• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Link Discussion Thread

thefindingmoon

Smash Cadet
i agree that the bomb arrows are awesome,and i also think they should make the arrows more reallistic,just a pull back ,letgo, and it goes flyin...

....i wonder if when link grabs if he's going to sumo throw people....

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
LOL

SUMO LINK FTW!!!

It would be interesting. I would like to see Link use some of his newer techniques from the game, such as the Back Spin, the Great Spin, Helm Splitter, Mortal Draw, ect.

That would rock.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
today on smashbros., the trailer from E3 was shown. however, because they cut to reggie in most of the movies on the net, some parts weren't shown. namely for out green guy, his final smash. we still have him slashing as fast as he can, but one part i think is cool is near the end, Link starts spinning while he strikes his opponent! Link gets cooler and cooler everytime i see him.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I hope we can take out the control stick jump because I can't tell you how many times I missed a KO opportunity because I jumped and did a spin attack upward...:mad:

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Link is in for any sweeping changes. In my opinion, he's currently one of the most balanced characters in the game. His advantages and disadvantages balance out very well. His projectiles are very useful for harassing and defending yourself, but they aren't KO moves by any stretch of the imagination. His close-range game is very powerful, but also highly punishable if you miss.

I'd like to see a few things improve, though. The lag on his throw is really excessive, even when you factor in its long range. And I find that currently, the bow is pretty useless compared to the bombs and boomerangs(though maybe that's just because I've been doing more duels and less big melees recently). And improving his tilts (aside from the up-tilt, which is already good) would be really helpful, to give you more options besides the laggy-but-powerful smashes (and, of course, the up-B). Plus, Link is one of the characters who'll get a lot of benefit out of the new faster dodges.

I hope we can take out the control stick jump because I can't tell you how many times I missed a KO opportunity because I jumped and did a spin attack upward...:mad:
HOLY CRAP YES. I really hope that this is something we can toggle in the customizable controls, because I do that so often. I don't know why...it never happens with ANY other move.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
upon looking closely again at the 15 second trailer, i think it's safe to assume the final smashes, including link's, will not be FMV sequences, but part of gameplay. there is no way they could have it at that angle while filming it, and have it be an FMV.

Link's final smash rocks

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Can anyone figure out what the attack Link is about to perform in the Smash Attack portion of SSBB website? Or anything it might resemble more like it. It looks cool...who knows, maybe that's Link's Mortal Draw just in a different form.

Pfft, search me.

Peace out folks.

bksands77

Smash Journeyman
And plus his bow stance has changed. I hope it's aim able.
I noticed this too

In the pictures on the website he is kneeling instead of standing, maybe it goes with the idea that you can move around with items, like the super scope and cracker launcher

From one of the trailers it appears that Link doesn't make that loud noise that he makes in melee while doing his spin move

Mithrandir

Smash Rookie
It would be pretty random if Link would change into a wolf all of a sudden if the scenery of the stage changes to night. But I guess they would have put it in the trailer if there is to be any transforming in Brawl.

Beast Lee

Smash Rookie
It would be cool if in the middle of links roll you could tap A and he would do his back spin at the end of the roll. Also, it would be cool if they changed links side ariel slash to the helm splitter. At least that would change links moveset a little bit.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Dude, that's exactly what I was thinking! At the right moment Link could jump out of a roll dodge directly into a backspin. It would teach people that no matter the distance from Link, you're still screwed. Far away? Prepare to get bommerang-ed, blown up and stuck full of arrows. Up close? Master Sword to the head.

LINK FTW!!!

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Can anyone figure out what the attack Link is about to perform in the Smash Attack portion of SSBB website? Or anything it might resemble more like it. It looks cool...who knows, maybe that's Link's Mortal Draw just in a different form.
You mean, this one?

I'm glad that someone mentioned this, as I think it's the beginning of the Jump Strike (6th Hidden Skill move in TP). Perhaps when you release the F-Smash, he'll do a small swipe, then if you press A again (like in Melee) he'll leap forward and plunge his sword in the ground (just like the Jump Strike). I think this'll look awesome.

Also, I've thought about the Bomb-Arrow idea (where if you use the Bow while holding the Bomb, you'll shoot a Bomb-Arrow) so I'm gald that others have thought of this as well. It would add more strategy to Link, and it'll improve him a little, which he kind of needs. But why not have more uses for the iconic bombs? I think it'll be cool if the Bomb Link pulls out is a Bombling, and if you press Down+B again while Link is on the ground, he'll set it to start walking (exploding on impact/after time runs out).

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Hmm....I see where you're coming from, but (and this is only me being picky) Link's Jump Strike skill had him holding the sword upwards in another sort of samurai pose, while in this one, Link's holding the sword horizontially. Again, just me being picky. It could be that or it could be an attack we haven't seen altogether. (maybe some sort of awesome spectacular samurai move that will have all LoZ fans going "YES!" and dancing happily around.)

And the bomb arrows would rock. It would be nice for the bow to finally have some use (besides being a horrible projectile weapon. Slow, low knock back and it's only real apparent use is to block an incoming Samus charge shot.) And I like the idea about the Bomblings. That would be kind of kewl and would add some more strategery to Link.

WiGGleZ

Smash Cadet
they should allow him to use a bomb arrow
example if was holding a bomb and shot an arrow it would create a bomb arrow they would hit like samus's super missle

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Dude, not to sound rude, but this has been talked about many, MANY times in the thread.

Another thing I would like to see for Link is better costumes. All he gets are crappy recolors, but since his tunic is more detailed, I'm thinking that it wont just end up being more recolors. Perhaps a Dark Link, a Magic Armor Link, a Zora armor Link and PLEASE, PLEEEEASE SAKURAI, add in a Fierce Deity Link costume!!!

Fawriel

Smash Master
I wonder why no one ever suggests Farmboy Link(tm) as an alternate costume. I'd use that one all the time.

the-chosen-one

Smash Rookie
yeah link is also my favorite character i also loved it when they anounced link in Soulcalibur2

yeah i hope they put some great alternate Costumes Fierce deity Would rock if such an anouncement where made i would fall of my chair

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Link is my all time favorite smasher! I love his moveset from melee and it looks like he will be just as good in brawl if not better from what I seen on smash dojo. Top Tier Link, Can I have it!? Anyway I would love to see new outfits other then just afew color edits. I hope he is very effective with range attacks and has good air attacks or atleast let Link keep his shffls! I also would love to see Link transform into Wolf Link but that probably won't happen. Lucky if Wolf Link/Midna even appear in this game.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Link is my all time favorite smasher! I love his moveset from melee and it looks like he will be just as good in brawl if not better from what I seen on smash dojo. Top Tier Link, Can I have it!? Anyway I would love to see new outfits other then just afew color edits. I hope he is very effective with range attacks and has good air attacks or atleast let Link keep his shffls! I also would love to see Link transform into Wolf Link but that probably won't happen. Lucky if Wolf Link/Midna even appear in this game.
I would hug you for this post, but I don't swing that way. (if you're a guy, which I'm assuming you are.) So KUDOS!

TOP TIER LINK FTW!!!

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
It'd be weird if Link's Final Smash was like Samus' and he became Wolf Link afterward.....*shudders* bad thought, I don't think I'd like that....><

Link's taunt should definetely be the freakin awesome way he sheaths his sword in TP....

Bomb arrows replacing the normal arrows sound good to me, great for edgeguarding.

EDIT: Zora Armor ftw....please?

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Okay, where to begin.

First off, (and I don't want to sound rude) but Link's Final Smash has already been discussed/seen. He does not transform into Wolf Link.

Second, I agree with the taunting. It would be long enough to be embarrassing in serious matches, but fast enough to get it over with by the time your opponent returns.

And yes, Zora Armor FTW. Zora Armor FTW indeed.

FIERCE DEITY LINK COSTUME FTW!!!

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see the idea of the Magic Armor and Zora Tunic be put into the game. It would be much better than just a boring re-color. Uh... Zora Link FTW!

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
As much as I appreciate the support for one of my all time fav villans, that might be better disccused in a Gannondorf thread. And if one doesn't exist, please make one so we may discuss the Dark Lord himself.

FIERCE DEITY LINK FTW!!

Heykid

Smash Rookie
Lefty Link

Has anyone else noticed that Link appears to be left-handed in all of the Brawl screenshots? He has been right-handed in all other games; seems strange that they would switch it over... kind of irks me. Does this bother anyone else, or just me? :embarrass

edit: This not only includes his sword/shield setup, but the way in which he shoots his bow is as a left-handed person would, too.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else noticed that Link appears to be left-handed in all of the Brawl screenshots? He has been right-handed in all other games; seems strange that they would switch it over... kind of irks me. Does this bother anyone else, or just me? :embarrass

edit: This not only includes his sword/shield setup, but the way in which he shoots his bow is as a left-handed person would, too.
I thought that the developers made Link right handed in TP because most people are right handed, therefore they would swing a sword right handed....but I'm not sure about his other games, I can't remember ><

EDIT: He's left handed in Wind Waker, and I think he's only right handed in TP....because of the wii remote issue...

Yea, I just watched a youtube video from melee, and he's definetely left handed....

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
he's left handed in EVERY game, cept probably the gameboy and the original games, because of inverse sprites and stuff he was ambidextrous.

he's only been right handed in the wii version of twilight princess due to the majority of people being right handed and using the wii-mote in the right hand. the gamecube version had him return back to being left handed. trust me i know a lot about link

on a side note, it's funny that the majority of posters on this thread have Link as their avatar. being the creator, it's ironic mine is snake, even though Link is one of my mains and is my favorite video game character EVER!

Heykid

Smash Rookie
OOT:

Sword: left-handed

Bow: left-handed

>>>Hookshot: right-handed? seems I'd use one with my right-hand, and I'm right-handed with everything

Megaton Hammer: left-handed

Ocarina: not sure how they are held, but it seems he's holding it left-handed

Presenting Items (showing items to characters for a reaction): Left Hand

Giant's Knife: left-handed (don't have the big goron sword on the file I loaded up but would imagine it is left-handed too...)

>>>Deku Nut: right-handed

Din's Fire: left-handed

Bottles: left-handed

Boomerang: left-handed

Deku Stick: left-handed

Slingshot: left-handed

And he wears his goron bracelet on the left wrist...

Apparently I was mistaken about him being right-handed. Never really noticed while playing OOT, but remembered that he was right-handed in TP. I guess he was probably left-handed in SSB-64 and SSBM too?

My first post was a false alarm about something that is trivial anyway! :chuckle:

Heykid

Smash Rookie
he's left handed in EVERY game, cept probably the gameboy and the original games, because of inverse sprites and stuff he was ambidextrous.

he's only been right handed in the wii version of twilight princess due to the majority of people being right handed and using the wii-mote in the right hand. the gamecube version had him return back to being left handed. trust me i know a lot about link

on a side note, it's funny that the majority of posters on this thread have Link as their avatar. being the creator, it's ironic mine is snake, even though Link is one of my mains and is my favorite video game character EVER!
But does your avatar reflect your intention to switch to Snake in brawl? Will you play Link no matter what? Or will you decide when you play them?

Top Bottom