• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

D20

Smash Lord
About tournaments at Duquesne on Fridays...

1) Why would you not want to get better at simply playing sets? It would help with stage banning and counter picking.

2) Mowfest was $1... and everyone went all out. Is it really all about the money for you guys? I don't know about you, but I'd play this game for a slice of pizza.

3) Drive yourself to a f***ing tournament. It sucks to drive over 2 hours to a tournament only to get knocked out in a half an hour. If I'm traveling to a tournament, I'd like to have the confidence of knowing what to do in many situations. Anyone that doesn't place at a tournament that's several hours away is wasting $15 to enter, $5-$10 on gas, and 12 hours of their day.

PS - I agree with Tim.

D20 out.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot matt. Also, I'd like to say that i'd pay $1 for pools. Thus, I agree with Tim. Also, theres no freakin trains or buses that take me to u guys. ****!

pockyD

Smash Legend
1) well what i get out of 6 hours of friendlies (theoretically; nowadays it's more like 2 hours) is FUN. If you don't have fun playing the game, why bother? there's not enough time to get to a good competitive level where you'll be raking in the money; i know i pretty much just play for fun. I just under $300 in entry fees this summer and i didn't win a dime, and yet i don't regret it at all. sorry if you guys feel differently but playing friendlies is NOT a loss

2) you are underestimating how long a decent-sized round robin would take on 1 TV

3) i ran the brackets on-site for the ohio thing and i came up with

1. Vidjo
2. 4% APR
3. Swiftbass
4. Camper Bob
5. A-Laon
5. SciFiGuy
7. pockyD

I didn't bother checking for anyone below me... lol. but whoever alan beat right before he lost to camper bob also got 7th (9volt if that's you, then that's where you go)

4) as long as YOU take a game seriously, that's all that matters. who cares if taki is screwing around and SDs every game? if you can still take his 3 stocks playing the way you would want to play in a tournament, then why would you have any regrets? are you affected that badly if i don't bother trying to smash DI out of your uthrow uair? (which i almost never succeed in doing in tournament anyway)

The purpose of a friday tournament would pretty much just be to see where you stand (if this is what you guys want, then sure, i'm for a tournament... i'm sorry if people are under the misconception that i'm anti-tournament; i'm just against running a tournament on the basis of "practice"). If you WANT practice, then just choose to play it hard when you're doing your friendlies, money matches, whatever.

takieddine

Smash Master
I say we do tournaments to get better at tournaments. Develop a counterpick startegy etc...

like it won't take all day, so there is still the standard friendlies. and yes a bracket to weigh your improvement is nice too.

xyt

Smash Lord
i agree w/ taki/pocky/tim
so... to organize..

1)friendlies are NOT worthless as long as you take it seriously and play your best

2)tournaments should be run get better at tourny play (counter picking etc.)

3)a friendly wager of $1 is good because it adds a competitive edge and gets you more into it

conclusion:given enough ppl and set ups, let's do it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
what i meant is if you want to play on japes, then tell me you want to play on japes and we can do it... you can get your practice, but i will get mine as well (like i said, i would never use IC on poke floats, so i'm not going to practice IC on poke floats)

also, i just read all the posts and apparently alan and i are in agreement? ............................

edit: final note: as long as you guys are all convinced that you will never beat tim, then you will never beat tim. and you think tim has exponentially more tournament experience than any of you? a big reason why he's so good is because he chooses to try and practice important elements in friendlies. your improvement is limited only by how much you want to improve. you could continue to blame inexperience, brackets, whatever, or you can find the flaws in your game and fix them. or you could just stop taking it so seriously and enjoy one of the best games ever made without turning everything into a competition

edit2: those last two things are mostly separate thoughts. there's nothing wrong with playing for the competition; just that if you do that, then YOU have to be the one to take it seriously; don't pin it on other people

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
3) i ran the brackets on-site for the ohio thing and i came up with

1. Vidjo
2. 4% APR
3. Swiftbass
4. Camper Bob
5. A-Laon
5. SciFiGuy
7. pockyD

I didn't bother checking for anyone below me... lol. but whoever alan beat right before he lost to camper bob also got 7th (9volt if that's you, then that's where you go)
Volt got 5th as long as what he told me is truthful, and I ran a mock of it on Tio and just double checked it). Oh and to add to my other post, Justin got 9th.

So I am assuming we are going to go through with the practice tournaments idea, and the idea of $1 being involved is still in the air.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to improve on my game. I am just not sure what is wrong with it. So in friendlies, all I focus on is trying to win. But when I play against Tim, Pocky, Alan, etc. I don't know how to play them. They're just better than me, i dont know how. Like in OH, I played one person, whom once I knew I was better than, I was able to control the match. Unlike against Tim, when all I had was CC downsmash whenever he missed an L cancel. But when hes on top of me with shines, pillars, and grabs, I freeze and just try to DI away. (BTW, that didnt work well)

So any help would be soooooo friggin appreciated.

pockyD

Smash Legend
You probably missed on some people getting 1st-round byes or something

to reverse engineer it...

tim got 3rd

all of the following are in the loser's bracket...

his last win was camper bob, so camper bob got 4th

before that, tim beat scifiguy, so scifiguy got 5th

at the same time, camper bob beat alan, so alan got 5th

there can only be 2 5th-place finishers in a double-elim tournament

i'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble; this is just how it works out

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
as long as you guys are all convinced that you will never beat tim, then you will never beat tim. and you think tim has exponentially more tournament experience than any of you? a big reason why HES SO NICE is because he chooses to try and practice important elements in friendlies.
ur mental approach to the game must change. think about everything and know what works and is effective. effective as in edge guarding better, recovery mixups, and be an opportunist(u only get so many offensive chances). these are things i notice that the majority of us do pretty badly. but mainly we have to be better mentally.

FYI I def practiced frame perfect Uthrow > Uair today on jiggs and IC @ like 70% and I combo it beautifully now.

edit:
@volt start to realize when ur panicing and just trying to DI away, then ask ur self whats the better choice / what should be done instead. CC is great for ppl rushing in and throwing tech out and u got me a few times, but u had no follow up, it'd be Dsmash yay! then run away, when u could've gotten in my face and kept pressure on. ex: preparing float cancel Fair while im on ground > whatever , tech chase, there are options we just have to think of all of them first =p

A-Laon

Smash Master
1- Skill isn't purely derived from "tournament" matches -- it's derived from how seriously you take the game. If you dismiss friendlies as worthless, of course you'll never gain anything from them, though not because your opponent isn't taking things seriously -- YOU aren't. YOUR level of dedication determines what you get from a match, not your opponent's. Personally, I take EVERY match I play seriously, and as a result, I can come away from every "friendly" session with either significant improvement or insight as to how to achieve it. You'll improve if you want to; want to!

2- Counterpick stages and strategies are dry facts. Just practice the stages in a few matches with various potential characters if you're so determined to enhancing your knowledge of counterpicks -- it isn't an advanced competitive science. Just figure out what helps and hurts you, and you should be able to decide accordingly when the time in a tourney actually comes. Most importantly, win the first match of every set.

3- Tim isn't amazing or invincible. Nobody is. Nobody is impossibly good. Nobody can do anything that is blatantly out of your ability. Stop spending so much time idolizing and admiring, and start actually devoting yourself to ascending to that level, reaching that goal, and realizing your own potential. By worshipping the better players, you're belittling yourself and giving yourself a subconcious (and untrue) reminder that you'll never be as good as you want to. Stop wishing, start trying.

4- Yes, Kevin and I are in agreement.

EDIT: 1337 post

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
1- Skill isn't purely derived from "tournament" matches -- it's derived from how seriously you take the game. If you dismiss friendlies as worthless, of course you'll never gain anything from them, though not because your opponent isn't taking things seriously -- YOU aren't. YOUR level of dedication determines what you get from a match, not your opponent's. Personally, I take EVERY match I play seriously, and as a result, I can come away from every "friendly" session with either significant improvement or insight as to how to achieve it. You'll improve if you want to; want to!

2- Counterpick stages and strategies are dry facts. Just practice the stages in a few matches with various potential characters if you're so determined to enhancing your knowledge of counterpicks -- it isn't an advanced competitive science. Just figure out what helps and hurts you, and you should be able to decide accordingly when the time in a tourney actually comes. Most importantly, win the first match of every set.

3- Tim isn't amazing or invincible. Nobody is. Nobody is impossibly good. Nobody can do anything that is blatantly out of your ability. Stop spending so much time idolizing and admiring, and start actually devoting yourself to ascending to that level, reaching that goal, and realizing your own potential. By worshipping the better players, you're belittling yourself and giving yourself a subconcious (and untrue) reminder that you'll never be as good as you want to. Stop wishing, start trying.

4- Yes, Kevin and I are in agreement.

EDIT: 1337 post
I agree with everything in this post accept for the counter picking part. It is very important in my opinion, hell its the reason Puff is so tough to beat in sets. Of course though this is all opinion based so its whatever.

As for friendlies I agree that they improve you, but it can only get you so far if you are trying your hardest and your opponent is going half speed or so. I don't know I just think tournaments would be beneficial to everyone and have very little downside. With our amount of people they would take no more than 2 hours out of our friendly time which isn't much, and they could be restricted to every other week as a compromise to those who prefer friendlies.

Anyway, we'll see what we want to do this Friday, we can vote or something.

dead-aim

Smash Cadet
1# tournaments would be sick, i have the most fun playing really competivley and no matter how hard u try to be competetive in friendlies its tuff. I also want to see how i compare to everyone, and i suck in tourny situations.

Come on guys duquesne fridays are like 10 hours long we can fit in a little tourny, i am tired of everyone complaining about it, i think people just dont want to lose:laugh:

so far its me, d20, taki, matt, tim and i think 9 volt for $1 tournies.........lets do it, i want to win a smasher of the day certificate!

p.s. some of you poeple act like this is politics!!! Its a game where space birds and pokemon and sh*t fight, it shouldnt be a big deal!:dizzy:

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
Wait, smashboards is for writing essays?

That aside... I know I haven't been to any friendlies lately, but I definitely support the idea of holding some 1$ tournaments, they could really help us (especially if we play on the weird counterpick stages - Brinstar comes to mind).

I may actually be bringing a friend with me, so yeah, good times.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I agree with everything in this post accept for the counter picking part. It is very important in my opinion, hell its the reason Puff is so tough to beat in sets. Of course though this is all opinion based so its whatever
you don't need to know how to fight every character on every stage; you just need to know the nuances of the stage that you can use to your advantage. No matter how hard you practice your falco, jiggs will still have an edge on you at mute city

so you're better off just working on things that YOU can do so you maximize the potential of your character. forward b to the middle platform edge on jungle japes, air dodge to the top platform on kongo jungle, combo off the blocks on green greens, abuse the fin on corneria.

The reason "puff is tough to beat in sets" (supposedly; i don't think she's as amazing as you're portraying her to be) is because puff is GOOD on all her counterpick stages, not because puff players know them better. Stage knowledge won't tip the opponents' counterpick in your favor; it can only bring it closer to even

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
F**K jiggly

why is a cream puff beating ppl?

EDIT:actually i love jiggly now beacuse im bout to beat every jiggly in the universe now.......and she did teach me the importance of frame perfect Uair so f**king thx jiggly you puffy S.O.B

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
@Tim: Your advice is so good. Thanks so much, and I'll work on that. In accordance to smash, advice is something I really want people to give more of. Also, I practiced the Peach pillar that Vidjo used on me. Its so nice.

I just got back from getting Halo 3. so after my 8AM class tomorrow, i'll probably be playing it all day. I too, have a promo dog tag.
Let it be known that I am calling it. Master Chief is going to be a girl.

EDIT: @Switch: Who u bringing? Scooter?

Renth

Smash Hero

I'd love to improve on my game. I am just not sure what is wrong with it. So in friendlies, all I focus on is trying to win. But when I play against Tim, Pocky, Alan, etc. I don't know how to play them. They're just better than me.

So any help would be soooooo friggin appreciated.
If you keep the mindset that they are better than you, you will always think you can never win. Everyone inside believes they are the best and will strive to prove it to anyone regardless of obvious skill level differences. I can't say everyone really but a lot of people keep the mindset that they are the best and want to show it to the world. If you constantly think Tim, Pocky, Alan Ect. cannot be beaten by you then you will subconciously lose every match before the game even begins.

Another thing i've noticed with a lot of people is once they start to have an advantage in a match say - are leading by 2 stocks they subconciously let their guard down and think there is no way they can bring it back. I played Reik over the weekend we had a lot of good matches and i got a lot more sick combo video material. Either way point is there's a match where he's leading 4 stock to my 1 on Battlefield. Slowly i brought it back and won i strongly believe once someone feels they have a good advantage they can't see themselves losing and let stupid things slip by.

When you say you don't know how to fight someone. It's a matter of knowledge of the match up it's self mixed with their unique style no 2 people play the game exactly the same the closest your going to get is the 18 billion falco mains all with the same style but even then each one has their own minor tweaks. So basically EXPERIENCE of a match up is what you need.

Also pittsburgh tournaments sounds like a lot of fun ;)

Some people get better at this game for different reasons, each person learns and adapts in many ways. My first ever smash tournament i was a cocky n00b who thought wave dashing was a complete waste of time and would never be useful. That tournament (my senior project lol) The Cape, UmbreonMow, Magus, Joker, Kaotical, Ect. showed up. I $10 MM'd Mow it was my first money match of my life and i learned so much just from that one match it was incredible.

Since that day i came to realize i much like many others learn and get better at this game after being trounced repeatedly. You need a set of peers to play ones you can hang out with and are generally on your same level to improve with. Playing with your friends small crews ect. is fine to stay sharp and keep your game tight but i strongly believe you NEED diversity to get good at this game. If you play the same people all the time you'll do good against those people but once a new style is introduced you won't have any idea what to do anymore. At every oppurtunity guys seriously play as many people as you can even noobs because even in simple matches you know you can't possibly lose you can learn a thing or two.

If someone 4 stocks you keep playing them until you figure out a few things.

A. what your doing wrong
B. how to fix your mistakes
C. and most importantly the revenge the next time you see them.

I enjoy recording matches with everyone i've ever played it give sme time to sit down and watch what they are doing vs. what i'm doing wrong in a match up. You can see what you fell for repeatedly, how bad your DI was, and over all figure out what you can do better in those situations. The smash community is full of really nice people you got some d!ck bags but that's to be expected ask for advice more than likely they'll help you out with your game.

I don't know where the thread is anymore but Cactuar came up with a learning theory i 100% agreed with. Basically the 3 elements of getting good at smash bros. melee.

1. The Noob
2. The Peer
3. The Pro

1. It's nice to play Noobs on occasion to teachs you how to abuse simple mistakes which can help you down the line in serious matches.

2. The Peer is always there testing you pushing you to your limits as you both strive to get better.

3. The Pro the man that constantly ***** your face and helps you along the way constantly critqueing and helping you improve your style.

[/End Ramble

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
.......so.

Is there a good weekend to go to pittsburgh just to meet people and not have a huge tourny first? Whats going on this weekend?

pockyD

Smash Legend
we play every friday and rarely have organized events on the rest of the weekend

if you someone is coming in from a distance though a lot of us are willing to play saturdays too

edit: p.s. this new snickers commercial is amazing. FEAST!!!!!

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Yeah I'll be going to the Nitespot tomorrow to get owned by everyone, so if you want to see me there I'll be there. I main Pichu now because my Fox is all washed up too btw.

Someone shouldn't leave their password saved on the Nitespot computer.

Top Bottom