• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ice Climbers' Video Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
*reads last two pages*

Subscribes to thread.

So many technical things I need to clarify here ><

2-DJeff

Smash Master
He mad salty, making claims he knows he can't follow through on.
yea im salty cause your talking about my mom and saying your gonna cut off my balls u sick ***git. Cant wait to punch your face in
checked out that PR yet? are you on gerogia PRs? lol
gerogia isnt even as good as FL and i dont see your name and even if you are it doesn't matter because your not as good as us so plz stfu lol

DeLux

The Fix:

Grab > Downthrow > Downthrow > Shield Buffer > (Repeat Bthrow > DThrow >). You just won.

Work on whatever desync you were trying to do where you were ice blocking the wrong direction. It's probably one of the buffered turnaround shenanigans.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Someone get this kid a Natty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ZA6DskuiY
Another video of Hilt smacking me around that day. Some of the grabs that should've went down, didn't because he was testing out Prime's grab break method. I kinda panicked and tried to infinite him asap.
Your desynching was horrid. Please work on that.

You keep trying to force your way to Olimar too much instead of trying to force him on you, thats what Blizzard wall is for really.

You should worry about the grab release shi, since as Cheese said before they still have to react to your grab, so you have the exact same time if you buffer your grabs correctly the whole time.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Your desynching was horrid. Please work on that.

You keep trying to force your way to Olimar too much instead of trying to force him on you, thats what Blizzard wall is for really.

You should worry about the grab release shi, since as Cheese said before they still have to react to your grab, so you have the exact same time if you buffer your grabs correctly the whole time.
THANK YOU!!
Someone is keeping it real with me. Tear my ICs apart. That's what I want out of a critique.

People who are good at the Olimar MU, please break this **** down. Piece by piece. I'm tired of looking for IC v Olimar vids and getting either ICs that are bad at the Olimar MU or Olimars that are bad at the ICs MU.

B0NK

Smash Lord
To add on to that, learn when to desync

I'm assuming those synced IB were mistakes, and were meant to be desync. But even if they were successful desyncs most of them wouldn't have worked. He was baiting your desyncs and punishing for you mistakes (although I may be giving him too much credit). You need to learn when you have enough space to set up those desyncs, and sometimes when he gave you that space, you did nothing.

I could already see you knew to set-up blizzard when he was on the edge, just get better at doing it. Also, synced Blizzards are very punishable if they don't land, same goes to IB (and punishable if they do land with proper SDI, but not in this match-up)

Also use (synced) side-b as an attack sometimes, it's punishable if predictable, but if landed you just put him in the air, probably killed some pikimin, and now your up air can wreak havoc (watch for olimars down b though, although he only used airdodge which is SO much more punishable and half the reason why you **** him with MK lol)

Work on your CG obv, you had missed opportunities in the match (but this goes to every IC)

Don't let him jump over you or into you while you desyncing and in general. But most of the time he had you in the air or pressured you to the edge. Don't let this happen, only way to avoid it is to learn proper move choice to keep his moves from pressuring you. (that's just playing the match-up, there's no flow chart of this move beats that move)

Roller

Smash Legend
Jeff, I don't intend for any of this to piss you off. I'm honestly just trying to help. And as a pika/ICs player, who has played many of the top pikas, I have quite a bit of experience in the mu.

There is really no reason you should have dropped either of those games. You dropped the sopo cg on pikachu multiple times, so make sure you work on that. The other thing is once again. I saw NO pivot grabs.. Pivot grab is king in this matchup. It beats all those approaches esam was doing to **** you up. You kept doing some kind of like. Turn around dash grab.. idk if this was you screwing up pivot grabs, but ESAM kept getting away with like.. running up and dairing you. or fairing you. those are simple pivot grabs. Make sure to make use of them. Please don't say "yeah, I know. john #3, etc." You need to work on using pivot grab in the matchup.

The other thing. When he is jolting from behind the platform on the other side of bf. Don't approach unless he is clearly trying to time you out. Just desynch IBs or get on the platform on your side and jump and IB until he moves.

He is good at mashing, so I get why a few of your grabs you F'ed up from trying to go too fast, but try to calm your nerves in a match and choose the best option. For instance, you ended a dthrow chain a bit early with sopo game 1 and ended with fthrow when you could have fsmashed.

You actually can probably beat him, I'd just once again say pivot grab. Use it. A lot.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
To add on:

Jeff, why are you dash grabbing? Dash grabs are really bad. They have shorter ranges than standing grab and longer cooldown.

You airdodged into him too much. This goes for alot of characters, but pikachu especially, DO NOT AIR DODGE INTO THEM.

You did good overall though, just need to cut back on the mistakes. Also, Jabbing/Ftilting out of shield would be a nice habit to pick up since he likes to come at you with grab.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Dash grabs have more range vertically and horizontally than standing grabs actually. The only reason they are bad is because they give your opponent more time to mash.

DeLux

Inafter what Hylian said. However, if you DSG, that horizontal distance becomes negligible in certain respects.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
aye guys what ever advice you can give me for round 2 with him ill will take it. He said i was one of the hardest IC hes ever fought and i want to beat him next time.
Jeff, I don't intend for any of this to piss you off. I'm honestly just trying to help. And as a pika/ICs player, who has played many of the top pikas, I have quite a bit of experience in the mu.

There is really no reason you should have dropped either of those games. You dropped the sopo cg on pikachu multiple times, so make sure you work on that. The other thing is once again. I saw NO pivot grabs.. Pivot grab is king in this matchup. It beats all those approaches esam was doing to **** you up. You kept doing some kind of like. Turn around dash grab.. idk if this was you screwing up pivot grabs, but ESAM kept getting away with like.. running up and dairing you. or fairing you. those are simple pivot grabs. Make sure to make use of them. Please don't say "yeah, I know. john #3, etc." You need to work on using pivot grab in the matchup.

The other thing. When he is jolting from behind the platform on the other side of bf. Don't approach unless he is clearly trying to time you out. Just desynch IBs or get on the platform on your side and jump and IB until he moves.

He is good at mashing, so I get why a few of your grabs you F'ed up from trying to go too fast, but try to calm your nerves in a match and choose the best option. For instance, you ended a dthrow chain a bit early with sopo game 1 and ended with fthrow when you could have fsmashed.

You actually can probably beat him, I'd just once again say pivot grab. Use it. A lot.
your right on the piviot grabs because i notice it dose work after replaying my videos and watched what i did right and wrong. i pivot grabbed him out of quick attack once and that's the only pivot grab i did the entire set. so yea im totally taking your advice on that.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just remember you cannot pivotgrab a tornado when it's done correctly. But it's good to practice it as punishing an incorrect nado is a big thing in MK MU for everyone :)

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Bf its better than picto because you can get ****ed over at picto and Mk can also to.
wat? please make SENTENCES.

but yeah, you just got impatient at the end. You saw he didn't mash too fast (else he would have gotten out at the lower percent grabs) but you still had a "hurry up and kill him off" mindset near the end and threw away 3 grabs. Check your opponents space better. Its MK, don't rush him down; Let him rush YOU down first so you can see his patterns. You didn't desynch / keep yourself desynched quite as solidly or as much as you could. MK doesnt have a straightforward answer for Blizzard wall, he has to get around it somehow, so use that to box him in.

Roller

Smash Legend
Next time play on Smashville or Bf its better than picto because you can get ****ed over at picto and Mk can also to.
I think picto is actually ok vs mk if you like the stage. As is BF or YI. I usually wont go smashville vs a mk (especially if they are the type that like to run the clock) since that moving platform can be a ***** in the right hands.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
I think picto is actually ok vs mk if you like the stage. As is BF or YI. I usually wont go smashville vs a mk (especially if they are the type that like to run the clock) since that moving platform can be a ***** in the right hands.
yea thats true, but i was just saying picto can mess you over.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
The only similar thing I see is the lack of desynching.
We approach the MK matchup the same (I watched a bunch of him v MK). I use the same punishes and try and create the same situations. The only real difference is I'm a bit more aggressive with my uairs.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And he's wayyyy better at cging than you >_> lol.

Kakera is still my favorite IC. 9B is better at Cging than him though and actually does the dthrow cgs

ch33s3

Smash Lord
And he's wayyyy better at cging than you >_> lol.

Kakera is still my favorite IC. 9B is better at Cging than him though and actually does the dthrow cgs
I haven't dropped a grab on a lightweight in quite a whie, thank you very much.

Jerk.

<4

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I haven't dropped a grab on a lightweight in quite a whie, thank you very much.

Jerk.

<4
I've never seen you do the buffered dthrow until they can't mash out till dthrow like he does though. I've been telling people to do this foreverrr and he is the first person aside from myself that I've seen cg like that.

Also, you dropped a lot of grabs vs larry at mlg. :p.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I've never seen you do the buffered dthrow until they can't mash out till dthrow like he does though. I've been telling people to do this foreverrr and he is the first person aside from myself that I've seen cg like that.

Also, you dropped a lot of grabs vs larry at mlg. :p.
I do the dthrows all the time o.O. I clearly need to post more vids.

And yes, after Larry I hit the time chamber, two weeks after that, I stopped dropping.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I do the dthrows all the time o.O. I clearly need to post more vids.
You do need to post more vids.

By better you mean?

Because of all the vids I've seen of Kakera he is more consistent with his grabs, the only time I really see him drop it is when the opponent breaks out or nana trips.

9B is more solid standard, Kakera is more technical.

Top Bottom