• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Link Discussion Thread

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
No Link thread either?! No support for the one and only "Legend"?

Ok, you guys probably know I recently made a Mario support thread cause we have support thread for the confirmed newcomers, but none for the veterans. So in tradition with that, I am officially oppening a support for Link, the Hero of...well everything at this point.

The hero of The Legend of Zelda series.
The design of this particular Link comes from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Link wields the Master Sword and a diverse arsenal of equipment.
Use all of his weapons to adapt to the ebb and flow of battle

The design for Link is taken from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, so his special moves have also been designed a bit differently.

<Side Special Move: Gale Boomerang>

Gale Boomerang!

The Gale Boomerang deals damage when thrown at an enemy, but when it comes back, it also lightly pulls the foe’s body.

<Standard Special Move: Hero’s Bow>

The Hero’s Bow! It’s fast.

<Down Special Move: Bomb>

Are these bombs made by Barnes?

<Up Special Move: Spin Attack>

You can charge up the Spin Attack!

<Grab: Clawshot>

You can use the Clawshot to perform life-saving tether recoveries by aiming at available ledges.

It was difficult to aim in the previous game, but this time it automatically flies to the closest ledge, so it should be pretty simple to use.

Of course, it doesn't mean a thing if it can't reach its target...

Link's Final Smash
<Trifocre Slash>

Is he using the Triforce to slash enemies? Or is it the Triforce doing the slashing?

You don’t have time to ponder such questions, as Link has just grabbed a Smash Ball.

Light shoots out from the Triforce on the back of Link’s hand, striking his opponents!

Link dashes into the fray! Enemies are trapped by the Triforce.

He strikes repeatedly with lightning speed!

And then comes the finishing strike! SKRAAAAH!

If you suffer this fate, there is little hope for you. But remember: damage alone will not finish you in Smash.

If you’re lucky enough to strike solid ground, you just might be saved.

He rescues Zelda from the evils of Ganondorf and manages to pick up some cool weapons (How the hell does he carry all that stuff!!??). He saves Hyrule on a daily basis, is the wielder of the Triforce of Courage, and is the only character to look good in green tunics and tights.

So what do we know so far. Most of his attacks have returned, with a slight adjustment, and many have noticed his sword glows when he attacks! How awesome is that! Oh, and the uber cool Final Smash, where he traps his victims between two Triforce and unleashes a barrage of slashes. How awesome can this guy get!

So voice how you will use Link, if he has always been your main (second to Mario in 64 and third in melee), and what you expect from our green clad Hero.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Here's hoping for some TP alternate costumes like the zora tunic etc...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Link used both hands for his forward Smash in Melee. At least during one of the two swings.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I like his two part Smash. Although I can't recall his original smash attack. Is that what you were talking about?

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
I hope they find a way to incoporate Link's "Mortal Draw" technique from Twilight Princess. Extra damage but you leave yourself wide open unless you get perfect timing.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Personally I just want to find out what his final Smash will involve. That Triforce Slash he does in the trailer looks painful!

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
What I wanna know about Link is why the Master Sword appears to be glowing sometimes. Look at the new Yoshi's Island stage screens. Link's sword is glowing brightly for some reason. I'd like to know why.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Link's always been my main. The funny thing is that I haven't been using him much lately, because my friends shudder and whine whenever I choose him. No, I don't abuse his upward 'B' move like most new Link players. My friends hate when I play as him because I abuse his projectile attacks like no tomorrow (basically, chaining them into melee combos). So, I've ended up playing as Bowser a lot lately because it's a character that they can actually put up a fight against (sometimes).

I'm hoping that they don't change a thing about him. If they had to, it wouldn't kill me to see the bombs go, but it'd hurt. And frankly, that's all I could see them doing to alter his moveset.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Link probably won't be changed dramatically, if at all. He was a very popular character in Melee (my personal favourite), even if he wasn't one of the statistical best. Dramatically altering his moveset wouldn't go down well with thousands of fans. If any changes happen, it will be statistical. I'm hoping for a bit more speed personally.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
What I wanna know about Link is why the Master Sword appears to be glowing sometimes. Look at the new Yoshi's Island stage screens. Link's sword is glowing brightly for some reason. I'd like to know why.
Well I would guess since this is TP Link, he's using the Light Sword from that game. It's just the master sword with absorbed light energy, which makes it glow.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Link probably won't be changed dramatically, if at all. He was a very popular character in Melee (my personal favourite), even if he wasn't one of the statistical best. Dramatically altering his moveset wouldn't go down well with thousands of fans. If any changes happen, it will be statistical. I'm hoping for a bit more speed personally.
He was was third or second slowest, if I recall correctly...definitely needs a speed boost (or at least be able to do the roll attack to move faster like in his gameplay ;))

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Link's always been my main. The funny thing is that I haven't been using him much lately, because my friends shudder and whine whenever I choose him. No, I don't abuse his upward 'B' move like most new Link players. My friends hate when I play as him because I abuse his projectile attacks like no tomorrow (basically, chaining them into melee combos). So, I've ended up playing as Bowser a lot lately because it's a character that they can actually put up a fight against (sometimes).

I'm hoping that they don't change a thing about him. If they had to, it wouldn't kill me to see the bombs go, but it'd hurt. And frankly, that's all I could see them doing to alter his moveset.
No, just keep using link. That means you're good and they're not. The bombs must stay. they're the coolest of all items from the LoZ games.

I want to see the clawshot and Gale boomerang too.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Yeah, it would be awesome if he upgraded his items to the TP versions, like Gale boomerang, or bomb arrows, and the bug like bomb things, but that would only make him stronger... and we defiantly don't want him to be broken.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
With Link being based on his TP model some tweaks to his attacks appearance is likely eg. the Gale Boomerang being used with Tornados swirling from it. Wouldnt add anything to the attack, but would look a lot nicer.

D

Deleted member

I hope they flatten out the tiers in this. And make playing Link require some skill, so not every newbie who plays him can give the mainers a bad name.

I hate it when people think I suck just cause I main Link. Okay, I have Marth as a secondary, but meh.

Rant over.

Link rules.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I'd like to see the same, but in Link's case, I'm sure we could all understand why that most likely won't happen. Link has thousands of fans that, in Smash Bros, seem to play with broken controllers (with the control stick stuck in the 'up' position, and the 'B' button constantly firing on its own).

Link's recovery special doesn't appear to have changed, so I can only assume that the 'bad' players are still going to play him exactly like they did before, poorly.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yeah, it would be awesome if he upgraded his items to the TP versions, like Gale boomerang, or bomb arrows, and the bug like bomb things, but that would only make him stronger... and we defiantly don't want him to be broken.
Why is it with everyone that stronger=broken?

Balance, that's the key, balance. Broken mean the character isn't balanced. A character could be very strong but still be balanced. That's how you get a good lineup who are all very unique, have different strengths and weaknesses but in the hands of the right people can each hold their own against one another.

Also...TP Link is basically the same as normal Link. Clawshot is basically the same as hookshot (except that he has two). "Bugbombs" are the same as Bombchus. Gale Boomerang...whatever, that'd mostly be aesthetic anyway. But, I guess that's my main point. It wouldn't be much different.

EDIT: I'm tired of all of the LoZ hate...

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Why is it with everyone that stronger=broken?

Balance, that's the key, balance. Broken mean the character isn't balanced. A character could be very strong but still be balanced. That's how you get a good lineup who are all very unique, have different strengths and weaknesses but in the hands of the right people can each hold their own against one another.

Also...TP Link is basically the same as normal Link. Clawshot is basically the same as hookshot (except that he has two). "Bugbombs" are the same as Bombchus. Gale Boomerang...whatever, that'd mostly be aesthetic anyway. But, I guess that's my main point. It wouldn't be much different.

EDIT: I'm tired of all of the LoZ hate...
Uh.. Link doesn't use a bombchu... so if they changed the bomb to that. it would make him better. Plus the bomb arrows would change it. I could keep going, but the point is, if they use the TP items, thus making him stronger. To balance that, they have to lower his stats, which would piss a lot of people off.

And, i think his final smash is cool, but terrible, the chance of mario's final smash to get multiple opponents is great. With Link's, i think you'll rarely catch more then one.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
I just think the way his Triforce mark shoots (Dr Evil voice) 'Frikkin laser beams' is pretty cool. Why hasn't that happened in a Zelda before?

Wrath`

Smash Master
Mabey for bomb arrows: you pull out a bomb and when you go to launch your arrows it atstches to the arrow

ancientevil11

Smash Apprentice
it seems Link's Master Sword is a tad bit longer than in melee. anyone think so? if it is longer, that gives us Link players more range with all the projectiles he packs.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
it seems Link's Master Sword is a tad bit longer than in melee. anyone think so? if it is longer, that gives us Link players more range with all the projectiles he packs.
Maybe because it was longer in both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?

...Yea in both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess the Master Sword was hugee. It was much bigger than the OoT model.

Play the new Zelda games. It is huge.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
They could make the bomb-arrows an easter egg just like Samus's extended grapple beam. Imo, you should pull out a bomb and then use the arrows. After that tap down, and the bomb should equip to it.

Wrath`

Smash Master
They could make the bomb-arrows an easter egg just like Samus's extended grapple beam. Imo, you should pull out a bomb and then use the arrows. After that tap down, and the bomb should equip to it.
read my post first,i said that alresdy

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i wonder if his eyes glow green, like how mario's eyes were a fiery color. i don't care if Mario's can attack everyone, i think giving one fighter a thrashing is better than all getting fire thrust at them.

Triforce slash ftw!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Go Triforce Slash!

Link should be high tier this time.
It's the Hylian Dream(tm)! From rock-bottom to high-tier in two steps!

But how to improve him without ruining his personality?
His roll HAS to be faster. It makes no sense that it sucks. He does it ALL THE TIME in his game!
Bomb arrows are a nifty idea... a projectile with actual KO ability.
And then some simple tweaks here and there. Sounds like more than middle tier to me, folks!

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Make him faster! A tad, he doesn't walk that slow..

I also suggest double claws. He be spiderman for Brawl! Zomg Spiderman confirmed for Brawl ahhh! And he is wearing a tunic and green! Ahh...Yea.

I suggest also his...Up-smash needs to be changed.

LinkBros

Smash Rookie
Man! the bomb arrow idea is just awesome. Like Fawriel said, a projectile with real KO abilities. But the arrows as they are in meele are too slow for that... I mean the "charge" time.

Quote:
DarkKnight077: "I suggest also his...Up-smash needs to be changed."

Please don't touch that! lol

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Make Link's throws better. Like he should grab an enemy with the dual clawshots, spin them around and slam them down left or right of him depending on the direction. His down could be he jumps in the air and slams them downards and his up throw could be him well...swinging and throwing them upwards.

And yes, PLEASE PLEASE make Link faster. I'm sick of Link, being one of Nintendo's main mascots being one of the lower tier characters while seconday characters like Sheik and Spaceship fighting characters like Fox get preferential treatment.

Okay, rant over.

FD LINK FTW!!!

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I mained Link in SSB, and again in SSBM until I left him for Fox. I definitely look forward to making him my main again in this game and getting reacquianted with his ridiculous supply of projectiles.

As for the Gale Boomerang, I'm not sure it should have tornadoes or any other effect. I think the boomerang is fine the way it is and might become overpowered if it gains that ability.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
What's with all this talk of acting like Link would be broken if they made him a little bit better? He's not that high on Melee's tier list, even if a lot of players use them. I heard he was even worse in the original Smash. I also can't really think of a broken move that Link has, not even Up + B. I have played n00bs that spam that move and trust me, it hurts them greatly, because you can easily know when to expect the move. Also, Link has quite a bit of lag time after the move, which leaves him open to moves like Jigglypuff's rest. Kinda like the n00bs who think Marth or Roy's counter is overpowered or one of the greatest moves ever.

I really don't see any reason why bombs should not return as one of Link's moves. Bombs have to be one of the biggest trademarks of all of Link's items in the Zelda games. Many things can be done with bombs in Smash, including bomb jumping. If they got rid of them, what would they replace them with? On the other hand, I could see them changing Link's smash attacks, as I believe in one of the updates he appears to be doing a move which I never saw in Melee.

If Young Link gets the boot, I could see them giving Link a bit of a speed boost. One of the main reasons I hear that people prefer Young Link over his older counterpart is because they like Link's move set, but not his slow speed.

Aquarius

Smash Cadet
I think that nintendo is going to do a good job tweeking link, even from what I've seen in the game play videos. for instance:

1-his sword is longer- better range

2- the spin attack on the ground tilts up and down- harder to get hit from above

3- his forward tilt is faster and smoother-not as much delay when using it

4- his down stab doesnt bounce when he hits someone- faster recovery

i think that there are more impratant things other than running speed that will make link faster if they change him. but i think so far there doing a good job changing him without making him completly different.

Top Bottom