• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

bbb

Smash Champion
Lawl, can't begin to imagine Culex without my Peach!

We should just change this to a SMRPG discussion thread... j/k

Any way, this game is truly something to be experienced, so for all the nay-sayers, go play it, and if you have, you must be crazy to think this game doesn't deserve it's own character to represent it.

Geno wins. SMRPG wins.

kaid

Smash Master
The fact that you need to say that makes it unlikely Sakura will spend one of his precius 3rd party slots on Geno.

I mean, Mario, Peach and Bowser are already playable, after all...

I fully intend to play SMRPG (and castlevania, and Metal Gear) on the Wii's VC, but I do not feel any cult 3rd party character outweights people like Sonic, Megaman, and Simon Belmount.

bbb

Smash Champion
You make a valid point, BUT have any of them ever fought beside Mario as Geno has done? If so tell me. It's a legitamate question. :(

kaid

Smash Master
Luigi, Peach, Yoshi and Bowser?

If it's any consolation, If Geno was Nintendowned, I would support him as a Mario Franchise rep.

As a third party, however, there just isn't room.

Super Mario RPG was my favorite game of all time,so i'm all for Geno in smash.

I hope that he gets his arm cannons some how in the game.I would also love to se his 2nd special as a Brawl move(I think it's called Geno Rain or something,memory is kinda fuzzy :p)

Geno Beam ftw!!

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
SMRPG and Geno owns plain and simple.

He'd be a sweet addition to SSBB definately, and if he's gonna be in he'll probably be broken.. XD

Can anyone spare a link to the list of characters nominated by the Japanese [if possible]?

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Okay, my head hurts too much after trying to back track through all that... Magar guy's "posts" he made while I was gone, so I think I'll just drop whatever the heck topic I was debating about earlier and move on to a new aspect.

Assuming that Geno is still Square Enix owned (speculating on lack of evidence ever since M&L proved Square still owned him is unconducive to good debate), and assuming Nintendo wants a Squaresoft representative in their game for their (optional, as someone pointed out) third third-party slot (because the chances of Sonic not taking the 2nd third-part slot are pretty darn slim), Geno would have to compete with every other popular Square character that's been on a Nintendo console for both Nintendo AND Square's choice (because adding third-party characters is a two-way street, and Square isn't exactly someone Nintendo can muscle around and simply override if Square disagrees with them.)

Now, I can't weigh the popularity or iconicness of the individual one-game-only Final Fantasy characters against that of the individual one-game Geno, but as I've already hinted in my previous post, it's pretty darn obvious what character Squaresoft has on their mind first and foremost when it comes to choosing a character to be a guest alongside Mario and crew.

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/45761020060711_192711_0_big.jpg

(in case people haven't seen it already)

This should come as no surprise who this character is, seeing as how this character is recurring and from Square's flagship Final Fantasy series and thus represents Squaresoft themselves a lot better than Geno does. And odds are pretty good that if Squaresoft would want a character in Smash, they'd want that character to represent THEM, not "them and Nintendo combined"

So basically, for Geno to be in Brawl, Nintendo would first have to decide to have a third third-party character, and then Squaresoft would have to beat out Capcom, Hudson, and Namco for that final Third Party slot, and then after that, Geno would have to beat out all of Squaresoft's popular Nintendo'd game characters in BOTH Squaresoft's and Nintendo's eyes.

GenG

Smash Lord
I think third party characters limited to 2-3 it's only to prevent the game being populated by too many of them. Geno is a Mario-only character, so this rule doesn't affect him. He already fits in the mood of the Nintendo atmosphere of the game.

Of course, only IF that rule was intended to do what I said... Or maybe is for prevent paying too many "taxes" for the third party charcters licensing.

Oh, and Sakurai has the upper hand to choose characters. He knows Moogle is crap and doesn't fit as many other iconic and boring characters like Toad. The same can be said about Chocobo, Cactuar and such. Only main FF characters have chance, maybe the main character from FF3 for DS?

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Yeah.. His only appearances were in 2 mario games [1 being a er..hardly a character] so he wouldn't count as a third-party chara.

Chances are good he's gonna be in.. That poll [thanks icymatt] showed he was in the top wanted, like #3 or something close to that.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
GenG said:
I think third party characters limited to 2-3 it's only to prevent the game being populated by too many third party characters. Geno is a Mario-only character, so this rule doesn't affect him.

Of course, only IF that rule was intended to do what I said... Or maybe is for prevent paying too many "taxes" for the third party charcters licensing.
I will concede that assuming your second paragraph isn't true, Geno's case MIGHT be enough for Sakurai to fudge things a bit and not count Geno as third-party, but that still doesn't change the fact that Squaresoft would have to decide to include Geno too instead of someone else. Unless Nintendo was willing to pay Squaresoft for TWO characters. I can just picture a Squaresoft executive in that meeting now saying "Why yes yes! Please come sit down and have a seat!" as he grins evilly with money in his eyes. He'd have ALL the advantages in that negotiating situation ("Pay us tons of money to include this moogle to represent US or we won't let you have Geno!" as just one of many examples)

(...in the end, Sakurai's 2-3 third party limitation is likely a combination of the whole "Don't want too many third party characters because this is a NINTENDO game" and "Don't want to pay too much money for them" thing.)

Oh, and Sakurai has the upper hand to choose characters. He knows Moogle is crap and doesn't fit as many other iconic and boring characters like Toad. The same can be said about Chocobo, Cactuar and such. Only main FF characters have chance, maybe the main character from FF3 for DS?
Dude, this is SQUARE we're talking about here. NO ONE has the upper hand on NOTHING when it comes to SQUARE. No gaming console company in their right mind pisses off Square. Nintendo already learned that the hard way before. I don't see why they'd want to learn it the hard way again.

If Square wants someone else instead of Geno in the game, they're either going to get someone else instead of Geno in the game, or they'll have no one in the game because Nintendo's going to be unwilling to shell out the mass amount of money Square would charge for daring to defy them on the Geno issue. And Squaresoft won't really care that they don't have a characteri n Smash, because unlike Capcom or even Sega, Squaresoft is so ludicrously popular and mainstream that it doesn't need a character in Smash for marketting purposes anyways.

Haruno Kotetsu said:
Yeah.. His only appearances were in 2 mario games [1 being a er..hardly a character] so he wouldn't count as a third-party chara.

Chances are good he's gonna be in.. That poll [thanks icymatt] showed he was in the top wanted, like #3 or something close to that.
Not that anyone can prove whether or not Sakurai would count him as a third party character, but that was only a small part of my point anyways. Whether or not he counts as a third party character, he DEFINATELY legally counts as one, and all the poll results in the world (if that was even an actual poll. Sonic never showed up on it) won't change things if Squaresoft wants a character that better represents Squaresoft in the game.

If Squaresoft felt that Geno represented themselves best and loved him the best, they'd probably have had Geno be the first character introduced in Mario Hoops. Some people will say that maybe Geno will be in Mario Hoops and introduced last because Squaresoft likes him so much and wanted to make him a big secret? We can only speculate on that until the game comes out, but I find it pretty darn doubtful.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
IMO it wouldn't cost that much to use 2 Square charas (geno/mallow?) because its not like they're as major as mario.

Yeah. Nintendo isn't that stupid to piss square off because they're nintendo.. Not a rally of n00bs lol

icymatt

Smash Lord
Unless, of course, the Brawl developers go to them and ask to allow the use Geno.

Plus, you basically stated why I think it'd be a cheat for Geno to be counted as third-party character: When most people think third party, they think games that are not made by Nintendo. Super Mario RPG was published by Nintendo, and the only reason Geno is considered third party is because of some shared copyright issues. But in most people's eyes, Geno would be a Mario character.

But then again, maybe they want a cheater. They could include a third-party character who has definetly more to do with Nintendo than any other choice.

Bah, forget the method, I just want Geno.

And the site wasn't a poll. It was more like a mailbag.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Haruno Kotetsu said:
IMO it wouldn't cost that much to use 2 Square charas (geno/mallow?) because its not like they're as major as mario.

Yeah. Nintendo isn't that stupid to piss square off because they're nintendo.. Not a rally of n00bs lol
If you're the only seller of an item and you are NOT desperate to sell that item, then that item costs as much as you want it to cost. Let's say you're the only owner of Geno but you don't want to sell him. You're free to charge Nintendo as much as you friggin' want and they can't do anything about it besides say "Fine! Then we aren't buying!" to which you can just say "Oooooo, I'm so hurt! Ha! I didn't even want to sell him in the first place anyways."

Squaresoft isn't stupid either. There are sooooo many different ways they can GAIN in any deal for a Smash Bros. character that involves either charging stupid amounts of money or having Nintendo put in a character that actually represents THEM (OR BOTH!) that I don't think they'd pass it up, and if the deal falls through, then they have nothing to lose! I highly doubt a Squaresoft exec will be crying in his sleep because Nintendo refused to pay them a lot to have Geno in Smash Bros.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Tiamat said:
If you're the only seller of an item and you are NOT desperate to sell that item, then that item costs as much as you want it to cost. Let's say you're the only owner of Geno but you don't want to sell him. You're free to charge Nintendo as much as you friggin' want and they can't do anything about it besides say "Fine! Then we aren't buying!" to which you can just say "Oooooo, I'm so hurt! Ha! I didn't even want to sell him in the first place anyways."

Squaresoft isn't stupid either. There are sooooo many different ways they can GAIN in any deal for a Smash Bros. character that involves either charging stupid amounts of money or having Nintendo put in a character that actually represents THEM (OR BOTH!) that I don't think they'd pass it up, and if the deal falls through, then they have nothing to lose! I highly doubt a Squaresoft exec will be crying in his sleep because Nintendo refused to pay them a lot to have Geno in Smash Bros.
Yeah, they could make a buttload of money just for geno/mallow. Thanks for pointing that out, I'm not much of a talker.. XD

Icymatt: Yeah, Im not even gonna try and type all this method stuff. lol

GenG

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
Dude, this is SQUARE we're talking about here. NO ONE has the upper hand on NOTHING when it comes to SQUARE. No gaming console company in their right mind pisses off Square. Nintendo already learned that the hard way before. I don't see why they'd want to learn it the hard way again.

If Square wants someone else instead of Geno in the game, they're either going to get someone else instead of Geno in the game, or they'll have no one in the game because Nintendo's going to be unwilling to shell out the mass amount of money Square would charge for daring to defy them on the Geno issue. And Squaresoft won't really care that they don't have a characteri n Smash, because unlike Capcom or even Sega, Squaresoft is so ludicrously popular and mainstream that it doesn't need a character in Smash for marketting purposes anyways.
Well, Sakurai has a lot of freedom with Smash games. He can choose from characters, music and stages (Nintendo big cats can't say anything about it), and he has a lot of "friendships" in the japanese gaming industry, like Nobuo Uematsu or Kojima. He will be asking Square for Geno concretely, and Square can't offer any other character cause Sakurai wasn't looking for that. It isn't like going to buy a car and picking the catalog: "Hey, I like this car! I'll buy it!", "No sir, this car is not suited for you, what about this other, bigger, faster and cooler?", "Meh, I liked the other, I'll guess I'll pass...", "Come again!".
Sakurai looks for characters that may fit but being requested by people. Let's make a search to see how many Square characters match those two conditions, while being on a Nintendo console. You wouldn't find many.

Talking about Square representatives, Cloud is the main one, more recognizable than moogles and chocobos. He is not a Nintendo-friendly character, but then... Snake isn't either.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
GenG said:
Well, Sakurai has a lot of freedom with Smash games.
Clarification. He has a lot of freedom from NINTENDO with Smash games. Squaresoft isn't obligated to give him squat with freedom.

He can choose from characters, music and stages (Nintendo big cats can't say anything about it),
Bolded for emphasis because it doesn't include Square big cats.

and he has a lot of "friendships" in the japanese gaming industry, like Nobuo Uematsu or Kojima.
This would be a decent point if either of those people were the ones who were primarily responsible for Square characters. But they aren't. (Nobuo is only about the music, and I doubt he's personally invested so much that he'd kill Squaresoft for refusing to give Sakurai Geno).

He will be asking Square for Geno concretely, and Square can't offer any other character cause Sakurai wasn't looking for that.
That's not the point. The point is that Square doesn't have to give Sakurai any character at all.

Sakurai: Can we have Geno?

Square: We want a Final Fantasy character. Geno does not represent Final Fantasy.

Sakurai: But I want Geno.

Square: Sorry, but you either pay us a crapload of money to have Geno in, or you take a Final Fantasy character (and maybe pay a crapload of money for him). If you say "No"? That's fine. We're Square. We don't need a character in Smash Bros. to make ourselves popular.

Nintendo Fat Cats: GOOD LORD THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY! O_o

At the bargaining table, Squaresoft has ALL the cards in this situation. They are a seller of an exclusive product that doesn't need to sell, and the client doesn't want to piss them off or else incur their wrath. This gives them the BEST possible position you can ask for at the table. Either what Squaresoft says in this deal goes or YOU go, and Squaresoft doesn't care if you do.

It isn't like going to buy a car and picking the catalog: "Hey, I like this car! I'll buy it!", "No sir, this car is not suited for you, what about this other, bigger, faster and cooler?", "Meh, I liked the other, I'll guess I'll pass...", "Come again!".
No it isn't. A dealer HAS to sell to put food on the table. A dealer has COMPETITION. Square doesn't need to sell Geno at all to Nintendo. Square is the ONLY ONE that Nintendo can buy Geno from.

Sakurai looks for characters that may fit but being requested by people. Let's make a search to see how many Square characters match those two conditions, while being on a Nintendo console. You wouldn't find many.
Square has no business reason to care how many people are requesting Geno in a game that makes a different company money unless it makes Nintendo pay Square more money for it (which if anything goes against Geno even more).

Talking about Square representatives, Cloud is the main one, more recognizable than moogles and chocobos. He is not a Nintendo-friendly character, but then... Snake isn't either.
Do YOU see Cloud as the first Squaresoft character introduced in Mario Hoops 3 on 3? Not that it matters. If Square wants Cloud in instead of a moogle, that's still someone they'd want in over Geno that Nintendo would have to either take it or leave it. (Again, I must emphasize, Squaresoft is in the best position possible to say "Take it or leave it")

GenG

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
This would be a decent point if either of those people were the ones who were primarily responsible for Square characters. But they aren't. (Nobuo is only about the music, and I doubt he's personally invested so much that he'd kill Squaresoft for refusing to give Sakurai Geno).
What if Sakurai has a "friend" on Square? We don't know so... meh.

Tiamat said:
That's not the point. The point is that Square doesn't have to give Sakurai any character at all.
Have you heard about Games Developers Studio? It's a internal studio created from nothing solely by Nintendo founds, and it's focused on Nintendo consoles only. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Children of Mana, Sword of Mana (in collaboration with Brownie Brown), Final Fantasy ports and remakes for GBA, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2, Chronicles DS, Final Fantasy 3... Square is in friends with Nintendo at this moment.
So let's think about a scenario where Square refuses to lend to Sakurai (director to the most anticipated Nintendo game in Japan and the rest of the world) any character he wants... a FU**ING character from a series that they can't make profit at this point.

Cut the money flood to that studio.

This whole friendship with Nintendo could end, or maybe, get weak.

And you can't get in friends "paying" Nintendo, as happened 10 years ago with the N64 issue.

Why to throw the efforts to being friends again with one of the biggest interprises in the industry for a character? That's not how diplomacy works.

Tiamat said:
Sakurai: Can we have Geno?

Square: We want a Final Fantasy character. Geno does not represent Final Fantasy.

Sakurai: But I want Geno.

Square: Sorry, but you either pay us a crapload of money to have Geno in, or you take a Final Fantasy character (and maybe pay a crapload of money for him). If you say "No"? That's fine. We're Square. We don't need a character in Smash Bros. to make ourselves popular.

Nintendo Fat Cats: GOOD LORD THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY! O_o
This is like being too far, but can be applied to what I said. Nintendo DS is the best portable selling console in the world, Wii is a nice platform for developers... Square isn't that stupid. They don't want to break their relationship with Nintendo as easily.

Tiamat said:
At the bargaining table, Squaresoft has ALL the cards in this situation. They are a seller of an exclusive product that doesn't need to sell, and the client doesn't want to piss them off or else incur their wrath. This gives them the BEST possible position you can ask for at the table. Either what Squaresoft says in this deal goes or YOU go, and Squaresoft doesn't care if you do.
Again. Nintendo has the upper hand here. Geno or nothing. Geno or PISS OFF.

Tiamat said:
Do YOU see Cloud as the first Squaresoft character introduced in Mario Hoops 3 on 3? Not that it matters. If Square wants Cloud in instead of a moogle, that's still someone they'd want in over Geno that Nintendo would have to either take it or leave it. (Again, I must emphasize, Squaresoft is in the best position possible to say "Take it or leave it"

Square is developing the game, as a thanks, they include FF characters for boosting sales. As I said, Cloud won't likely make in because he is so Sony-owned. Neutral, yet iconic characters are better for a basketball game, but not for a fighting game.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I can't believe you're still going on in this debate. First you say TOAD should be in over Geno, then you say a MOOGLE should be in over Geno, and now you say CLOUD should be in Geno. I can't believe you went there.

Actually, seeing as how Final Fantasy is selling WAY better than SMRPG, it would cost more money to put in a Final Fantasy character in over Geno. Believe it or not, Nintendo makes games, and making games equals a lot of money(if you're a major developor like them) A lot of money means they COULD buy Geno, and Geno is more like Nintendo.

Why would Square say they want a Final Fantasy character in? They know that Geno is a great creation that people want to come back(for real, not just a little cameo), and this is the perfect time to do so. GenG pretty much ripped up all your other arguments.(Darn you GenG, I was getting to that!)

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Marshigio said:
I can't believe you're still going on in this debate. First you say TOAD should be in over Geno, then you say a MOOGLE should be in over Geno, and now you say CLOUD should be in Geno. I can't believe you went there.

Actually, seeing as how Final Fantasy is selling WAY better than SMRPG, it would cost more money to put in a Final Fantasy character in over Geno. Believe it or not, Nintendo makes games, and making games equals a lot of money(if you're a major developor like them) A lot of money means they COULD buy Geno, and Geno is more like Nintendo.

Why would Square say they want a Final Fantasy character in? They know that Geno is a great creation that people want to come back(for real, not just a little cameo), and this is the perfect time to do so. GenG pretty much ripped up all your other arguments.(Darn you GenG, I was getting to that!)
Aye, I dont have the attention span to type a lot. XD
Yeah this has been going on for a while.. It's not really a Geno topic anymore, it's like Nintendo VS Square O_o

bbb

Smash Champion
There's been too many quotes thus far, so I won't bother with any. Square has a lot to gain by putting in any character at all, Smash Bro.s is a huge money maker and I don't see why they would simply force some random character on it instead of just complying to a request.

And if Geno shows up Square could start having him show up in more things because everyone would remember him. Although this isn't necessary, or all that plausible, why'd I bring it up, I don't know.

I could have sworn I had more to say....

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
GenG said:
What if Sakurai has a "friend" on Square? We don't know so... meh.
Indeed. So we have to meh to that.

Have you heard about Games Developers Studio? It's a internal studio created from nothing solely by Nintendo founds, and it's focused on Nintendo consoles only. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Children of Mana, Sword of Mana (in collaboration with Brownie Brown), Final Fantasy ports and remakes for GBA, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2, Chronicles DS, Final Fantasy 3... Square is in friends with Nintendo at this moment.
So let's think about a scenario where Square refuses to lend to Sakurai (director to the most anticipated Nintendo game in Japan and the rest of the world) any character he wants... a FU**ING character from a series that they can't make profit at this point.

This whole friendship with Nintendo could end, or maybe, get weak.

And you can't get in friends "paying" Nintendo, as happened 10 years ago with the N64 issue.

Why to throw this work to being friends with one of the biggest interprises in the industry for a character? That's not how diplomacy works.
Friends or not, Squaresoft is a business. They will want a character in the game who suits their business needs the best. And for that, a character that adds exposure to their flagship franchise does that a lot more than a character they likely will never use again.

Square has little to gain by Geno being in Brawl (unless Nintendo pays them tons of money for it). Thus they have little to lose by not havnig Geno in Brawl. Thus there is no smart business reason whatsoever why Square would allow Geno to be in Brawl instead of press for a Final Fantasy character in it. But there are TONS of smart business reasons why Nintendo would not comply.

One reason is that from a business perspective, Nintendo currently needs Square more than Square needs Nintendo. As I've stated before and must constantly reiterate, Square is in the most powerful best business negotiating position you can possibly be in when it comes to this situation.

Another reason is that Nintendo will probably benefit more from a Final Fantasy character being in the game than Geno as well. Will you NOT buy this game if Geno isn't in it? I find that doubtful. You and most other Geno fans will be buying this game whether Geno is in it or not. But sheer basic logic makes me know for sure that there are many Final Fantasy fans out there who don't plan on getting Smash Bros. Brawl. They're two completely separate fanbases!. But will at least some huge Final Fantasy fans buy this game if a Final Fantasy character is in it? Well, to give you a hint, my brother plans on buying Mario Hoops after seeing that moogle in it.

This is like being to far or wretched, but can be applied to what I said. Nintendo DS is the best portable selling console in the world, Wii is a nice platform for developers... Square isn't that stupid. They want to break their relationship with Nintendo.
Not including Geno in Brawl won't break the relationship. Nintendo isn't going to break the relationshiop just because Squaresoft refused Geno. Nintendo *NEEDS* Squaresoft more than Squaresoft needs Nintendo.

Again. Nintendo has the upper hand here. Geno or nothing. Geno or PISS OFF.
No they don't. First, although we can only SPECULATE on the PS3 now, it's not too hard to figure out where Squaresoft is throwing their speculation. Last I checked, Square isn't planning THEIR HUGE RIDICULOUSLY POPULAR UBER FLAGSHIP FINAL FANTASY SERIES to be on the Wii.

Nintendo isn't going to break the relationship just because Square refused to allow them to have one character in a game. That's not how you run a business.

Square is developing the game, as a thanks, they include FF characters for boosting sales. As I said, Cloud won't likely make in because he is so Sony-owned. Neutral, yet iconic characters are better for a basketball game, but not for a fighting game.
Square is not including FF characters "as a thanks" to Nintendo. It's THEIR game. Including FF characters raises THEIR sales. If anything, including FF characters is "as a thanks" to themselves.

Plan 9 said:
There's been too many quotes thus far, so I won't bother with any. Square has a lot to gain by putting in any character at all, Smash Bro.s is a huge money maker and I don't see why they would simply force some random character on it instead of just complying to a request.

And if Geno shows up Square could start having him show up in more things because everyone would remember him. Although this isn't necessary, or all that plausible, why'd I bring it up, I don't know.

I could have sworn I had more to say....
Look at what you just said! Your First Paragraph + Your Second Paragraph = Square deciding on someone else for Brawl besides Geno.

A moogle is not random (Moogles are iconic, recurring, and popular. To the point where Square is having one in Mario Hoops). TONS of insanely popular FF characters are not random. And ALL of them dont' fall into the trap of your second paragraph like Geno does.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
No, do you know how wrong it would be if they put in a FF character over Geno? Sakurai said that this is for the hardcore smash players(also fans)so he intends to please them/majority of us, not the FF players.

Nintendo does INDEED have the upper hand. Nintendo can basically say to Square "Give us Geno, or we're putting in Megaman/Simon Belmont in the game".

bbb

Smash Champion
Tiamat said:
No they don't. First, although we can only SPECULATE on the PS3 now, it's not too hard to figure out where Squaresoft is throwing their speculation. Last I checked, Square isn't planning THEIR HUGE RIDICULOUSLY POPULAR UBER FLAGSHIP FINAL FANTASY SERIES to be on the Wii.
this is all I'm gunna deal with (laziness wins again). I could have sworn Crystal Chronicals was a large selling branch of Final Fantasy and there's already a trailer for the Wii exclusive installment. And also, who gets all the ports? Nintendo? That sounds aboot right.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
No, do you know how wrong it would be if they put in a FF character over Geno? Sakurai said that this is for the hardcore smash players(also fans)so he intends to please them/majority of us, not the FF players.
Like Square has any reason to care.

Nintendo does INDEED have the upper hand. Nintendo can basically say to Square "Give us Geno, or we're putting in Megaman/Simon Belmont in the game".
Square: OH NO! Nintendo doesn't plan on putting in our character that we never planned on using again anyways! TRULY WE HAVE MISSED OUT ON LOTS OF MONEY.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
Like Square has any reason to care.

Square: OH NO! Nintendo doesn't plan on paying us pennies to put in our character that we never planned on using again anyways! TRULY WE HAVE MISSED OUT ON LOTS OF MONEY.

Plan 9 said:
this is all I'm gunna deal with (laziness wins again). I could have sworn Crystal Chronicals was a large selling branch of Final Fantasy and there's already a trailer for the Wii exclusive installment. And also, who gets all the ports? Nintendo? That sounds aboot right.
It sold a lot. Anything SQUARE sells a lot. Which is why Nintendo needs Square more than Square needs Nintendo.

It sold a lot, but regular Final Fantasy games (of which haven't been on a Nintendo system since FF6) sell MORE. A LOT LOT LOT LOOOOOOOT MORE. Which is why Square needs Nintendo less than Nintendo needs Square.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Marshigio said:

-high fives-
Tiamat, we dont have to get all worked up for something we dont have much power over O_o
All we can do is sit back and wait, and if Geno's in, cool. If not, there's more characters. :\

Smash Bro.s is a HUGE cash cow. stop ignoring me

BUMP!!!
I'm with you, brotha.

bbb

Smash Champion
The problem with FF is it doesn't have any consistant MAIN characters, and all the iconic ones are Playstation exclusive, and you'll never play as a moogle for the same reason you'll never play as a shy guy, they're just bland little droids.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
They have missed out on a lot of money actually....SSBM was the best-selling game on the Gamecube, and SSBB does indeed have a great chance of selling great. Square putting in a character in one of the best-selling games=a LOT of money and publicity.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Yeah, on my SSBM case it says "BEST SELLER!" XD
Square would make loads putting in SMRPG characters like Geno and Mallow. Well maybe not Mallow but still :\

bbb

Smash Champion
Marshigio said:
They have missed out on a lot of money actually....SSBM was the best-selling game on the Gamecube, and SSBB does indeed have a great chance of selling great. Square putting in a character in one of the best-selling games=a LOT of money and publicity.
HA! I beat you to that one, and it shows your still ignoring me. :(

Mallow sucks

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Tiamat, you're just no gonna stop until everyone bows down in front of you, kissing your feet, saying, "You're so right! We're not worthy! You know everything!"

You act as though you run Square or something and therefore know everything there is to know about how they'll deal with Nintendo. If Sakurai walks into Square and says, "We'd like to use Geno for our new game. We'll give you lots of money." Square will say "Sure, whatever." No matter what anyone says, money DOES make the world go round. If Nintendo waves a check in front of Square's nose, Square will be happy to give them any character Nintendo wants.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Plan 9, we're not ignoring you, because I'm arguing with Tiamat and Tiamat is arguing with...about 5 people since so many are opposed to what he says.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Plan 9 said:
The problem with FF is it doesn't have any consistant MAIN characters, and all the iconic ones are Playstation exclusive, and you'll never play as a moogle for the same reason you'll never play as a shy guy, they're just bland little droids.
Indeed. You'll never ever EVER play as a Moogle.

Why did you mention Shy Guy? You do know he's playable in Mario Tennis and Mario Kart DS, right? Unless you meant just for Smash Bros, in which case there are tons of other factors working against Shy Guy that don't apply to Mog or "A Moogle"

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
I bow to no one D:

YEah mallow sucks. I was using him as an example lol.

Plan 9, we're not ignoring you, because I'm arguing with Tiamat and Tiamat is arguing with...about 5 people since so many are opposed to what he says.
Exactly.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
DokturSea said:
Tiamat, you're just no gonna stop until everyone bows down in front of you, kissing your feet, saying, "You're so right! We're not worthy! You know everything!"

You act as though you run Square or something and therefore know everything there is to know about how they'll deal with Nintendo. If Sakurai walks into Square and says, "We'd like to use Geno for our new game. We'll give you lots of money." Square will say "Sure, whatever." No matter what anyone says, money DOES make the world go round. If Nintendo waves a check in front of Square's nose, Square will be happy to give them any character Nintendo wants.
I've already indirectly addressed this. Sakurai might have freedom with Smash Bros., but I'm sure his leverage goes down the drain once he starts having to ask the Nintendo fat cats for "lots of money" to buy third party characters who are of questionable practical business benefit (again, how many Geno fans in the world are there that will buy Brawl if it has Geno in it where they wouldn't have brought Brawl otherwise?)

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Tiamat, Mario Hoops is a sports game. It's obscure and if you're going to argue halfa** characters, it shows that you're not taking this seriously. Waluigi=Moogle which is sad.

To answer your question Tiamat, a lot would. Geno hasn't played a major role for 10(11?) years, and the SNES era was one the greatest in the video game market. SMRPG was one of the greatest games in the greatest eras, and Geno was one of the greatest characters in one of the greatest games in one of the greatest eras.

Some older videogame players still play games from the SNES. Fire Emblem, Mario side-scrollers, and Mario RPG are just some examples of the highpoints in some of Nintendo's key franchises. Those games were best on the SNES, and some people were dissapointed by the N64 and dissapointed by Nintendo. Therefore, bringing back one of their most memorable characters makes them want to try the game.

Trust me, Nintendo has lost a LOT of fans over the years.

Top Bottom