• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Phear333

Smash Rookie
Geno would be a great addition to SSBB, despite being in only 1 game. Go 999% Geno Whirl!

DokturSea

Smash Lord
MookieRah said:
I suppose we should hate sheik cause he was only in one game.

I also don't see the big "to do" with bashing the concept of putting a character IN A MARIO GAME, regardless who made it, into brawl. Geno is a badass, and has enough popularity to DEFINITELY warrant it to be a good move to add in Brawl. It's a HELL of a lot more likely than a FF character, who has no ties to Nintendo. Keep in mind, while Snake was such a crazy character to add, he DID have connections to Nintendo.
Whoa now. Calm down. Read the beginning of my post. I'm not bashing or hating anyone.

But I guess I'd just have to play his game, like Shark X said. Oh well. Continue your merry making.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom said:
yes i agree except with ur last sentence, i want him to be really different b.c. he is way different from everyone else. but even if hes a luigified clone im going to get very angry off :mad:
I don't know if he should have the same moves, I just think he'd be a cross between Samus and Fox because he'd have some strong projectile attacks like Samus and at the same time be small and fast like Fox. I don't think he'd have a similar moveset than either of them as far as regular attacks go, his legs are too small and he has no flame thrower so there go half of Samus's moves right there.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
You only see Geno walk once when you first see him in Gaz's house to go to the forest, but he has really fast feet so he wouldn't need to extend his legs. Short legs doesn't mean he runs slow.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I have no idea, but I don't remember his legs extending in the game. I'd rather have Geno be more of a fist-fighter anyway.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Geno never used his legs for any attacks. He had magic attacks which were mostly big energy blasts and his regular weapons were guns that came out of his hands:

Finger Shot - Machine gun from his fingers
Double Punch - Shoots both of his fists
Hand Cannon - large cannonballs from his elbow
Hand Gun - A barrel emerges where his hand was and he shoots
Star Gun - Shoots stars from the barrels in his wrists

Geno never used his legs for attacking.

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
Yea, but I think for his UpB attack, his feet should turn into little rockets propelling him upwards. Other than that, all projectiles and what not shot be focused on his guns.

Shark X

Smash Lord
McFox said:
Geno never used his legs for any attacks. He had magic attacks which were mostly big energy blasts and his regular weapons were guns that came out of his hands:

Finger Shot - Machine gun from his fingers
Double Punch - Shoots both of his fists
Hand Cannon - large cannonballs from his elbow
Hand Gun - A barrel emerges where his hand was and he shoots
Star Gun - Shoots stars from the barrels in his wrists

Geno never used his legs for attacking.
Neither did Samus or Link, but they did for Smash, which is exactly my point. Some people need to read my post, and the post I responded to clearly.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Ya, I was saying that Geno doesn't use his legs, it was in response to someone saying he should attack like a cross between Fox and Samus. I was saying that he'd be like that because he'd be small and fast with firepower, but someone commented that he should have a smiliar moveset with them and I didn't think so cuz he doesn't use his feet like that. That whole rocket feet for the up B, though, that sounds like a good idea. But I don't think he should do too many kicking attacks, maybe the down air, too, that's about it.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Sigh. Everyone's going to kill me for this. Note that I'm not saying this because I hate Geno, but because I've decided that this sadly is the likely conclusion.

Geno's true name was actually a set of symbols that is unpronounceable by the human tongue (it is spelled as ♥♪!?)). The name, Geno, meanwhile, applies to his puppet. The truth is that the possessor of this puppet (who's name is unpronounceable) is an agent from the Star Road, a land that grants wishes. In order to have a body, he possessess the toy puppet Geno and teams up with Mario to fix the Star Road in Super Mario RPG. They do so. Geno then leaves the puppet body (rendering it inanimate once again) and returns to Star Road. The End.

Fast forward several years later in the real world (not the Mario Verse). Paper Mario comes out. In Paper Mario, it is revealed that the thing that actually grants wishes is not the Star Road, but a place called Star Haven and an artifact called the Star Rod. There IS a road to Star Haven, but it is referred to as Star Way, NOT Star Road.

Geno is not mentioned. The Star Road is not mentioned. None are even remotely hinted at and Star Haven from then on is emphasized as the land of wishes.

What is this? Was this a retcon? Were things changed so that Star Road and Geno (well, the guy who possessed the puppet of Geno and took on his name) never existed in the first place in Mario's storyline? If you assume that due to their contradicting storylines, only one or the other game could have taken place in the actual Mario canon (or the closest thing to it), one can only logically assume the TRUE depiction of the wish granting location is Paper Mario. Compared to Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario is made by Nintendo and not Square, Paper Mario is an actual series, Paper Mario is more recent, Nintendo actually definately 100% owns the rights to everything in Paper Mario, and Paper Mario references several other recent or upcoming Mario games in the Marioverse (Luigi's Mansion, for example. And the various party and sports games for what it's worth)

Of course, given the looseness of the Marioverse canon, one could just try to fudge things a bit. Maybe Geno's true name is actually pronounced as Klevar, Kalmar, or Mamar or something. Still, that would be quite the sloppiness on Nintendo's part to never even vaguely reference Super Mario RPG while they were so blatantly ripping off of its plot, so the retcon explanation makes a lot more sense, especially given the rockiness of the relationship with Square since then.

The end analysis? Geno as we know him from Super Mario RPG, the guardian of the stars (not the inainimate puppet shell), doesn't exist in even the loose canon of the Marioverse anymore. In fact, one must question if Super Mario RPG itself does anymore (not even going into whether it ever did in the first place). Of course, we see Geno in Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga, but that is not the Geno we all knew from Mario RPG. That is merely the puppet. The personality-less non-sentient outer shell toy that speaks with a robot-voice to give an automated tutorial. Star Road was retconned out of existence with Paper Mario, and along with it must go its agent who joined Mario RPG ♥♪!?), never to take up and possess the puppet known as Geno again.

Will Nintendo decide to do another retcon? Will (or has?) Nintendo ever buy the rights to Geno from Squaresoft (conveniently ignoring poor unloved Mallow) just to re-retcon an extremely popular and on-going Paper Mario series to insert back into the Marioverse? Or (presumably at Sakurai's behest for whatever reason), will they buy the rights to him JUST for Super Smash Bros. Brawl instead, giving him exposure and advertising that would benefit neither Squaresoft nor Nintendo in the future unless either one plans on using him again? Unfortunately, Nintendo using him again is doubtful because that would require retconning Paper Mario. As for Squaresoft if they still own Geno and plan on using him for some reason in the future, it is of questionable desire for Nintendo if it ends up benefitting Square, of whom we don't know how their relationship or business competetive standing exactly is at the moment.

No, I find that all doubtful.

The being from Super Mario RPG (as opposed to its outer shell of a puppet that does nothing but acts as a toy and spouts automated tutorials) Geno stands for a past long gone. A past that was retconned by Paper Mario, if it ever existed in the first place. A past that will thus likely not return, because Paper Mario, a series that continues to keep on going, contradicts it. The only remnant left over was last spotted 3 years ago as a personality-less husk of what it once was.

Farewell Geno. Alas, we knew ye well.

GenG

Smash Lord
I think that doesn't have anything to do with characters in Brawl. If a character fits and it's loved, it will appear no matter what.
Smash Bros' goals doesn't include making ties nor establish cohession between characters and the series they come from.

I can't remember very well, but Peach had a star friend from the Star Road in the first Paper Mario, maybe a Star spirit like Geno.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
GenG said:
I think that doesn't have anything to do with characters in Brawl. If a character fits and it's loved, it will appear no matter what.
Smash Bros' goals doesn't include making ties nor establish cohession between characters and the series they come from.
Yes, but this does go against one of the major reasons why Nintendo would want Geno to be in Smash.

Does he advertise and market something Nintendo will make in the future? No, because he's been apparently retconned out of the Marioverse (although his personalityless non-sentient husk remains).

You can combine that with other reasons like these:

Will he make more people buy Brawl who would not have brought it otherwise? ...dude, if you're a Geno fan to this day, then odds are that you brought Super Mario RPG and are passionate about it. If you brought Super Mario RPG and are passionate about it, then odds are pretty darn good that you're a big enough fan that you're going to buy Brawl whether or not Geno will be in it.

Does he represent a franchise not already represented that doesn't have more iconic or better candidates? No. There are TONS of Mario characters in Smash already and Toad likely has top bidding for any remaining slot, and if Nintendo wanted to represent specifically their Mario RPGs, they'd represent the LIVING ones that are still actually being made (and that they actually own) and use Fawful or Kammy, and even then they'd have to be smoking something strong.

Is he a recurring character in the Mario franchise (Sakurai has yet to use non-recurring characters when it comes to ongoing franchises with the exception of special case Sheik who's one with Zelda)? No if you're going by the being that possessed Geno. He only apeared ONCE in one game that was never referenced in any Nintendo game or by Nintendo again (and apparently retconned away into oblivion via Paper Mario, even). You can expand this to one game and a cameo if you include his outer husk of a shell puppet, but that's still not very many appearances especially given the many many games in the Mario Franchise.

Is he Nintendowned? Probably not. I don't see why Nintendo would have brought him from Square since Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga considering that they've apparently retconned him out of existance and nothing is left but a personalityless inanimate puppet.

End result is that Geno isn't very likely to be in Smash. Of course, there ARE wild cards like "Will Sakurai himself want to put Geno in Brawl over other characters", but they need to be weighed against wild cards like "Will Miyamoto accept it when Geno's been retconned and thus preferably his Star Road history forgotten?" and "How much will Squaresoft charge and what other beaurocracy hurdles are there?" and all of those are really too speculative to be useful for debate, anyways.

GenG said:
I can't remember very well, but Peach had a star friend from the Star Road in the first Paper Mario, maybe a Star spirit like Geno.
........as I've stated in my post, there is no Star Road in Paper Mario. There is a Star WAY and a Star HAVEN (as well as a Star Summit and a Star Valley), but no Star ROAD.

Shark X

Smash Lord
****it, Tiamat post too much. But from what I read of the first super long post before I got bored, Star Rod was in Paper Mario? What, Kirby and Dedede got sick of it or something?

I assume that Star Road and Star Haven (or star Way, whichever, I never played that far in Paper Mario before it bored me to death) are the samething. I believe the name was changed so people wouldn't confused Star Road, with Super Mario World's Star Road, which Mario Worlds Star Road was just a warp way.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
The only reason he wasn't in Paper Mario, is because Nintendo wanted to try something new. They combined some aspects(not many, but some) from Super Mario RPG(because they knew it was a success) and put it in Paper Mario.

These ingredients was a recipe for success. Why didn't they buy the rights to Geno and Mallow and any other character from SMRPG? It was because they felt that they could make their own success without having to pay more money than they already had to, but he made an appearance in the much better RPG Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Now is the time to please the huge following behind Geno, revive him if you will. Geno doesn't have to advertise an upcoming game, when he can advertise the upcoming virtual console.

GenG

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
Yes, but this does go against one of the major reasons why Nintendo would want Geno to be in Smash.

Does he advertise and market something Nintendo will make in the future? No, because he's been apparently retconned out of the Marioverse (although his personalityless non-sentient husk remains).
Have you seen NEW Ice Climbers or Game & Watch games? Of course not. Oh my, why Nintendo did put them in Melee then? For fanservice and nostalgia factor. And Geno fits in there.

Star Road was ommitted in Paper Mario for copyrights issues for sure. Nintendo renamed the game from Super Mario RPG 2 to Mario Story (Paper Mario in the US) because Square told them not to use without permission a name that they owned. But now it's totally different.

Geno is a loved character, and ties Nintendo with Squaresoft. They are in good mood now, to the point that Square is introducing character from Final Fantasy in the new Mario Basketball 3on3, like a Moogle. He made an appareance in Mario & Luigi as a "tutorial doll", but made it. Sakurai said already that Geno could be a nice third party addition to the roster, and his role in Mario RPG was somewhat romantic, the "spirit from above possessed a doll to watch us" thing.

He is very likely to appear in Brawl indeed. Don't understimate the power of a retro character...

icymatt

Smash Lord
I didn't know people actually cared about Mario continuity. I don't even think the developers care.

But, whether or not later Mario games reference Super Mario RPG or not doesn't take away how beloved the game is. And it's one of Smash Bros.' foremost goals to please diehard Nintendo fans. And diehard Nintendo fans want their Geno. I think Mr.S knows this.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
GenG said:
Have you seen NEW Ice Climbers or Game & Watch games? Of course not. Oh my, why Nintendo did put them in Melee then? For fanservice and nostalgia factor. And Geno fits in there.
I said combined with other reasons. One of those reasons was if the character represented an era or franchise that didn't already have representation by others, of which both IC and G&W do.

GenG said:
Sakurai said already that Geno could be a nice third party addition to the roster
To my knowledge, Sakurai merely has Geno on his list of mentioned characters. I don't recall him specifically saying "Geno could be a nice third party addition to the roster" and google search doesn't bring up anything of that sort. Are you sure this is correct? Obviously if it is, then Geno is certainly going to get extremely serious consideration beyond a shadow of a doubt, but this is the first time I've heard it (as well as the first time I've heard Geno geting OFFICIAL confirmation as being third party since Mario & Luigi: SSS).

GenG said:
Star Road was ommitted in Paper Mario for copyrights issues for sure. Nintendo renamed the game from Super Mario RPG 2 to Mario Story (Paper Mario in the US) because Square told them not to use without permission a name that they owned.
This is another statement that to my knowledge has never been confirmed. The only thing on Wikipedia remotely related to it seems to disprove it, saying that it was CRITICS (not Nintendo) that gave it the name of Super Mario RPG 2. If this statement IS true, then it has many ramifications (like possibly Nintendo wanted Geno and Star Road in Super Mario RPG 2 but then the Squaresoft fall-out occurred so it became Paper Mario etc etc) BUT to my knowledge, this statement has never been confirmed.

GenG said:
They are in good mood now, to the point that Square is introducing character from Final Fantasy in the new Mario Basketball 3on3, like a Moogle
But will it have Geno?

Shark X

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
To my knowledge, Sakurai merely has Geno on his list of mentioned characters. I don't recall him specifically saying "Geno could be a nice third party addition to the roster" and google search doesn't bring up anything of that sort. Are you sure this is correct? Obviously if it is, then Geno is certainly going to get extremely serious consideration beyond a shadow of a doubt, but this is the first time I've heard it.
Tiamats right about this one. I agree with him on that, as I never heard it either. Of course all that I have heard, turned out to be BS rumors.

GenG

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
To my knowledge, Sakurai merely has Geno on his list of mentioned characters. I don't recall him specifically saying "Geno could be a nice third party addition to the roster" and google search doesn't bring up anything of that sort. Are you sure this is correct? Obviously if it is, then Geno is certainly going to get extremely serious consideration beyond a shadow of a doubt, but this is the first time I've heard it (as well as the first time I've heard Geno geting OFFICIAL confirmation as being third party since Mario & Luigi: SSS).
Yes, I heard it but no proof so far. So this point it's no valid.

Tiamat said:
This is another statement that to my knowledge has never been confirmed. The only thing on Wikipedia remotely related to it seems to disprove it, saying that it was CRITICS (not Nintendo) that gave it the name of Super Mario RPG 2. If this statement IS true, then it has many ramifications (like possibly Nintendo wanted Geno and Star Road in Super Mario RPG 2 but then the Squaresoft fall-out occurred so it became Paper Mario etc etc) BUT to my knowledge, this statement has never been confirmed.
Yes, but originally, when the first screen of the game leaked in 1999, was called Mario RPG 2 by Nintendo. But then, in 2000, the game was renamed to Mario Story. I found this article in IGN, but there were no details, since anyone cared about it, then the Squaresoft involvement in the title change popped up, maybe as a rumor. I still think that Nintendo wanted to make a full sequel to Mario RPG, but we may never know if any possible link with the original game got cut with the title change like, for example, Geno, owned by Square.

Tiamat said:
But will it have Geno?
Who knows, the game is scheduled for July 25th I think, so we may now eventually. In this Famitsu page I got this morning , there is a moogle and a quick shot of a flying FF ship.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Hey! DK is playable! Just when I thought Nintendo were trying to hide his existence. And Wario has his classic outfit back. Too bad this is a stupid hand-held game, because Mario B-Ball is when I been looking forward to since Mario Baseball and Mario Soccer. **** Nintendo for makeing this a stupid handheld >.<

GenG

Smash Lord
DK has been playable in every Mario sport game for a looong time... Kart, Tennis, Baseball, Golf... he has the Konga games, Jungle Beat, King of Swing, Mario vs DK, the new Kongo Blast for GC... I don't think Nintendo is trying to hide him...

Shark X

Smash Lord
I can't be happy because DS is also an expensive system that I can't afford. Why make Tennis, Golf, Baseball, and Soccer for the console, but B-Ball for the handhelds?

And DK is missing from the last few Mario Party's (not playable I mean), and so far hasn't been confirmed for SSBB (although I doubt there's anything to worry about). If you want to get off subject with DK, check out the DK JR topic where I'm discussing the DK thing.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Wow, so Mario Basketball is coming out for DS? ****, I might have to buckle down and get a DS. I'm mad it won't be on Wii or Gamecube, though, like all the other Mario sports games.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
They need to calm down with all the Mario sports games.
The GC is dead, and they keep pushing DS, so that's why its coming out for DS.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I intend to get a DS someday, but at the same time, I'm TRYING to save up for Wii, still could never afford an Xbox, now I can't afford an Xbox 360, I'll never be able to get PS3, and I still can't afford a DS. I'll be lucky if I get a Wii, let alone Brawl.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget that Wii will have all the old Nintendo, Sega, and Turbografx 16 games downloadable from day 1. I have a long list of old games I'm gonna play through again, when I get my Wii and some time to play with it (no pun intended).

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Sonic didn't seem all that good. An awesome game for 360 is Oblivion. That game is just amazing. Kameo's Ok too.

I don't think they're gonna have a huge selection of games to d/l on the first day. Plus don't they cost money?

Shark X

Smash Lord
Hell, if I can't afford the DS, I sure as hell can afford it's games. I wouldn't mind buying DS games for Wii. Kinf of like how my cousin gave me the Super Gameboy, and I bought Gameboy games for it, without owning a Gameboy.

Top Bottom