• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I thought this was an intelligent debate until you said Toad should be in over Geno.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Tiamat said:
Although Sheik was introduced there, according to this, the only new playable character was Bowser. Therefore, you can't really prove that Zelda was added as an afterthought later on because it's possible that Zelda was always in the game but the footage they got together for E3 simply always had Zelda while she was in Sheik mode.
Actually, I didn't say that. I say that Sheik was the main character addition, and Zelda was added later. They showed off Sheik during the trailer (and I have the trailer if you really care that much), while Zelda wasn't even mentioned.

As for your other "points," allow me to try and shorten and simplify this increasingly long and complicated conversation:

You say Geno can't be in the game because:

1) He wasn't the star of his game.
2) He doesn't represent future investments from Nintendo (although you don't actually know that).
3) He doesn't ambiguously represent some kind of era.
4) The timeline of his story was changed.

Then I said:

1) He was one of the main characters in his game.
2) Possibly true.
3) He represents the SNES and one of the greatest games of all time.
4) Mario timelines are arbitrary.
5) He is one of the most popular characters in the history of Nintendo, representing a large portion of requests.

Then you responded with:

1) He wasn't the star of his game. (He was a major player)
2) He doesn't represent future investments from Nintendo (although you don't actually know that). (He might.)
3) He doesn't ambiguously represent some kind of era. (He represents one of the greatest games ever made, according to a large majority of people who have played it.)
4) The timeline of his story was changed. (Who cares?)
5) Sigurd wasn't in the game. (What?)
6) People wouldn't buy the game just to play as Geno. (An assumption you couldn't even begin to prove.)

I really don't see how your points disqualify Geno at all. So here we go with some new points!:

1) Sakurai does not pick characters simply to advertise. Sigurd was picked for Melee earlier, but due to time constraints, he was cut. Then, near the end of development and with the addition of the clones, Nintendo recommended Roy to advertise their new game. He is the only character like this, and he was a clone.

2) Sakurai has a history of picking random, obscure characters for the roster. Characters that have a cult-like following with many people, but aren't necessarily recognized by all gamers. Characters like these include Captain Falcon, the Ice Climbers, Marth, Mewtwo, and Ness.

3) Sakurai has been known to pick characters whose resume only includes a single game. He's even picked characters that were never playable at all. Case-in-point: Sheik AND Ocarina of Time's Ganondorf. Others characters who were only in one game include the Ice Climbers, Roy, Ness, and Dr. Mario.

4) Sakurai is also known for listening to fans' requests. That's the entire reason the poll was created. I doubt he would have made the poll for Japanese gamers if he was just going to just whimsically toss all of the suggestions aside. Because the poll was created at all, we can assume that he at least plans to considers fans' requests. Next, we can see that, of all of the characters on the list, Geno was almost definitely one of the most recommended, considering his huge popularity and probable even higher popularity in Japan, where RPGs rule.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
I thought this was an intelligent debate until you said Toad should be in over Geno.
Who me? I mean, I mentioned the intelligent debate, while he mentioned Toad, so I'm kinda confused at...meh forget it. I want my **** freaky looking Geno doll ****it!

GenG

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
Since you bring up Toad, I'll say that Toad is likely more popular and has a bigger fanbase. Thus according to you, Toad should get in instead of Geno based on the valid point of popularity and pleasing fanbases.
Including only overrated characters is something Sakurai doesn't like as he said in the poll, but he is interested in the strange and overlooked ones. So, why Pit? Dead series all the way. Why Balloon Fighter? Little Mac? Try to think what's trying to achieve Smash Bros Brawl. The first 5 characters are a resemblance to this goal = Retro, cool, new, weird and... Showtime. Glamour as I said: A Thanksgiving dinner without the grandpas is somewhat... sad.

Toad is a generic character. As Goombas are. So let's add goombas, koopas and piranha plants, they are advertising characters, who cares!

He is in the game already, in the spot he deserves.

Shark X

Smash Lord
There was a certain Toad, by the name of Toad, who was in Mario Bros 2, starred in Wario's Woods, appeared in several games like Mario Party, Mario Kart, etc. Sadly his name is Toad as well (unless this main Toad in Kinpino or whatever that Japanese name was). Thats the Toad we want in Brawl, not the race. But yes, Geno belongs more and makes more sense than Toad.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Shark X said:
Who me? I mean, I mentioned the intelligent debate, while he mentioned Toad, so I'm kinda confused at...meh forget it. I want my **** freaky looking Geno doll ****it!
No, I meant Tiamat.

After all this though, it makes sense that Geno would be in the game(Sigurd too! Even though that has nothing to do with this)

magar

Banned via Administration
Come on People, You Know Geno's Overated :p
He Hardly Has Any Chances Of Being In Brawl

Now, The Flaiming Starts :p

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Not really. That's what Tiamat was saying earlier. All you've proved with that post is that you haven't read any of the topic and you have no idea what's going on in it.

magar

McFox said:
Not really. That's what Tiamat was saying earlier. All you've proved with that post is that you haven't read any of the topic and you have no idea what's going on in it.
Actually, I Know All About Geno & His 2 Games

2 GAMES ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

& I Have Super Mario RPG 4 SNES

He's Not Even A Playable Character! :embarrass

So, Thats My Reasoning!

bbb

Smash Champion
magar said:

I could have sworn Geno was pretty much the second most important playable character in Mario RPG. Or maybe your talking about Super Star Saga? I don't know, but Mario RPG was arguably the best game for the SNES, arguably the best system, and deserves representation in some way, shape or form in Brawl and adding a character would be best. Preferably Geno because Mallow sucked.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Ganondorf had a big role? You don't even see him for most of the game. And Sheik shows up at the beginning of dungeons to teach you a song, then she leaves.

Geno had a bigger role than either of them.

magar

McFox said:
Ganondorf had a big role? You don't even see him for most of the game. And Sheik shows up at the beginning of dungeons to teach you a song, then she leaves.

Geno had a bigger role than either of them.
I Still Disaggree,

Why?

b/c Gannondorf Is A Hella Boss & Sheik Is ZELDA, So What Zelda Does, Shiek Can Also do.

& Geno Saves Games :p

D

Deleted member

If enough people want him, he'll be in. Popularity wins in the end, but its not neccessarily always a bad thing.

Yet I can't understand why Tingle would ever be even suggested for this game.

bbb

Smash Champion
magar said:
& Geno Saves Games :p
Wait, I don't remember Geno saving games.... When was this? Maybe I just forgot?

Also Tingle = the Zelda game's Michael Jackson

Iggy K

Smash Ace
magar said:

So, Thats My Reasoning!
...I hope your kidding with him not being playable in SMRPG, since I've played it lots of times, and I remember using Geno's in heaps of battles.

and it goes major playable character> boss

magar

Well, He's Not A Main Character In SMRPG
& He Did Save Games!
& If People Want Him In Than Change The **** Name To The ****-off smash **** pepples ****ing ****ty Choices

Shark X

Smash Lord
Ganondorf was at least a boss fight, which is more than Sheik ever did. Gox, haven't you noticed yet Magar is just trying to pointlessly argue when he knows he's wrong? He seems to do that with everyone O.o Or maybe you did finally realise and thats why you stopped kicking his *** with intelligent debate? :p

magar

Shark X said:
Ganondorf was at least a boss fight, which is more than Sheik ever did. Gox, haven't you noticed yet Magar is just trying to pointlessly argue when he knows he's wrong? He seems to do that with everyone O.o Or maybe you did finally realise and thats why you stopped kicking his *** with intelligent debate? :p
Or Maybe Ur Kissing His *** And Being An ******* 2 me! :embarrass

Shark X

Smash Lord
Not really. You argued against Geno, May, Diddy Kong, I think Megaman and Sonic too. But you been insulting me everysince the Rated M topic, so if anything, I'm not kissing anyone's ***, just Anti-Magar XD (btw, your Shyguy avatar was cooler imo).

Iggy K

Smash Ace
How is a compliment kissing someone's ***, and explain to me how he's not major, and Shark X, I do feel pretty compelled to make debates with people who post crap that is completely stupid, because they then tend to keep doing it through the rest of the thread and it get's annoying.

magar

Shark X said:
Not really. You argued against Geno, May, Diddy Kong, I think Megaman and Sonic too. But you been insulting me everysince the Rated M topic, so if anything, I'm not kissing anyone's ***, just Anti-Magar XD (btw, your Shyguy avatar was cooler imo).
You Gotta Be ****tin' Me Man!
I Do Have Desputes, But Ur Da One Dats ****ing on my *** bein a ****-head
So, I ant ****in' arround anymore
Thank You For Saying My ShyGut Was Cooler, I Might Swich Back or something else
If You Stop ****ing Flaiming me, ill stop flaiming you
Just Stop Being a ****-off
I Know Were Both Acting Like ***** But Lets Stop & Be Friends ?

Your Thoughts.....

magar

McFox said:
magar, stop making our forum crappy or I'll just ban you.
Please McFox Im Begging You, Dont Banned me Please, These Boards Are My Life And Ill Do Anything To Stay, Ill Kiss Your ***, suck your ****, even Have Sex w/ u Just Dont Banned Me Please :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Stop posting. That would make me really happy. If you don't have anything to say that's worth reading, then don't post it.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
See, "posting" would be the exact opposite of "not posting," which is what I told you to do.

Here's a big HINT: Don't post ANYTHING in response to this. It will greatly benefit you.

kaid

Smash Master
Magar, STFU.

My case against Geno is based on Sakura's statement that only 1-2 more 3rd party characters will be in brawl.

Sonic, of course, is the obvious choice, due to a 15 year (16, by the time Brawl is releaced) rivalry with Nintendo. It is possible that he could be the ONLY third party character, aside from snake.

For that last, optional 3rd party slot, there is a competition between Megaman, Geno, and Simon Belmount, with Sora a distant 4th. (he's on the list on a technicality, due to KH:CoM, but he does bring Squaresoft associations to Brawl)

Megaman is an icon. He's been everywhere, for longer than Sonic has been around. 90% of the gaming crowd has played at least one megaman game, and EVERY gamer knows who he is.

Simon Belmount is as old as Megaman, and reps a franchise as well known and even more loved than Megaman. However, with the passage of time, Simon himself has become increcingly obscure, as Alucard and now Soma Cruz steal his limelight.

Geno is a cult classic. Everyone who played SMRPG seems to have fallen in love with the character, but relativly few people who HAVN'T played even know who he is.

Sora is a borderline choice, only on one Nintendo game, with several games on a competing company's machine. However, his high profile would make his inclusion draw in the Square-Enix crowd. (I mean, let's face it, the PS2 had MANY more supporters than the Cube, and this would be a way to co-op some of them for the Wii)

Based on personal fame, Series fame, and Nintendo associations, Megaman wins the pot, followed by Simon, who lacks the same Personal fame. Sora has Personal AND Series fame, but lacks any major Nintendo association. Geno, however, has little fame outside his cult, but is dearly loved within his circles.

If there was enough 3rd party character slots for all of them, I'd love to see them all. But since Sakura has put limits in place, I only see Sonic and possibly Megaman getting into brawl.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I see just as much chance for Sora as I do for Captain N, Jackie Chan, and Chuck Noris.

But your right about Sonic (who isn't?), MegaMan, and Simon Belmont. Never heard of Soma Cruz though. I haven't played a Castlevania game since Castlevania 64.

EDIT: Alright! We made it to 30 pages in Geno's thread.

kaid

Smash Master
Soma was on a GBA and a DS Castlevania game. Pay him no mind.

As I said, Sora's only on the list as a technicality, as he has no nintendo connection worth mentioning. But kicking Sony when it's down (PS3's negitive rep) is a solid buisness move, so asking for sora's inclusion is not as much of a stretch as it could have been.

But I digress. I also do not feel Sora will make it into Brawl.

bbb

Smash Champion
I personnaly am not as much in love with Geno as I am in love with SMRPG (I usually went Mario Bowser Peach for my team any who :ohwell:)

However he is my second favorite original/not already in Smash Bro.s character, and Johnny has no priority over Geno seeing as he is arguably not even a BIG boss let alone the final boss, where as Geno is a main character who is invaluable to the plot, so, go Geno, I'm rootin' for ya buddy!

Oh, and Mallow sucks.

bbb

Smash Champion
hmm, I could see that team, but Peach + Lazy Shell Armor wins, end of discussion.

Top Bottom