• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ice Climbers' Video Thread

2-DJeff

Smash Master
I was dropping cg's all over the place day 1 of pound and then day 2 I suddenly started playing the best I've every played lol was so strange.
No johns bro. If you drop grabs your hand to hand better be really good. I use hand to hand against zss players because I drop a lot of grabs against her

:phone:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No johns bro. If you drop grabs your hand to hand better be really good. I use hand to hand against zss players because I drop a lot of grabs against her

..How was I johning in any way or form? I wasn't making excuses for anything lmao.

Also, I've beaten a lot of really good mk players in tournament without grabbing them once.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The irony is what you call "hand to hand", the ICs use hammers to fight. When they actually go hand to hand, they are cging people lol

2-DJeff

Smash Master
The irony is what you call "hand to hand", the ICs use hammers to fight. When they actually go hand to hand, they are cging people lol
lol shutup brawl johns.
@hylian
Saying that you played better day2 of pound was irrelevant to what kid was saying and so I took it as a john because it kinda sound like you was putting it as a (if you played me this day it would have been a closer fight)

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm not sure what it is. Like at whobo I beat tyrant, 3 stocked inui..and then lost to inui LOL I'm not sure what was up with that. I played better at pound after I was out till 3am at a club and had gotten drunk the second day compared to the first when I had a lot of sleep lol.
I kind of think you're the opposite of me. You need to not care and you do well. I need to be INCREDIBLY focused and really, REALLY want to win or else i lose to randoms.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I basically play the same whether I care or not. Sometimes I just play bad, like WHOBO before I got knocked out. After I was out I played amazing in every MM I played/Low tier. It was weird.

ICs are fun. I should have new videos after this weekend to put up.

Roller

Smash Legend
You missed option e, opponents play against you differently. You've said yourself you drop more grabs than hylian, who drops about the same amount as I do (give or take). If someone sees that an IC can't consistently CG them, they're going to play more aggressively and go towards your pivot grabs because the risk/reward is drastically shifted.

If I'm playing an IC out to pge, and I notice they're not finishing their CGs, I'm certainly in their face. I'll risk getting pg'd and taking 40 or 60 to get the hit I need to get nana.
...I drop fewer grabs than Hylian. ESPECIALLY on that day. Hylian is a better player than I am, not gonna argue that at all. As is Lain, but my CGs are more consistent than most ICs. The reason those guys place higher than me is because they are better at virtually everything else.

I mean.. look at Kid's post. I was the most consistent cg'er he faced, clearly by your logic he would be playing more carefully against me than anyone else... You are only strengthening my argument.

When did I say I was worse at cging than Hylian? lol (vs certain heavies in particular he may be more consistent, but on the whole I believe I am.) And it is commonly accepted by most of MI that my cg's are better than Lain's. Again, he is way beyond me in everything else (And his mk is absurd. Which helps.)But Kid Played Lain at that tourney as well, and although Lain won pretty soundly, he dropped more grabs than I did and the match was a little closer between them.

Just for reference..
when i play all the ICs at pound. how well I did or didnt do against them was pretty much solely and entirely dependant on how many grabs they dropped.

Hylian: Dropped a lot of grabs, I won.
Lux: Was fairly consistent but dropped a few from time to time. beat me 6 games straight, all of them being really really close for the most part.
Lain: Didnt drop many grabs but at the same time i didnt let him grab me as much as the other 3. I should have won game 2 on Picto but I SDd. Game 1 was rather decisive in his favor.
Roller: Dropped almost no grabs, and stomped me out as a result.

You inb4'd me. =(

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think I am super consistent with chaingrabs. If I have a bad day, then I have a bad day but normally I cg most people in tournament 0-death. I drop cg's against snake more often than anyone else though. I almost always cg mk/light characters 0-death as well as characters like DDD etc etc. I have 0-deathed a mk in the front seat of a car while the tv was in the back and I couldn't see or hear it lol.

DeLux

I feel like I had a major breakthrough in the MK matchup recently :) :) :)

Hopefully it translates well to tournament

Roller

Smash Legend
I think I am super consistent with chaingrabs. If I have a bad day, then I have a bad day but normally I cg most people in tournament 0-death. I drop cg's against snake more often than anyone else though. I almost always cg mk/light characters 0-death as well as characters like DDD etc etc. I have 0-deathed a mk in the front seat of a car while the tv was in the back and I couldn't see or hear it lol.
...I practice while watching stuff on hulu. Not like occasionally. That is the majority of how I practice if I'm only working on cgs. And I think most decent ICs can do this.
No one can see me on Consistency when cg mk maybe lain amd esam lol jk I never seen you guys fight good mks

As pretty much the only person in Ann Arbor with a Wii that Lain had access to, I can say for certain that he virtually NEVER plays ICs at all outside of tourney, and as such his cg's are not as consistent as they used to be (except on say.. mk.) ESAM seems pretty consistent to me. And from what I've seen of you, you're fine at CGing. Definitely need help on snake, but I think we all could use a bit of help there. lol

I think Smoom may be most consistent in US right now with cg's. Not sure though.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah smoom is probably the most consistent honestly.

I never play IC's outside of tournament either anymore :/ I really need to lol I only play Falco/MK now in friendlies as well as random. Never IC's or GW.

Also roller whenever I watch you cg I feel like it's too slow. It doesn't look like you buffer and it makes me think people should mash out against you :/. Dunno though could have just been the matches I saw at pound.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Yeah smoom is probably the most consistent honestly.

I never play IC's outside of tournament either anymore :/ I really need to lol I only play Falco/MK now in friendlies as well as random. Never IC's or GW.

Also roller whenever I watch you cg I feel like it's too slow. It doesn't look like you buffer and it makes me think people should mash out against you :/. Dunno though could have just been the matches I saw at pound.
I agree, Smoom too good.

I think I got that impression from Roller as well from the matches I saw. But yeah, everyone should be able to CG lights without looking by now, middies too.

Roller

Smash Legend
Oh no, you are completely correct Hylian, in that match vs Kid he certainly could have mashed at lower percents vs me, I was not buffering as I had only played one other sonic before ever. And as I only had access to an hdtv at the time I hadn't been practicing on random chars in a while. I also had seen your and Lain's pools matches with him and Lain got away with not buffering cg's against him. You tried it and kept dropping them, I figured I'd just do it at a speed I knew I'd be able to do consistently.

Lightweights I always buffer, however there are a few characters (like sonic and depending on my recent practice, diddy, etc) where I may not use it in a given match if I'm not feeling comfortable cging the char on that day. Usually on characters like that, diddy for instance; I will d-throw->f-throw/dthrow chain them for a bit first to help assuage that though.

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
@ d1aos friend.
when m2k/ally/nairo/anti play mk dittos. in grand finals of a tourney, does that mean that the better player isnt winning because its dittos? the concept of 'dittos dont count' is stupid and should be done away with. unless its something like ddd dittos or IC dittos or something really stupid and gay like that, theres reallly no basis for that mindset.

That being said, sonic dittos are very much about reaction time, split second reading, and most importantly, out thinking the other guy. if you were the guy that was there, you would have seen the other 2-3 matches, which all proceeded to go further and further in my favor. i def. 2-0d or 3-0d him. not saying hes bad, and i know one video doesnt give a very concrete impression. but based on what i saw from when i played him, i was easily a couple step ahead of him at the time. I think even he'll agree to that. However, like you said, hes stepped up a lot and im proud of him but I still think im better, althought ill have to proof it again, just like i do everytime someone says im not as good as I say.
2-0ed, and match 2 went to last stock as well (though you were at a lower % than you were in match 1).

Anyway, from my experiences I'm pretty bad at the Sonic ditto, I need to step it up. I'll say that you were better than me at Pound V, I was making too many careless mistakes, getting punished for the same thing over and over again (too much spring to dair for example), approaching when I should have laid back and played it safe, etc. Now, however, I'm not going to say that you're better than me nor am I going to say that I'm better than you as far as Sonic goes.

I also have to agree with RBM, I've seen that ditto pop up as evidence of you being better than me more than once. It's not the fact that it's a ditto that lessens the value of it being proof, it's the fact that you beating me in one set does not equate to you being better than me, especially with the matches being close. I've also seen you bring up the point that you made it out of pools and I didn't, thus meaning you outplaced me. If you want to go there though, I went all Sonic in pools, unlike you (not to mention I earned a bracket spot, but bracket manipulation aside >_>).

Although I'm often not too fond of the things you say, I do admire your confidence. :p As I said at Pound V I've got a ways to go, but I definitely am making/have made some progress. :awesome:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'll have videos from my last tournament up relatively soon.

Vinnie has a few ICs vids too, we have an IC ditto.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Yep, I am the most consistent. Atleast from when I played last lol.

Starting in February, I would practice my CGs atleast an hour a day. Going through the roster once or twice. At Nikefest, I didn't drop any CGs (only to nades, naners, or Kprime mashing lolol) at all.

Then at whobo, (i'm still practicing everyday), I didn't drop any that I can think of, but I think I dropped a tiny few.

When I finally got to that point that I'm confident CGing everyone, it just STICKS. The last time I played, (like two weeks ago) I wasn't messing up still.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yep, I am the most consistent. Atleast from when I played last lol.

Starting in February, I would practice my CGs atleast an hour a day. Going through the roster once or twice. At Nikefest, I didn't drop any CGs (only to nades, naners, or Kprime mashing lolol) at all.

Then at whobo, (i'm still practicing everyday), I didn't drop any that I can think of, but I think I dropped a tiny few.

When I finally got to that point that I'm confident CGing everyone, it just STICKS. The last time I played, (like two weeks ago) I wasn't messing up still.
You dropped grabs against tyrant :/.

Teh Future

Smash Master
kinda like this for me. i can still cg fine and i havent used or practice with ics for months (?)

DeLux

-Use better desync options (ie: setups vs. desyncs). Every time you did a 2 Dash Dance Desync to have Popo special, you could have done it to where Nana specialed.

- Know your setup options better. You used desyncs at times when you could have been applying pressure. I say this because I do this a lot too.

- I liked your IB chase read where you rolled back instead of going in. Based on the read, he was conditioned to spot dodge the grab attempt. The RPS answer to that is to run through the Spot Dodge and Pivot grab on your way out. But you didn't captialize on that.

- JCUsmashOOS if he doesn't space aerials. Free Kill? Free kill :)

-Learn to space your shield grab better. Luigi is one of the more shield grabbable characters if you know how to shield grab correctly

-CG faster so you don't get mashed on. I think it only happened once on Frigate.

- Don't Fair during CGs. Absolutely no reason to do that. Guaranteed is better.

- Don't be afraid to win. You changed your playstyle dramatically when it was the last stock. I do this too. Do what you were doing to get you to the last stock and you'll be fine.

Did you want more specifics and examples from the video or does that help?

B0NK

Smash Lord
That's perfect actually.

Also I don't really NEED to CG faster, at that speed no one ever shakes out (I don't say impossible to, because I don't know the frame data off the top of my head). I dropped the grab on frigate, I believe it was cause by improper buffering since nana did a dash grab instead of a pivot grab (if you have insight on what happen, it would be appreciated). But I agree, I can always learn to CG faster =) (possibly with trip proof CGs).

Also I dropped a grab on one of the yoshi matches... welp =/

JCUp-smash, got it! -_^b

I'll work on capitalizing on my desyncs (and dashes for desyncs).

I Fair-ed CG because it was a resort back to an old habit... since that was like the first CG I learned forever ago >.< Sometimes I start that by mistake instead on Sopo D-throw CG > Nana Grab, by then it was too late, or I was thinking I was committed to it at that point, I'll work on it =P

I'll review opportunities where I could have shield-grabbed, or set-up one. But I would say Boss is very safe in general, and unless the Jab itself was perfect shielded... it's pretty damn good move at stuffing grabs >.> (and combo-ing into d-smash D:)

Last comment is definitely something I noticed watching the match (especially going off the stage to try and get the kill... losing Nana, aka don't give Boss a chance >.<), thanks for pointing that out! =)

Anymore comments from anyone is appreciated, so keep them coming :D

DeLux

I mean at the start of the CG to go faster to dthrow when Boss mashed out.

If you know HOW to shield DI > Grab consistently, very few moves are safe on shield, even if it's not PS'd. That's what I mean by space it. Space it using Shield DI

I've grabbed Marth's tipper fsmash on a nonPS block with amazing Shield DI :)

Roller

Smash Legend
Lux said most of what I would have, but one of his points that I reeeeally think you should listen to is the whole fair spike cging thing. It's always better to just regrab after the dthrow. Obviously you dropped that cg there to it and I saw you drop a grab in your set vs Luckay due to it.

I understand your stance on the cging speed. Truth be told that is how I usually cg luigi. I start out with buffered dthrow->bthrow at low percents, but then use that one once it's around 40%.

Top Bottom