them, he'd win all of them (for all who watched him play Vidjo this weekend, you know what I'm talking about). As for 2nd and 3rd I don't want to start a discussion that is beside the point so I'll keep it to myself, but they would also be 2 people consistently, for the most part.
Just think about how nice it would be to get serious tournament practice for free, all everyone has to do is try, and thats not asking much. Heck if you don't try, then whatever it can still benefit the group of us that would if it is indeed a majority.

A-Laon

Smash Master
The unfortunate flaw in that idealism is that organizing inane systems of sets for regular locals to play each other over and over again every week and calling it a tournament doesn't actually make it any more serious or official. If you "seriously" want to test your skills and improve, then don't take friendlies for granted in the first place and learn from everything that presents itself. If anybody seriously needs to organize humble weeklies into systemized competitions just so they can "play their best", then they need to Learn 2 Play.

pockyD

Smash Legend
just ask to play janky stages; i know i personally am always up for playing any legal stages (so long as you aren't over-the-top campy)

if you do a "friendly" (read: free) tournament you won't get the real tournament experience anyway; may as well play straight-up friendlies and let everyone play, especially when there are only one or two TVs there

On another note i will have my wii+cables this friday; doesn't really mean much because there's usually only 5-6 people left by the time i show up but just worth pointing out

takieddine

Smash Master
I don't exactly see the point in taking hours away from friendly play in order to accommodate what are fundamentally meaningless tournies comprising of the same 11 people every week.
So you can get better at counterpicking, and getting counterpicked. ...less jonz...

I liked the idea so people would hopefully step it up, and play at their fullest. repetitive friendlies don't really do that when you dont have a bracket to see at the end.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
just ask to play janky stages; i know i personally am always up for playing any legal stages (so long as you aren't over-the-top campy)

if you do a "friendly" (read: free) tournament you won't get the real tournament experience anyway; may as well play straight-up friendlies and let everyone play, especially when there are only one or two TVs there

On another note i will have my wii+cables this friday; doesn't really mean much because there's usually only 5-6 people left by the time i show up but just worth pointing out
i'll play you with all legal stages on random. Cause i need to learn them, and we only play neutrals anyway.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
What would be the best weekend to go to Pittsburgh?
Go Here Oct. 19-21

For anyone interested, I did a little messing around on Tio and figured out everyone's placings (except Volt and Dale because I don't know how many matches they won/loss).

Tim-3rd
Alan-5th
Volt-5th
Kevin-7th (I'm shaky on yours I put you down for losing your first game then winning 5 losers brackets games, then losing)
Me-13th
Evan-13th
Rob-17th
Taki-Nth (Where N is the value of the the function (5x(squared)-16)/(3x-10) as X approaches infinity)

Ah yeah so gg everyone.

And I still agree with Taki, who I believe is agreeing with me, but if he isn't agreeing with me, then I'm not agreeing with him.

If your playing friendlies and everyone isn't even trying, then what are we accomplishing by sitting their for 6 hours and playing friendlies? Nothing. At least if we do a friendly tournament it might motivate people to play better, because like Taki said, there are results that reflect your play. You can visualize how you have improved from week to week. Whereas if we are playing friendlies, the only results we get are, "Well I beat Taki 2 times then he beat me 5 times, I beat Wesley and Kevin 5 times each, but I'm not sure they were trying, I beat Tim 3 times, but he was talking to Rob every time so he wasn't focused, I ***** Rob, but thats nothing new...ect."

The bottom line is, if we hold a friendly tournaments I believe the results would be enough motivation for everyone to try. Who wants to say they placed worse than me, and their only john is "It was a friendly tournament", weak.

Top Bottom