• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Copperpot

Smash Ace
It must feel comforting to surround yourself in such a false sense of security, doesn't it?
Well, having high hopes can be either extremely rewarding or very treacherous. Trust me, if you are right, anyone saying that he's 'already in' will get what is coming to them. Don't get me wrong. I want him in the game too, but I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

You think that because Geno hasn't been deconfirmed yet, he still stands a chance? That's just sad, to be honest. Where the hell do you people acquire such an inverted sense of thinking?
It's no different than assuming a character has a chance because they haven't been confirmed either. There really isn't any other way to discuss a character's potential inclusion. I don't see what is wrong with suggesting that Geno (or dare I say, Skull Kid) could be in the roster. After all, Sakurai hasn't said or done anything to suggest that either of them won't be.

But if you are still waiting for that day, well I'd hate to break the news to you this early, but I fear you'll be waiting until the 10th of February until you finally come to your senses, so don't hold your breath. And I bet even after the final roster is revealed, which is probably long before that date, you'll still be furiously searching through that list of playable characters - sans Geno.
It's definately a possibility, but there's an equal chance that come that day we'll all be much more happy (well, some of us at least).

Oh, but guess what guys! Recently, some random *ss characters that everybody already knew weren't going to make it have been deconfirmed lately. Unfortunately, your beloved character was not able to participate in this disheartening act of mass *geno*cide. Coincidence? IT MUST BE! ...stupid beyond stupidity. It's not like Sakurai is just going to post an update tomorrow stating,

"HAI GUYS check out this cool new item we have in store for you today!
p.s. Geno has been deconfirmed. Have a nice day!"
If Sakurai was going to go out of his way to deconfirm a character, I can only hope that he'd muster enough respect to do it this way. It's a better alternative to waiting until release and finding out then . . .

Wishful thinking, but I suppose it's not quite that easy. However, that doesn't stop overzealous fanboys from taking a simple generalization and twisting it around they see it's contorted form through their own eyes.
Everything that goes on in here is a result of wishful thinking. The problem is that when one person's wishes contradict someone else's, scuffles like these break out.

Admittedly, we have a couple of 'bad eggs' in this thread (they should know who they are), but you can't really go anywhere on the net and find a place without them. They're everywhere, I tell ya' . . .

Just keep in mind that some of us know who are making fools of themselves. We're not all blinded by anger/immaturity/bitterness.

It's a shame, because when those fragile walls come crashing down, you will probably be too dumbfounded to realize how oblivious you were to the reality of the situation.
How can we not be oblivious? No one on these boards knows the reality of the situation.

Take a moment, if you will, to peer through that dense fog of ignorance that enshrouds any possible trace of sound judgment.
I'd like to think that I'm offering some sound judgement, and I hope you're not taking it as just 'wishful thinking.'

Why, from any logical standpoint, would any 3rd party developer willingly hand over its intellectual property to another developer so that they may utilize its benefit for their own intents and purposes?

Because that benefit is mutual.
Sounds about right.

Do you think that the success of Brawl will help out Konami and the future of their Metal Gear Solid series? What if Sega decides to develop a new Sonic title, will they suddenly notice a jump in his fanbase? And how about Capcom; if they wish to participate in this, which of their characters do you think they will donate to grab people's attention toward future releases? I think you get the point.
This, right here, is where your argument becomes a bit tangential. Don't misconstrue the fact that Sakurai, as director, has complete control over who gets in and who doesn't. If Capcom decided to 'donate' a character, Sakurai has every right to say no. Why? Well, he's the one with the vision. If he doesn't like it, that's about all there is to it.

And moving on...we come across Square. But in the case of Geno, does that very same formula apply? Let's delve in and take a look at the potential of this "mutually beneficial" deal between Square and Nintendo.
Sounds good.

What does Square have to gain by giving up Geno, their intellectual property, to Nintendo? Where is the benefit of giving publicity to such an obscure character of a dead franchise? Out of all the potential characters that could represent the Square franchise, would they ever choose the complete and utter misrepresentation that is the character Geno?
No.
Why not? For all we know, a spot in Brawl could be the beginning of something huge for the character. I wouldn't complain if deals were made and Geno was suddenly the hottest Square item since Cloud. It's highly improbable, but you can't say that it couldn't happen.

Again, Geno wouldn't be 'representing' Square. He represents a part of Mario history.

What does Nintendo have to lose by pursuing Square about Geno's inclusion to Brawl? When dealing with copyrights, if Square has nothing to gain out of this deal, then do you expect Nintendo to pay for his rights? Do you expect them to go through the hassle of such frivolous paperwork and extreme misuse of time? Do you expect them to go entirely out of the realm of possible characters available at-hand just to appease an insignificant group of stubborn fanboys?
No.
As their customer, I expect them to do whatever it takes to make me happy. Obviously, this can't always be met. I understand that. It's as simple as supply and demand.

Thread over.
I assure you that this won't put a stop to the normal fare that occurs here from day to day.

Judging from your grammatical skill, I can assume that you have more tools at your disposal than insults. Don't stoop to the level of the idiots on these boards.

Thread continued.

SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
I had a similar proposition to Square, believe me, asking Nintendo about that is useless, they wont say a thing, and i doubt we'll be able to tell if Geno's possibly in or not based on how they say what, but it never hurt to try

Tell ya what, if someone does that, ill e-mail Square about Geno and see their reaction
ill gladly call right now

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Good News and bad news

Bad News, Maya PLE is to restrictive for me to finish my Geno model the way I want

Good News, I have full version of 3DS Max now, I'm starting over. (Can't export with **** Maya)

Heres as far as I got

Well Brawls been pushed back so I've got time.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nice with the 3D model and stuff

Here's my idea for Geno story in SE, though it almost seems like some characters are thrown in randomly

I can just imagine Geno...

probably late in the game in some kind of dark, starry, space-like or alternate dimension stage...The music mystic, soft and mysterious...

He is in his star form and you fallow him, as he leads you through a maze...Then revelas himself with a bright flash of light as he explains what is going on to the character...

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I seriously hope that every playable character gets a role in adventure mode - it'd make Geno's potential revival all the sweeter.

About Geno's potential visual upgrade; I think there's something we've overlooked. Despite Geno never being a 2D sprite, his form never really entailed visual joints - and seeing as he's made of wood, it'd be necessary in order for his body to maneuver properly. Therefore, Sakurai would really have no choice BUT to take some level of artistic freedom on his body.

Oh - and his hat. I severely hope that he takes a look at his sprites before he does anything - the game artwork doesn't give off the proper shape - it turns into a honeycomb, while it should actually be more like Link's hat.

swim2007

Smash Apprentice
Even if Geno is not chosen I think at least one character from smrpg should be chosen. It is such a gold mine of unused characters and long forgotten names. Geno, Mallow, any of the bosses, etc. I suspect someone to come out of this game and be represented in brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Even if Geno is not chosen I think at least one character from smrpg should be chosen. It is such a gold mine of unused characters and long forgotten names. Geno, Mallow, any of the bosses, etc. I suspect someone to come out of this game and be represented in brawl.
If any character from Mario RPG gets in, it's assured to be Geno...

Though Mallow might make an appearance...AT maybe?

If we got BOTH as PC's I sure wouldn't be complaining

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Dude, if both Geno AND Mallow were playable, that'd be the greatest thing ever. Add in Smithy as a boss, and you've got the best game ever made.

However, I severely doubt the chances of this. That's why I'll stick to just supporting Geno for now.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Just stopping in to say Geno rocks the box office. Not my favorite character but I'd be very happy to try his moves out, and he's quite an original fighter. He doesn't look very intimidating but he sure proves his strength in Mario RPG. Anyone who can do a drive-by unarmed is a friend to me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Other than Sonic and Snake, I don't think any secret characters have been announced yet...

Dang, maybe Sakurai is saving them...

Why are the 64 secret characters secret again in Brawl though?

...either way Geno seems like he won't be announced for a while...

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling we're going to get a character next week. The question is whether Sakurai wants to keep the "veterans" list as high or higher than the "newcomers" list, which I'm guessing yes but in the end I bet there are more new ones than old ones. A foolish hypothesis from TidalSpiral.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
One thing about the "Square wouldn't gain from using Geno lol" argument:

Think about it: Geno's just about the only character that has a chance for Brawl that Square's not currently making money off of. By allowing him into Brawl, they get to make a profit from a character that would otherwise have just continued to collect dust in the corner, and increased chances of future appearances means even more money.

The biggest problem with the GameFAQS anti-Geno arguments is they overplay the obscurity of SMRPG. They act like no one's ever heard of it. The fact is the game has a BIG fanbase. How else would Geno get such a high place in the polls?

....I'm not a fangirl, I just love debating. :D

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One thing about the "Square wouldn't gain from using Geno lol" argument:

Think about it: Geno's just about the only character that has a chance for Brawl that Square's not currently making money off of. By allowing him into Brawl, they get to make a profit from a character that would otherwise have just continued to collect dust in the corner, and increased chances of future appearances means even more money.

The biggest problem with the GameFAQS anti-Geno arguments is they overplay the obscurity of SMRPG. They act like no one's ever heard of it. The fact is the game has a BIG fanbase. How else would Geno get such a high place in the polls?

....I'm not a fangirl, I just love debating. :D
Whether is obscure or not, people will have acces to it when it comes out on the virtual consel...

Since the relase date of Smash has been pushed back, they now have time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
*Bump because of spam*

Anyway, you've all seen THIS?

Can't wait to see Geno's pixel!

Sinn

Smash Lord
Holy ****, that's cool. I am so stealing that Zelda as an avatar. After recoloring it, of course. Think they'd be mad? Why else would they allow us to download each sprite by itself?

0rion

Smash Journeyman
^^^Be a espionage avatar theft by night.....be a Splinter Cell!

But yeah, all this Geno not getting in because of Megaman bothers me. It's makin a brotha ill.....

I need Geno confirmed! That will be my one and only remedy for my sickness. coughcoughcough

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
^^^Be a espionage avatar theft by night.....be a Splinter Cell!

But yeah, all this Geno not getting in because of Megaman bothers me. It's makin a brotha ill.....

I need Geno confirmed! That will be my one and only remedy for my sickness. coughcoughcough

Bleh, they will BOTH get in...

...Most of the people saying that have no idea what they are talking about in the first place...

especially Megaman as apparent in their complete hatred of Classic

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Bleh, they will BOTH get in...

...Most of the people saying that have no idea what they are talking about in the first place...

especially Megaman as apparent in their complete hatred of Classic
Nuh uh, they both 3rd party. According to Sakurai, this is gunna be the 3rd and final third party installement cuz. And I don't see Geno gettin in before Megaman. That is unless we shred Capcom's paperwork in the shredder!:)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nuh uh, they both 3rd party. According to Sakurai, this is gunna be the 3rd and final third party installement cuz. And I don't see Geno gettin in before Megaman. That is unless we shred Capcom's paperwork in the shredder!:)
Sakurai NEVER said there was any limit to the third party...that is just an assumption that keeps being brought up as a reason why someone else's 3rd party character won't get in.

I still think Geno is getting in because there is no reason why he shouldn't or won't other than assumptions

The only thing that matters is if Sakurai went to Square about it

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai NEVER said there was any limit to the third party...that is just an assumption that keeps being brought up as a reason why someone else's 3rd party character won't get in.

I still think Geno is getting in because there is no reason why he shouldn't or won't other than assumptions

The only thing that matters is if Sakurai went to Square about it
So lemme get this straight, do you think that Sakurai and Co. delayed Brawl so that high demand 3rd party people like Geno can Smash it up with the best of them cuz?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So lemme get this straight, do you think that Sakurai and Co. delayed Brawl so that high demand 3rd party people like Geno can Smash it up with the best of them cuz?
No, Sakurai knew personally all the people involved in the making of Geno, I think he was almost assured as being looked into as one of the characters from the beggining. He was high ranking on the polls

I think the delay is only because of tweaks and perfection in balance and fixing glitches...just finishing touches

0rion

Smash Journeyman
No, Sakurai knew personally all the people involved in the making of Geno, I think he was almost assured as being looked into as one of the characters from the beggining. He was high ranking on the polls

I think the delay is only because of tweaks and perfection in balance and fixing glitches...just finishing touches
This makes me wish I was part of Sakurai's development team.....testing wise. Dang I wanna play as Geno more than anything! To have the Star Road Denizen at your fingertips......at my control....it's a feeling I can't describe in words.

Awesome over 9000 is all a brotha can muster.:grin:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
However, Sakurai might think he's too powerful as a character...

He did call Bowser, Peach and Mario too weak for him to consider their form...basically

BOSS Geno...now that would suck

Talendime

Smash Ace
However, Sakurai might think he's too powerful as a character...

He did call Bowser, Peach and Mario too weak for him to consider their form...basically
I think he was just being cocky when he spoke of himself like that.

Get it? 'Cause that doesn't even make sense if you think about it? ahah..

Anyway, I don't want to start an arguement about it, but Geno was definitely not much stronger than the rest of the gang. He was more of a well-rounded character (but still by far the best ;) )

I just don't think Sakurai is going to let this one slip. He's just been getting too much attention. Everyone loves him (for some reason..).

Snakz

Smash Ace
I think he was just being cocky when he spoke of himself like that.

Get it? 'Cause that doesn't even make sense if you think about it? ahah..

Anyway, I don't want to start an arguement about it, but Geno was definitely not much stronger than the rest of the gang. He was more of a well-rounded character (but still by far the best ;) )

I just don't think Sakurai is going to let this one slip. He's just been getting too much attention. Everyone loves him (for some reason..).
Well, not EVERYONE, but a lot of people do like him and want to see him in, but there's still those haters out there, whom i want to smite.

That would suck if Geno became a boss, i'd probably never be able to beat the SE :grin:

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
By the way, I think all Geno fans should get their hopes up because of Peach's Final Smash. She could put enemies to sleep and heal people in Mario RPG - using that game for inspiration might be a clue.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
That e-mail that they sent to you led me to believe Geno has little more chance then Sora..

I personally don't care for Geno, I didn't know who he was until I visited this forum, but he'd seem alright. The more the merrier.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
By the way, I think all Geno fans should get their hopes up because of Peach's Final Smash. She could put enemies to sleep and heal people in Mario RPG - using that game for inspiration might be a clue.
o_O I can't believe I didn't noticed that! I think you're right, I picture Sakurai thinking about Peach's final smash:

Sakurai: What could Peach's Final Smash be?...
(Random person walks in)
RP: Mr.Sakurai, we have finished Geno's design for the game, we took some moves from his specials...
Sakurai: !... Peach was in that game right?, what were her specials?
RP: Well, she could heal, revive allies, uh! and her Sleepy Time puts enemies to sleep
Sakurai: sleep huh...

:grin:

I don't recall any other game where Peach puts enemies to sleep (never played Super Princess Peach so I wouldn't know), and if Bowser FS wasn't Giga Bowser transformation, I can see it being Bowser crush!

I really, really, reeeeeally want GENO in Brawl, so every little hint makes me happy!

Duality

Smash Journeyman
The Peach FS was mostly from her DS game. Her moves in the game could have branched from the Mario RPG or it could be her general style, who knows.

Ukn0wn1

Smash Cadet
I assure you that this won't put a stop to the normal fare that occurs here from day to day.

Judging from your grammatical skill, I can assume that you have more tools at your disposal than insults. Don't stoop to the level of the idiots on these boards.

Thread continued.
Thanks for the post. I would continue to my purposeless crusade against Geno, but I don't wish to cause any more damage in here than I already have. I'm sorry everyone. It's just that when I get a bit angry sometimes, I have the tendency to turn into a hulk-style poster and my arguments take a turn for the worse.

I'm just glad there are sensible posters like you and Sinn who are here to give me reassurance that these boards aren't just a haven for bickering children and biased fanboys.

Keep supporting your favorite characters, and have fun in Brawl guys!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does anyone have ANY real clue (or link) if Sakurai really said he'd consider Geno a "special guest" and not a third party?
No one said he said that...Because that doesn't make any sense...

We do have a link that shows he puts him with the Mario characters though and not the non-nintendo characters...In fact he's right in with Mario characters, while Bomberman, Megaman, and Sonic are put with non-nintendo

Top Bottom