• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

What's The Point

Smash Master
Well, the idea is that if Tutu plays fZk, the fact that MK is banned doesn't mean anything for that specific set.

The issue is that there's only like 4 players that can play each other that do not use MK in any way, and pure MK people basically can't use this tournament.

Though really, if anything it hurts the non-MK mains. If PzO beats fZk, PzO gets points since fZk only uses Diddy. But if fZk beats PzO, fZk gets no points because PzO pulls out a MK during sets, and since he couldn't do that the validity of the win is questioned.

I said I was fine with it, but it was janky due to the previously mentioned reasons.

JTsm

Smash Master
Well it looks like Mk will be leaving us this tourney. Not going to bring a set-up next time ;/

Dunno if Pzo is going, tbh.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
what the hell. Only Ori's seen Durarara in MI? Travis must've seen it. He's like, the only other person I can think of who's openly watched a reasonable amount of anime.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
uhhh i think it pretty clearly hurts MK mains as well lol
Points wise it doesn't because you can't lose any and even if you lose to someone who got better then you it doesn't count

If I'm reading wtp right your basically solid where you are and can only gain where people like FzK can go up or down and would probably be hurt more from a loss to your secondary char

:phone:

Roller

Smash Legend
Yeah, but say Gio would have won the tournament had he been allowed to use mk. Although he can't really lose points, he now doesn't have the opportunity to set himself into the next caliber of players.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
what the hell. Only Ori's seen Durarara in MI? Travis must've seen it. He's like, the only other person I can think of who's openly watched a reasonable amount of anime.
Durarara is awesome haha, what makes it awesome imo is that everthing that happens within the show is connected. Its also 26 episodes in length and those tend to be great animes imo.

I also need to start watching more anine. this summer I've only watched FLCL, every Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, and just kept up to date with Naruto. i barely scratched what I wanted to watch on MyAnimeList haha

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Yeah, but say Gio would have won the tournament had he been allowed to use mk. Although he can't really lose points, he now doesn't have the opportunity to set himself into the next caliber of players.
That's why I said points wise but I do believe all 3 mks said they weren't coming to the last one before tech made his announcement so there was no problem before

nicole you aren't qualified to employ :yeahboi:s yet

also i'm glad roller understands what i'm saying. i've been practicing and i think i've improved. i dont think i'll let pzo or maybe even kenny beat me this time, but now i cant even show that since i'm unable to use my main? how am i not being denied an opportunity that people like fZk or wuvz or someone still has?

and what are you talking about us winning with secondaries? you really think i could practice someone for like a week and have a noticeable victory with them i wouldnt be able to do with MK - who i've played for a year? give me a break.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
nicole you aren't qualified to employ :yeahboi:s yet

also i'm glad roller understands what i'm saying. i've been practicing and i think i've improved. i dont think i'll let pzo or maybe even kenny beat me this time, but now i cant even show that since i'm unable to use my main? how am i not being denied an opportunity that people like fZk or wuvz or someone still has?
Okay, I really did think you were joking, but it's seriously hard to keep up with whether you're actually quitting or you just want to talk about how you quit but actually you're still going to tournaments so you need to complain about how a single MK banned tournament at the end of a three-month season can hurt your ranking. @_@

Nicole

Smash Champion
fortunately for me the namesearch feature does not show every single post with my name in it, especially if there are just a bunch of repeats from the same thread.

good effort though :psycho:

So what i say is invalidated just because I say I'm quitting? I haven't really seen any good defenses advocating why this tournament should count for the pr. Or any good counter arguments to what I've posted other than 'ur quitting lolz'. An uncontested argument becomes truth in a debate.

:yeahboi:

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
wow. Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard in my life

considering mk is "broken," adapting to him would theoretically make things way easier.

Why would you change the rules mid season and make it count. This bull**** makes me not want to attend tourneys anymore. There are reasons jon and i dont want to play anymore. I know everyone wants to be on the pr but just get good and get on it. Dont change the rules because you cant get on it otherwise. What a cowardly solution. This community blows.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So what i say is invalidated just because I say I'm quitting? I haven't really seen any good defenses advocating why this tournament should count for the pr. Or any good counter arguments to what I've posted other than 'ur quitting lolz'. An uncontested argument becomes truth in a debate.

:yeahboi:

You really want to get into this? Okay.

First of all, you're claiming that the whole argument is that an MK Banned tournament is being counted for power rankings, so we'll cut out any complaints about things like the tournament being MK Banned since they are irrelevant.

So we'll start with your first point - that there are certain Meta Knight mains who have no experience with other characters that have a legitimate chance of getting ranked. Interestingly enough, none of them had any intention of attending this tournament even before it became MK Banned. If any of these players actually were planning on attending and suddenly got the hammer dropped on them, there might be an issue, even without considering the tournament's role in power rankings. As it is, they didn't, so there isn't.

Your next point would be about other players performing better than they should when they don't have to face people who normally play Meta Knight. Ignoring the first point, it's already been mentioned multiple times that beating a usual MK main does not count favorably in this tournament - high placements won't matter if you just beat a bunch of people who can't use MK. Power rankings (at least, reasonable ones) should be based on who you've played and beaten, not how easy of a bracket you had to get money. At the same time, what does matter is one non-MK player beating another in a tournament environment... should these matches not be counted at all either just because Meta Knight was banned in the tournament?

Finally, your odd point about "practicing hard" (during these two weeks following the last tournament, after which you kept saying things like "I quit", "school's starting", "this game sucks", and other things that would indicate very contrary to "practicing hard") - unless by that you meant "I secretly found the tower to the heavens and trained in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber", everyone's had just as much time to put in just as much work. I'd like to know what makes your practice time of a much better quality, because improving faster than other people who place in the money sounds like a pretty awesome thing to know how to do.

Roller

Smash Legend
You really want to get into this? Okay.

First of all, you're claiming that the whole argument is that an MK Banned tournament is being counted for power rankings, so we'll cut out any complaints about things like the tournament being MK Banned since they are irrelevant.

So we'll start with your first point - that there are certain Meta Knight mains who have no experience with other characters that have a legitimate chance of getting ranked. Interestingly enough, none of them had any intention of attending this tournament even before it became MK Banned. If any of these players actually were planning on attending and suddenly got the hammer dropped on them, there might be an issue, even without considering the tournament's role in power rankings. As it is, they didn't, so there isn't.

Your next point would be about other players performing better than they should when they don't have to face people who normally play Meta Knight. Ignoring the first point, it's already been mentioned multiple times that beating a usual MK main does not count favorably in this tournament - high placements won't matter if you just beat a bunch of people who can't use MK. Power rankings (at least, reasonable ones) should be based on who you've played and beaten, not how easy of a bracket you had to get money. At the same time, what does matter is one non-MK player beating another in a tournament environment... should these matches not be counted at all either just because Meta Knight was banned in the tournament?

Finally, your odd point about "practicing hard" (during these two weeks following the last tournament, after which you kept saying things like "I quit", "school's starting", "this game sucks", and other things that would indicate very contrary to "practicing hard") - unless by that you meant "I secretly found the tower to the heavens and trained in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber", everyone's had just as much time to put in just as much work. I'd like to know what makes your practice time of a much better quality, because improving faster than other people who place in the money sounds like a pretty awesome thing to know how to do.
Your argument is destroyed by your first point. Nobody in MI plans to be anywhere more than 2 hours in advance.

And for your last point. If you practice more than 2 hours in advance of a tourney, you have just put in more effort than the majority of MI. Except now he's been discouraged from doing so, since the ban was announced.

EMKAY ALL DAY.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Nobody in MI ever says "I'm not going to this" and doesn't make good on that, either. Point stands.

For your other statement, according to him, he's already put in practice (which I already covered as unlikely), so unless discouraging him for these last two days out of fourteen is going to make a huge like xbox impact, this really doesn't mean much.

i actually have been playing a lot. i havent had internet so i've had nothing to do. but it wont matter because MK is banned. i've also been practicing a secret weapon.

and are you arguing that everyone improves at the same speed? and everyone plays the same amount in 2 weeks? i'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd ask who you're practicing with but I don't think the answer would be helpful.

People don't usually improve at the same speed, but claiming to potentially go up by two unique placements in two weeks is bordering on prodigal improvement. I'm trying to say you should tell us how to get that much better that fast because maybe then Michigan will have more people worth ranking and less reason to do things like ban Meta Knight.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
It's everyone and their mother relying on MK that seems to be hindering improvement up there.

If there were a choice between a machine gun (MK) or a katana (everyone else) in battle, and all you're accustomed to using in important battles is the machine gun, your offensive katana skills will either be extremely rusty or nonexistent altogether. I'd imagine Michigan has a lot of machine gun vs machine gun action going on, and has little to no idea how to really handle themselves in close quarters combat against a katana (other matchups). Why don't you guys just experiment with other characters to see who you mesh well with? I know MK is the best in the game, but not unlike Marth...he is only as good as the user who plays him, and mediocre MKs get thrashed by anyone worth mentioning at this point in the metagame. Just think about it.

Top Bottom