• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

JTsm

Smash Master
Shoutouts to Ori for informing.

Shoutouts to SoulPech for being ignorant. :yeahboi:

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
For real. Guys chill out its just friendly **** talk. A lot of michigans ideal interpretation of a competitive game scene is a happy go lucky cute fest where everyone says "great job" and blows each other kisses while hugging and talking about how good the other person is.

...of course that's followed by the extensive behind the back gossip about how bad the player is. Just **** talk who cares? Damn.

Soulpech is a nice dude and I'm really trying to find what he did so horribly wrong, I see nothing

:phone:

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Soulpech is a nice dude and I'm really trying to find what he did so horribly wrong, I see nothing

Apparently, Roller got annoyed by SoulPech posting about how he pulled off something cool against someone who doesn't know how to beat people.

Roller

Smash Legend
reposting here because it will just get lost in the other thread, and more people will see it here.

And a lot of you could benefit from this.

EDIT: I KNOW THIS POST IS LONG. BUT. I am not trolling in it, and sincerely feel many of you would greatly benefit from reading it in it's entirety.

I'm tired of people blaming others'/their own success or lack there of respectively on their characters.

YOU CHOSE TO PLAY THE DAMN CHARACTER. Why the hell are you *****ing about it? If you hate more about the character than you like.. MAIN SOMEONE ELSE. I have no sympathy for someone who chooses to main a **** character then *****es about how the rules don't cater to them. If you are picking a **** character, and acknowledge that they are not as good as other characters, then you are inherently and necessarily sabotaging your success in tourneys.

People who play these characters often have other reasons, like SoulPech listed. The thing is, most of those reasons are not reasoning that someone with a truly competitive, play to win mindset uses. If you truly want to do your best in tournaments, choose the character you believe gives you the best shot at doing so.

The honest truth is that most people who pick bad/subpar characters are scared. Scared that they can't succeed, even if they were to use mk/diddy/ics/oli/etc.

So they give themselves an out.

"Yeah, you won. Congrats on winning that +3 matchup with one of the best characters in the game."

"Wow. You beat a jigglypuff. You should be proud."

What the people who say those things are really doing is putting themselves in no lose scenarios.

If you win with a **** character.

"OH ****. You just lost to a Dedede with Diddy! GET BODDIEDDDDD."
"You got 3 stocked by Sheik while using ICs? o."

If you lose... Same type of things I said above.

"Good job winning against my bad character."
"You only win because you use high tiers."

I've had people try to tell me it takes/shows character, or courage, or loyalty to use a bad character.

No. It shows cowardice and fear.

You want to show courage? Play metaknight.

Seriously. Hold yourself, and have the entire rest of the community hold you accountable for your wins and losses. Enter a tournament without being able to john. Try your best with your best option. Stop holding yourself back.

The worst part is that these scared individuals seek each other out (in their ****ty character boards) and reinforce each other with their own non-competitive ideals. They think by supporting each other's viewpoints and justifications for using the ****ty character in question they are helping each other out.

What they are actually doing is perpetuating a mindset of fear, non-competitiveness, and oftentimes a prejudice against those who ARE playing to win, and who ARE using a competitive mindset.

Actually, you know what? I misspoke. (mistyped?) That isn't the worst part. There is something worse about these players.

THEY USUALLY DON'T EVEN REALIZE THEY'RE DOING THIS.

They truly, honestly believe that they ARE being courageous, or loyal, or whatever other justifying virtue they choose to tell themselves.

These people who claim to be competitive and play to win, and yet complain about their characters not being good enough to give them a realistic shot at performing as well as they possibly can; or complaining about those who DO use those characters are delusional.

That is the most accurate word I can think of to describe them.

DELUSIONAL.

Yeah. It's harsh. This whole post is. But this is a serious problem in the community. It needs to be addressed as such. And NOBODY is doing so. At least not publicly.

Anyone who can't see the truth to what I'm saying...

You need a stronger prescription.

Don't pick a bad character (and by so doing making a noncompetitive choice); then demand rule changes in the spirit of "competitiveness" which take away from the ACTUAL competitive players' tests of skill, just so that you get your little extra handicap. (As though always having an excuse when you lose wasn't enough of a handicap to begin with...)

I'm going to end this with something most of you have probably seen or heard at some point before.

But many of you NEED this to sink in.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Stop being afraid.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Its not your fault Colten, why should an Ohio player know the skill level of a Michigan local who hasn't gone OoS?

Also Ankoku with an amazing pic.

LOE1

Smash Lord
wow, i thought i was the only one who ever hated on apasher, and that was trollin.

except when i did, i got *****ed at by the whole community :/

Roller

Smash Legend
LOE1. That whole bad character post...

It applies to your character. Please use a better one so you can consistently body people who you currently go either way with.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Its not your fault Colten, why should an Ohio player know the skill level of a Michigan local who hasn't gone OoS?

Also Ankoku with an amazing pic.

I would like to understand teh skill level of Midwest as a whole, which I know KY, IN, but not too much MI

I guess now when I go to MI, I'll have to john to figure out who is good and who isn't xD

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace
MI: We Ride Together We Die Together

Sheesh guys take it easy, the puff main does some friendly **** talk and Michigan gets their guns
this so much^

so he does sum combo in a friendly. So what? It is a friendly and he said he wasnt bragging about it so who cares lol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I would like to understand teh skill level of Midwest as a whole, which I know KY, IN, but not too much MI

I guess now when I go to MI, I'll have to john to figure out who is good and who isn't xD

I always just assume that anybody I'm winning against must not be top tournament material.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Roller's repost.
And that is why I always try to attribute me being bad to my inexperience and still developing understanding of the metagame, as blaming my main is a fruitless endeavor.

The only reason I stick with my bad main is because I probably would get bored and drop competitive smash entirely since I get bored with most other characters and don't see the point in competing if I don't enjoy the character I'm playing as.

I do agree with your repost though Roller, as in anything competitive you should use the most optimal resources to win. If you don't enjoy using the best resources and prefer to use lesser or subpar tools no one should hold it against you, but you can't blame anybody for that choice.

With some of the new people who want to join the smash scene through the club I help facilitate want to use low tier characters because they feel higher tiers are cheap. However the first thing I always say is, "Play who you like and enjoy, you won't prove anything by picking a lower tier character aside from that you chose to play them and should understand the heavier disadvantages that come with it. If you're goal is to be great at the game choose MK, from a competitive standpoint you are using the best resources to ensure your success as cheapness towards character choices is void in this community."

Granted that's not my exact words but the idea is there. The illusion of cheapness in an E-sport is the first thing I always try to eliminate as the game is all about choices and unless there are outside tools being used to manipulate the gameplay everything that happens is legitimate and fair.

I would be lying if I wasn't a little depressed that my character is bad; I do make potshots at the dev team for Brawl but that is more on the gaps in design and logic in certain aspects of the game that slipped through the production process rather than, "gah you ruined my character!"

I refrain from blaming others or the character for my choice as nothing will come from it, it's like holding a grudge, all you end up doing is wasting your energy hating someone instead of channeling that energy productively.

Top Bottom